TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

I have never been there but from the website I didnt see much that would make me go. it needs another good coaster. I know that everything is family what ever that means. No one will be able to get the Disney crowd. Six Flags was always the next step up for children when they got too old and too big for Disney. This park is extremely small. I am a coaster buff and when I go to a lot of parks with big coasters I see families in line also. I have seen kids cry because they were too short to get on the bigger rides. What do people think happens when the kids get 10 yrs old, they want to ride coasters. I was at SFMM a couple of weeks ago and there were just as many small kids inline for X and Tatsu as any other ride. I am not talking about infants. Cedar Point is a coaster park and people fly from all over the world to ride their coasters. There were quite a few people from out of the country at SFMM also who flew across the Pacific hell the Atlantic to go there. All Six Flags needs to do is speed up operations and clean the parks but also keep competing with Cedar Fair but no one can compete with Disney ever.

Aww, I was just up there a week and a half ago and would have loved a tour! I had a great time...always have...when I've visited Kentucky Kingdom. I thought Deluge was great, and is a fantastic addition to the water park. All the employees seemed spot on, and I didn't see anyone goofing off, on cell phones or whatever. And he dispatches seemed reasonably fast (and in the case of Greezed Lightnin', they were almost running to get the trains out in a timely fashion!)

I really like the direction the park is headed in, and will certainly be back. I'd really like to see Thunder Run get some love because it used to be extremely smooth, and now...eh, not so much. But in any event, I'm very glad that you and hopefully other managers are paying attention to the enthusiast community. I really hope that we can give you any info you need!

-Julie

^^"Family," in my opinion, would refer to a park that has attractions that appeal to everyone, not just coaster enthusiasts. I love theme parks, but I am not *gasp* a huge coaster fan, thanks to a tremendous fear of heights. My kids are the same way - they love theme parks, but are not big thrill seekers.

"Family" would also refer to a park that is clean, well run, and not overrun by ill-mannered, foul-mouthed people (I'm not a prude by any means, but when every other word out of someone's mouth is a profanity, it gets to be a bit much) - in other words, someplace you can enjoy a fun day with your family. I think that's a pretty basic concept.

Not every family can afford to go to Disney. I was very fortunate to visit once, growing up, when I was 10 years old. I didn't get to go back until I was 35. Most of my park experience was at Riverside Park (now SFNE.)

I have never been to Kentucky Kingdom, but will make it there, eventually, I'm sure, and I applaud any efforts to broaden the appeal, making it more enjoyable for everyone.

I agree with the opionions posted, but Six Flags was always voted the number one theme park until recently. People stopped going because of poor operations and with this generation of couch potato kids, no one wants to get out and get exercise. I just dont want any park known for coasters to forget what got them there and abandoned the world THRILL PARK. No ones goes to a park to ride the new Bugs Bunny Adventure.

Thanks for taking notice in the interest of the gp (or rather TPR freaks here), Jake! I have been to SFKK a few years ago, and it was a decent park. Chang is a great ride, and I will give the park props for having the world's first dueling woodie and a shuttle loop, plus a great wild mouse. As for the general park, I have one major suggestion. Basically add more shaded areas, and a few more bathroom/water fountain points in the park. Especially on a hot day, this makes all the difference.

Hopefully I'll stop by sometime this year and take a spin on deluge. I need to go back and ride Penguin anyways, so I might aswell go when I'm off work.

-Jared

Had a great time at SFKK last August. I only had a few hours before my flight out of Louisville, it was raining, and I was soaked... but I had a great time. Operations were a little slow, but then again, there were probably fewer than 100 people at the park. And everyone was polite. The woman at the parking booth called me "honey," and Bugs and Daffy gladly took a picture with a crazy, soaked out-of-towner.

As I walked around, I couldn't help but think that it was a very nice-looking park, and that I'd love to come back on a nicer day.

SFKK.jpg.5ed9dbb1e6659f13f52353f369d9acdf.jpg

Taken from my seat at the gate at the Louisville airport.

272028722_bugsndaffy.jpg.0551ed32650abd96f1c47d64fa8e5ef4.jpg

I am an idiot.

Hello Jay! I'm very glad to hear from you on the TPR boards. I am a cast member here at SFKK in the retail department and just want to applaud your hard work for our park over the past year. As I am at Kentucky Kingdom nearly everyday, I have noticed first hand all of the improvements added. Not only Deluge and the new kiddy area, but other minor additions are definitely steps in the right direction, such as the Cabanas, Brunch with Bugs, Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, shadebrellas, cleaner faculties, tons of trash cans, new signs, fresh coats of paint, landscaping, and of corse friendier staff.

Honestly, I use to look down upon my homepark in years past, but I am now proud of SFKK and its new positive outlook. We all believe the family friendly approach to management is definitely a change in the right direction. As both a staff member and a guest, I truly appreciate all you have done for Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom.

Sincerely

Kevin Conley

http://www.wlky.com/news/13547817/detai ... u&psp=news

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Police confirmed that a girl's feet have been cut off at Six Flags' Kentucky Kingdom.

Officials said they got the call around 5 p.m. Thursday and both her feet were detached at the ankle.

According to MetroSafe dispatch supervisors, the girl was riding the Superman Tower of Power, which is 177 feet tall and drops riders at 54 miles per hour. According to Kentucky Kingdom, the girl was injured when the ride malfunctioned.

this was just on the tv like 2 seconds ago.

*Mod Edit: Added text of article to post.

Edited by larrygator

Sorry for the duplicate Lou! Guess I wasn't the only one!

The Louisville affiliates all have slightly different stories, but from what I gather, there was a cable that snapped and that is what caused the accident. The extent of the injuries, age of the girl, etc, varies from one version of the story to the next.

What an awful accident, and definitely something where (for once) there could be evidence of negligence, I would think.

Shari

This one talks a bit about a cable wrapping around her legs... How horrid! What a terrible accident!

http://www.whas11.com/topstories/stories/062107whasmjdTopTowerOfPower.26e52d52.html

Louisville Metro Police Dispatch tells us that both of the girl’s feet were severed in this accident.

“I saw a lot of kids go up… I seen them going up then it came down and the cable came back around and hit a lot of people… They said the cable wrapped around somebody’s legs and ripped them off,” said one witness.

This one talks a bit about a cable wrapping around her legs... How horrid! What a terrible accident!

http://www.whas11.com/topstories/stories/062107whasmjdTopTowerOfPower.26e52d52.html

That was what I was thinking when somebody mentioned the words "cable snapping". Bar the whole ride tilting and her hitting something on the way down, I couldn't think of how her feet could be severed, but if a cable snapped and wrapped around her ankles... Yeah, strong metal cables of the type used in many rides can easily do that.

How awful. Ortho surgery is so advanced these days, I really do hope they manage to re-attach her feet and that she's going to be fine.

Shari, I know you said the age varies in different stories but is there at least a rough age level that's more common? I mean, by "girl", do they mean older teen/younger teen/older child??