TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I feel pretty sure that whenever SFMM gets a new coaster, it will end up being either a family coaster like one of the Tony Hawk coasters, or a new wooden coaster. Shapiro has stated his fondness of wooden coasters in interviews, and a good wooden coaster can be built for a much lower cost in comparison to a new steel coaster from B&M or Intamin. As far as the area back by Psyclone-it could always go back there or they might end up doing what SF Great Adventure did and replace their Viper with an El Toro!

Seriously, though, I think that it will be 2009 or later before another coaster comes to SFMM. I'd rather see them balance out the park and make sure all their coasters are running great before even considering a new one.

they check the seats really well on tatsu and if im not mistaken, they have sensors that tell when the ankle braces are closed.

I'm really happy because my school announced that for Sadie Hawkins we are going to SFMM on the 24th of March (i've already been asked by a feminine type) and yeah, it makes me happy and im really looking forward to it.

Anybody think CP can be talked into doing the same to Mean Streak?

But Mean Streak is a top 10 wooden coaster.

LMAO...Funny how everytime it's brought up that MS is a top ten coaster it's never specified what top ten list it's ranked under.

- Top 10 Coasters to cure insomnia

- Top 10 Coasters that cause internal bleeding

- Top 10 Coasters to use for firewood

Can we just use dynamite instead next time?

Well if a dead whale takes half a tonne of dynamite, a roller coaster could use a full tonne.

(if you haven't seen the exploding whale news report you gotta google it. Just look for the Dave Barry article. Dead whale + dynamite = very bad idea)

It's a sad day whenever a coaster gets the wrecking ball.

I last rode Psyclone when I last visited the park in 2000.

I think this is what I felt after riding the Psyclone.

This coaster should have been called the Suck-Clone.

Perhaps something better will take its place.

I feel pretty sure that whenever SFMM gets a new coaster, it will end up being either a family coaster like one of the Tony Hawk coasters, or a new wooden coaster. Shapiro has stated his fondness of wooden coasters in interviews, and a good wooden coaster can be built for a much lower cost in comparison to a new steel coaster from B&M or Intamin. As far as the area back by Psyclone-it could always go back there or they might end up doing what SF Great Adventure did and replace their Viper with an El Toro!

Seriously, though, I think that it will be 2009 or later before another coaster comes to SFMM. I'd rather see them balance out the park and make sure all their coasters are running great before even considering a new one.

not neccessarily. Shapiro doesn't come up with the park's project, he just approves it. If he feels that a brand new large coaster is the way to go, he will probably approve the park's plan, but I'm assuming he would like to see the parks start switching towards getting dark rides and various other types of family friendly attractions.

^ Once I deciphered your post, I realized what you said. Perilous Plunge isn't exactly a "family" ride, whereas Tidal Wave is. I'm all for a Hurricane Harbor expansion into where Flashback now is, and I've wondered if that park could expand into the area within Colossus, being that it's pretty much wasted space.

Understandably, exposed slides may not work, but some good enclosed ones could, theoretically, wind their way through there without any interference with the operation of Colossus and/or Goliath.

Eric

Hey everybody! Well, with the West Coaster Bash tomorrow and so many exciting things happening around the park, I thought it would be interesting to go do yet another SFMM update! I mean, hell!—I’m not doing anything else, right?

So you’re welcome to join me for my tour around the park! Thanks!

The Calm After the Storm (Part 2)

Well, as most of you know by now, last weekend a few of us visited SFMM to find Psyclone a mere pile of scrap-wood on the ground! And much to our surprise, Bob Logan (Magic Mountain’s Director of Operations, direct from Astroworld) and Kevin Casey were willing to give is a small tour of the deconstruction site! Insane, I know!

But in a sick bit of irony, Mr. SFMM-Updates himself, yours truly, had taken his memory card out of his camera for the first time since he put it in and forgot to replace it! So I didn’t even get the chance to take pictures.

Photo by Max Taylor.

For more photos from our little tour, check them out HERE!

In an interesting little tidbit, we asked our tour guides a few questions. I asked how long it took to come down. Our response was 3 days of major prep-work, but the actual deconstruction took a mere HALF A DAY! Ouch! As for how it came down, they were able to simply make some strategic cuts to the structure and essentially just pull it over! And yes, the trains have all been moved to Colossus.

As of today, any and all wood from Psyclone has been completely removed. Nothing is left but a mere footprint of the ride.

I still cant get over how weird that looks!

The entrance sign has also been removed.

Dejavu doesn’t have a friend anymore!

Mike feels like he lost a little part of his soul...after all, he did trip on Psyclone’s lift!

Two trains are actually already sitting on Colossus’s transfer!

Another one, hidden in the corner.

As for Flashback, you may be wondering? Oh well, there is still absolutely no noticeable work towards its removal yet. Remember, if the park speaks of the truth, the ride will essentially be dissected so that it can be stored for potential ‘future use’. So its removal should be much more meticulous and not so carelessly, as with Psyclone’s.

Thanks to season pass processing, this is the most action Flashback has ever gotten!

…I suppose that I’m not allowed to say ‘action jokes’, eh?

Anyway…moving right along…

The Return of the Ninja

Well, as most of you know, Ninja has been closed for the past few weeks in part of a major repainting! Well it was to both Mike and my surprise that when we walked over there today, the “closed” sign had been removed and the ride was scheduled to open at 11:00am.

Woahohohoah!

Long story short, the ride is open and as beautiful as ever! They didn’t just paint certain areas, like with Revolution, but in fact painted the ENTIRE RIDE! The station, the lifts—hell, even the transfers!

And beyond that, the exit handrails, ride catwalks, operator shack, and even some brand new lift lights!

I’ll let some entirely random photos do the talking…

Yay for shiny-new exit rails!

This is officially the most beautiful ride in the park!

Track you didn’t even realize was there…is all of a sudden there!

As ‘arrowfanman’, I more than approve of this!

Even the freaking transfers were all cleaned up!

Ooooh…even a bit of black for this Ninja!

Supports…utilities…

…catwalks…lifts! All clean and SHINY!

Ahhhh! Somebody call LVPD! I hear they still do some filming in the SCV!

I had to take a front-row ride for myself! Note: There’s something interesting in the background.

Was this photo really necessary?

One final photo from SkyTower of the ride in all of its new-painted-ness!

Well, I sure hope that was enough photos!

Year of a Million Refurbishments

Ok, I know that it is still way too soon to call “revolution” within Six Flags Magic Mountain. But still, I am growing more and more surprised and pleased with the various TLC-projects going on throughout the park! So as they happen, I’ve decided to present them as SFMM’s a “Year of a Million Refurbishments”!

We can start with the “superhero rides”.

Batman’s queue has received a bit of work! The fan is running again, the SFX is playing, and the lights have been replaced!

A horrible photo, but it’s to show that they actually cleaned up the trash in the “junkyard” area of the queue!

I didn’t feel like walking back to the station (since Riddler’s has like…a MILE of queue! ), but last week I noticed that Riddler’s station had received new paint!

Speaking of new paint!!! …

At our little behind-the-scenes tour at Psyclone last week, Bob Logan did ‘comfirm’ that Superman: The Escape would be the next ride to receive a paint job!

Not my first choice for a paint job, but it DOES need one!

And the rumors suggest that it wont simply be “gray” paint, but rather actual “Superman colors”! Weird!

On the topic of “Superman refurbs”…

They are currently in the process of fixing all of the Superman queue lighting and music!

Note: I said in the PROCESS! The entire length of the indoor queue had absolutely NO lights on! So if you go tomorrow, be VERY careful!

…or just trip and fall and retire early! ;

(Also note that my unsuccessful attempt to take that photo screwed up my ISO…why a lot of the other photos are all noisy… )

Dejavu is still down. The most obvious reason would be for Psyclone’s removal, but Kevin Casey claimed that they’re actually synching the ride’s “annual cable replacement” with the Psyc-removal.

Log Jammer’s refurbishment is much more extensive than I thought! It’s now beyond simply mechanical and is aesthetic too!

A closer look, to waste space.

Anyway, earlier I asked if you guys saw anything in the background of that one Ninja pick…did you?

I’m baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

That’s right! Both last week and this week I saw Thrill Shot test! It’s even running with people now!

“Look what I can do!”

A pretty freakin cool closeup!

Finally for today, as you may or may not have heard, the parking lot is being refurbished!

Oooooh…black top!

It actually does look sort of nice!

(Also note how crowded it is!)

Only problem is that it looks more as if they simply “painted” over the original parking lot! The poor quality hasn’t improved any…it’s just darker!

Finally, I know a few of you may be wondering about Tatsu’s refurb. Maybe? No? Oh well!

Absolutely no progress has been marked, other than a picture for “Joe”. Hi Joe!

Oh, BTW…Tatsu’s third train is actually MISSING right now. It is not on the transfers, or anywhere to be seen. Rumor has it that the train has actually been sent BACK to B&M for refurbishment work.

Random Crap!

Alright folks…you know the drill! Here we are at the “Random Crap” section of the update!

First and foremost is SFMM’s new employee uniforms! The front of the shirts are rather harmless. I actually like the “retro” return to “Magic Mountain”…

Not very different…yet!

It’s the BACK SIDE of the uniform that caught my attention.

I mean, I know that the message is sincere and all…but the way they’re conveying the message. OMG!

I found a lot of employees who would rather wear a jacket in 80-degree weather than sport the new polos. Upon asking an old friend of mine about the shirt, he simply responded, “Get off my back.”

…seriously.

Also, it would appear that most supervisors actually wear business attire now, rather than a standard uniform. Interesting.

The “My Six Flags Photos” peeps are also sporting unique uniforms now, as well.

It appeared to be another ‘cheerleader day’…accept these ones were a little bit older. *eyebrow raises*

Tatus’s line today—2 trains, 1 station operation. Aren’t you glad you’re getting ERT tomorrow?

What the hell is this guy doing at SFMM?!

Found you!

“Alright—I already got the seagulls on Chuck and the penguins on Jahan…now I need to contact the pigeons and the eagles!”

Finally, I’ll leave you with this. It’s nearly 1/4 the way through 2007 (werid, huh?!) and they’re still running on the ’06 maps!

…and yes, Psyclone is on the maps.

Thank you so much for reading! As always, feel free to post any questions, comments, concerns, or praise!

-Jahan (arrowfanman@yahoo.com)

That is actually impressive by SFMM standards. But as I've said before, the key will be to see if this lasts now that daily operation will be starting up for spring break.

It's great that they're working to improve the look of the park, but will they maintain it? That's the key. There's no point in painting a ride if you are just going to let it sit and fade away for another 20 years. I personally doubt it, but I hope I'm wrong.

I also think it's funny the uniforms have changed like 4 times since I have worked there, but the nametags haven't.

Great update as usual Jahan.

It's great to see all these little fixer-upper things happening around the park although I'm a bit skeptical this will be maintained once the summer crowds come in.

Anybody remember this time of year one year ago? Tatsu going up, so many "improvements." Then look what happened. I hope to God we don't have a repeat of 2006.

^^I can confirm the new name tags. It will either say your dept. name or a second language, if you can speak one.

I told that employee once today to get off the cell, but now hard proof...and he has long hair (might be religious though).

well everyone whos going, take good pictures please. so what exactly are superman colors? Red, Blue, white/yellow? this should be interesting...no really, it should be....and was that a FULL TRAIN I saw on Ninja? Who ever new a paint job could attract so many people. I agree that this year so far for the mountain is going very well. I plan on getting my thrillshot credit in a couple weeks when I (hopefully) go, as well as freefall, if its actually working for once. Yay and getting to ride X again, how could I forget X...ok I'm done. have fun!

^

Yeah those of us who have been around for a few years remember the park when it was in great shape! We have definately seen a lot of changes to the park over the years.

Of course, the residents in the area have changed a lot as well. Used to be just about everyone drove a few miles to the park. Santa Clarita became a more in-expensive area to live in compared to the coast, or some of the more upscale areas in the San Fernando Valley, or LA.

BTW, thanks Jahan for the update.