TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I think the improvements look cool. I actually didn't have that great of an experience there the last time, but I really would like to go back there again this summer.

Does this mean their won't be the 150ft height limit anymore? I have to agree that SF made a smart move by buying the entire park now as it should help decrease their debt load in the long run
Not a chance... They would have to move the park to get rid of that...

I can't help but be a little concerned about some of these moves because it seems that much of the money made from the sale of the other parks is being used for more expenditures. I guess I am just wondering when they are planning to decrease their debt.

Does this mean their won't be the 150ft height limit anymore? I have to agree that SF made a smart move by buying the entire park now as it should help decrease their debt load in the long run
Not a chance... They would have to move the park to get rid of that...

I can't help but be a little concerned about some of these moves because it seems that much of the money made from the sale of the other parks is being used for more expenditures. I guess I am just wondering when they are planning to decrease their debt.

gotta spend it to make it

I may be wrong here, but I think now that Six Flags owns the park, they might be able to ask for permission to raise the height limit or get a waiver for a new ride from the city. During the V2 fiasco, I remember there being talk of Six Flags being able to get a higher limit for rides if they bought out Vallejo's interest in the park. Things may have changed since then with new people in the city government, but I think it would be a good idea for Six Flags to pursue a height limit closer to 200 feet in the area along Marine World Parkway since it is the furthest spot from the local residents.

• 3 months later...

SFNE's Pandemonium has the same restriction. Must just be a Gerstlaurer spinner thing.

On topic, this should be good for the park. Gerstlaurer spinners are great rides that are thrilling enough for teens and adults, and not too scary for kids. I have seen teenagers get of Pandemonium saying it was worth a 90+ minute wait, and I also see lots of families and kids on it.

EDIT: Yes, this is the fourth one. Plus SFNE's Pandemonium is almost identical to this. This ride is becoming like the next Batman: The Ride, except it is a family oriented ride instead of a thrill ride. Not that that is a bad thing.

Yes finally!!! Ever since Zonga was a disaster, they needed a new, GOOD, ride. I swear I saw NEW COASTER, in the new Discovery Kingdom sign.

Man this makes me feel better, SFDK to get a new coaster, GA, is getting a Top Spin, and SCBB is getting some new ride *cough* aquatrax.

Very exciting. The first new coaster since 01 (Zonga in 03 doesn't really count since it operated off and on for less than 2 seasons) in the Bay Area. Even though I think that the SFoT should have had a different theme, I think that for SFDK, Tony Hawk is an ok theme. It fits in with the sky theme, which is not a bad idea.

From looking at the video, it will go in Zonga's old area.

Great to see that Discovery Kingdom is building a new coaster, and Big Spin should be a great fit. Sure it is being cloned throughout the chain, but so were the Batmans(inverts), Supermans(hypers and flyers), and Mind Erasers, so it's not a big deal. This coaster design is a lot of fun, and hopefully more parks build this design.

Airtime-if this was a cloned hyper, I doubt people would complain-&Gravity

Medusa and V2 are not really attempted to be themed coasters though. Tony Hawks Big Spin is themed to skateboarding, which does not fit with the parks "new" image. Had Medusa been called "Thomas' train coaster" and was themed to Thomas the Tank Engine, I would agree with your argument, but since V2 and Medusa have no "theme" persay, I still believe it was a poor selection.