Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

P. 275: Halloween Horror Nights 2019 scare zones revealed!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:55 pm

^^^Psycho isn't a world famous movie from a world famous director that defined the horror genre for ages or anything like that. Nope, it's just an old movie that is boring by today's standards because there isn't enough death or effects.

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:22 pm

DATman wrote:Wes, I sad an outdated movie which does nothing for its audiences (in otherwords, it was a generational thing). Some art is timeless, and does not have a fixed generation.

First off, without a doubt, that house should remain somewhere on the lot....as long as humanly possible.

Generational thing? As in, the generation dating from the movie's premier until present day? I'm sure that's what you really mean, right? I'm sorry bro, but your argument on this one, like Wes said, is simply craptastic.

There are two "horror" movies that will stand the test of time for generations to come. One being Psycho. The other is Jaws. Why? Because of the simplicity in which they portrayed the simplest of human fears. To this day, if even in just the slightest capacity, there's a part of my brain that remembers that shower scene whenever I'm showering somewhere away from home.....and especially if I'm alone wherever I may be at the time. In the same way, there's not a human alive that can honestly admit that they don't even think about what's below them in the ocean after watching Jaws.

Of course the two films are more than just those scenes alone. Psycho remains relevant for many reasons.....camera angles, and killing off the films biggest star early in the story are just a couple. Heck, even though it was a stupid idea, it wasn't long ago that the film was "remade" starring one of today's biggest stars (Vince Vaughn). Oh, and yeah, it was so well respected, that the "remake" used the same production notes, camera angles, etc. from what I understand (sorry, I wasn't interested in seeing it).

By your reasoning, we should find Paul and Ringo, and kill 'em off since their music is no longer ruling the Billboard charts....thus, evidently irrelevant. I mean, God knows, the musicians of today couldn't have been inspired by that garbage, huh?

Scott "counting down the days until Little Miss Sunshine becomes an outdated movie that doesn't do anything worthwhile for its audiences anymore" B. ;)
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

OMG! A TALKING MUFFIN!

Postby DATman » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:45 am

Sorry, I was being stupid yesterday. I was just having a crappy day, and I just thought it was a little annoying that people were getting worked up about a house. Of course, I then got worked up about it, destroying any of the measly points I had. It's an alright movie, it really is. And from a filmmaker's standpoint, it was genius. I looked at what I wrote again, and I have to say that I agree with you guys. Sorry I spread my stupidity around...

Shock The Monkey

Postby iZak » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:52 am

^^ You're correct about the remake. It's shot by shot, line for line an exact copy of the original...Gus Van Sant (the director) just updated the effects (ie. no chocolate syrup for blood, and the opening sequence was CG instead of a matte shot).

I know I am in the extreme minority, but I actually liked the remake. I think it was absolutely amazing how exact it was. I just wish it didn't have Ann Heche playing Marion Crane.

Oh yeah, and the house "makeover" in the remake sucked worse than a $0.05 hooker. Same with the motel.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby raptorcrew2002 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:42 am

I have a question, if they sell that land, then in guessing how much land will remain undeveloped? Seems like they are land locking themselves pretty good?

Knowing Universal properties are pretty good penny pinchers I also wouldn't of expected the money to go into new rides and or shows, which sucks.

Also don't forget GE does own them so it's really of no surprise, honest I still can't believe they have #1. The parks open, and #2. not sold or tried too, for the least we know. After all GE is a here and now company who runs on the principle of one word, margins. They make lots of money buying and selling broken up company's and equipment.

Eventually I figure GE will unload those properties, or "which is a long shot but hopefully" they actually become interested in the potential of the property's and dump loads of money into new quality rides and park make overs.

All in all their is always a method to madness, either for a balance sheet here and now or other motives which become clear later.

Cheers!

PS. I never thought Psycho was the good either, (I always thought it would make for a good Mystery Science Theater) but you have to have the house, it's a signature landmark sort of speak, you know.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby speedracer » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:03 pm

At least one good thing will come out of all this, as Screamscape pointed out, notice the large show building where Water World is located?:

http://www.screamscape.com/html/ush_-_vision_plan_0.htm

Bring on the next generation Amazing Adventures of Spiderman!!

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Gnome » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:06 pm

looks like they plan on building a bunch of parking structures up in the front of the park where there is currently ground parking.

And I wonder if that building where WaterWorld is will become Spiderman? One can only hope cuz its one of the best rides in the worlds. :br
Don't worry, it's an emergency! I'm Chuck Norris

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Universal Studios Hollywood Enhances Rides

Postby PKI Jizzman » Thu May 17, 2007 7:07 am

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif., May 16 /PRNewswire/ -- With a record-breaking heat wave on Southern California's horizon, Universal Studios Hollywood has transformed its two most popular rides and is making significant enhancements to many of its park attractions to make The Entertainment Capital of L.A. the coolest place to be in Southern California this summer.

The world-famous Jurassic Park ride has been transformed into a water ride, becoming wetter than ever with the addition of thousands of gallons of water, new "soak-to-the-bone," 60'-high water blasting geysers, drenching special effects and additional water-gushing Dilophosaurus dinosaurs.

A major enhancement will also transform "Revenge of the Mummy -- The Ride," America's top indoor roller coaster, which will accentuate the cool quotient by lowering the mercury to a bracing 60 degrees within the Mummy's tomb, then enveloping guests in a liquid nitrogen blanket that will drop thermometers to a frigid 45-degrees. The ride's new finale will also assail guests with an explosion of thousands of flashing strobes and special effects lighting, a hair-raising new finish that will contribute to a truly chilling new experience.

Other areas of the park are also being re-fitted for the warm weather. Newly added water-misters and shaded queue lines will add to guests' comfort. "Nickelodeon Blast Zone" will continue to keep kids of all ages cool. At ground level, the towering 30' tall Nickelodeon rocket will unleash more than 10,000 gallons of recycled water per hour from several water-blasting engines. A deluge of water, poured from two 500-gallon over-headwater buckets, will shower bystanders with over 12,000 gallons of water per hour. (If guests prefer to enjoy the splash from afar, they can opt to watch from a conveniently located "dry zone.")

Guests can also beat the heat at the popular "WaterWorld: A Sea War Spectacular," where the quest for "dry land" is typically a water-logged experience. "Coke Soak" offers another water-logged experience and temperatures at "Terminator 2: 3D," and "Special Effects Stages" never rise above a comfortable 65-degrees.

Universal Studios Hollywood, The Entertainment Capital of L.A., includes a full-day, movie-based theme park and Studio Tour, the CityWalk entertainment, shopping and dining complex, the Universal Cinemas and the Gibson Amphitheatre concert and special event venue. The theme park features such groundbreaking attractions as "Revenge of the Mummy -- The Ride," "Shrek 4-D," "Jurassic Park -- The Ride" and the world-renowned Studio Tour, which takes guests behind-the-scenes of such landmark TV and movie locations and sets as Steven Spielberg's "War of the Worlds." CityWalk features 65 entertainment-themed restaurants, nightclubs, shops and dynamic entertainment options. The Universal Cinemas, which includes California's largest IMAX venue, features the best movie-going experience in Los Angeles.

Universal Studios Hollywood

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show ... 7092.shtml

Sounds neat! I think the gushers on Jurassic Park remind me of the ones atop of WDW Animal Kingdom's raft ride. The new 'chilling' ending to ROTM sounds like it will be great! Any news Joey?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby XII » Thu May 17, 2007 7:36 am

Sounds like a good idea.
Just because yours is smaller doesn't make you less of a man. Unless we're talking about your brain.
http://www.incrediblecoasters.com

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby hemmy » Thu May 17, 2007 9:07 am

See, when I was at USH and rode Jurassic park (2 hour wait, no joke) the front you got absolutely soaked head to toe, not 1 dry spot. In the back though, you barely felt a splash.

I always felt they needed to fix that.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!