Photo TR: Knoebels, DP & El Toro land

Part 3 Kingda Ka & El Toro pics and Video (ET) up
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
All I want is a chainlift!

Photo TR: Knoebels, DP & El Toro land

Postby pkdcoaster » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:45 am

Last Blast of the year and it was a really good time. We got a bad weather report for the weekend but hoped for the best.

We left Richmond at 7am to get to Knoebels at opening (Noon). 2 of us had never been before, so it is always fun to have new people see the park.

Weather said few showers all day but once we steped out of the car it never rained at all and it was even sunny from 2pm on.

Flying Turns is coming long nicely and should be finished in time for next years opening day.
I was very surprised at the crowds considering the weather report. Longest line we waited in all day was Phoenix (30min-1 train-front)
We did both woodies twice and Haunted house and High speed thrill coaster.
we left about 4pm to go to Dorney.

I am gonna have to put this up in parts, I do not have enough time to sort through 352 pics (I pick the best ones) and resize them now but they will be up before the end of the week.

Edit: I just saw were Erin posted her pics =) She took a great picture of Steel Force.
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=29562

JEFF
sepK001.jpg
according to the drawing this is not the lift ???
sepK002.jpg
sepK003.jpg
Twister
sepK004.jpg
sepK005.jpg
Erin's first Twister ride
sepK006.jpg
sepK007.jpg
Twister through the handrail
sepK008.jpg
more Twister
sepK009.jpg
sepK010.jpg
sepK011.jpg
sepK012.jpg
Phoenix is still the star of the park
sepK013.jpg
sepK015.jpg
sepK016.jpg
Not 1 ass left in the seat
sepK018.jpg
I love this ride
sepK019.jpg
sepK020.jpg
sepK021.jpg
sepK022.jpg
Who doesn't love this place?
sepK023.jpg
I love this pic (Power Surge)
sepK024.jpg
chris.jpg
The Flying turns "test track" makes a great hammock
Actual Coaster Count: 402

Fav. Park: Cedar Point
Fav. Steel: Intimidator 305/ Fury 325
Fav. Wood: El Toro/Voyage

part 2: Dorney park

Postby pkdcoaster » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:09 am

We arrived at Dorney Park at about 6pm (park open till 11pm) and it was DEAD. I could not believe that Nothing had any wait except for Steel Force at about 8pm (10min)

This was my first trip to DP since 2001 so Hydra was a new credit to me.

Hydra review (13 rides)- I do not know if it was just cause the trains were never more than half full but there was a ton of vibration on this ride and some uncomfortable jolts in the Cobra roll. I got one ride when the train was about 80% full and it was the best ride of the day, so I hope it runs better with a full train.

I loved the jojo roll, 1st drop and the 2 inversions following it after that it was kind of meh. I think the Cobra roll looks cool but it was just unnatural and had bad jolts in it throughout and the ending was less than stellar. But I did like the fact that it was VERY unique. so points for that.

Talon (5 rides) was kicking ass, I do not understand why people do not like this ride or think it is "forceless" I was feeling a ton of forces in a practically empty train. It felt much more powerful than it did in 2001. A great ride

Steel Force- (6 rides)The first half is better than I remember and the last half was worse due to heavier braking but still a fantastic ride and still seems to be the star at the park.

Lazer- (2 rides)Still a Awesome high G machine.

Thunderhawk was closed =( due to halloween crap, but White water landing was open!!!!!!!!!

Lots of fog in the park made for very cool rides especially on Steel force.

These pics are not the greatest, The Hydra ones are blurry cause my camera was kinda confused due to poor lighting. so sorry

Enjoy, JEFF
sepDP001.jpg
sepDP002.jpg
sepDP003.jpg
sepDP004.jpg
sepDP005.jpg
sepDP006.jpg
sepDP007.jpg
sepDP008.jpg
sepDP009.jpg
sepDP010.jpg
sepDP011.jpg
sepDP012.jpg
sepDP013.jpg
sepDP014.jpg
sepDP015.jpg
sepDP016.jpg
sepDP017.jpg
sepDP018.jpg
sepDP019.jpg

Postby pkdcoaster » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:38 am

Just uploaded my Hydra POV

Hydra front seat POV

Enjoy, JEFF

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby YoshiFan » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:25 am

Nice pictures, I agree about the forces on Talon. Usually after 6 rides on Talon, I have had enough even though I want to keep riding.

I was surprised about the wait on Steel Force that night as well since like you said, the park was dead yet Steel Force's line was down the stairs. I think it's because the entrance is right near the exit to the Fright Zone so a lot of people going through that end up right at Steel Force and decide to ride. I'm hoping the crowds are like that for the rest of the season since I plan to be at the park every weekend until the end of the season.

308, 309, 310 .....

Postby 307 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:35 am

I didn't, though I'm willing to give it a second chance.

Nice pics, especially the Knoebel's ones. Too bad about the blur factor at Dorney!

I really liked Talon, I thought it was very underrated. I think it may have been because my expectations were fairly low, as I had kept hearing about how mediocre the coaster was. It turned out to be a great amount of fun, and by far my favourite at the park. I remember liking Hydra, but not too much. It's probably a solid seven, at best. Dorney is a park with a bunch of rides/coasters that are okay -> good, but not worthy of going out of your way for. However, I do look forward to one day returning - maybe next year with our Maxx Passes!

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby yankees15 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:20 pm

Great photo trip report so far! I really enjoyed the pictures you took. I also feel the same way about Talon. I ride it about every week or two and I have never had a "forceless" ride.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby imbordisux » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:22 pm

307 wrote:

I didn't, though I'm willing to give it a second chance.

We didn't, either, and we're not even willing to give it a second chance.

The Resident Vegetarian Hippie

Postby Hercules » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:28 pm

Knoebels is too hick for me. No offense to any of the hicks out there.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby shesaidboom » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:30 pm

Hercules wrote:Knoebels is too hick for me. No offense to any of the hicks out there.

That's what we thought, too.

But I want to ride Flying Turns! So we will probably go back next year.

Postby pkdcoaster » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:54 pm

Part 3.1 Kingda Ka pics and review

We got into the parking lot at 10:30am and much to my amazement Kingda Ka was running :omg: so needless to say that was gonna be our first ride since it was running. Only running 2 trains (1 side) line was to the end of the first switchback past the fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo and it took a little under an hour. Waiting in line for this thing is like holding a time bomb in your hand. you know it is gonna go down for the day sometime.........but when? Surprisingly it ran all day till storms and rain closed it down at 4pm. We left about 5:30 so I do not know if it re-opened.

I rode TTD in 2003 and thought it was Awesome although short. So I was very interested to see how different these 2 really were.

Me and Erin rode in the Back car, Brakes drop, We launch and not even halfway down the runway and I have had the crap kicked out of me! WE ARE GOING STRAIGHT! The runway seemed to go on forever but the launch was in like 3 seperate pulses, very odd to me.

Brake up top sucked! no Airtime, then you get a karate chop to the neck going through the spiral, then the most pointless hill ever! :roll:

I would have much rather gone through a straightaway at 120mph into brakes.

I do not understand how the ride could be so rough unless SFGA does not take care of the chasis or something. Storm Runner does so much more and it is not this bad.

At least I got to ride it and got the elusive credit.

It is a gorgeous structure though and the whole area was themed Very well.

Oh yeah, aparently it is Illeagal to take pictures of Ka in the rain from the parking lot. I had a security guy Yell at me (dead serious)
The last picture is posted as a big FU :devil:

Here are the pics

Enjoy, JEFF
sepKK001.jpg
sepKK002.jpg
sepKK003.jpg
sepKK004.jpg
sepKK005.jpg
sepKK006.jpg
sepKK007.jpg
sepKK008.jpg
sepKK009.jpg