TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Return of the Sad-and-Pathetic Photo TR: KD Opening Day '07

cfc

A lot of people put down Italian Job, but I think it's a fun family coaster--especially the bit through the tunnel at the end.

We should have great weather the weekend you're here, Eric--spring at KD is much better than the brutal summer. Hey, you can even ride the Togo death machine in relative comfort.

As for the calendar, I believe in exercising my body as well as my mind--well, mostly my mind. Sort of.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Nice summary (and being as this is only your second post on TPR, welcome)--this jibes with my experience that day, too (but I guess I should've had the ribs).

The main entrance did look pretty nice and fresh, but the Rebel Yell needs paint desperately. Were all the Italian Job effects working when you rode it? All I got was fire and sound effects, no chopper or water. (The chopper's skinny little blades were twirling later that day, though.)

On IJST all effects were working, including the flames, except the water effects in the chopper scene (the final splash down water effects were working). The chopper went up and down. I never seen the gatling gun effects work since the ride was installed. Having the sound track playing in the train for the whole ride was a first for me. (I did not have a 2006 pass last year, so I don't have much of a past with that ride).

^ Chuck, Julia and I appreciate the photos of Shockwave and the Flying Eagles. We need to get down there to ride Griffon and get Julia on her first B&M Hyper at BGE.

-James Dillaman

Lemme know whe you're going to be in town, James. Griffon is looking pretty good.

$7.39 for a small slice of pizza and a soda? Wow, that's almost as bad as SF's pricing for food.

That is worse than any SF park I have been too. The size of that pizza was pathetic.

Six Flags over Texas has Papa John's pizza at EXTREME HIGH prices. I think that two small slices is 17 dollars and like a small pizza is 25 dollars.

im going to virgina in and i had the choice of going to busch gardens or kings dominion on the 15th, but since griffon won't be open and i havn't been to kings dominion for a few years, thats where ill be going.

nice TR by the way.

KD looks pretty normal (except for the de-Paramounting). It'll be good to go down there finally. Last time I was there was 2005 and they were working on IJST. I'm not particularly excited about it but it'll be fun nonetheless. Thanks for showing me what to expect when I go down there on Monday.

Funny thing about Anaconda: I actually liked it. In fact I had no clue what people are always complaining about when it comes to big Arrows. That is until the corkscrews, at the point it blew it so hard that it ruins the whole ride. Shame too because up until that point I was actually thinking that it was something resembing smooth.

This brings back memories for me though, having been to PKD a few years back. It's quite amazing how much has already changed since I was there (in '03 I believe).

^ It wouldn't be bad at all except for that stupid pretzel section or whatever they call it. It bangs you all around. The rest of the ride is not too bad on the banging. Thanks Arrow for not knowing how to bank anything.

Nice report!

At least your Hurler trains have a name on them. Ours are just plain old blue.

But ours kicks KDs Hurler any day of the week, logo or not.

^Anaconda does have a split personality. The initial drop is great, and the first two inversions are OK. But that second half stinks. The first time I rode it, I came off all headachey and queasy. But when I last rode it in October '06, it wasn't as bad.

Still, Anaconda's hardly a classic.

Nice report. good photos !

Just a quick question for you (P)KD regulars/locals. What are the crowds like in september ? I'm booked in for a visit to BGE and (P)KD and was wondering if I'll be fighting the crowds off with a baguette or not ?

ta

Nice report. good photos !

Just a quick question for you (P)KD regulars/locals. What are the crowds like in september ? I'm booked in for a visit to BGE and (P)KD and was wondering if I'll be fighting the crowds off with a baguette or not ?

ta

pretty much EVERY saturday from May-the 2nd to last saturday is packed

Sundays are a better option.

Howl-o-Scream at BGE starts on September 14--another factor to keep in mind--and KD is only open on Saturdays and Sundays after Labor Day (BGE is also open on Fridays).

And, yep, Saturdays are the busiest days at either park.

hmmmm thats a bugger.. Will be at BGE on sept 14th, KD 15th and BGE again on the 16th. I'm on a mega tight schedule so have only those 3 days to play with. Could do BGE on the fri/sat and KD on sun I suppose !!

Oh well I'm sure it'll be great either way !!

Any ideas if Hypersonic will still be around then ?

Thanx for the info though. At least I know what I'm in for on those dates !!

First post here - good website, good trip report.

My family (me, wife and 1.5 year old) went last Saturday, and we enjoyed ourselves quite a bit, especially considering it was our first theme park trip with our young child.

We had a great time... especially enjoyed the weather. Upper 60's and partly cloudy. We still got a little red in the face since we forgot the sunscreen.

The line to the season pass office was quite long, but didn't take but about 30 minutes to get our passes and picture taken (we didn't get there until about 10:15AM). I'm guessing the line was really long considering that it was KD opening day. Next time we'll be able to just waltz right in.

After we got in, we were able to get a parent swap pass from one of the employees at the turnstiles, since the line to guest services was kind of long. If you and your spouse are by yourselves with children, this is a great thing to have so one of you can go up to the exit and get on once your spouse has ridden a ride. The only hiccup we had was at the Italian Job, as the employee didn't seem like he fully understood how the parent swap pass worked. He thought the card meant you had to come back AFTER 15 minutes, but the card says to return WITHIN 15 minutes, meaning you can ride right away, or come back within 15 minutes to ride. He admitted that he was mistaken after we pointed it out to him and apologized, and let my wife right on.

We rode the Scooby Doo Ghoster Coaster, Avalanche (twice), Italian Job (twice), Tomb Raider Firefall, Scrambler, Ricochet, Carousel, Blue Ridge Tollway, Eiffel Tower, and the Action FX Theater featuring SpongeBob.

None of the lines took more than 15-20 minutes to get through, it was really nice. I was disappointed to see the Shenandoah Lumber Co. (log flume) shut down, we were looking forward to riding that one, a favorite classic. Didn't feel like getting soaked so we skipped the White Water Canyon even though it was open. Firefall was a walk-on in the evening about an hour before closing, looks like they can fit a lot of people on for each ride.

Got a funnel cake, tasted great. Got the "Flight of Fear" special, which was a funnel cake with either strawberry or chocolate topping (we got them to do half and half), then a load of soft serve ice cream on top. I agree, the ice cream was nothing to go crazy about, but the dish as a whole tasted quite good. We packed our lunch so we didn't feel bad about splurging on a dessert. We never like spending a ton of money on KD food because we've always felt like it's way overpriced for the quality and quantity you get. We always pack our lunch because it's way cheaper and tastes just as good. They have picnic shelters out in the parking lot so that is a nice option, you could probably even bring a grill if you wanted to tailgate; someone correct me if KD has a rule against that.

Anyway, Italian Job was our favorite for the day. I'm not a huge extreme roller coaster fan, so this is the perfect ride for me... it's got speed and some air time, but nothing crazy and high off the ground.

We also attended the Nick Jr.'s Dora the Explorer Sing Along Adventure. We thought the show was highly entertaining. The actors and actresses they hired are very nice, energetic, and seem like they enjoy what they're doing. If your kids like Dora, don't miss this one, it's worth it. The show was only about 30 minutes long.

Overall, it was a fun trip, and we can't wait to go back in a couple of weeks. See you there!

hmmmm thats a bugger.. Will be at BGE on sept 14th, KD 15th and BGE again on the 16th. I'm on a mega tight schedule so have only those 3 days to play with. Could do BGE on the fri/sat and KD on sun I suppose !!

Oh well I'm sure it'll be great either way !!

Any ideas if Hypersonic will still be around then ?

Thanx for the info though. At least I know what I'm in for on those dates !!

Hitting BGE on Friday the 14th should be OK (and you'll even have a light crowd for Howl-o-Scream). Sunday is your best bet for KD, but if you have to go on Saturday, I recommend that you get there a little before opening and ride Volcano first thing (lines for the woodies shouldn't be an issue). I imagine Hypersonic will still be around, too--if so, ride it as early as possible (that line gets long fast).

^^^And go Niners! (I'm a former Central Valley resident--strong 49er territory.)

Some photo's I took on April 1, 2007:

^How many trash cans do you see in this picture?

^The enterance got an entire makeover. Looks nice.

^Anaconda did get seat belts. Luckly, it doesn't effect loading times because they are re-tractable.

^Tornado from Eiffel Tower. Looks like a nice slide.

^Here is the view someone mentioned of the Tornado from Drop Zone's plaza area. It really does dominate the enterance.

^Zoom Flume looks nice as well.

^Tomb Raider wasn't running on a full load most of the day today, so the lines were fairly short.

If you want to see more photos go to, KDSource and click "Photos".