TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

Well, Disneyland isn't now, the way it was when it opened, hmm? Things change, but if there could be enhancement on the good stuff to keep, like the Cyclone and some of the other attractions there. Could work if a combo is worked out, old with new, etc.

Well said Musical Pete.

I for one am still waiting to hear on progress towards building a new theme park in CT in Norwalk was it (?) , it's fun to see how these concepts take shape (if they do at all) A perfect example is Clifton Hill Niagara Falls. You'll notice over the years they are trying to move away from the Orlando tourist trap look to the slightly shinier Vegas look with a new theme park and other redevelopments.

Only time will tell.

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone,

Hopefully by now you have already submitted your wood coaster ballot and now Mitch has updated the site with the STEEL poll!!!

Here is the link in order to download the steel poll:

http://www.ushsho.com/bestrollercoasterpoll.htm

And as always, if you need help, please have a look at our "Idiot's Guide To Mitch Hawker's Coaster Poll"

http://www.themeparkreview.com/mitch.htm

If you have NOT done the wood coaster poll, that ballot is still available and you have less than 10 days to submit it!

--Robb

• 1 year later...
Despite Silberstein and Sitt’s comments, many in the area remain skeptical, especially after the developer recently gave notice to several amusement attractions that they had 90 days to vacate the premises.

One amusement attraction operator who received a notice said it was odd to get the vacate notice, especially considering that Thor Equities has said it will take them at least 18 months to get a shovel into the ground.

The owner, who asked not to be named, speculated that Sitt may be clearing out the area as the city gets ready to change the zoning from C-7, an open-air amusement area, to one that also accommodates retail, hotels and possible residential development.

“”Why would he [sitt] take tenants out without submitting any plans? It leaves me with the opinion that he’s looking to turn the property over free and clear of any tenants and might already have a customer lined up,” the amusement attraction operator said.

http://www.baynewsbrooklyn.com/site/tab1.cfm?newsid=17477081&BRD=2384&PAG=461&dept_id=552847&rfi=6

If anyone honestly thinks a loud roaring new roller coaster or any other rides roaring in and out of high end retail and residential buildings will actually get greenlit to the final plan, I have a nearby bridge to sell you. Pretty common for any idea pitch to promise all kinds of elaborate plans to get the project approved. But in the end, it's all about what will make the most money, a loud roller coaster outside of expensive condos is not a selling point.

All irrevelant anyways, money talks, once he gets his residential rezone and just turns around and sells off for a HUGE profit to other residential/commercial developers, they'll have their own plans for the property which I guarantee you will not include a new roller coaster.

I have the feeling that once the residential rezoning is approved, the amusement aspect of this plan will disappear. There is far more fast money to be made with townhouses/condos in that location than there is by operating an amusement park. They will probably build a large retail/dining mall as residents will find that appealing.

As for the Cyclone, don't count on it staying just because it is designated as a historic landmark. If it is not kept up and the right politician gets involved, it could be condemned, deemed unsafe, and replaced with a nice historical plaque.

The Cyclone is protected and can never be touched, right?

Why does it matter if the cyclone gives a rough ride, it is very old and you can't expect it to be "glass-smooth". I bet a "Hang n bang SLC" gives worse rides.

That's the whole fun of riding a ACE coaster, to get thrown around and come off feeling like being in a blender.

I'll ride it in an afternoon / evening when it has warmed up and going faster.

I've never ridden the Cyclone and hope to one day. I'm glad it is not going the same way as the "Texas Cyclone".

What happened to the front mouth entrance of the Texas Cyclone..?

Being an ACE landmark gives you nothing. If it's on the Smithsonian list of historic places, however, then the coaster should be safe.

I remember seeing an architectural competition for redeveloping the Coney Island waterfront area a year or two ago, though, if that means anything. That competition seemed to suggest preserving the amusement area. *shrug*

I forget where I heard about this before but from what I read they just wanted to re-develop the park and make it more "modern" with the addition of a new steel coaster.I hope no condos are involved, I hate those damn things that infest shorelines everywhere making it look bland and "up-scale". Just look at what theyre doing to Wildwood

Allan "8675309" bray

^^ Means nothing.

The National Register of Historic Places is primarily a tool to recognize the historical significance of a building, structure, object, district, or site. Listing in the National Register does not restrict private property owners from the use of their property.

Typically, a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) in which the parties involved agree to a particular plan is created. An MOA might address the adverse effect in a variety of ways, often recommending "document and destroy" in which the historic resource is first documented and then demolished as the most prudent and feasible alternative.

No doubt the developers will find "document and destroy" as the most feasible alternative.

We were in New York a few weeks ago and decided to take a trip on the subway out to have a look at Coney Island. My other half wasn't to happy about getting dragged out to see a closed fairground.

I'm glad I got to see it before it is taken over.

Hopefully I will get to return sometime in the future and ride the Cyclone.

DSC05431.JPG.39bc3ca080cf9d6d1248de63e976eb34.JPG

There were about 15 guys working on the Cyclone. It's good to see it getting the upkeep it deserves.

DSC05410.JPG.e0498fffb6c5724445637b547b7b4c46.JPG

She said I should come back here and apply for a job.

^^ Means nothing.

The National Register of Historic Places is primarily a tool to recognize the historical significance of a building, structure, object, district, or site. Listing in the National Register does not restrict private property owners from the use of their property.

Typically, a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) in which the parties involved agree to a particular plan is created. An MOA might address the adverse effect in a variety of ways, often recommending "document and destroy" in which the historic resource is first documented and then demolished as the most prudent and feasible alternative.

No doubt the developers will find "document and destroy" as the most feasible alternative.

This is a city where landlords burn their own buildings to get around rent control. If they want the Cyclone gone, it's toast.

I'm taking a coaster trip to the east coast next June. The Cyclone is now definitely on my list, just in case the worst happens.

I don't know how popular a condo highrise that took down a New York City and American icon would be but I guess after a while people would forget or if the prices were cheap enough they wouldn't mind as much. Just seems like taking out the Cyclone would be a bad idea. Not to mention the endless people that would chain themselves to the thing if any planned demolition occurred.

Didn't Donald Trumps dad get rich in part by bulldozing part of Coney Island?

I just don't see Thor leaving all that money on the table after the area gets rezoned to allow more non amusement building.

There sure had been a lot of "Re-Development" of the area and none of it has been good for the Amusement park side of things.