TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Alton Towers Discussion Thread

p. 235: Nemesis Reborn announced for Spring 2024!

• 1 month later...

It seems Alton Towers' newest thrill, Rita: Queen of Speed, made British headlines over a 12 year old girl having her wrists broken by the ride.

Alton Towers has defended one of its rides after a mother said the force of the ride caused her daughter's wrists to break.

Amelia Seiga, 12, from Colwyn Bay, north Wales was treated for sprained wrists after going on the newly-opened Rita, Queen of Speed ride in April.

Her mother, Jane Seiga, said x-rays taken a week later showed fractures in both wrists.

The 60mph ride has been given the all-clear by safety officials.

Ms Seiga said the force of the ride was so strong it peeled Amelia's hands off the guard rail and bent her wrists back.

'Thorough investigation'

Amelia is recovering from her injuries

Medics at the scene said they were sprained but, after a week of pain, Ms Seiga asked for an x-ray which she says showed both Amelia's wrists were broken.

She is now asking for the ride's height restriction to be raised to prevent it happening to other children.

An Alton Towers spokeswoman said: "A full and thorough investigation of Rita, Queen of Speed was completed both internally by Alton Towers and externally by the Health and Safety Executive.

"The investigation concluded the ride is safe and no changes to the ride, height restrictions or operating procedures are deemed to be necessary."

A Health and Safety spokesman confirmed no faults had been found.

"However, as it is a new ride Alton Towers will continue to monitor it closely and will report any further incidents," he said.

If there were further incidents the investigation would be reopened, he added.

Ok, first off I changed the 'sub-title' since this is not even remotely Intamin's fault!

Secondly, I'd like to know how she 'really' hurt her wrists. This sounds like a pretty pathetic injury!

Lastly, the mother wants the height restriction raised!?!? To what? Her daughter was 12!!! If a 12 year old can't ride a ride who can!?!?

Elissa "glad to see that stupidity and lawsuits seem to be spreading outside of the USA!" Alvey

This "inncident" most likely wasn't even ride related. The girl probably hurt herself some how and is just blaiming it upon the ride as part of the compensation culture.

This won't change anything to do with the ride what so ever, so to me that is a good enough evidence that it was not the rides fault, but that of the rider....if it even was on Rita, which I highly doubt.

Sounds like she wasn't riding in the correct position for that happen. This sort of thing doesn't happen if you ride correctly. The turn where the incident allegedly opccured is quite powerful, but nowhere enough to break bones.

I think didnt happen on the ride. Or else as you people have said, she wasnt riding properly. The G-Forces are similar to Oblivion, abit more, but G-Forces that strong dont break bones.

Or else is it talking about the speed it changes banking? It doesnt seem to bank fast.

I think they are just saying that the coaster did it, but it didnt really.

--Ryan "Is it just me or are there an awful lot of coaster injuries, breakdowns occuring?" Berry--

• 1 month later...

Taken from Rideas:

This is in the latest issue of "The Source", which is the new name for the staff newsletter:

-------------------------------------

TOP NEW ATTRACTION FOR 2006

Alton Towers will proudly unveil a magical new attraction in April 2006. The former Toyland Tours ride on Cred Street will be transformed beyond all recognition to create Charlie and The Chocolate Factory.

This fantastic family attraction will reflect the dream-like world created by Roald Dahl in his famous book. Arriving through the factory gates, guests will take a tour on water through the chocolate factory. They will then disembark and walk through the colourful inventing room before taking an unforgettable ride in the famous glass lift.

Head of Brand Marketing, Tracy Burton said: "It will be an amazing adventure for children and nostalgic adults alike. The highlight will, without a doubt, be the glass lift. Using state-of-the-art technology, guests will really feel as though they are flying. It's a very exciting addition to Alton Towers!"

-------------------------------------

Scan of the article here:

http://dan.towersalmanac.com/source_ccf1.jpg

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/staffordshire/4714977.stm

Absolutely sick, I hope the people who commited this get a long stay in prison. It's disgusting what some people can do, hopefully the girl is alright.

Other news stories about the incident

http://www.ukmania.co.uk/news_desk.php

http://www.towersnerd.com/parkitem.php?id=58

Once again, this is a sick crime.

Pretty pathetic...but it sounds like the girl was also drunk on a school trip! That's kind of a problem too. I just hope this isn't another case of 'crying wolf' like the girl who was 'kidnapped' from Wild Adventures!