Photo TR: Beemer's weeklong trip back home to Florida...

USF, IOA, WDW, Key West, Fort Lauderdale....and, Boston?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby obeygiant » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:47 am

great tr!
this just makes me want to go to Disney even more..But, with their ticket prices these days, I'm guarenteed to not be going anytime soon..

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:00 pm

Thanks for the compliments guys. It's a shame our paths couldn't cross at some point in time in Orlando. It's still weird how so many of us picked the same general time to visit.....maybe next year, we'll catch up with you! Anyway, time for the next segment of this epic story.

After I left WDW, I delivered the car in Fort Lauderdale, met up with the gang at the resort. On Sunday, we kicked back, lounged by the pool, had a few beers at the tiki bar, and watched the Dolphins lose again to New England. :x

On Monday, it was time to make the 4 hour drive south to Key West....one of my favorite places on earth. It's not like it was in the old days, when Jimmy Buffett still lived there, but still a great place to relax and enjoy yourself. And since we never really get out anymore, it was nice to have a night to cut loose a bit, and party like the old days. Unfortunately, my brother-in-law's wife, Jennifer, recently received the news that she was pregnant with their first child. Now I know that's actually not unfortunate at all, but sadly, it did mean that she had to retire back to the room after dinner, and couldn't join us at Sloppy Joe's this time around. :( Thankfully, she's really cool about it all, and wished us the best time. We love her for that!

Time to let the pics tell the story.....
1.jpg
Your driver for the day – Jeremy. I’ll be playing the part of navigator…..and obviously, photographer as well.
3.jpg
A house that was never completed. Well not until I can come up with a couple million, anyway.
4.jpg
A couple million would no doubt elicit this reaction.
5.jpg
Yes, it’s really 7 miles long.
8.jpg
Any True Lies fans? If so, you may recognize this.....I'm sure Jamie Lee Curtis does.
9.jpg
Our destination.
10.jpg
The lobby.
10a.jpg
The pool.
12.jpg
Pina Colodaburg was closed, so we had to settle for this.
13.jpg
I’m at one of my favorite places on earth. For years, the adopted home of my all-time favorite musical artist; so naturally we’re gonna end up here for lunch.
15.jpg
Jennifer and Jeremy enjoying it.
16.jpg
As are we. And Shannon has yet to adapt to the flash on the camera.
17.jpg
When in Rome….
19.jpg
Ok, first, it’s pronounced “konk.” And secondly, this was the original flag used for the island’s secession in 1982.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conch_Republic
21.jpg
No women going crazy here today…..yet. Only Parrotheads will understand that.
22.jpg
It may be a bit cheesy, touristy, and aggrevate the locals at times, but it’s still a great way to see and learn about the island.
23a.jpg
Papa Hemingway’s old hangout….and one of my personal favorite watering holes. Good times are sure to be had here later.
24.jpg
"Little Jerrys" and stray cats rule the island.
27.jpg
While we’re on the Seinfeld kick, Shannon proclaims I am “spongeworthy.”
28.jpg
A peek inside the aquarium at Mallory Square.
29.jpg
“I said gimme some candy!!”
31.jpg
Shannon visits with a local resident of Mallory Square.
32.jpg
On this spot, Jeremy became the first person in the Eastern time zone to puke in the new millennium. Seriously, at the stroke of midnight, January 1, 2000, I was present to witness the historic event. We were sad that there was no plaque to commemorate it
33.jpg
Time for some grub. Yep, this is now home to….
34.jpg
This. Owned by actor, Kelly McGillis, who once co-starred with well-respected Harrison Ford in “Witness,” and freakshow scientologist, Tom Cruise in “Top Gun.”
35.jpg
The ceiling fans over the indoor bar section. Very clever don’t you think? Their Golden Ale was the hoppiest I've ever tasted, too. A couple and I was set.
36.jpg
Time for more beer and some interior decorating.
37.jpg
Shannon’s either very happy about sitting on Eric Clapton’s bar stool, or still hasn’t adapted to the camera’s flash….or both, I’m not sure.
42.jpg
Me, I’ll take the comedic choice.
38.jpg
Now for that interior decorating….
39.jpg
I’m definitely at home here.
40.jpg
41.jpg
Sorry Tony, you’re not getting my wife’s bra.
43.jpg
After a couple more Red Stripes at Tony’s, it was time to hit up Sloppy Joe’s. A slow Tuesday night crowd, which was a change for us since we always seem to visit when it’s a packed house.
44.jpg
I want that marlin for my wall at home.
45.jpg
Ummm,so don’t undercook my burger then, ok?
46.jpg
We’ll only be drinking cheap beer from this point on, thank you.
47.jpg
The cover band for the evening was from Atlanta.
49.jpg
Yep, A-Town…….Yeeeyah.
48.jpg
"Bringin' it"
50.jpg
On a mission to bring sexy back.
51.jpg
She succeeded, in my opinion. Oh, and also managed to make this happen….get me on tha flo. Six beers to that point in the evening didn't hurt.
52.jpg
On the long walk back to the hotel, we stopped into a pizza joint run by some Philly guys. I toasted a fallen `Cane, and we continued our trek back to the room.
53.jpg
Tuesday morning brought a chance to revisit a couple more touristy things….such as this. What? C’mon conchs! I know you’re all on island time, but you couldn’t repaint “ost” by now?
58.jpg
The best breakfast in the Keys. One that we would not get to enjoy this morning.
59.jpg
Instead, we had to settle for an early lunch here at Willy T’s (don’t let the sign fool you). You see how thrilled Shannon is…..I concur.
wyland.jpg
Just before we left the island, it was time to stop in and drool at one of my favorite artist’s work.
61.jpg
Beautiful stuff.
62.jpg
And then the last thing I ever expected happened. This became ours. Trust me, a major art purchase was not originally in the playbook. Definitely an audible at the line.

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:54 pm

Okay, so after our one "wild" night of the year, it was time to get back to reality. I also realized real quick that those days are past me for a reason. The body takes a little longer to recoup now. :lolr:

Anyway, Wednesday brought us back to Orlando for some Universal goodness. Again, Jennifer wasn't quite feeling up to the 6 hours of driving for the day, and really couldn't enjoy the parks like she'd want to, so she sent us off with best wishes, and chilled at the resort for the day. We missed ya though, Jen.

First up for the day was USF. A few quick thoughts. Mummy delivered! Besides MIB and Mummy, there really isn't much else here to keep me interested. We didn't spend much time here....therefore, not as many pics. Oh, but IOA is up next....and that always makes up for the lameness of USF. Well, at least IMHO.

On to the pics....
1a.jpg
Ok, so we parked in Jaws, apparently with a gum problem. Someone please remember where we parked, ok?
1.jpg
The trek begins.
2.jpg
And the race is on.
3.jpg
This Stitch Assist option on the camera works pretty well.
4.jpg
As you can see, Universal Orlando has made an excellent effort to recognize many of America's biggest professional sports......NASCAR.......
5.jpg
The NBA.........
6.jpg
...Major League Baseball....
7.jpg
That spinning globe will always look cool.
10a.jpg
At lunch the other day, Jeremy asked me, "Scott, has there ever been an unwatchable big budget storm chasing film with it's own theme park show/exhibit which was ruined by a fake cow swinging on obvious wires?"
10.jpg
12.jpg
Xavier, Gary, and Ita. Just another day at the park for them. Sometimes I wish I lived in Orlando too.....sometimes.
13.jpg
Do I spy a redneck's dream?
14.jpg
The benefit of arriving when the park opens on a Wednesday in October.
15.jpg
Time for the second new credit of the trip.
16.jpg
Of anyone in here, you'd think I'd be the one bothered by the blatant VW promotion. Oddly enough, I didn't mind it at all.
17.jpg
Impressive queue. Most impressive.
18.jpg
Almost looks like the evolution of man chart, or a Cingular ad.
20.jpg
I'm at a loss for words on this one. lol
21.jpg
I should be rewarded for actually riding this crap.
22.jpg
I have yet to see this movie from start to finish. But hey, the ride's cool.
23.jpg
These gusy are disturbingly creepy, yet funny at the same time.
24.jpg
I like the design of the ride vehicle. That's really not interesting at all, is it? Sorry.
25.jpg
Still open, yet I have no interest in outdated simulator rides not starting with "Star" and ending with "Tours."
26.jpg
How long 'till the Simpsons ride?
27.jpg
Space-related trick shot, yet no Sinise. Sorry Wes. You're Mission: Space stuff triumphs.
28.jpg
Just a reminder. Men, you should frequently inspect 'em. Early detection is critical to surviving testicular cancer.
29.jpg
Yay for another kiddie credit.
30.jpg
Just happy to pick up the missed credit from the last visit, and a walk-on as well.
31.jpg
EXTREME POV!!
32.jpg
Harassment! Call HR, check his emails! Heck, he's probably been secretly hitting on Jimmy Neutron. We're suing, and I'm taking you down, Universal!
8.jpg
11.jpg
There's a connection there somewhere.
9.jpg
We liked the movies, but skipped the show. It wasn't a priority today. The donkey, however; does make this a certifiable TPR photo TR.

Bubbles!

Postby ParkTrips » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:04 pm

lol you drink Bud Light :Pr

I was in Jaws 212 just a few days ago.. and miss it already ::cry::

Cool stuff BUT I deduct a point for the lack of a driving machines/trolley ride photo.

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:36 pm

Okay, so it was time to jump over to IOA for the rest of the day. The crowds were pretty light today, which was very nice to see. Here's the quick rundown:

Hulk, 2 rides - 1 front row wait/ 20 minutes, 1 "big boy row" ride later in the day when the crowds got a bit heavier before HHN/ 25 minutes.

Hulk was running 3 trains all day, but one remained emtpy in order to meet the testing requirments of a new train.....or so I was told. Was kinda tough to tell. Anyone know if there's any truth to that "new train" claim they made?

Doom, 2 rides - One in the morning, and one before we left/ each 5-10 minute waits.

Spidey, 2 rides - both no longer than 20 minutes.

Dueling Dragons, 3 rides, 2 Fire, 1 Ice - all front row rides, none more than a 15 minute wait.

All in all, a great day at the park.

It's picture time again, boys and girls......
1.jpg
Indeed it does.
2.jpg
Do we look ready? Well, actually, judging by the pic, not really. But trust me, we we’re stoked about our free adventure thanks to a generous friend! Thanks again, Justin
4.jpg
There’s my baby. I’ve missed you!
3.jpg
Okay, so there's my real baby, standing by our first order of business – lunch. ;)
5.jpg
So this is Hulk.
7.jpg
I like the wide angle look.
8.jpg
The 1,976,347th time you've seen this shot.
9.jpg
Wait for it.....
10.jpg
Bam.
11.jpg
Still my favorite S&S tower. Especially when riding with someone clueless as to what they do. Jeremy’s reaction was priceless. Just a shame we couldn’t capture it on film….and also a shame that line doesn’t really apply anymore due to the digital age, huh
12.jpg
Awesome queue line scores high marks with me.
13.jpg
Will do, Mr. Doom. Sorry, Doctor…I mean, Doctor.
14.jpg
Hooray for 5 minute Dr. Doom waits.
15.jpg
Ah, there we go.
16.jpg
"Grrrr……..don’t use the 'gimme some candy' line." Sorry doctor, too late…you just did.
17.jpg
May I claim “exclusive shot?”
18.jpg
Toss up: a billion dollar theme park to explore, or blowing money in the arcade? Hmmm…
19.jpg
Spidey arrives on the scene. Evidently, the whole swinging from building to building thing has lost its charm or something.
20.jpg
Two words: Still AWESOME.
21.jpg
Sadly, these computers are probably still faster than the crap at work.
22.jpg
What do you do at this point in line?
23.jpg
Well, you take a group pic wearing 3D glasses, of course.
24.jpg
Another satisfied customer.
25.jpg
Kirsten Dunst has nothing on my leading lady. You just watch your hands, you web freak.
26.jpg
Yep.
28.jpg
The golfers in here would refer to this as ground under repair. Free drop.
29.jpg
Hilarity ensued.
30.jpg
Looking as good as ever. But we skipped it to stay dry.
31.jpg
Now everybody, in just a moment, we’ll need your beset Richard Attenborough voice while saying “Welcome, to Jurassic Park.” Any locals know if this look-a-like still wanders the park from time to time? The pic was circa 1999.
32.jpg
This is your cue.
33.jpg
I’m not gonna lie. What’s the best thing about having a new 5 year old nephew?
34.jpg
Finally getting the freakin’ Pteranodon Flyers credit!!
35.jpg
I love the setting of this ride.
36.jpg
The bad part – having to think about how cool this ride would be if it was about 20 times bigger than it is.
37.jpg
You guessed it….through the trees.
39.jpg
Wait. No guide dogs, but peg leg pirates are welcome? Crap, don’t tell Disney.
40.jpg
Almost an hour later.
41.jpg
Our bird is ready.
42.jpg
Pov excitement.
43.jpg
I love this ride. There, I said it. Short, but still pretty sweet. Would I wait more than 10 minutes to ever ride it again? Nope, but still pretty fun once around.
44.jpg
Shannon approves, and Jeremy once again fails to recognize he’s in the pic.
45.jpg
And now it’s time for the act like a 10 year old segment. Truth is, I was right there with ‘em . Stepping on cutouts to make dino sounds is the coolest thing you can do when, um, you exit the Pt. Flyers in Jurassic Park.
46.jpg
Yep, that works for me.
47.jpg
Well, that’s nice, but there really was 10-15 minutes worth of people around the corner.
49.jpg
Lift hill enthusiasts….
50.jpg
“Hey Scott, what has 2 thumbs and likes the fact that Jurassic Park shares the same initials as me?” Yes, Jer, I know.
51.jpg
Our dino?
52.jpg
Broken raptor pen….and I’m afraid you will not be seeing the raptors either. I couldn’t get the camera turned back on in time. I’m such a putz sometimes.
53.jpg
As much as he liked it, Jeremy will not be getting that tattoed anytime, anywhere.
Sans-titre-1.jpg
“Okay, now I wanna see an EPIC splash at the end of this thing, ok? I don’t care how you get it done…just get it done!”
54.jpg
Yes sir, Mr. Spielberg.
And with this pic, we'll take a short commercial break.

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:38 pm

ParkTrips wrote:lol you drink Bud Light :Pr

:lolr: Well, I did say we'd be drinking cheap beer from that point on. It was quality stuff up until that point in the evening. ;)
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

The Resident Smart-Ass

Postby CoasterFanatic » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:51 pm

Don't know if that guy still wonders the park, but he was there on a visit with some friends in 2000.

I distinctly remember one friend being very impressed with his whole "Welcome to Jurassic Park" routine.
Ted

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:10 pm

Picking up where we left off....
55.jpg
Let's go inside. Because it's super incredibly awesome fun time in there? Well, not really, but there is a cool photo spot out back.
56.jpg
Wow, it’s like something out of a movie.
56a.jpg
I wasn't lying.
57.jpg
"Dude." "What?"
58.jpg
We managed to find it. Not lost anymore now, is it?
59.jpg
Let the dueling begin.
60.jpg
And continue.
61.jpg
Hi, I’m Ice Dragon. I’m the lesser of the two, but the ladies love me.
62.jpg
Yeah, but I was ranked higher in Mitch’s poll.
KISS---Gene-Simmons--C11751295.jpeg
I’ve gotta side with Ice on this one. Even I’m jealous.
63.jpg
It’s that time again.
64.jpg
Small mid-week crowds before HHN meant 15 minute front row waits.
65.jpg
It’s time to see the coolest water feature known to man. And no, not the one pictured here.
66.jpg
Nothing clever to say here. Move along. Oh wait. Dude, your sister’s hot!
67.jpg
Um, theming and stuff.
68.jpg
Is this the water feature you speak of? Nope. Keep moving. Next show in 5 minutes.
69.jpg
Whoa. There it is. Sorry, kinda tough to get a good pic in there, but you get the idea. Well, those of us lucky to have seen it, I guess.
71.jpg
A quick obligatory look at Mythos for all the Mythos fans out there.
72.jpg
Bet you can’t guess where we’re headed next?
73.jpg
Joe, there'll be no pics of the trolley itself, but does this count as half a point?
74.jpg
I just simply wasn't interested in riding. And even if I was, 35 minutes? No thanks. Sorry guys.
75.jpg
I’m not even gonna try to type out the name of this since I can’t ever remember what it’s called. Carousel in Seuss landing. There, that should do it.
76.jpg
The carousel always delivers a smile. Well, until some idiot stopped our ride short due to hanging off the side and not understanding the 4 warnings from the ride op. Thanks, moron.
77.jpg
Okay, let's try this one. Hulk….through the trolley, topiary, Seuss Landing sign, carousel, and random trees.
78.jpg
One last Hulk ride before we left. And since the late afternoon/early evening lighting looked so good, it was picture time as well. Mmmmm, purty.
79.jpg
Mmmmm, loopy.
80.jpg
Mmmmm, just mmmm.
80a.jpg
Sadly, it was time to leave.
82.jpg
This pic is here for no other reason than I like this sign.
83.jpg
No hun, I can't buy that tiger. Sorry.
84.jpg
Oh, you bet it does. The Florida Turnpike is always thrilling.
85.jpg
Anything Buffett-related is okay by me.
86.jpg
Especially his plane, the Hemisphere Dancer. I’ve actually seen him fly this thing over the tailgating crowd in West Palm Beach several times over the years. Good times.
87.jpg
Gimme a Corona Light and I’m set.
88.jpg
2 Margaritaville credit in 2 days. Not too shabby.
89.jpg
The closest we came to HHN. Large crowds of moronic drunk Floridians is something we could find back home in downtown Fort Liqourdale, so we skipped it.
90.jpg
Unfortunately, the closest I got to doing any surfing this week.
91.jpg
You’re welcome. Hope to see you again asap. Okay, who remembers where we parked?
92.jpg
Oh, that's right. Now back to Fort Lauderdale so we can close out this report. Thanks for reading. See ya soon!
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Chase » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:57 pm

Nice pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby RaptorBoyASU » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:15 am

Wow, massive and awesome trip report. Loved seeing the pics at Key West. I've been meaning to take a visit there while visiting my sister in South Florida, maybe xmas time this year.

All these updates of Orlando make me wish I had some free time to get there right now

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive