Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

P. 840: Howl-O-Scream 2019 Opening Night report posted!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby kingdanny » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:32 pm

I honestly don't think Python will be removed.

Donkey eat mullet pump.

New info on Python

Postby Johnny Upsidedown » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:21 pm

Some new info on Python,
http://www.sptimes.com/2006/09/19/Busin ... omed.shtml

Nothing confermed but the article states that BGT has pulled permits for demolishon of the congo area.

HEre is the article.
TAMPA - Is the Python - once touted as a death-defying thrill ride - headed into its last loop?

Busch Gardens Africa officials are not confirming anything. But the Tampa theme park has taken out demolition permits as a prelude to overhauling the Congo, a corner of the 335-acre park that the big yellow and black coaster has anchored for 30 years.

Theme park and coaster fan Web sites brim with speculation quoting anonymous insiders that the curtain will fall on the Python right after the park’s month-long Howl-O-Scream celebration ends in October.

Screamscape.com even posted new park guest maps not yet distributed that show the entire Congo area walled off as a construction zone. BGTguide. com, which follows park ride developments with the some of the zeal of Woodward and Bernstein, thinks a themed kids play area is part of the replacement plan.

Because of the park’s funding cycle, it’s doubtful another major thrill ride will open at Busch Gardens until or 2008 or 2009, the park’s 50th anniversary year.

The Python is one of the first of a once-daring breed of double corkscrew-style steel coasters that flipped riders upside down.

Busch first promoted the ride in 1976 with the tag line “I challenged the Python and lived.’’

Unfortunately, the ad campaign was pulled within weeks of the opening after one rider - a 6-foot-6, 340 pound, 39-year-old heart patient - challenged the Python... and died.

Then, as now, health warnings were posted for people with heart and back troubles.

However, in today’s world of stomach-churning, can-you-top-this coasters, the Python’s two rotations are variously rated by coaster enthusiasts as tame to lame. So reactions posted on fan web sites have been subdued. One poster even said a Starbucks would be an improvement.

The Python, however, does carry sentimental value.

”If the rumors are true, it would be sad to lose this classic that for many holds a special place in our hearts,’’ said Chris Kraftchick, a regional officer with the American Coaster Enthusiasts.

“It was my first looping coaster."

Subsequent generations of rival coasters run much faster than the Python’s 50 miles per hour.

They last three to four times longer than the Python’s 70 seconds, most of which are spent inching up the lift-hill.

Sometimes goosed by linear accelerators, today’s coasters subject riders to more g-forces, 90-degree drops and flight patterns borrowed from barnstorming stunt pilots.

Busch officials have made no secret the Congo is next on their renovation list now that the Serengeti, Timbuktu, Stanleyville, Veldt, the front gate and the parking lots have been upgraded over the past decade.

But they have been vague about what they plan to do there beyond freshen up the jungle theme and build new animal habitats for the park’s white tigers and probably for an orangutan displaced from Stanleyville by the SheiKra dive coaster.

Busch promotes itself as a blend of rides, animals and live entertainment. But the park’s marketing edge for young thrill-seekers relies on having the largest collection of coasters in Florida, a tradition that started with the Python.

Without it, Busch still would have seven coasters counting both of Gwazi’s mirror-image tracks that run in opposing directions.
Johnny Roller Coaster Website with Roller coaster related: events, trip reports and construction photos. http://www.Johnnyupsidedown.com
Manta Construction http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/manta.html

Good to the last drop

Postby ECZenith » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:28 pm

Python just never seemed to belong at BGA once the B&Ms started taking over. I actually like Arrow corkscrews but they just aren't a Busch-quality coaster. I just hope the ride is sent to a park where it would fit in instead of going to a scrap heap. It had a good run...
-Sean C.

FORMER DISNEYLAND ATTRACTION OP

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby neovortex2k » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:05 am

oh ley it come over here and add to our total or 3 rollercoasters!!Any1 any idea how much a 30 year old second hand coaster like that would sell for?!

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby dougstanton » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:19 am

This is off topic from Python, but really quick, I have the option to either go this Friday or Saturday. Saturday, the park is open for 2 more hours, but would more crowds cancel out that time?

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby mr_teisco_delrey » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:29 am

neovortex2k wrote:oh ley it come over here and add to our total or 3 rollercoasters!!Any1 any idea how much a 30 year old second hand coaster like that would sell for?!

Libertyland's sold for 35K.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby fakestar » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:23 am

It was one of my very first credits - I can't say for sure, but it was either the Magic Harbour/Pavillion Corkscrew, a traveling Galaxi, or Python - and even then I thought it was weak. Good riddance!

Scorpion totally pwnz it.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby neovortex2k » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:52 pm

Oh my god, i'd so buy it if only i had the space! it was my second ever inverting credit and first more than one inversion credit! i'll miss it so much next year we i make it back!

He's kind of sad and pathetic

Postby BarryH » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:22 pm

robbalvey wrote:
thefitness wrote:Im still not sure if it will be removed

Is it possible that they just have a bunch of older maps left in stock and they aren't rotating them out?

I got a map last month that showed the Haunted Lighthouse 4-D!

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby kingdanny » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:57 am

I still doubt it will be removed. When Busch confirms it on their website then I will believe that Python is leaving.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!