Photo TR: BACT Goes to Hungary, Austria and Germany

Part Four posted 10/16: Schloß Beck and Movie Park (page 3)
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby DallasAlvey » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:08 pm

The park looked fun but it also looked like Castle Park Austrian style.
The coasters looked fun and so did that mountain train thing.
The pictures were great and I can't for your next post.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby coastrfreak2000 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:21 pm

Ewww a Zamperla Volare....

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby J.R. » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:50 pm

Part 3: Salzburg, Austria to Essen, Germany (warning--no coaster content!)

After our day at Prater, we validated our Eurail passes and took the train across Austria from Vienna to Salzburg. Our ultimate destination was Essen, just north of Düsseldorf, in the North Rhine-Westphalia region of Germany, where we'd meet up with Greg, who had been sightseeing in Berlin. Our plan was to spend a night in Salzburg, do a little sightseeing the next day, and then continue on to Essen.

Our hotel was the Best Western Hotel Zum Hirschen. Nothing "Best Western" about it; it was a really nice place with plenty of outlets for Tim and Dave to recharge all of their gadgets. There were Mozart balls on our pillows which were delicious. The Mozartkugel, as it is called, originates from Salzburg (as did Mozart) and has a core of pistachio, marzipan, and nougat coated with dark chocolate--yummy! Equally exciting was my discovery that the TV channel line-up included a 24-hour "The Sound of Music" channel! I am a big fan and Tim obliged by letting me watch a bit before we turned in.

The next day, after an excellent breakfast that included some of the best bacon I've ever had (I often wonder what Europeans think of the generally crappy and pathetic "Continental" breakfasts that American hotels tend to offer; theirs are far superior...), we set of to do some sightseeing before we had to catch our train.

We walked a few blocks from our hotel to the Salzach river, walking along the river until we reached Mirabell Gardens and Schloss (castle) Mirabell. There was some sort of bike race going on in town that day so there were parts that were blocked off and helicopters buzzing overhead but we did get to see the gardens (featured in the Do-Re-Mi sequence of "The Sound of Music"), including bits of the Salzburg Dwarf Garden, before heading back to the hotel to check out and walking to the train station. Salzburg is a town I wouldn't mind visiting again. Maybe next time I'll make it to Erlebnispark Strasswalchen. (And if Derek ever goes, there's "Brauwelt," Europe's largest exhibition of beers. Check out http://www.brauwelt.at/e_home.htm and take the bierquiz while you're there)

(Next: Schloss Beck and Movie Park)

Janna
IMG_2351.jpg
"The hills are alive with the sound of music
With songs they have sung for a thousand years..."
IMG_2360.jpg
IMG_2363.jpg
Mirabell Gardens. Maria and the children pranced through here while singing "Do-Re-Mi".
IMG_2366.jpg
"Doe, a deer, a female deer
Ray, a drop of golden sun...
IMG_2367.jpg
...Me, a name I call myself
Far, a long, long way to run...
IMG_2368.jpg
...Sew, a needle pulling thread
La, a note to follow Sew...
IMG_2369.jpg
...Tea, a drink with jam and bread
That will bring us back to Do....
IMG_2370.jpg
...Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do.."
IMG_2372.jpg
From the Dwarf Garden (and also seen in The Sound of Music).
IMG_2374.jpg
!!!
IMG_2375.jpg
Hot stuff.
IMG_2383.jpg
The scene at the train station in Munich, where we had to switch trains. Lots of people coming for Oktoberfest, dressed in lederhosen (so hot!) and dirndls, and a really party-type atmosphere. We couldn't wait to come back!
IMG_2385.jpg
IMG_2389.JPG
IMG_2394.jpg
Hey, there's a WalMart in Essen!
IMG_2395.jpg
Here's one for the beer thread, from Cafe and Bar Celona (get it?) at Kennedy Platz in Essen.

Danke für lesen.

Postby J.R. » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:01 pm

niiicolaaah wrote:Hahaha... if I ever go there I have to budget for using the restrooms... :lolr:

I tried to pee for free wherever I could but I also kept .50 euro coins on hand for when I really had to go and a pay WC was the only thing around. There's also toiletten that are technically free but there's someone sitting there next to a tip plate...

Janna

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Beager » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:27 pm

First time posting so I hope this works. Where was the Hochschhaubahn? I was there last August and didn't see it, and was looking forward to riding it. Otherwise, I really enjoyed that park, very different from what I'm used to out here in So. Cal. It had lots of Fun Houses, the type that we don't see anymore. And the dark rides were pretty cool. We also did the Dino walk-through. Cheesy, but I love cheesy stuff. :)

Erin

Postby J.R. » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:43 am

Beager wrote:First time posting so I hope this works. Where was the Hochschhaubahn? I was there last August and didn't see it, and was looking forward to riding it. Otherwise, I really enjoyed that park, very different from what I'm used to out here in So. Cal. It had lots of Fun Houses, the type that we don't see anymore. And the dark rides were pretty cool. We also did the Dino walk-through. Cheesy, but I love cheesy stuff. :)

Erin

Hochschaubahn is in the rear of the park. If you take the train (Liliputbahn) back you'll see it, although the first train stop passes it and you'll have to walk back a bit. You can see it on this map:
http://www.wien-event.at/prater/plan.html
Click on the map to enlarge it. For some reason, the numbers don't match the printed guide; Hochschaubahn is at number 195/196, facing Hauptallee.

I agree--the fun houses and dark rides (well, the ones we did anyway) were great.

Janna

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby coastrfreak2000 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:17 pm

Mirabell Gardens looks very beautiful.

Postby J.R. » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:24 pm

Part 4: Schloß Beck Freizeitpark and Movie Park Germany

After checking out of our ultra-modern Sprockets-like hotel in Essen (Welcome Hotel Essen), we stashed our luggage at the train station and took the train to Bottrop Feldhausen. Schloß Beck Freizeitpark is a pleasant 5 minute walk from the train station and Movie Park Germany is about a 10 minute walk.

We arrived at Schloß Beck around the scheduled opening time but had to wait a few minutes while staff finished opening preparations. Schloß Beck (Castle Beck) is a former Baroque castle built in 1766 that functioned as a schnapps distillery in the 18th century and then fell into disrepair until the late 1960's when it was purchased, restored and opened to the public.

While not huge on thrills, Schloß Beck was still very charming and fun. The castle features a haunted basement and the upper rooms are full of dioramas with moving figures and music that is activated by the push of a button.

In addition to Familienachterbahn, a medium-sized Tivoli coaster, there are several of the Heege Freizeittechnik self-activated rides, including double Nautic Jets, a Luna Loop, Tower, and Sky Dive (zip-line-type ride), fun slides and all sorts of interesting playground equipment for Derek to hurt himself on.

After an hour or two at Schloß Beck, we walked over to Movie Park Germany. Don't know what to say about this place other than I didn't really care for it---it was just OK. It was my least favorite park on the entire trip. On the positive side, Ice Age was pretty cool and they did have kokosnuss.

Janna

(next: Phantasialand)
IMG_2523.jpg
The train station near Schloß Beck and Movie Park.
IMG_2522.jpg
The view from the station platform.
IMG_2398.jpg
This way to Schloß Beck!
IMG_2400.jpg
Slug on the pathway. Just like Bakken!
IMG_2402.jpg
Tower for the water slides.
IMG_2405.jpg
Waiting for the park to open.
IMG_2406.jpg
Park map. "Becki" is the park mascot.
IMG_2408.jpg
Cool car.
IMG_2412.jpg
The Schloß.
IMG_2414.jpg
Wish I was small enough for these.
IMG_2416.jpg
These too. There was an age limit. :(
IMG_2417.jpg
I also wanted to try these. I think they were coin operated.
IMG_2418.jpg
Entrance to the "haunted basement" which was very dark and consisted of coin-operated aminatronic displays.
IMG_2419.jpg
Hey, it's N'at Man!
IMG_2424.jpg
From the one of the animatronic displays outside the castle. You push a button and it comes to life, accompanied by music.
IMG_2427.jpg
From one of the animatronic displays inside the castle.
IMG_2428.jpg
Hey, it's Blue Man Group!
IMG_2430.jpg
Hey, it's just like Venice!
IMG_2431.jpg
IMG_2432.jpg
Maximal Träsmak! (obscure Balder t-shirt reference)
IMG_2433.jpg
Scenery. There's water in several places in the park.
IMG_2435.jpg
Familienachterbahn.
IMG_2436.jpg
Familienachterbahn
IMG_2435.jpg
Familienachterbahn.
IMG_2438.jpg
Nautic Jets! These things are loads of fun.
IMG_2447.jpg
You operate them yourself, following these instructions. You do need another person to close the gate and push the button but you pull the string youself to operate the "lift".
IMG_2450.jpg
IMG_2452.jpg
IMG_2456.jpg
IMG_2457.jpg
IMG_2458.jpg
Another Heege self-operated ride, Tower.
IMG_2459.jpg
These slides were awesome...
IMG_2461.jpg
...but this one was the best! Very intimidating from the top, where it looked like a vertical drop.
IMG_2462.jpg
Luna Loop. Also self-operated.
IMG_2464.jpg
IMG_2465.jpg
You can decide which way you want to go--forward or backward--by pushing a button.
IMG_2469.jpg
IMG_2471.jpg
IMG_2472.jpg
I guess donkeys are OK.
IMG_2474.jpg
We left just as the crowds started to appear.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby Chase » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:31 pm

Nice pictures.

Cheers.

Postby J.R. » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:47 pm

Part 4, continued: Movie Park Germany
IMG_2475.jpg
This way to Movie Park Germany.
IMG_2478.jpg
Formerly Warner Brothers Movie World.
IMG_2520.jpg
IMG_2479.jpg
IMG_2481.jpg
IMG_2482.jpg
IMG_2483.jpg
IMG_2484.jpg
Best thing I've seen so far--kokosnuss!
IMG_2485.jpg
IMG_2486.jpg
They may have been American wieners, but the buns were definately not. Not bad though.
IMG_2488.jpg
MP Xpress
IMG_2489.jpg
IMG_2492.jpg
Which came first--this logo or Villian's?
IMG_2495.jpg
IMG_2497.jpg
I was disappointed I didn't get to ride this (but now that I know it won't operate here again, I'm glad I won't have to go back).
IMG_2499.jpg
IMG_2505.jpg
IMG_2511.jpg
Rocket Rider, a Vekoma junior.
IMG_2514.jpg
Mad Manor, a Mack Wild Mouse.
IMG_2515.jpg
IMG_2517.jpg
German Elvis.
IMG_2516.jpg
Best ride in the park, by far.

PreviousNext