Rye Playland Discussion Thread

P. 30: The future(?) amid the squabbling
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Lady Gaga > Living with the Land > Apple

ride accidents

Postby allisonLOVEsTPR » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:07 pm

it is always important to understand the details in each incident. while i am not saying that the girl in this case did anything wrong, it says that the little boy climbed out of his seat, the other girl got out of her restraint and the guy waded into the lake, all of these are not the faulty actions of the park.Its called rider responsibility. People need to not think that just because they are at a park they can do whatever they want and nothing will happen. a ride opporater can only do so much. They cant hold you in your seat or get into your head and tell you to do what your suppose to. theme parks are dangerous places but can easily be enjoyed by everyone if you follow the rules which really isn't that hard. Its really unfortunate that anyone just looking for a day of fun would not make it home and my heart goes out to all of there familys.

always

Allison

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby bulldogmom » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:18 am

I've never been to this park but I believe the ride is an indoor scrambler w/a light/sound show. We used to have one at Kennywood called the Space Odyssey- I loved it.
Anyway, the latest news is that the seats had high backs on them and that the ride op couldn't see that the victim was kneeling on one of the seats strapping somebody in. It said as soon as he saw that she wasn't clear he stopped the ride, but she had already been flung to her death. To make things worse, according to the news, some morons waiting were going, "Come on, start the ride!" It seems like the guy who started the ride would be at fault for not waiting until he saw that his partner was safely away from the ride- however, depending on his training and the park's policies, he could be safe. Either way, it looks like lawsuit city.
Home Park: Kennywood
Favorite Park: Cedar Point
Favorite Coaster: Millennium Force (steel); Beast (wood)
Coasters Ridden: 72

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby verticalzero » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:13 am

The Ops running the ride should check all the seatbelts etc before pressing the "start" button, the women killed worked at the park should of known better. I don't feel sorry for people who don't follow the rules on rides.

There should not be any legal action taken, it's the riders fault not the parks.
"Roller coaster design is a science, as well as an art: a state of pure bliss".

--------------------------------------

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby unkadug » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:33 am

verticalzero wrote:The Ops running the ride should check all the seatbelts etc before pressing the "start" button, the women killed worked at the park should of known better. I don't feel sorry for people who don't follow the rules on rides.

There should not be any legal action taken, it's the riders fault not the parks.

Wow...someone didn't read the thread!

HOW IN THE WORLD WAS IT HER FAULT?

Final Destination Guy!

Postby Goliath513 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:36 pm

Oh god not another accident. :(

Seriously, I can't believe the ride ops were careless enough to not check the seat belts before dispatching the ride.

Flight of James: Ride of Steel the Revenge

Postby jamesdillaman » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:49 pm

verticalzero wrote:The Ops running the ride should check all the seatbelts etc before pressing the "start" button, the women killed worked at the park should of known better. I don't feel sorry for people who don't follow the rules on rides.

It's definitely the ride operator's fault. And their could be legal action against the ride op or the park, depending on the laws and the facts of the case.

-James Dillaman

Delicious & Refreshing

Rye Playland being considered for closure

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:06 am

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/Questionable-Future-for-Rye-Playland-99811849.html

Ask almost any long time Westchester County resident about Rye Playland and they'll come up with a favorite childhood memory to tell you about. "Real good memories," Said Antony Cruz of Port Chester. "My mom and dad used to drop me off I used to come here with my friends and enjoy life." Paul Redd of Sleepy Hollow also looked back with fondness of the historic, decades old amusement park. "I pretty much grew up here," said Redd. "I worked here, I played here, I slept on the beach. It's really a part of my youth." That's why news that there may be a plan to close it down has hit some park goers hard.

Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino is looking for ways to better use the public park land -- and he points to decades of tax payer waste.
Rye Playland is the only amusement park in the nation that is owned and operated by the government. Playland hasn't earned a profit in at least a generation. The park costs between 3 and 6 million dollars a year to operate. Astorino says it makes more fiscal sense to shut it down. "Seventy percent of the park patrons are non county residents," Astorino said. "So in effect you county people paying to subsidize a park that county residents don't attend, but non residents do."

There's no clear plan for what will go in it's place. Waterfront condos are out of the question because it is public parkland, but Astorino is soliciting ideas. "It's a blank slate right now as far as I'm concerned," said Astorino. "Let's go out to the market place, see what ideas come back, what suggestions come back. Who would like to run it, for what price... what they'd like to put there."

But 11-year-old James Simone from Larchmont doesn't care how much it costs to keep the park going. "I really don't want it to close because its really the only amusement park that I can go to," he said. His mother, Marcella, agrees: "We need to keep it. We have to do what ever we could to keep it."

If the park does close down it won't be overnight. Astorino estimates they'll need a year-and-a-half to decide on a plan. Depending on what they chose, the Westchester County Board and the State Legislature will need to give their approval.
Last edited by larrygator on Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:07 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: NEWS: Rye Playland being considered for closure

Postby cal1br3tto » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:26 am

Honestly, this makes me sad. However, I'm sure it isn't the greatest park around, and I totally understand the reasoning behind closing it. It's just disappointing because it's a park I would definitely consider visiting due to my affection for classic parks and coasters.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby coaster-crazy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:49 am

Dang... Let's hope they find some way to keep it operating for some time.. or atleast have a few rides or the coaster operating on the side.
Check out the official TPR Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk thread!
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=53779

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillrider » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:01 am

All parks cost money to run. My city picnic park cost's the city money to keep it up and running. So should they just close it down and build condos because it's not making them money?

Not only that, but it was mentioned that most of the people that visit the park are from out of town. That would mean a lot of revenue loss for local businesses and a reduction in tax money as well.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!