TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official "TPR In Europe" Ongoing TR Thread.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Ted, you don't get Chimay in WV? We have it all over in Nor-Cal. Let me know, and I'll send you out a nice corked bottle of it.

Actually, I can get my hands on it but I have to buy it in Pennsylvania (approx $100 case). WV has some kind of weird law regarding beer. I can't get any of the great PA Microbrews in WV. Thank god I work by one of the best distributors in PA.

The best beer (my favorites at least) that I can get in WV are:

Guiness

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Bass

Pretty standard stuff, but hop across the state line and BAM. Anything you ever wanted.

The best beer (my favorites at least) that I can get in WV are:

Guiness

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Bass

I visit the Sierra Nevada brewery like once a month. They have the best french fries and probably about 14 different brews on tap. Alot that you can't buy in the stores, just at the brewery. Hmmm.... Harvest Ale!

Just back from the Bobbejaanland day where I Met up with Robb & Elissa and the scooby gang... Wish them all the best of luck getting over it seeing me in the flesh as they might be marked for life... However they will be able to confirm that it was a very dry experience... (Don't ask.... they'll tell you for sure...)

Great meeting you all and (with some luck if our dates cross) see you in Florida

The Ghost says; "You'll stay dry, thrust me"

Same here just got back from Bobbejaan too and it was really cool to meet Robb Elissa and the rest of the euro trip gang.

Got to say that Typhoon was the ride of the day as it has one of the best first drops i have been on.

I will post some pics as soon as i can....

Hi Elissa,

Hi Robb,

Hi everyone else on the trip,

I really enjoyed meeting you all in Booby... no... Bob & Jane ... no ... Bobbejaanland! I am so glad I did not get wet at all. Looking forward to see you all tomorrow in Walibi World.

1549435666_Bobbejaanlandsmall.jpg.feb996afb72fdf5614968fe2c44ef738.jpg

Here we are at Bobbejaanland "Das lustige Land"

Hello everyone! This is day two of our big Europe trip and today we were at “Bobbajaanland.” Of course, we had been pronouncing this park “Bob-a-jan-land” all week, and finally we were told today by both Ghost and Tom, two TPR readers that met up with us, that the correct pronunciation was actually “boba-yawn-land.”

This place certainly was NOT a “yawn” in fact this park was AWESOME! We really didn’t know what to expect coming here, and at one point we considered trying to do this park and Walibi Belgium in one day because they only had a few coasters. I’m glad we decided against that because Bobbajaanland is a LOT more than just the coasters.

This is one of those parks that is so much more than their collection of coasters. They had great flat rides, great water rides, fantastic landscaping, and un-forgettable dark ride (more on that later!) and everything we did turned out to be more than we had expected. We came away from this park thinking “Why did the ACE trip NOT come here in 2002, but spend a full day at Efteling instead???”

We started our day at “Typhoon.” This is a Gerstlauer “95 degree drop” coaster. The layout of it is very unique and very compact. The cars look very much like a ‘larger sized’ wild mouse car, but with over the shoulder restraints. We weren’t too sure what to make out of this ride, and we feared that it was going to be VERY rough. As it turned out, 2 of our 3 rides were VERY comfortable and really bizarre…but in a good way.

The ride begins with a 90 degree vertical lift, so if you’ve been on a Toboggan or a Japanese Ultra Twister, you’ll know the weird experience that I’m talking about. Up and over the lift you go straight DOWN, but further than straight down because the drop curves inward to 95 degree! The first inversions is a loop and then you go through 3 heartline spins which closely resemble those on Volcano. This is one insane, MESSED up ride!!! Overall, we really liked it. We had one ride which was significantly rougher than the other two, but I’m hoping that was due to a train that needed some rehab. But overall, it was really a lot of fun!

Next up was the Wild Mouse. Walking up to this mouse, things are very deceiving…looks like a fairly normal Mack mouse, a mirror image one with two tracks like a Nagashima Spaland, but boarding this ride things are very different…this ride was hardly braked at ALL until the very end! I think we hit one minor mid-course, and what we got out of it was one of the most crazy wild mouse rides ever!

After the mouse we took a walk over to the Air Race. This is a coaster that we have been seeing in photos and TV shows for YEARS! It’s that Vekoma suspended coaster, that looks a lot like an Arrow coaster, but with cute little airplane cars. It was just ‘ok’, and felt a lot like a Vekoma ride, but it was really cute!

Our tour of random water rides was next! Starting with the wet/dry slides that we were told “were mostly dry” but actually ended up mostly “wet!” Thanks Ghost! Then we took on the indoor log flume ride, which, while it didn’t many ANY sense at all was totally awesome!!! Imagine a totally indoor log flume, with insanely cool theming and effects, that gets to TOTALLY drenched. I mean, it felt like I had just taken a shower! Of course, the disclaimer from Ghost was “You don’t get than wet on this ride.” We began to think that this was his way of getting back at all of us Americans!

Believe it or not, we actually found food that Elissa would eat, and it wasn’t McDonalds and it wasn’t just plain pasta! (Ok, there was some plain pasta involved, but she did eat other stuff too!)

We then hit up the rapids ride with the ‘whirlpool ending.’ The only other place I’ve seen one of these is at Wild Adventures, and this one was very cool. Of course, we got wet!

Now for the 2nd most bizarre and cool ride of the day…”Revolution.” All we were told is that this was an indoor Vekoma coaster, similar to Mayan Mindbender or Opryland’s old Chaos. No one told us that there is a huge spiral lifthill with a movie playing on the roof and laser effects on the ground, and then the ride goes through just about every lighting effect you can think of! We all came off stunned! WTF was that??!?! So far, this is the X:\No Way Out or Bullfight Coaster of the trip! We immediately rode again!

We did another lap around the park taking in some of the flat rides like the Giant Frisbee (why is it that these rides at Cedar Point and PKI seem to have hour long lines, but all the international ones we’ve seen you walk right on them???), Dan and Joey did the “George Forman Grill” Huss Fly-away, the ‘happy European fun slides of death that you’ve never see allowed in America because of greedy lawyers and insurance companies’, and found the “BB gun shooting gallery” where you get to shoot REAL guns with REAL bullets!!! :o European parks rule!

And finally, the most awesome, most politically incorrect, the most racially offensive, most AWESOME dark ride any of us have ever been on! The “El Paso Special.” Words cannot describe how awesome, yet how totally NEVER ALLOWED IN AMERICA this ride is, so I’m going to post a bunch of photos below.

Anyway, overall, this park is fantastic! This park looks NOTHING like any park you'd ever seen in America, and IMO, we appreciate the non-PC, non-insurance heavy warning spiels, and the overall relaxed feeling of the park. I wish we had someplace like this in the US, the closest thing I can think of is Knoebel's, but this park is WAY different than Knoebel's.

I’m so glad we decided to spend a full day here and we enjoyed just hanging out and taking in the place. And thanks to Ghost for being a great tour guide in one of his home parks, and to Tom from www.onride.de who met up with us today and well see you again tomorrow!

Tomorrow we’re off to Walibi World (ex Six Flags Holland) and there is a chance that we may not have an update until Monday since we’re not sure of the hotel we’re at tomorrow will have wi-fi, and then we’re on an overnight ferry the next night.

Here are today’s photos….

NOTE: If you want to go right to the page of the latest trip report and photos without reading through the responses, check the "what's new" page: http://www.themeparkreview.com/whatsnew.htm

bob21.jpg.ceae32c7bf90d30d91f9deee74be9a2f.jpg

And the best part about El Paso Special is that it turns out to be the legenday "Bench: The Ride!!!!' :o

bob16.jpg.d6454e025eba5b001d4535e184913c91.jpg

Joey caps those mexicans, indians, and confederates two-fisted Jon Woo style!

bob20.jpg.273dff7281af243b1d02fec195734078.jpg

And if you score high enough you even get to see spousal abuse!!!

bob19.jpg.8d6a858bdab613c6b0326e5f42646a32.jpg

...then get to shoot confederate soldiers!!!!

bob18.jpg.e86fda914fb285058b91225b92498755.jpg

...then get to shoot indians...

bob17.jpg.6e93d5a8a1f84aa27a57d81f75f223b9.jpg

...get to shoot mexicans...

bob15.jpg.c8be032f02a9ddfe0cb5fcb89f784bb3.jpg

Ahhh, the "El Paso Special." The totally non-politically correct shooting dark ride where you....

bob14.jpg.effc23c69971ccce1fc2a727d79d6de2.jpg

Fun whirlpool rapids ride.

Us: "Do we get wet on this Ghost?"

Ghost: "Not really"

Tom: "Damn you Ghost!!!!"

bob13.jpg.5d911e69724beb6701ec0960f5c459d0.jpg

Here is "Vekoma Hat Guy"

bob12.jpg.803dfcf5ae99664aef93797488967098.jpg

The Happy Fun Slide Of Death Ride Op is also a TPR reader!

bob11.jpg.1ea46e338a46ba88992e8973ed9dae56.jpg

We ran into a number of Theme Park Review readers...starting with "Tinhead"

bob10.jpg.df45724a78e3d7c92d7ac3da9d68dd2f.jpg

Ahh, park food for everyone.

bob9.jpg.31da525d3848d6b98c0d96c4a01af546.jpg

All we could hear was screams of agony from Dan and Joey!

bob8.jpg.222599b5471e0d98ef6cd309fca816ce.jpg

Dan and Joey in the George Forman Grill.

bob7.jpg.acd533a69c49e08476528254dd96c037.jpg

The Air Race...cute trains...fun ride...but kinda rough. It's Vekoma!

bob6.jpg.7c75a4fb385cb3a77c32e5f7fd61765c.jpg

Joey: "Damn you Ghost!!!"

bob5.jpg.151e25b03b5a73765a25ea336469ae6a.jpg

The wet/dry slides.

Ghost: "You don't get very wet!"

bob4.jpg.ccb57a4dcfb599eb94621f92236cffb5.jpg

Very smooth heartline spins, much like the ones on Volcano.

bob3.jpg.d2bf4435c0417aaabe634acdf079fe9b.jpg

As you can see the drop curves beyond 90 degrees!

bob2.jpg.9e76c4e4d6b57b89db2575628d81dc15.jpg

Typhoon - 95 Degree drop??? Yessir!

bob1.jpg.d8f4c104f354ce93c83866857953167d.jpg

"Bobby-Jean-Land" - glad we decided to spend a full day here! This place was soooo cool! =)

omg this Video is so funny.

It's very interesting that "el paso" is so special for you, though I understand why. I was laughing loudly as I read your comments on the ride.

The Double-Mouse is one of my favorites too. Back in 99 the ECC went there and we had an hour of ERT on it. They ran both sides, so we ended up riding this thing for an hour straight. We only got out of the cars to switch mouse-sides. God this was so much fun.

Just back from the Bobbejaanland day where I Met up with Robb & Elissa and the scooby gang... Wish them all the best of luck getting over it seeing me in the flesh as they might be marked for life... However they will be able to confirm that it was a very dry experience... (Don't ask.... they'll tell you for sure...)

Great meeting you all and (with some luck if our dates cross) see you in Florida

The Ghost says; "You'll stay dry, thrust me"

When you come to Florida let me know...I live less than 2 hours away from the parks...

^^ Mack often uses that kind of cars in there darkrides.

next think you know there will be a drop that completly goes into itself and vertical loops where you ride on the outside of the loop.

There are a few flatrides on the Belgian fairs that do that. (My favorite flatride BTW)

We really didn’t know what to expect coming here, and at one point we considered trying to do this park and Walibi Belgium in one day because they only had a few coasters. I’m glad we decided against that because Bobbajaanland is a LOT more than just the coasters.

Just wait till you see Phantasialand.

hey Robb - remember me - the man who first showed you the delights of the UK - how many days did I skive off work to show you around that time?

Anyway - if you're back in the Uk this time let me know - would be good to catch up - last time I saw you was at Knotts - but Elissa looks cool - would be good to meet her and of course you havent met my little one yet. 2 and half and already ridden about 7 "real" coasters and a couple of real size logflumes ( thank god she got my genes and was a tall child !!)

Michael B

PS Kevin & Wayne say hi !

Wow! I was gone from the computer for a week and I come back to TRP and find that you guys are already in Europe! Anyways, sorry I missed out on all the fun TR's but reading them made me glad you guys were having a good time! Europe looks really awesome and I can't wait to get there (someday? hopefully!) and your photos are giving great examples of the parks and such.

It's weird to see all the "walibi world" photos and stuff like that considering that I'm so use to it being SF. I dont know how the SLC was at Walibi Belgium before it was ran by SF so I was wondering if maybe when they bought out the prak they might have treated it better? Although I noticed theres been a few SLCs I actually dont mind at all (the one at Astroworld wasn't as terrible as some of the others and I like Hangman at Wild Adventures).

The more I see of that park the more fun it actually looks (considering what I always saw of the park didn't look like much was there, it actually looks half decent). I wish I could ride the bumper cars there, surprisingly Cypress Gardens had AMAZING bumpers when it first opened, they flew everywhere and they didn't get too mad when you did head on collusions, now they seem to be a bit more "strict" about it.

For Bobbajaanland, hearing that they have a ride there that resembles Volcano made me want to go there immidiately! Anything that equals to Volcano must be amazing. Reading all the replies you put of ghost and the park were hilarious, and the water rapids looked insane! (just a question) is that kindof like the same one thats at Wild Adventures? I know they were showing this ride off at IAAPA and I thought that might be the same kind, but this looks allitle more resembling to it.

Everything looks and sounds great so far guys, sorry I was late on replying to your trip, but hey I replied! BTW: multimueller nice group photo at Bobeqwel;r5jqffland, and Maverick_be nice photos! They turned out great!

-Justin "who likes reading the TR's more than viewing the photos"

^^ Michael! How the hell are you??? I thought you had dropped off the face of the earth! I met up with Kevin and Wayne a couple of years ago at Thorpe, but no UK on this trip for us.

We *will* be in the UK next year, though, and we'll have to arrange a group meeting!

Keep in touch, drop me an email, and if you are ever stateside, please let us know!

--Robb "Good to hear from you again!" Alvey