TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kemah Boardwalk and Bullet Discussion Thread

OMFGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

dude, i live in Houston, and as a roller coaster lover, i was sad to see Six Flags Astroworld go, R.I.P. (even though really the theme park was not up to par with say Over Texas or even Fiesta) but atleast NOW i don't have to drive 4 hours to get my rollercoaster fix, i do not even care if the ride is the talliest, fastiest, or what not, IT'S A ROLLER COASTER like less then 10 miles away from me...KEMAH HAS ANSWERED MY PRAYERS....

and so you know Kemah is basically a bunch of restaurants with some carnival type rides which is like 10 bucks just to ride the ferris wheel, but i do not mind paying for a coaster, hopefully it will be reasonable.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where as I would definitely agree that that would tend to not boad well for it having huge floater air. (cough, El Toro, cough) It would seem to imply that the whole out of control, laterals and g's would be quite high.

Yeah. I don't like the whole out of Control feeling. I prefer the more, how should i put this, superior sort of layout, with a lot of hills, etc. More like the Voyage, then this new coaster. (Texas).

lmao. Voyage is the definition OF out of control. The only thing thats remotely "normal" are the first 2 hills...then its complete chaos. This ride looks very similar but rearranged in a triangular pattern with lots of swoop turns and tons of drops and hills. Sure they arent the large straight hills, but as Voyage shows, they can cram a hill anywhere they want, even in the middle of the turn.

You meant to say you prefer an out and back, but even then Id still say Voyage and this ride, if its got the same pacing, will be similar. Otherwise, GREAT ride. Its jumped to the top of my most anticipated list.

What makes this thing even crazier is that this thing is built on one acre!

That ride looks really fun, but I wonder that because it is built over an entire acre it might be less intense, due to the streching out of the rough parts.

just a thought

I've visited the park before........ not impressed (the best ride was the thigh crusher *cough*Inverter*cough*). For all yal out there not wanting to come to Texas for this ride just proves that the place is still going to be more for a local hangout than tourist attraction. But this is exciting news to have two new major coasters in Texas in one year (4 if you count the 2 Astroworld coasters out in Hill Country). I personally don't think it will amount to Hades, but we can't deny quality or the first smooth wooden coaster ever in Texas.

Kemah Boardwalk wasn't built as a "park", it was originally built for food and shopping...they've just started adding more rides in the last couple years. Kemah Boardwalk and the surrounding area has a much larger draw for it's shops and restaurants. I seriously doubt they are trying to make themselves a tourist destination that someone in a far away state says "Oh! Let's go there!". In an interview in Amusement Today, Tilman talked about expansion and building a roller coaster Houston could be proud of. He's all about giving people in Houston something to do with AstroWorld being gone. Local hangout or not...they draw over 3 million people a year.

I live pretty close and go visit quite often during the summer as they have live music on the weekends and had fireworks every Friday in June and July this year and June the year before. They host a ton of special events...some so popular that it's nearly impossible to find any parking in the area. They have 3 large surface lots and a 4 story parking garage...which is all free.

Anyways...pretty excited about this since it's only 5 miles away. Found a bunch of hits from this site in my log files (someone posted a link to my photos).

Oh...and last I checked, I wouldn't consider Lubbock and Amarillo the Texas Hill Country....it's pretty dang flat up there

Jason

I've visited the park before........ not impressed (the best ride was the thigh crusher *cough*Inverter*cough*). For all yal out there not wanting to come to Texas for this ride just proves that the place is still going to be more for a local hangout than tourist attraction. But this is exciting news to have two new major coasters in Texas in one year (4 if you count the 2 Astroworld coasters out in Hill Country). I personally don't think it will amount to Hades, but we can't deny quality or the first smooth wooden coaster ever in Texas.

Last I checked there were 5 (counting JTA) .. and again, you must either be special or not a Texan ... Hill Country is San Antonio/Austin area .. not the Panhandle Oil Land.

And as Jason said ... Kemah IS a local hangout and always will be .. not aimed for tourists, tourists can visit Weber area for NASA or Galveston.

Isn't JTA just Atlantica Supersplash from Europa Park? I rode that...and it's not a roller coaster, it's a Splashdown boat.

I don't think anyone that was with us on that trip could actually justify counting it as a coaster and the idea that someone could is actually kind of laughable! If we did we'd have to count every other log flume with a dip-drop in the middle!

--Robb "If that's all JTA is, I can't see how anyone could really count that..." Alvey

some people will .. some wont ... personally its a big flume to me .. but there are those hardcore whores.

I would count it as a credit, even though it has a very short coaster portion. If you think about it, some things count as credits, some don't, so overall even if you count a few extras, you still have missed a few in the process, so it sort of evens out in my opinion. I usually just count what coastercounter and coaster fanatics have as coasters, along with RCDB.

Anyways, I think that this coaster will be sweet. I haven't been on Kentucky Rumbler yet, but I think that the two look similar, even though that they're done by different companies. Does anyone have a NL recreation or anything showing a POV of the ride?

Well for one, it's always hard to judge a woodies speed as they run so inconsistent. Usually when you look at a ride ID plate for a woodie it will say between x and x MPH. I'm guessing that SF just took the second X and milked it as the top speed of the ride for Tex Cyclone.

There are other factors as well as how much the ride is greased, where the person with the radar gun stood, etc. In any case the "top speed" of a woodie should never be taken as seriously as they are so inconsistent.