TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Lagoon Photo TR, Including Wicked.

Well my recent 10+ hour trek up to Salt Lake City and Lagoon was supposed to be a nice "weekend" trip. The problem is Laghoon proved to have a theme of "The park that had potential, but never used it".

So Our drive up to Salt Lake City allowed us to go straight up the center of AZ, including Flagstaff and Glen Canyon Dam/Lake Powell (which proved to be the surprise of the trip.) The only problem with this is I wanted to rent a Saturn Outlook (For all you non car people it is one of the 3 really sweet GM crossovers). Unfortunately they couldn't get it, so I ended up with the Ford Expedition which might as well be a tank. To make a long story short, the Expedition that I rented is not meant for canyon carving.

Anyway onto the park!

Lagoon reminded me a lot of Frontier City in Oklahoma City, except it is probably around double the size with twice as many rides. Some of the rides were good some were just pretty bad. Unfortunately this park had a bunch of oppurtunities to be great, but it never seemed to seize them. Shade was often limited in lines, and the refillable mug is one of those like 84 oz thirst quenchers. The problem is lagoon does not allow stuff to be placed in the station (no boxes, cubbholes, nothing) and the only ride that had lockers was Wicked, otherwise you have to trek all the way to the front for the lockers. Talk about poor ergonomics.

Anyway here are my Ride Reviews, all are out of 10:

Wicked, 8:

Wicked, unfortunately was really the only ride that was worth a sh$% at lagoon. You load into the 8 person cars that have restraints that are a mixe between the Premier LIM coasters and the B&M Speed Coasters, but are not as comfortable as either. You do a 180 out of the station and immediately hit the first lauch that gets you going up the spike, and then around 20-30 feet up the spike you hit the other launch that gets you all the way up and over.

You get a real nice pop of airtime on coming over the top, and the drop down is pretty sweet. You hit another speed bump that gives you another little pop of air and then you experience the overbanked turn followed by the surprisingly sweet inline twist. After that it is pretty normal, the brakes are hard on the MCBR, and the rest is just a little mundane. All in all, not to bad.

Spider, 5

I wanted to like this ride, but i just couldn't. It looked kind of junky, which is sad cause it is only like 4 years old, and it rode like a traveling coaster that has been taken apart one to many times. It was kind rough and bumpy and the whole spinning and banking at the same time was kinda lost on me. It was more like being raped by a monkey than actually riding a coaster. So what was the point?

Colossus the Fire Dragon, 7

If you actually got to choose your seats this would have been kick ass, but we got stuck in the front of the third car, so the ride was about as mundane as it could be. But it does have those Schwarzkopfian loops that are simply the best. The ride is shockingly smooth and intens, but the lackluster management of the park and the ride ops kinda detract from the overall quality of the ride.

Bat, 5

Yep it is a SNLC and no one cares about it, pretty much the same experience as its bigger brothers just it doesn't go upside down or look cool.

Roller Coaster , 6

Rode similar to Colossus at magic mountain, has some airtime but is ridiculously bouncy and you can actually feel the train cars flex at certain times. Needs to be taken better car of, also has crappy ride ops.

Wild Mouse, 6

Yep, nothing to get excited about here, the switch backs are fine but the brake is on REALLY hard right before the drops so the intensity of them is lost. It does have a cute "Mouse House" tunnel though.

Jet Star 2, 6

Another average roller coaster ridinbg experience at lagoon, it is smooth and intense and women will REALLY love the lift hill, but i found that portion horribly unpleasant. Good but nothing spectacular which is another theme Lagoon seems to have.

All and all, Lagoon is a fine park, the problem is there are so many better parks that it is hard to justify going to it, go only if you are in the area, otherwise might as well skip.

DSCF0697.JPG.7f41eef19746760383ad681f662323df.JPG

I'm not really sure what the hell this thing is, but they claim it is a "Roller Coaster". It had airtime, and looked like one, but I'm pretty sure it fell apart while riding it. (and i'm not being dramatic....)

DSCF0690.JPG.1a3fe6160ce775b7e6b6ea563bcd96b8.JPG

Yah... I don't care either..... At least it had a house....

DSCF0684.JPG.8983b79bf26676b88ba58f2218f708e9.JPG

Tthe twisting, turning ending that is taken at a very relaxed speed.

DSCF0686.JPG.0d2d1b9bc31918e87211bc145183eb90.JPG

First drop! it really is cool to get launched up it, and then go straight down, not TTD or XLR8R cool, but still pretty kick ass, the little hop afterward also gives you some air.

DSCF0681.JPG.e476e9caa3c0c11773f0e3d1d219f351.JPG

The first overbank, similar to MF, in which it is a really good part before it gets boring.

DSCF0679.JPG.1e7780fe1cc942a44f0188651c4c399b.JPG

Signature, through the trees shot, well maybe not, but the inline twist really is cool.

DSCF0701.JPG.13c29b2131e3d5d8cf77bbc56d13d07c.JPG

You get a nice jolt of air on that hill! To put it simply everything until the mid course brakes totally kicks ass, everything after is just tame.

DSCF0688.JPG.17221307d1f07b6ba787fb49b29fae90.JPG

The wicked sign, I thought, was surprisingly cool.

DSCF0693.JPG.69129da85db183d35b0fcc7e514f81cc.JPG

The second best ride here, the only problem is assigned seating, goody. But you gotta love the loops, simply heaven.

DSCF0692.JPG.7a1e4b3ff46f2f14f77341ef5643c0a6.JPG

Another Fire Dragon, it really is smooth and fun.

DSCF0678.JPG.49d1b8ab3c0bde3cbc3587ae69e347f4.JPG

Spider looked like it would be really fun, but it rode like a traveling coaster that had been taken apart to many times, and the fact that the seats were not ergonomically comfortable for my boys was a big problem.

DSCF0676.JPG.a566f7d80486b19903cecca1dc59297e.JPG

Bat.... There really is no reason to acknowledge this coaster exists, so i wont.

DSCF0675.JPG.c2cd7e979743fcf175cf4257c45d7073.JPG

See, no shade, and the cars seat 6 people so...... this may kinda suck, ok it did suck....

DSCF0670.JPG.6ef74f4094d27befbadcce1f720a85f5.JPG

Nice view of Jet Star 2, decent ride, but the lift hill is a sexual vibrator.

DSCF0671.JPG.872d1a759673de40fe4dc4295d3090b6.JPG

Skyline view, it seems like such a nice park, too bad it really kinda stinks in a ghetto fabulous way.

DSCF0664.JPG.55ede517716556c132b0a639c2070efe.JPG

Skyline of Lagoon, it looks so innocent from here....

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice trip report! I haven't seen much of this park before. I have a question for you. Is Colossus the Fire Dragon the same ride as Laser at Dorney? Both rides look the same.

Yes, but it has one extra curve that Laser doesn't.

Colossus is Laser with a little bit more helix.

Laser is Scorpion with an extra loop. (However, a bit of the first helix threads the loop, as opposed to an airtime hill.)

About that: Schwarzkopf's "Doppel-Looping" models have a very similar track layout to the Silberpfeils: (X = track crosses course, O = track does not cross , / = helix, * = loop)

Silberpfeil: OX*/X//

Doppel Looping: OX**/X//

Laser also has an assigned seating policy. I know it's because they are portable coasters but considering both rides have been at their parks for 20+ years, I think both parks should have built a real station with gates so you can choose your row. It's annoying to have only 5 people in line for Laser and having to sit in the middle of the train while the last car is empty.

Lagoon reminded me a lot of Frontier City in Oklahoma City, except it is probably around double the size with twice as many rides. Some of the rides were good some were just pretty bad. Unfortunately this park had a bunch of oppurtunities to be great, but it never seemed to seize them. Shade was often limited in lines, and the refillable mug is one of those like 84 oz thirst quenchers. The problem is lagoon does not allow stuff to be placed in the station (no boxes, cubbholes, nothing) and the only ride that had lockers was Wicked, otherwise you have to trek all the way to the front for the lockers. Talk about poor ergonomics.

The reason why Lagoon has a Universal No Loose Articles Policy is that Most of the Coaster Stations do not have the Space for Loose Articles Boxes and to also have a Consistent Policy. I agree that Lockers should be installed in other Areas of the Park.

Spider, 5

I wanted to like this ride, but i just couldn't. It looked kind of junky, which is sad cause it is only like 4 years old, and it rode like a traveling coaster that has been taken apart one to many times. It was kind rough and bumpy and the whole spinning and banking at the same time was kinda lost on me. It was more like being raped by a monkey than actually riding a coaster. So what was the point?

I've noticed lately that Spider does look Faded, but then again, it is in a Desert and Utah. You must have also been in a Train with Worn Wheels, which sucks, as it's usually a good Ride.

Colossus the Fire Dragon, 7

If you actually got to choose your seats this would have been kick a$$, but we got stuck in the front of the third car, so the ride was about as mundane as it could be. But it does have those Schwarzkopfian loops that are simply the best. The ride is shockingly smooth and intens, but the lackluster management of the park and the ride ops kinda detract from the overall quality of the ride.

There are 2 Main Reasons why Dragon has an Assigned Seating Policy, as with many other Coasters like it. First, if you didn't notice, the station is small and there is no space to queue for a particular seat. Second, the straightaway between the Vertical Loops is a Roll Back Point. If all the weight was in the back of the Train, it could and will Roll Back.

Roller Coaster , 6

Rode similar to Colossus at magic mountain, has some airtime but is ridiculously bouncy and you can actually feel the train cars flex at certain times. Needs to be taken better car of, also has crappy ride ops.

I like the feeling of the Trains Flexing, it's part of the fun! lol I agree that the Ride needs some MAJOR TLC and the Ops do Suck!

Wild Mouse, 6

Yep, nothing to get excited about here, the switch backs are fine but the brake is on REALLY hard right before the drops so the intensity of them is lost. It does have a cute "Mouse House" tunnel though.

I think the Trims add to the ride as they are hard and rough. lol

All and all, Lagoon is a fine park, the problem is there are so many better parks that it is hard to justify going to it, go only if you are in the area, otherwise might as well skip.

One Less Person in Line for Wicked! Woot! lol

Sorry you were so disappointed with our park. If you would have visited lagoonisfun.com, we could have told you how ghetto fabulous it can truly be! lol

Well I hate to say, but yeah a lot of your rides actually do, Roller Coaster has a big enough station (where the ride ops were ridiculously rude, that I actually walked away and did not come back for hours). I'm not asking for sorted and numbered cubby holes, simple Deja Vu 4'x2' boxes would completely work. The whole sky ride incident WOULD NOT have completely pissed me off, if they had consistency, you know a back pack, purse, cell phone, camera ect. would likely hurt just as bad as the big ass cup. I don't hate lagoon, I would much rather go to it than many other parks but the fact that certain areas in the park seem to have different rules than other areas.

Well I hate to say, but yeah a lot of your rides actually do, Roller Coaster has a big enough station (where the ride ops were ridiculously rude, that I actually walked away and did not come back for hours). I'm not asking for sorted and numbered cubby holes, simple Deja Vu 4'x2' boxes would completely work. The whole sky ride incident WOULD NOT have completely pissed me off, if they had consistency, you know a back pack, purse, cell phone, camera ect. would likely hurt just as bad as the big a$$ cup. I don't hate lagoon, I would much rather go to it than many other parks but the fact that certain areas in the park seem to have different rules than other areas.

I should clearify that the "No Loose Articles Policy" I was talking about was for the Roller Coasters. Roller Coaster, The Bat, and Wicked do have space on the Platform For Bins, perhaps like those on The Rocket, but the park feels it's better to have you take it with you than leave it behind. I stopped trying to figure out Lagoon the first week I was a Ride Op in 1999! lol