Photo TR: Tom's North American Adventure!

All updates Posted! Final pics on Page 16.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Non-German Tom

Photo TR: Tom's North American Adventure!

Postby Shockwave » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:19 pm

Hey folks!

Just over a week ago I got from my biggest trip to date with my good friend Ian, which was a huge tour across the United States. From Minneapolis to Martin's Fantasy Island, and Canada's Wonderland to the Colonel H. Sanders Museum, I covered a lot of ground. This is the story of where I went in 20 days of great friends, great parks, fast driving, fast food and poor bowel movements.

It was a really memorable trip, in no small part thanks to the amazing company along the way. So as always, thanks to everyone who took the time to put up with me!

Thanks to Ian for his photos too, my report would look lame without them.

Table of Contents:
Part 1a and 1b - Driving to Michigan, Michigan's Adventure.
Part 2 - Canada's Wonderland
Part 3a - Marineland
Part 3b - Niagara Falls, Martin's Fantasy Island and Anchor Bar
Part 4a - Darien Lake
Part 4b - Seabreeze
Part 4c - Waldameer
Part 5a - Idlewild Park
Part 5b - The drive back to Chicago, plus a bonus park!
Part 6 - Valleyfair & Mall of America
Part 7 - The Wisconsin Dells - Mt. Olympus, Riverview and Timber Falls
Part 8 - Six Flags Great America - A quick trip report
Part 9 - Indiana Beach
Part 10a - Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom
Part 10b - Beech Bend
Part 11 - Dollywood
Part 12 - Holiday World
Part 13 - Kings Island
Part 14- The White Castle Challenge!
Part 15 - Cedar Point, Kennywood, Geauga Lake

Part 1a - Driving to Grand Rapids, Michigan

The adventure begins at Manchester Airport at 10am. 40 mins before getting on the plane, I manage to lose my PASSPORT in the bar at the departure lounge. Luckily 39 minutes before I got on my flight I had found it again. I've made a bad habit out of losing things whenever I go on holiday, and I wasn't about to let that happen again. So I kept everything well within sight until I touched down in Chicago.

Thanks to being one of about 5 non-Americans on the flight, it took all of 2 minutes to get through Immigration, and then it was off to pick up my hire car. I grabbed the nicest looking Pontiac G6 going - heathed leather seats and all! Not really necessary with the temperature in the 90s though.

With my luggage in the boot (or trunk, whatever that is) it was time to drive to Grand Rapids for the night...
thecar.jpg
Isn't she a beaut! Goes like a rocket, but handles like a canal boat.
aurorasign.jpg
That's the exit for Aurora, IL of Wayne's World fame. Excellent!
hindsdaleoasis.jpg
Apart from the wacky food on the plane, I hadn't eaten much all day, so I went for a bite to eat at a service plaza.
firstmaccydsmeal.jpg
When in the US...
traffic.jpg
Back on the Interstate, it was business as usual getting around the rush hour traffic. Stop-start, stop-start, etc etc.
driving.jpg
Don't worry, I didn't go on the "wrong" side of the road once!
minicoopers.jpg
Get back on the Italian Job already!
reststop.jpg
Halfway along, and here's one of those classy Michigan rest areas!
drpeppers.jpg
Complete with two flavours of Dr. Pepper that I've never seen before!
grandrapidssign.jpg
There's the Grand Rapids sign, but how the bloody hell did I end up back in Europe?
sunsetmirror.jpg
Sunset signals the end of the first leg of the trip.
super8sign.jpg
And the first of many Super 8s! Michigan's Adventure coming soon...

2012+Mayan=BS!

Postby Chris Benvenuto » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:13 pm

Yeah, Michigan road stops.....are real classy.....NOT!

Michigan's so ghetto it couldn't save itself, Wait till' you see Detroit now that is freakin' ghetto. You probably most likely will not see Detroit, but if you do stop there that's where ghetto gets to it's prime.

Well, enough bashing of my state, stupid Kilpatrick effing up Detroit. I don't even know how he got re-elected as mayor.....OY!

Chris "Lovely MISH-EE-GAN!" Benvenuto

Non-German Tom

Postby Shockwave » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:09 pm

Part 1b - Michigan's Adventure

Michigan's Adventure was the first park of the trip, and all those fears about the lack of shade and the mass of concrete came true! Apparently a lot of trees were cut back after one fell over onto a ride during a storm. This wouldn't be so bad if there other sheltered areas outdoors, but apart from umbrellas on the garden furniture outside the food outlets there wan't any! So nice going there Cedar Fair.

The park is also very lacklustre, with nothing special ridewise to make it stand out from the crowd. I'd describe it as "bland". Not a bad park to go, but not much there to spice it up a bit. And sometimes that's worse.

There were a few good points. The staff as a whole were very polite, Shivering Timbers was excellent, and made the park a little more worth the visit. They also have Swan Boats, which Alton Towers don't, and unlike Alton Towers they actually pay the license for some real music to get piped around the park.

But none of that is really much worth shouting about. I was done in just over 2 hours, and was on the way to Toronto for the next park of the trip. So here's how it went....
miadventureentry.jpg
Here we are! And the car park looks heaving already.
carparkbuses.jpg
Apart from a few cars next to mine, this was the car park. Shouldn't take too long then!
miadvparkentrance.jpg
One Maxx Pass later, and I'm ready to tackle Shivering Timbers, Wolverine Wildcat, Mad Mouse, and JAIL BAIT!
timbersglare.jpg
First ride, Shivering Timbers - through the glare!
timbersstation.jpg
The seats are a problem if you're wider than a fridge, but they're rather comfy.
timbersloser.jpg
No problems for me. I'm about as a wide as a sheet of paper. May I also point out there will be plenty more sad and pathetic shots like this throughout the Photo TR.
timbers2.jpg
Even first thing in the morning, it was butter smooth, and there was some excellent airtime! Must have caught this on a good day.
timbers1.jpg
All those hills? Airtime!
timbers4.jpg
Double-up? Airtime!
timbers3.jpg
And the first drop? Well take a guess...
timberstricktrack.jpg
But what the hell was the point in this? I get the same effect just leaning to the left or the right!
wildcat1.jpg
After the bliss of Timbers, it was time to hit Wildcat.
wildcat2.jpg
And I really wish someone would hit this. Preferably with a demolition ball. It wasn't very good.
corkscrew.jpg
Wow, I can hardly wait.
corkscrew2.jpg
Well I say that, but it had the longest line in the park! At a whopping 10 minutes.
zachszoomer.jpg
The junior woodie was much better than Wildcat!
zachszoomer2.jpg
By Michigan standards, this is a HIGH THRILL RIDE!
coastersoverview.jpg
But it's good for the whole family, which is what it should say. Certainly a lot better than the concrete!
ferriswheel.jpg
Some of the high up views are brought to you by this ferris wheel.
mouse1.jpg
Never done an Arrow mouse before. But apparently neither have the park.
mousestacking.jpg
Nice smooth ride, but I can't figure out why they need 9 cars on track when 6 of them are stacked at any one time,
mousestacking2.jpg
They can't figure it out either!
bigdipper.jpg
And how could we forget our "Sad and Pathetic" credit of the day?
swanboats.jpg
Alton Towers, take note!
grandrapids1.jpg
Grand Rapids, at Michigan's Adventure. Way to think outside the box for a name! I was really thinking about doing this...
grandrapids2.jpg
Then I saw this and passed it up.
falls.jpg
I thought about this one too.
fallssplash.jpg
But the Dan in me came out, and he said "screw this!".
gayflume.jpg
Possibly the campest funnel slide in the world! At least it takes the glare off the concrete.
timbershurl.jpg
So it was back to Timbers for one more ride before leaving. Unfortunately someone had threw up, and the train needed a clean.
timberssign.jpg
Ejected? Sounds like fun! More fun than walking over miles of concrete anwyway.
timbers5.jpg
Several hills and a stupid trick-track later, and that was that!
detroitsign.jpg
On the way to Paul's house, I made a stopover with a friend in Windsor, Ontario, which meant passing through Detroit. And check that sign-unendo!
ambassadorbridge.jpg
The Bridge to Canada! Or a gateway to heaven, you decide.
meandtaylor.jpg
And here's me with my friend Taylor!
meandtaylor2.jpg
You know I could be arrested in America for this! See you at Canada's Wonderland, very soon...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby YoshiFan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:11 pm

I think CF's ride rating system is really bad. I wouldn't have been surprised if Zach's Zoomer was a 5 last year since at Dorney Wild Mouse and Thunderhawk were both 5's but changed to 4 this year. The log flume and bumper cars are also a 4 and the rapids are a 5. I think a 1 - 7 or 1 - 10 system would be better especially when most coasters are a 5.

Idiot.

Postby Jeezus Juice » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:11 pm

Hell yeah, another marathon Tom Photo TR! That ride in the last picture looks awesome! LOL

Resident MINI Enthusiast

Postby ElToroExtreme » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:48 pm

You got a problem with MINI's I have one!!! Just Kidding... Nice Photo TR looks liek you had fun *sarcasm*

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby Cameron » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:40 am

Great report so far, Tom. Michigan's Adventure really is a bit of a hole, but I have to admit that I always have had fun there - thanks to my friends who live in Michigan. And Timbers is pretty great .. very moody since Cedar Fair took over, but it sounds like you caught it on a good day.

Can't wait for the rest of the pictures!

Cameron.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:55 am

Hmm--it does look like Michigan's Adventure is Michigan's version of Dorney Park (although the latter looked a bit nicer).

Looking forward to seeing more, Tom.

Beer Man

Postby mcjaco » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:42 am

Yay, a Tom Photo TR!!!

Controlled by a sentient spreadsheet...

Postby Divv3k » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:32 am

Excellent TR as always so far Tom!

I'm seriously considering doing a day at Michigan's Adventure after the Midwest trip. Still haven't decided if it'll be worth it. Then again I hear so many mixed reports about Shivering Timbers so maybe I should just go and decide for myself.

Looking forward to more!

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!