TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

^ Yes, I am sure that you would like a new coaster. But listening to people like us (younger enthusiasts) is what got them into this crap in the first place. They need more family area's not another huge thrill ride, I personally love the park not only because it holds my favorite roller coaster but because I felt like there was some family atmosphere. As I said before succesful businesses do not listen to people in our age group. As a general rule it just makes poor business sense.

^^OF course everyone here wants them to put in thrill rides. I would like it if they got rid of everything and put coasters in their place, but that wouldn't make them money. And the goal for them is to make money, not cater (SP?) to roller coaster enthusiasts.

Picture an environmentalist getting mad at a park (A regular park, not a theme park) for "waisting" their money on new benches, when they have enough trees. Would it make sense to put in new trees or make new benches so that people can actually use the park for what it's for?

My guess is they'll retheme Tava's Jungleland since there really wasn't much theming put into it in the first place (where's the jungle???). As mascots for the SF parks, they still need a Looney Tunes area for the kids. But Tava's generic ride packages could easily be rethemed to Thomas and Co., much more so than the themed rides in Looney Tunes Seaport.

Haha, they're not changing Tava's around, trust me.

^ Yes, I am sure that you would like a new coaster. But listening to people like us (younger enthusiasts) is what got them into this crap in the first place. They need more family area's not another huge thrill ride, I personally love the park not only because it holds my favorite roller coaster but because I felt like there was some family atmosphere. As I said before succesful businesses do not listen to people in our age group. As a general rule it just makes poor business sense.

More Family areas? youve got to be kidding me. Their last coaster was in 2004, and that coaster isnt even there anymore. they put in a family area last year, so i think that its pretty much time to put in something thrilling. and im not necessarily saying it should be a coaster, but is it so hard to put in a couple of thrill rides...?

From a business stand point, yes, families to bring in more money, but they need to think about thrill seekers too. Why are big parks, such as SFMM, CP and SFGADV so popular and famous...? becuase they have a good source of thrill rides, not family rides or family areas. Maybe SFMW should start thinking about that. Families arent the only people who bring in money, thrill seekers and teenagers do too.

More Family areas? youve got to be kidding me. Their last coaster was in 2004, and that coaster isnt even there anymore. they put in a family area last year, so i think that its pretty much time to put in something thrilling. and im not necessarily saying it should be a coaster, but is it so hard to put in a couple of thrill rides...?

From a business stand point, yes, families to bring in more money, but they need to think about thrill seekers too. Why are big parks, such as SFMM, CP and SFGADV so popular and famous...? becuase they have a good source of thrill rides, not family rides or family areas. Maybe SFMW should start thinking about that. Families arent the only people who bring in money, thrill seekers and teenagers do too.

And why is SFMM in such deep crap right now? Because all they did was build thrill rides, and now half of them are not even open on any given day. Six Flags also does not have the funds to blow on thrill rides and coasters because they attract more teens than family's and as a general rule family's spend more than teens. I for one don't even eat in park anymore because its so expensive, however if its a family on vacation they are usually a little less tight fisted with their money.

People whining for new rides is not going to help the matter either, Marine World has a good collection of coasters and flat rides. It appeals to more than just thrill seekers which in turn means more money. You have to think of it from a business standpoint because like it or not they are running a business. You complain because you haven't gotten a coaster since what was it now 01? Darien lake didn't get anything since 99! (Note that the park is no longer Six Flags but it proves my point) It really has not been that long and complaining about it isn't going to make it better.

The announcement is going on right now. I wasn't able to make it over to the park, but Sean and Scott are there, and hopefully I will receive word as soon as Shapiro finishes. I'm not expecting anything amazing, but anything new will be nice... Family or not.

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, Vallejo, Calif. – A stunning transformation will reveal thrills by land, sea and sky at a renowned Northern California theme park as Six Flags Marine World – America’s original combination wildlife park, oceanarium and theme park – announced today an exciting new makeover and name change. The park, newly branded Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, will let guests experience a one-of-a-kind adventure featuring a wide range of thrilling experiences, from interactions with exotic land animals and majestic marine life to rides and attractions that will delight families and guests of all ages.

Guests will have the opportunity to explore Six Flags Discovery Kingdom when the park opens March 24, 2007, and beginning on opening day guests will find the park classified into three fun-filled areas – “Land,” “Sea” and “Sky.” Each area will offer something special for every guest, as the new Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is designed to foster both physical and emotional discovery in a dynamic, family-friendly environment. The park’s attractions, including stunning shows, strolling performers and animal interactions, will all be updated to reflect the park’s new name and identity. Families across the country searching for the adventure of a lifetime need look no further than Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.

“The name Six Flags Discovery Kingdom now reflects every aspect of what makes the park so unique,“ said Six Flags President and CEO Mark Shapiro. “Throughout its history, Marine World offered guests a truly distinctive theme park environment, and Six Flags Discovery Kingdom will build and improve on that great tradition. Only at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom can guests ride world-class coasters, feed giraffes, interact with dolphins and watch a killer whale glide through the water, all in one location. A trip to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom will be an unforgettable experience that will create a lifetime of memories for our guests.”

The Tour

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom Entry Guests will enter Six Flags Discovery Kingdom through the newly themed Entry Plaza after exiting safari-themed trams which transport them from the parking areas. Once there, families can catch a first glimpse of the adventure that awaits within the park as they meet some of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom’s most interesting inhabitants at the Animal Outpost. There, the park’s animal ambassadors will be on hand to provide up-close encounters with a porcupine, lesser anteater, macaws and other unique critters. Guests can also interact with trainers, ask questions about the species or snap a friendly photograph of one of the park’s amazing animals from around the globe.

Explorers Outpost

Guests looking to map their trek through the park will begin their journey at the new Explorers Outpost in the Entry Plaza. The Explorers Outpost will serve as a starting point for guests, as well as a place to get information on the 140-acre park’s diverse features. Knowledgeable park ambassadors will be available to help arrange animal interactive experiences, such as Dolphin Discovery, Sea Lion Celebration, Sharks in the Dark, Sunset Seafari and the new Trainer for a Day program, or schedule safari tours, suggest dining options and provide insight on exciting park contests. While at the Explorers Outpost, guests interested in meeting a broad variety of the park’s animals will have the opportunity to purchase the Seafari Pass, which allows them to feed dolphins, giraffes, sea lions and lorikeet, as well as ride Tava the elephant and her friends. Intrepid park explorers who want to beat the crowds can also purchase Flash Passes for the park’s most popular rides at this one-stop venue. After planning out their day at the Explorers Outpost, families are ready to begin their exploration through Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.

Adventures on Land

The wonders of the jungle will await in the “Land” portion of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, where guests will navigate their own safari as they feed inquisitive giraffes or catch a glimpse of powerful lions. From Tava’s Elephant Trails, where guests can ride the park’s pachyderms, to Odin’s Tiger Island where they can get up close with regal jungle cats, the “Land” area of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom will amaze both young and old. An expedition through “Land” also offers an elaborate jungle-themed show, performers, fun children’s rides at Tava’s Jungle Land, and delicious dining options.

Excitement by Sea

Guests will come ‘face to fin’ with captivating marine life in the “Sea” portion of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. Guests will soon take in the new killer whale show starring Shouka, the park’s majestic orca whale, or head down to Merlin’s Dolphin Theater to catch the new dolphin show and discover the world of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom’s Atlantic bottle-nosed dolphin friends. “Sea” explorers are sure to fall in love with the walruses, laugh at the clever and entertaining sea lions and gasp at the mysterious sharks in a variety of distinct animal environments. The park’s Ocean Discovery program offers the most personal glimpse of “Sea,” providing participants with the chance to feed and pet dolphins and stingrays and meet some of the park’s penguins. Guests won’t want to miss the opportunity to board the many themed children’s rides or have a snack at one of the “Sea” area’s tasty eateries.

Thrills in the Sky

It is in the “Sky” section of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom that guests will experience the pulse-pounding, heart-thumping and exhilarating rides that set this park apart from any other. Thrill enthusiasts will find a host of roller coasters – including Medusa, Vertical Velocity (V2) and the wooden Roar – to be the best in Northern California. The “Sky” section will also host the JUSTICE LEAGUE Super Hero Stage, a venue featuring the park’s many well-known super heroes from BATMAN and ROBIN to THE FLASH, GREEN LANTERN and WONDER WOMAN. Adrenaline junkies will scream with delight while soaring through the “Sky” at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.

About Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom offers fun and interactive activities including 35 rides that range from the best roller coasters in Northern California to the most family-friendly rides, sensational shows, more than 35 interactive and educational animal attractions, delicious dining options, games of skill and the opportunity to meet the JUSTICE LEAGUE Super Heroes and the loveable LOONEY TUNES characters. Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is the ultimate family-entertainment destination.

The best value for enjoying the 2007 season is with a Season Pass, which provides unlimited entrance to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and other Six Flags branded parks.

About Six Flags

Six Flags, Inc. is the world's largest regional theme park company. Founded in 1961, Six Flags celebrated its 45th Anniversary in 2006. Six Flags, Inc. is a publicly-traded corporation (NYSE: SIX) headquartered in New York City.

SIX FLAGS and all related indicia are trademarks of Six Flags Theme Parks Inc. © 2007. LOONEY TUNES and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. JUSTICE LEAGUE and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © DC Comics.

THere ya go..

So basically, just a new theme and name. The entertainment offerings look alright. It should be interesting to see if the park pulls everything off.

There is also a video on this site:

http://www.sixflags.com/whats_new.asp

-RD

Sounds pretty darn good to me. I've never been to the park, am I'm well aware they have always had a marine base, but it really sounds like he's trying to mix a BGA, SeaWorld, and Six Flags all into one park. Again, I don't know how many of those animal interactions existed before, but they sound pretty awesome.

All of the interaction programs existed before, some advertised well, others not. I just spoke to Scott (Old Crow) who was at the announcement.. Some more details.

- $16 Million invested into the park for 2007

- Most in the gigantic 3D signs around the park.

- New Acrobatic Show in the Jungle Theater.

- New 4D Movie in the motion Simulator.

Scott also mentioned the media event was really well done, everyone entered through the Blue Water Bay Cafe and listened to Shapiro... Then walked back outside and they had every animal imaginable outside, including all the elephants, cheetahs, alligators, etc.

Looks like it would be a nice investment for the park.

-RD

I just posted an update over at NorCalCoasters.... yes I know its been a while. Needless to say, photos from todays announcement are up, as well as a bunch of concept art released by the park.

SFDK Media Event 1/17/07

The park put on a nice event it looks like, and Shapiro and company were around to take picture with the many animals they had waiting outside.

Thanks to Scott for these photos.

-RD

Thanks Ryan and Scott for the pics, very cool! Am just loving all the new bright colors and beautiful designs of all the new signage throughout the park!

This is how you upgrade a park! (take note CF!) not strip-mine the heart a soul out of the park and cement it over. They've basically taken what the old school MW had always been best know and loved for, repackaged/enhanced/expanded the unique interactive aspect, theme and entertainment offerings of the original park experience, and realigned it all as the main focus once again for the rebranded SFDK. The park will look and feel uniformed like never before instead of all disjointed and unfocused as it had since Premier/SF took over.

So all the rides end up keeping their names. I guess the land themes were more metaphor than literal. Now V2 doesnt fit the ride!! I wonder if Medusa will get at least a fresh coat of paint!?

Well its already pretty late in the season to paint that ride...they open in March, I dont think thats enough time. Maybe next year

I'm really impressed by those 3D metal signs everywhere... the entrance is looking really great.

The safari pass is also a really great idea.

This park is really a great model for the others Six Flags parks... Ok most of them don't have animals but the scenery can be improve at every park.

So all the rides end up keeping their names. I guess the land themes were more metaphor than literal. Now V2 doesnt fit the ride!! I wonder if Medusa will get at least a fresh coat of paint!?

Well its already pretty late in the season to paint that ride...they open in March, I dont think thats enough time. Maybe next year

Well didnt V2 take less than a month to paint?

Park is smart this year about Holiday in the Park... you noticed that in the news article but it's no where on the website... the calander even says they are closed. They won't announce that till late in the season so they don't have a repeat of last year where everyone buys Season Passes expecting to go to it and it gets canceled at the end of summer for unknown reasons.

I think the changes are great. I have a feeling that they aren't done yet... I expect more announcments to come about new attractions within the park before opening day.