TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 119: Test Track closure announced, new concept art released!

I met Gary Sinise last year at the Candlelight Processional. I was singing in the choir and had a chance to talk to him backstage. He is a really nice guy and it looks like he is doing it every year. I think he told me he missed only 2005 or so.

--Soren

1405812975_DSC05929(450x600).jpg.4904935f3511e5d1178c6506913456f0.jpg

My awseome costume for the choir

^ just for you, Wes!

Gary Alan Sinise (born March 17, 1955) is an Emmy and Golden Globe winning, Golden Palm and Academy Award nominated American actor and film director. In 1992, he directed the film and played the role of George Milton in the movie adaption of "Of Mice and Men." Sinise was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in 1994 for his role as Lieutenant Dan Taylor in Forrest Gump. He won a Golden Globe award for Best Actor in a TV Movie or Miniseries for his role in Truman. In 1996, he played a corrupt cop in the Ron Howard dramatic hit Ransom. In 1998, Sinise was awarded an Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Movie for George Wallace.

Biography

Early life

Sinise was born in Blue Island, Illinois, and is of Italian descent[1]. In 1973, Sinise and two friends, Terry Kinney and Jeff Perry, founded the Steppenwolf Theatre Company. Since its founding, Steppenwolf has showcased the talents of such notable actors as Kevin Anderson, Joan Allen, Gary Cole, Glenne Headly, John Malkovich, Jim True-Frost and Laurie Metcalf. At Steppenwolf, Sinise was able to hone his acting and directing skills.

Career

In 1982, Sinise's career began to take off when he directed and starred in Steppenwolf's production of True West. In 1983, he earned an Obie Award for his direction and a year later appeared with John Malkovich in the PBS' American Playhouse production of the play. In 1988, Gary directed Miles from Home, a movie starring Richard Gere, about two brothers' fight against the foreclosure of the family farm. It is considered a commentary on the issue that troubled many family farms in the 1980s. It was shot entirely on location in Iowa.

Sinise has also appeared in Forrest Gump, Of Mice and Men, Apollo 13, Reindeer Games, Mission to Mars, and The Stand. He has starred in two adaptations of John Steinbeck novels, Of Mice and Men, which he also directed, as well as the television broadcast version of The Grapes of Wrath. He also narrated the audio books for Travels with Charley and Of Mice and Men and is reportedly a great Steinbeck fan. Sinise once directed an episode of Thirtysomething, where his friend Terry Kinney had a recurring role.

In 2004, he began his first regular television series, in the crime drama CSI: New York, in which he plays Detective Mac Taylor. Sinise's musical prowess is demonstrated in CSI: NY season 2 episode 14, where, in the last moments of the episode, he plays the bass guitar in a jazz club with musicians Kimo and Carol Williams. Kimo Williams is a real life friend outside of television, and they belong to a band called the Lt. Dan Band, which frequently plays for the USO and other events.

It is rumored that he will play Dr. McCoy in Star Trek, a film reimagining of Star Trek.

He is the host in the video for the Epcot ride Mission: SPACE, at Walt Disney World, Orlando, FL.

Personal life

Since 2003, he has been involved with the Lt. Dan Band, performing for charities and non-profit organisations including the United Service Organizations and Operation Iraqi Children. The band is named for the character Sinise plays in Forrest Gump; he plays bass for the band. He has been married to actress Moira Harris since 1981 and they have three children together: Sophia Ana (b. 1988), McCanna Anthony (b. 1990), and Ella Jane (b. 1992).

In 2003, Sinise was awarded an honorary doctorate in humane letters by Amherst College.

Sinise has been actively supporting United States troops and has plans of going to Iraq to show his appreciation. Most recently, he has donated $35,000 in support of a veterans hospital.

Filmography

Year Film Role

1984 Family Secrets (TV) Motorcyclist

True West (TV broadcast of the play) Austin

1989 The Final Days (TV) Richard Ben-Veniste

My Name is Bill W. (TV) Ebby, Bill's best friend

1991 The Grapes of Wrath (TV broadcast of the play) Tom Joad

1992 Of Mice and Men George Milton

A Midnight Clear Vance 'Mother' Wilkins

The Witness (TV) Young Soldier

1993 Jack the Bear Norman Strick

1994 Forrest Gump Lt. Dan Taylor

The Stand (TV miniseries) Stu Redman

1995 Truman (TV) Harry S. Truman

Apollo 13 Ken Mattingly

The Quick and the Dead The Marshal

1996 Ransom Det. Jimmy Shaker

Albino Alligator Milo

1997 George Wallace (TV) George C. Wallace

1998 Snake Eyes Commander Kevin Dunne

1999 The Green Mile Burt Hammersmith

It's the Rage Morgan

That Championship Season (TV) Tom Daley

2000 Bruno Dino Battaglia

Mission to Mars Jim McConnell

Reindeer Games Gabriel Mercer

2001 A Gentleman's Game Foster Pearse

2002 Path to War George Wallace (uncredited)

Made-Up Duncan Tivey

Impostor Spencer Olham

2003 Fallen Angel (TV) Terry

The Human Stain Nathan Zuckerman

Mission: SPACE (Disney Ride) Capcom

2004 The Forgotten Dr. Jack Munce

CSI: NY (TV series) Det. Mac Taylor

The Big Bounce Ray Ritchie

2006 Open Season Shaw (voice)

--Soren

This will be my fourth year doing the candlelight processional. In the past 3 years, I have had:

2004 - Joshua Morrow - He was probably my least favorite of the 3

2005 - John Stamos (Uncle Jessie!) - He did a really good job and was pretty funny on the side

2006 - Brian Dennehy - This guy did a great job and was quite humorous

My school hasn't decided when we are going this year but hopefully it will be someone good. I'd love to see David Robinson but I think it's too early for us

• 4 months later...

We are starting to plan a trip to WDW for next year and was wondering if anyone has evenr been on a segway tour that they give at Epcot??? From picture Ive seen it looks great but was wondering from people who have been on it if it is worth the money(by the way how much did it cost) and something you would recommend.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/parks/tourDetail?id=AroundtheWorldEpcotTourPage

The cost is $85/person for 2 hours. There are discounts available for AAA or for using a Disney credit card.

I'm considering doing this on my WDW trip in January, but the cost does seem a bit high. I'm sure it's a ton of fun, but I can think of better uses of $85. And I'm not fond of upcharge attractions as a rule.

I made the Segway tour around the world a few times and I always enjoyed it. It is a 2 hour tour and starts with 1 hour training at Innoventions. There they are showing you how the Segway works and how you are going to ride it in the right and save way. After that you will start your 1 hour tour around the world.

From Innoventions you are first going to the Figment attraction for a quick restroom break and from there directly to the World Showcase. You are passing Mexico and Norway without much notice. Then you will start with China (remember the World Schowcase from China to the International Gateway is still closed for all other Guest, at that time), there the guide will tell you a few facts about the country and you are going to roll around the pavilion. From China you will make it over Germany (also a stop) to Italy. In Italy you will have a bit time of your own to make pictures and rolling around. Next stop will be Japan, Morocco and France (always with a stop and the guide will tell you a story about countries). From France you will make it back to Future World and everything is nearly over. At the end you will get a special Pin, which you only get when you made the tour.

Like I said, I made the tour a few times and can only recommend it!

Times: Tours run 4 times daily, 7:45 am, 8:30 am, 9:00 am, and 9:30 am.

Cost: $85 per person (includes tax).

Booking: here - Walt DisneyWorld or at any Guest Relations window.

--Soren