Photo TR: My trip to Branson..

Part 5 added: Six Flags St. Louis and conclusion.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Shavethewhales » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:57 pm

Awesome Photo TR. SDC always delivers, no matter what you're looking for.

Did you happen to notice if Tom Sawyer's landing was open, or if work was being done on the adjacent tree house?

Also, if you even went by it, did Geyser Gulch ever get completely re-painted?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ginzo » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:38 pm

Cameron this TR really makes me want to try to squeeze SDC in this year.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:43 pm

SDC is one of my favorite parks in the country, can't wait for more pix!

Text me about my Delorean - (559) 940-3525

Postby Ryan King » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:57 pm

SharkTums wrote:SDC is one of my favorite parks in the country, can't wait for more pix!

Im suprised you didnt ask for more pictures of Cameron!!

Non-German Tom

Postby Shockwave » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:34 pm

Awesome photos Cameron!

SDC brings back great memories of Dollywood a few weeks ago (same company of course), I've love to get out there while the dollar is still in my favour.

Hot Coaster Chick!

Postby niiicolaaah » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:05 am

Oh man, i SO want to go to SDC, and this TR is not helping. :lolr:
Parks: 71| Wood: 68 | Steel: 272 | Total Coasters: 340 | States: 23| Countries: 6

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby Cameron » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:18 am

Powder Keg: A Blast In The Winderness. This ride needs a tagline along the lines of "it'll knock your socks off", because Powder Keg is a seriously awesome coaster. How come this is not talked about more often? Even more puzzling is the fact that all of the "most under-rated coasters" threads on the net aren't dominated with people praising Powder Keg. In case you haven't figured it out yet, I was really impressed with this little launched bundle of craziness!

Powder Keg is nothing but fun, Fun, FUN! Every aspect of this ride, from queue to brakes, is impeccably well themed, extremely well thought out, and just laugh-out-loud fun. The coaster itself has amazing air, great forces, an insane layout, and typically had me giggling like a 4th grader! I've ridden coasters almost three times the height of this one, that don't even come close to delivering the thrills, fun, or forces that Powder Keg does.
02_entrance.jpg
As with Wildfire, guests are lead over to Powder Keg under an innocent looking sign set deep in the woods.
03_theming.JPG
As an example of how complete the theming is, I present you here with a photo of some track that is present only to stop a roll-back. This track will probably never even be used, but SDC has incorporated it very well. If you look carefully you can easily see the transition from real to fake track, but most people see the whole thing and think it's all part of the ride.
04_theming.JPG
The roof of the queue house is dotted with debris from all of the near-by explosions.
06_theming.jpg
The setting is that of a black powder warehouse, and the queue makes it genuinely feel like you're actually there. Of course it still all fits in to the 19th century setting of whole park.
08_theming.JPG
Where most parks would simply say "food and drink prohibited", SDC decides to take it a step further. Like I said above, this place is themed as well as the best Disney parks.
10_station.jpg
Inside the station .. look for all of the TNT barrels.
12_transfer.jpg
Out of the station, the train rolls onto this transfer track. The whole thing slides up and lines up to the launch track. All around the track are more TNT barrels, and buildings. You're basically surrounded by black powder, and a recording warns you not to get too close...!
16_nitro.jpg
This is how it all looks from outside the ride. The train is in the launch position, and is launched to about 50 MPH in just 2 or 3 seconds. It's a fun launch, accompanied by blasts of fire.
17_launch.jpg
The observation area is right by the launch track. This is brilliant because kids and parents get to wave to each other. There were many non-riding parents there with video cameras, who were filming their kids on the ride. It's a nice touch.
18_action.jpg
The launch shoots out over this crazy air-filled hill, and the action doesn't stop until you hit the lift-hill which is about two-thirds of the way into the ride. The lift actually comes as a bit of a relief, because the ride is just i-n-s-a-n-e up to that point.
20_action.jpg
One of the huge over-banked turns, as viewed from the train.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby Cameron » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:37 am

The final set of pics for Part 2 is for the wonderful Barn Swing. This is another S&S giant swing, but it is exceptionally well done at SDC. Now I will be honest and admit that I have a fear of heights, and I find these things quite scary; however they're so awesome that I can't not ride. As the name suggests, SDC has themed their swing around a barn in a farm ... fun to say, and fun to ride!

On Sunday they were running both sides, and we waited little more than about 15 minutes. We rode many times, and in the end I was actually able to keep my arms up the whole time ... it wasn't easy, but I could do it. Actually given the fact that there's nothing to hang on to, I find the ride less scary when I relax and keep my hands up. Just go with the forces...

Now I really like S&S .. The Double-shots, Avalanche and Poweder Keg are tremendous fun; and the swings are one of my favorite non-coaster rides. However S&S contraptions tend to be .. well .. visually challenged. I was curious to see how SDC was going to dress-up their swing, and I was surprised to see what a great job they had done.

Part 3 (the Marvel Cave) will follow tonight or tomorrow .. Enjoy!
P6030106.jpg
The swing is in a new area called "Wilson's Farms". Along with the swing, is a collection of those lift-yourself-up drop rides for little kids, some food, and a milk-the-cow game. Obvious the swing is the main draw here.
P6030112.JPG
The queue runs through a very convincing looking barn, which is dotted with these fun signs. I can't help but laugh at such cute signs for such an intimidating ride.
P6030113.JPG
The attention to detail is amazingly good. Of course every barn needs a weather-cock, so naturally it is included on this barn at SDC. Rather than just have something painted on like you'd find at some parks, this is actually real and functional.
P6030114.jpg
This ride is quite a beast, sucking up 32 people per cycle with both sides running. The seats are comfortable and the restraints minimal. You feel very exposed when this thing gets going, and nothing to hold on to really adds to the thrill.
P6030119.JPG
Down, please!
P6030120.jpg
You only get a few glimpses of this ride from inside the park, and this is typically the first thing people when when they board.
P6040302.jpg
These swings are as ugly as they are thrilling, and SDC has done a seriously amazing job of keeping it hidden. From inside the park you can hear all the screaming and noise, but can only see the higher parts of the swing. It all adds to the intimidation factor.

#1 Nintendo Fanboy!

Postby Disney Dood » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:48 am

Yikes! That swing comes REALLY close to the ground!

Nice TR, SDC is on my "things to do before I die" list.

Ask me about being a pathological liar!!

Postby kraken613 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:21 am

This realy makes me want to go to SDC. i never relized how similer it it to Dollywood.[/code]

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive