Photo TR: Chuck & Larry Ride Pennsylvania Style

All Dorney, Hershey, & Dutch Wonderland pics posted
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:54 am

^Barry they had no good DW t-shirts in XL, just a craptacular one for $20. Of course we stopped at DW.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:30 pm

Night and Day at Hersheypark, June 9-10

Larry and I finished Dorney in mid-afternoon, so we hit the highway for the 90-minute drive to Hersheypark. Our plan was to buy our tickets for Sunday, do as many of the coasters as we could before the park closed at 10:00, then finish off and reride some stuff on Sunday. (Hershey will let you in the park at 7:15 or so if you buy a ticket that night. My thanks to Sensei Derek for cluing me into this little perk.)

Well, we got there a bit early, so we checked out Hershey's Chocolate World. This is essentially the "Word of Coke," only with chocolate (and admission is free). There is, of course, Hershey's chocolate out the yin-yang for sale, a rather Epcot-like dark ride about how chocolate is made, and the "Really Big 3D Show" (basically a 3D commercial for Hershey's that costs an extra $5.95).

Finally, our time came, and in we went. Hersheypark is one of the most beautiful parks I've ever visited (right up there with Euroburg). I particularly like how they've integrated the park's "Boardwalk" section with the water park--very cleverly done. And, unlike your average Cedar Fair park, Hershey's loves trees. There's a good selection for you flat-ride fans out there, and the Reese's Xtreme Cup Challenge is a surprisingly addictive shooting dark ride (at least we got a kick out of it).

We were really covering the theme-park spectrum this weekend: Hersheypark, the "destination" that you could easily spend a few days exploring; Dorney Park, the nice "daytrip" or local park; and Dutch Wonderland, the "roadside attraction" (or "tourist trap," depending on how you look at it).

Here are the coasters from best to worst. Note that there's only one really bad one, at least to my mind.

Lightning Racer--This awesome dueling woodie is my third favorite behind Balder and El Toro. It's fast and twisty, yet surprisingly smooth, and the "dueling" trains really add a whole other dimension to the ride. Not to be missed. (We were 3-1 last weekend--2 wins on "Lightning," 1 on "Thunder.")

Storm Runner--This is definitely the best of the launchers I've ridden. (I haven't been on TTD or Xcelerator, so please don't ask. ;) ) I like that it has a few more tricks up its sleeve beyond the standard "high-hat" beginning. I'd take this one over Kingda Ka any day.

Great Bear--An excellent B&M inverted, that flies through its course over the lake in Comet Hollow. It's intense, yet smooth and lots of fun.

Wildcat--Another good stack of wood, even if it is a bit blown away by Lightning Racer. I understand that this beast used to be on the rough side, but I guess those new trains helped, because I didn't find it to be too rough at all--just lots of fun.

Superdooperlooper--Anton, the master of the vertical loop, strikes again! Yes, this isn't the biggest coaster I've ever ridden, but it is a lot of fun (which is the whole idea, right?). I like how the lifthill starts out slowly, then shifts into to high gear to hurtle you over the top.

Comet--I've heard some complaints about this old woodie, but I liked it--good, old-school fun.

Wild Mouse--This is a better-than-average steel mouse for two reasons: 1) It's built on top of a hill, which also heightens the thrill, and 2) it isn't braked much at all. One of the best of its kind, I think.

Roller Soaker--Not a big thrill machine, but that's not the idea, is it? We hit this one early on Sunday morning to get the credit and minimize the level of wetness (which still went beyond "acceptable"). It's even more fun to cut loose on other riders with the water cannons.

Trailblazer--Yup! It's a standard-issue Arrow mine train. As family coasters go, it's OK (but I think Carowinds has a better one).

Sidewinder--I got two words for ya: Vekoma Boomerang. 'Nuff said on that.

On to the pics.
HP 01.jpg
Hot damn tamale! Here's Hersheypark at last. But we're a bit early so . . .
HP 02.jpg
. . . it's time to check out Chocolate World!
HP 03.jpg
What the hell is this? Living with the Land without boats?
HP 04.jpg
Howdy! I'm a bull! Can you tell me what role I play in the making of chocolate, young feller?
HP 05.jpg
Well, Mr. Bull, somebody has to knock up all those cows, so that we can get enough milk to make . . .
HP 06.jpg
. . . delicious Kit Kat bars!
HP 07.jpg
Larry and I were deeply mo-o-o-o-ved by the story of chocolate.
HP 08.jpg
God, you could eat yourself into a diabetic coma in no time in this place.
HP 09.jpg
But there is more to life than just chocolate, you know.
HP 10.jpg
Yeah--there's also ice cream!
HP 11.jpg
Larry shows his udder Red Dawn Awesomeness. (Sorry--there had to be at least one "udder" joke in this TR.)
HP 12.jpg
OK--time to experience "100 Years of Happy!"
HP 13.jpg
Hmm--why does this sign look so familiar?
Angus.jpg
Oh, that's right. This ride is "Angus McNasty" approved.
HP 14.jpg
(We now return to our TR already in progress.) Here's Wildcat!
HP 14a.jpg
These trains are just so comfy.
HP 15.jpg
They're "Scary Guy with Spider Tattoos" approved, too!
HP 16.jpg
I liked Wildcat quite a bit.
HP 17.jpg
But not as much as I liked Lightning Racer!
HP 18.jpg
Choose your weapons, take ten paces, turn, and fire! The dueling action is great. More pics to come.

Hot Coaster Chick!

Postby niiicolaaah » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:34 pm

I HATE Hersheypark. But I love Angus McNasty, so it balances out. :lmao:
Parks: 71| Wood: 68 | Steel: 272 | Total Coasters: 340 | States: 23| Countries: 6

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:46 pm

Paragraph a, subsection b of "Night and Day at Hersheypark."
HP 19.jpg
What gives? I thought we were in Hershey, Pa.
HP 20.jpg
Who cares? Long as I got a beach chair to kick back on, I'm good.
HP 21.jpg
Hmm--the total absence of water would indicate that we are decidedly not in Rehobeth Beach.
HP 22.jpg
Next stop--Storm Runner!
HP 23.jpg
Seems that lots of other people had the same idea. (It was about a 50-minute wait.)
HP 24.jpg
Sheesh! Even the riding position is PC.
HP 25.jpg
Yet it discriminates against those of "unusual body proportions." If the restraints chafe your thighs, you're OK, I guess.
HP 25a.jpg
Is it just me, or does the kid on the right look possessed?
HP 26.jpg
Behold what Storm Runner can do, Kingda Ka, and despair!
HP 27.jpg
Hmm--why does this picture remind me of some park in Arkansas?
HP 28.jpg
Yep--Storm Runner is a winner . . .
HP 29.jpg
. . . that craps all over this loser (Sidewinder).
HP 30.jpg
Here's a look at the Boardwalk after dark--shore is purty, aint it?
HP 31.jpg
Hey, thanks for the fireworks sendoff, Hershey--but we'll be back tomorrow. (But there will be more pics here tonight.)

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:06 pm

Paragraph a, subsection b, sub-subsection d of "Night and Day at Hersheypark."
HP 32.jpg
Our first stop on Sunday was the Boardwalk.
HP 33.jpg
Time to get one of the wettest credits ever--Roller Soaker.
HP 34.jpg
Yes, we risked our fine wardrobes for this one.
HP 35.jpg
Revenge! Sweet, sweet, cold revenge is mine! Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!
HP 36.jpg
You'll be hanging on for dear life on Hershey's Wild Mouse!
HP 37.jpg
Time to get a "Nicole's Eye View" of Hersheypark, her most favoritest place ever!
HP 38.jpg
The insane Wild Mouse towers over the water park.
HP 39.jpg
Eyeball to eyeball with Storm Runner (sort of).
HP 40.jpg
Hey, isn't that Chuck's favorite ride here?
HP 41.jpg
Yep--sure is!
HP 42.jpg
Bye-bye Boardwalk--we got other credits to get.
HP 43.jpg
Bad sign.
HP 44.jpg
Good sign.
HP 45.jpg
Hey, boss! I think the problem has to do with this doohickey, here!
HP 46.jpg
Dadburn Storm Runner thinks he's the best thing since hot sauce on a plate of frijoles, eh?
HP 47.jpg
Well, I'm a gonna cruise right over your queue, Storm Runner! And there's not a dadgum thing you can do about it! Yeehaw!
HP 48.jpg
Well, punking Storm Runner on Trailblazer made us powerful hungry! Time for some BBQ!
HP 49.jpg
Hey, Emo Boy--this bowl's for you! Last set of Hershey pics to come next.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Xxhershey818xX » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:11 pm

Great Photos

_Now Im really starting to miss Hershey though!

Oh well anyway Great Photo TR!

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:19 pm

Paragraph a, subsection b, sub-subsection d, fn. 1 of "Night and Day at Hersheypark."
HP 50.jpg
Well, time for a Kissing Tower eye's view of Nicole's favorite park.
HP 51.jpg
As a public service, Larry will demonstrate how not to sit on this attraction.
HP 52.jpg
You know, it just doesn't look as whimsical as Willy Wonka's chocolate factory.
HP 53.jpg
Here you can see Great Bear, Superdooperlooper, and Comet.
HP 54.jpg
Grr! Me Great Bear! Loop you silly!
HP 55.jpg
Note the bizarre, "Duck, Swan, and Goose" approved supports for Great Bear. (They had to keep them out of the lake.)
HP 56.jpg
See? Great Bear doesn't bother the ducks at all.
HP 57.jpg
Larry, on the other hand . . .
HP 58.jpg
Comet's trains are more "old school" than those of Wildcat and Ligntning Racer.
HP 59.jpg
Larry gets the bird on Flying Falcon.
HP 60.jpg
Yeah, he's up there somewhere, spinning around.
HP 61.jpg
Larry's ready to chew bubblegum and kick ass on Xtreme Cup Challenge--and he's all out of bubblegum!
HP 62.jpg
Thanks for a great day, Hersheypark! See you around, Stormrunner! Stay tuned for Dutch Wonderland.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:00 pm

Chuck's PTRs always entertain. Plus we got a bonus shot of Angus McNasty!

Hersheypark is a great place, though I have to say I was very underwhelmed by the Reese's shooting ride. I think the thing had a budget of about $5.50 or so. I thought it was very "meh" compared to other Sally dark rides.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:48 pm

This is my new favorite picture of Larry:

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby redfoot12 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:36 pm

Ah--so that's how this trip went...

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive