TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Linnanmäki Discussion Thread

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd imagine that they run the thing atleast 2-3 times for one ticket. EDIT: that's what they do on the other short rides.

Linnanmäki is build on a hill quite close to Helsinki Center. The park can't really grow to any direction but up. It's logical that they got this kind-of "mini roller coaster".

• 2 years later...
The summer of 2011 came up with the name of novelty device!

Kesällä 2011 Linnanmäelle tulee uusi laite kaikille hurjapäille. Linnanmäki the summer of 2011 will be a new device to the tearaway. Laitteessa noustaan ensin pystysuoraan noin 50 metrin korkeuteen. Device are boarded first, vertically about 50 meters in height. Sitten pyörähdetään ylösalaisin ja ollaan kyydissä pää alaspäin. Then spin upside down and the ride is the head downwards. Korkkiruuvikierteiden jälkeen vaunu syöksyy yli sadan kilometrin tuntivauhtia alas. Korkkiruuvikierteiden after car plunges over a hundred kilometers per hour down. Mikä voisi olla moiselle hurjimukselle kuvaava nimi? What could be the Mademoiselle hurjimukselle descriptive name?

Kokonaiskorkeus n. 52 m Overall height approximately 52 m

Radan pituus n. 150 m Track length of about 150 m

Teoreettinen kapasiteetti n. 550 hlöä/h The theoretical capacity of approximately 550 persons / h

Huippunopeus n. 105 km/h Top speed about 105 km / h

Vaunuja 2 kpl Wagons 2 pcs

Matkustajamäärä/vaunu 6 hlö Of passengers carried per wagon for 6 people

Osallistu kisaan lähettämällä nimiehdotuksesi sähköisesti tällä lomakkeella tai toimittamalla ehdotuksesi Linnanmäen Leffabaariin. Nimikilpailun voittaja palkitaan Linnanmäen 2011 VIP-kortilla! Kilpailu päättyy Linnanmäen Valokarnevaalissa lokakuussa 2010. Participate by sending suggestions to name this form electronically or by submitting suggestions Linnanmäki Movie bar. Name The winner is rewarded Linnanmäki 2011 VIP card! Competition ends Valokarnevaalissa amusement park in October 2010.

Link

Edit: Google translator fail

Roller Coaster: unknown

Amusement Park: Linnanmäki (Helsinki, Uusimaa, Finland)

Classification: Roller Coaster

Type: Steel - Sit Down

Make / Model: Maurer Söhne / X-Car Coaster / X-Car-Coaster

Dimensions: 196' 10" x 49' 3"

Capacity: 600 riders per hour

Length: 492' 2"

Height: 151' 7"

Inversions: 2

Speed: 65.3 mph

Duration: 1:00

G-Force: 5

Elements: 151' 7" tall Sky Loop

Trains: Single train with 2 cars. Riders are arranged 2 across in 3 rows for a total of 12 riders.

Link

Linnanmäki has also built a new coaster for the 2010 season.

Roller Coaster: Pilotto

Amusement Park: Linnanmäki (Helsinki, Uusimaa, Finland)

Classification: Roller Coaster

Type: Steel - Sit Down

Make / Model: Technical Park / All Models / Baby Aviator

Capacity: 400 riders per hour

Length: 269'

Height: 16' 5"

Inversions: 0

Duration: 2:00

Trains: Single train with 4 cars. Riders are arranged 2 across in 2 rows for a total of 16 riders.

Link

The ride at the factory:

Link

Now that my job as a ride-op in Linnanmäki has started, I've been able to take a few glimpses of the building site. Well, there's not much to tell, as there's pretty much nothing there... I've seen the track and it's dark blue with grey, metallic supports, excactly like in the pic above, but the layout appears to be more simple - a bit like a simple out-and-back. Behind this link is a map of Linnanmäki, the new ride, Pilotti (Pilot) is located in the lower left corner.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/heavy-metal-dinosaurs-rock-the-kiddie-crowd-in-finland-20100505-ua4l.html

The usual heavy metal fan may not be a five-year-old girl in pigtails, but she is typical of hardcore following of Hevisaurus, a metal band that has hooked the kiddie crowd in Finland. The group, which rocks on about homework and monsters, played its first gig, a charity event, only last September but its fan base of mainly five-to-seven-year-olds has grown rapidly.

The band was born when a flash of lightning and witches' spells revealed, cracked and brought to life five metal dinosaur eggs buried deep in a mountain 65 million years ago - around the time most other dinosaurs became extinct. Or so goes the "official" creation story of the long-haired reptiles in spiked bracelets and black leather billed as the world's only Jurassic metal band.

In reality, the idea hatched in the mind of drummer Mirka Rantanen, 38, a veteran "headbanger" who has played with numerous bands including the Finnish power metal group Thunderstone. "For years and years you seriously try, and then you toss up this one crazy idea, and everyone gets excited," said a bemused Rantanen in an interview.

It all started a few years ago when Rantanen attended a children's concert with his own kids, now five and 11. "What if I started making music for kids?" he thought. "What if it was heavy metal, since that's what I've been doing for 25 years?" Rantanen began writing lyrics and, with some friends from the metalhead circuit, began composing and recording. He also started envisioning the characters in the band.

"I'm a kind of 1980s relic. You could call me a dinosaur," said Rantanen, now better known as an Apatosaurus called Komppi Momppi. "Long-haired dinosaurs playing heavy metal - it started to sound like a really good idea." Sony Music agreed, and so have the Finnish children and parents who flock to sold-out concert halls and kept Hevisaurus' first album Jurahevin kuninkaat, or Kings of Jurassic Metal, on Finland's album chart for 10 weeks. "It's the best because it's heavy," said five-year-old Rico, who attended a packed concert in the southern city of Haemeenlinna wearing a Hevisaurus sweater and hat, and waving a Hevisaurus flag made by his dad. His six-year-old cousin Iina listens to Hevisaurus daily. Her favourite is the group's vocalist Mr Hevisaurus, a meat-chomping descendant of Tyrannosaurus Rex, who "sings so well". The youngest fan at Haemeenlinna was a two-month-old baby who wore protective earmuffs and slept through the show which, like all of Hevisaurus' gigs, was played live at child-friendly decibel levels.

Part of Hevisaurus' appeal is the popularity of metal music in Finland. The niche genre has gone mainstream here - even played in churches - notably since the Nordic country collected its only Eurovision Song Contest win in 2006 with Lordi's monster heavy metal song Hard Rock Hallelujah. "Lordi brought heavy metal to living rooms. We brought it to children's rooms," said Rantanen, asking "is it this bleakness that we live in, this darkness" that attracts Finns to heavy metal?

Hevisaurus' lyrics, however, are anything but bleak. They focus on adventure and fun. When homework and school get tiring, it is time to find excitement by calling up the moon, flying on a dragon's back or laughing with the "Rupu-Rupu" monster, who "smells like an unwashed potty". No short-cuts were taken in creating the band. The five elaborate costumes, for example, were made of reindeer skin dyed green and treated to look scaly in a process that took four months and cost 18,000 euros ($A25,622).

Hevisaurus' second album is due out in September or October, and before that the group is to star in a heavy metal musical at the Linnanmaeki amusement park in Helsinki. The concept has sparked interest abroad and a group in Hungary is set to create a Hungarian-language album of the hard rocking dinos, in a licensing deal with Hevisaurus.

Asked if any angry parents had accused him of corrupting their youngsters with "devil worship music" - a notion sometimes associated with heavy metal - Rantanen conceded he himself was surprised but "no". Still, the band is not without opponents. Many teenagers - possessive of the rebellious, amplified brute force of music often associated with machismo - have been quick to say Rantanen has ruined heavy metal by bringing it to young children, accusing him of co-opting the genre to make money. Rantanen brushes this off, saying he is touched by the genuine emotion of the tiny fans who sometimes take a while to build up the courage to approach the dinosaur rockers for autographs or a hug after concerts. "This is a project from the heart," Rantanen said. "Now that I've seen what it's like to perform for kids, I wouldn't give it up for anything."

305919641_Screenshot2010-05-06at5_55_30PM.jpg.99b09b9f64311b0f2f28280bc76ea129.jpg

1343991997_Screenshot2010-05-06at5_55_09PM.jpg.1766bf482da107bc0fd3ae5b4754c939.jpg

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to add the following image from the park regarding next years ride/addition.

There's also some gossip at a dutch board at the moment that it might be the ride from Skyline park since that one has been up for sale for some time...

Time will tell

linnanmaki1.jpg.167bf4281a48f03cd4bafa2704f9a57b.jpg

announcement in the park

• 2 weeks later...

SkyLoop has a name!

A naming contest was held for the SkyLoop, and the winner is Ukko. Ukko translates as "old man", but the reason for this particular name is that Ukko is also the god of gods in Finnish mythology, Kalevala. There are already a few rides themed or related to Kalevala, such as Salama, Hurjakuru and Tulireki, and thus Ukko continues that theme. See wiki for more info about Ukko (the folklore one )

There were over 20 000 proposals given for the name, the winner received a VIP-card and with it he gets two wristbands free of charge every day during the summer 2011. Not too bad for a prize, don't you think? Here you can also find the top 70 of the other competing names. They are Finnish, though, as the conditions for the name was to be Finnish and one-piece.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
SkyLoop has a name!

A naming contest was held for the SkyLoop, and the winner is Ukko. Ukko translates as "old man", but the reason for this particular name is that Ukko is also the god of gods in Finnish mythology, Kalevala. There are already a few rides themed or related to Kalevala, such as Salama, Hurjakuru and Tulireki, and thus Ukko continues that theme. See wiki for more info about Ukko (the folklore one )

There were over 20 000 proposals given for the name, the winner received a VIP-card and with it he gets two wristbands free of charge every day during the summer 2011. Not too bad for a prize, don't you think? Here you can also find the top 70 of the other competing names. They are Finnish, though, as the conditions for the name was to be Finnish and one-piece.

Thank you for the explaination. And the links!

When I was there in 2009 in my summer holiday, I really liked it. Especially "Vuoristorata" (the wooden coaster) spread an incredibly good smell of wood (in my memories).

The colors of Ukko look really good and I think it is a nice addition to the skyline of the park. The name fits perfectly to the ride, the park and also to Finland (i think).

It is very impressive, how all the roller coasters and flat rides fit into the park. I hope, i can go to there this year

• 1 month later...

Linnanmäki opened it's gates yesterday but due to some reasons (I'm betting my money on too tight schedule) Ukko will not open to public until May 27th. Nonetheless I was still there to take pictures and enjoy the rest of the park. I was lucky enough to see the apparently first complete testrun on Ukko! It went smooth and was completely silent. Even the lift chain made no sound at all. They didn't run more than one testrun, though, but this seems like a good start!

Ukko fits nicely and doesn't feel crowded at all. The only thing I don't get is the graphics. Ukko seems to have this "super-hippy-rainbow"-ish style which doesn't fit the ride at all in my opinion. I guess I'll just have to adapt. The queue area length also seemed way too short, but luckily there's room to expand after the queue area ends.

Onto the pics:

IMGP0025.jpg.5a12ec915cfcaea52de4b8b1e9eefde9.jpg

Ukko dominates the skyline

IMGP0029.jpg.42467e25b3ca822a039cfe238bfeb3c4.jpg

The pride queue

IMGP0030.jpg.8eeb960d32154db61d9486fbdfb79cb3.jpg

There will be another sign holding information about restrictions, but you'll have to settle for this for now, Larry ;)

IMGP0037.jpg.e6a6c4a4a1b75ad92ee8efb7508792eb.jpg

It's sexy and twisty

IMGP0043.jpg.33361e286b825848aca3fac37789fed8.jpg

The exit area, though not finished yet

IMGP0050.thumb.jpg.528f5ae9e9c00bda46a3964b77ed13f4.jpg

All we need is a train

IMGP0054.jpg.37fa32347b0e12d021d7a65224631975.jpg

There it is!

IMGP0057.jpg.10c24ee8ae83c26e763dc5452cc72b99.jpg

I'll be back in a month to ride you!

• 1 year later...

http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Linnanmäki+Amusement+Park+to+get+an+iAngry+Birdsi+attraction/1329104227405

What Tampere does, Helsinki cannot fail to copy, they might be saying... The Linnanmäki Amusement Park is the latest venue to introduce an Angry Birds attraction, hard on the heels of Särkanniemi in Tampere, although by all accounts it should have been the other way around.

A correctly aimed shot towards a fortress on a giant slingshot using angry bird projectiles causes the pieces to tumble down in a domino fashion.

But when the playground equipment manufacturer Lappset and the games developer Rovio donated an Angry Birds-themed playground to Save the Children Finland, and Helsinki’s Linnanmäki Amusement Park was chosen as the location of the attraction, the domino pieces seemed to be conspicuously absent.

The donation was made already in December and Linnanmäki consequently voiced a request that the climbing attraction be set up in March, before the start of the summer season.

But as it happens, not as much as a feather of the angry avians has thus far been seen in the amusement park.

“We have been waiting for a delivery, but no equipment has been seen yet. It is up to Lappset when they will be able to deliver the stuff”, explains Linnanmäki managing director Risto Räikkönen. “In March the product was still in the planning stage”, says Lappset managing director Juha Laakkonen. According to him, the equipment is now being produced, but is not ready yet, as the demand has been so high. “The production process takes six weeks, for every product is unique. The installation timetable is yet to be agreed, but I believe the attraction will be up and running by the end of July.”

The attraction in question is not a massive themed area like that at the Tampere-based Särkänniemi Amusement Park. In Linnanmäki, the Angry Birds play area is merely directed towards little children and it will consist of at least a tower, a slide, and a slingshot.

In Särkänniemi the Angry Birds Adventure Park, which was launched just before the May Day holiday, has brought a lot of action into the fun fair. “During the first couple of weeks the visitor figures were 40 to 50 per cent above average. As the reference period is fairly short, I am trying to be conservative with my estimate, but I am still excited beyond belief”, enthuses Särkänniemi managing director Miikka Seppälä. In the summer of 2011, the Särkänniemi Amusement Park was visited by half a million people. According to Seppälä, it is realistic to expect 100,000 more visitors this summer, now the birds are on hand.

• 4 months later...

The legendary Ghost Train has been dismantled, only the roof of the building and the concrete foundings are left. Covering the building site are large sheets saying something similar to "Under funstruction". I've heard and witnessed that some/most of the animatronics inside had seen better days. Rumor also states that the old Ghost Train is just being replaced with a new one.

Hopefully this 'facelift' will be a success like Blå Tåget at Gröna Lund, and not end up as a shooting ride. While I do like shooting dark rides, I'd just like to see a classic one at my home park.

Oh yeah, and this week is the Carnival of Lights, meaning the park is open 17-22 every day until the season finale on Sunday. All the rides will have lights on (obviously) but there are also added lights and themed actors around the park. But what is by far the best thing is that they FINALLY have music playing in some of the rides, like the HUSS Booster and TopSpin!

roror.jpg.a48ce1bdd4f179804e295b01854a6677.jpg