TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TR Preview Photos: Tokyo Disney Resort, Spaland, and MORE!

kayoss

I'm still on vacation so this one will be brief. I've taken over 1000 photos of TDR, and plan to update my blog with 100 or so of them every night (http://web.mac.com/okwhatev/iWeb/disneysea). Anyhow, I just got back from Nagashima Spaland today, and plan to do FujiQ, Yomuriland, Universal, Parque Espania and more before I'm gone. Steel Dragon 2000 was absoutely awesome, and in general I was *REALLY* impressed with Spaland!!! The place was SPOTLESS, newly repainted, and all coasters were working. More later, but I have to say I had a great time...

No other words... we all know Tokyo Disney Resort is pretty incredible. Here's just some preview photos I took from my trip (which I'm still on). Hope you enjoy!

HPIM3778.jpg.b518a318ba17f6b2cb19bcaa4a9e5a42.jpg

due to the level of beauty distracting you at DisneySea, you could take a dump in your pants and probably not notice. (no, this isn't a reference to ACErs...)

HPIM3714.jpg.31175870ee355fe3717ffee5d2dc4f7c.jpg

Some 'almost Indy' stuff in the TOT line...

HPIM3711.jpg.432486c492e77b8fee521679ebf3a297.jpg

!!!

HPIM3699.jpg.bdd55c84cad3c7382a29cf754ed100f8.jpg

just outstanding

HPIM3671.jpg.e26b3959be642acd226b6fa202c0f229.jpg

amazing detail on TOT

HPIM3642.jpg.f85cd8d3f49e70a1b74adbc6b572a7f3.jpg

wow...

HPIM3607.jpg.d50f45880a390c737f025f9dbcb140b2.jpg

TOT's elevator has seen better days... but not better theming

HPIM3551.jpg.90f6c5c1bc77f5d08c77bf55cc43a67e.jpg

the entrance to my hotel, Disney's MiraCosta...

HPIM3541.jpg.9c66213562c950d835c062eea74ac34b.jpg

OMFG how insane is this park!?

HPIM3497.jpg.b77f8ca2d1e70fc4ac05241ee2f32abd.jpg

by far the most elaborate version of the ride...

HPIM3475.jpg.8aaedf2f5385da67b2f2152f1bb56f80.jpg

mega super-sized Splash Mountain!!!

HPIM3302.jpg.9eba035250b33875ce86e81681cbbc41.jpg

non-crushable castles!

HPIM3196.jpg.e56472aa536d7f3453c91556be36c657.jpg

non-pixar cars!!!

HPIM3193_2.jpg.a50460b4250e568e2dd6e03f869a5818.jpg

I mean.... there's a freakin' volcano!!!

HPIM3152.jpg.6b17be910c21b9d3622002658255bbae.jpg

Unquestionably the most beautifal theme park on earth...

HPIM3136.jpg.27bb6e6e699f7b90f77f05ae486c5303.jpg

Stormrider is (imo) the best Simulator ever, but it still is just a simulator... however the in-building effects (a much more elaborate take on the Armageddon crushing room stuff from Disney Studios Paris) makes it really fun in my book...

HPIM3091.jpg.85bfe3498dfa774f246fb425ebb8011e.jpg

better then the real thing...

HPIM3103.jpg.acd6a8807e0b974e1ddab3a3cb6dc059.jpg

beautifal

HPIM3079.jpg.6cc252f8bcd7f2156eb7153dd26fb2dc.jpg

whales on lithium...

HPIM3072.jpg.7d7a6514ee1d256695b579bf665efc67.jpg

your jaw hurts from constantly hitting the pavement in this place...

HPIM3036.jpg.1cf3f411a18e0cba167e7eb539493488.jpg

!!!

HPIM3031.jpg.66844a20ada92eb33cc0aaa9a504dab0.jpg

Holy crap!!!

HPIM3028.jpg.95c4359ac142a7350cf3d32d8fdd44e9.jpg

I mean...

HPIM3023.jpg.37473ed5fba11da003acfb9c854aa99d.jpg

amazing

HPIM3088.jpg.3319428798c9319e1ac01d3e01eb22b7.jpg

*gasp*

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you're having a good time here in Japan! I find your itinerary order a little odd, but however you make it work!

Agreed, fantastic pictures, but as has been said before, TDS is a beautiful park!

I really wanted to see the area near Spaland, and honestly it's only 3 hours from Shiodome (via bullet train) which travels a route I had never seen before (which was BEAUTIFAL). From now until Friday, I'm checking out the rest of the Tokyo area parks (including hitting DisneySea after 6PM two more times) before heading off to Osaka area for the remaining Nagoya/Oaska area parks through Tuesday (then off to Hawaii)

MUCH more photos soon!

Agreed, fantastic pictures, but as has been said before, TDS is a beautiful park!

Thanks so much! I try, anyhow...

I made a special point to have my TDR photos be of things I've never seen online before. There's a billion photos of the Volcano but like none of some of the (equally) impressive other regions. I think you all will be surprised when I post them...

Being that I took so many photos.... there's only so many I can post here without taking too much of my valuable trip time, which is why I've created a photo blog specifically so I can add 100 or so photos each day for the rest of the month, using the 'click and upload' instant photo page feature built into my MacBook.

For example... I just added over 80 photos of just Arabian Coast (for today's blog) and tomorrow's blog calls for my photo essay of Fortress Explorations. I've shot of 3 hours of video too (including ridethroughs), some of which came out VERY well.... and others that will need attention.

So..... after each photo update here, even more will be available at my blog just to save time during my trip. Thanks everyone for your comments.... and keep 'em coming! (any specific requests should be done NOW since I plan on going back to both Spaland and TDR to reshoot a couple things.

Oh yeah, the address for my photoblog is:

http://web.mac.com/okwhatev/iWeb/disneysea

Per request, my Tower of Terror photos (including the exterior, interior, surrounding area, and fantastic gift shop) are now available to view on my latest blog. There's so many photos there that I had to split the gallerys into two parts!! They both should be up now, so enjoy! Be sure to leave your comments so I know what you all think!

http://web.mac.com/okwhatev/iWeb/disneysea

Over 90 PortoFino, Venice and New York Harbor area photos are now live on my blog javascript:emoticon(':Pr')

This park made me wet in places I've never been wet before.

Anyhow.... the additional DisneySea photos are up at http://web.mac.com/okwhatev/iWeb/disneysea

Spaland, Youramiland and FujiQ photos coming here in a bit....

• 2 weeks later...

Okay.... sorry for the delay. I was traveling and didn't have internet. So, photos coming soon...

But I must quickly say.. FujiQ was every bit the capacity nightmare described on these boards... Yourimuriland was fun and enjoyable but (I feel) somewhat 'overhyped', Spaland *severely* underrated, and all sorts of other things I'll get to when I post some photos.

Great photos of TDL and TDS! I mean, TDS is so beautiful that a blind toddler could take great pictures of it, but your's are seriously nice to look at I was there this time last year and took tons of video footage, which I then lost in a computer crash while transfering data, so looking at your pics has brought back lots of nice memories.

What did you think of White Canyon at Yomiuriland? It's heavily debated. I thought it was a ton of fun and, yes, rough, but fun rough.

Great photos of TDL and TDS! I mean, TDS is so beautiful that a blind toddler could take great pictures of it, but your's are seriously nice to look at I was there this time last year and took tons of video footage, which I then lost in a computer crash while transfering data, so looking at your pics has brought back lots of nice memories.

What did you think of White Canyon at Yomiuriland? It's heavily debated. I thought it was a ton of fun and, yes, rough, but fun rough.

It seriously felt like a coaster made by an American who had some sort of grudge against the Japanese. Seriously... I'm a fan of rough coasters (god knows I'm the biggest supporter of Flashback) but this one is just plain WEIRD in its layout. It has that REALLY odd quick turn to the right after the first hill that is neither fun nor thrilling, JUST painful... and then the coaster just kind of... coasts... Eh...

I rode it 4 times (being no line) in front, the back, the middle.... and my partner didn't ride it more then once. My favorite rides at Yomuriland were probably the seriously weird dark ride (mermaid hookers?!), the excellent haunted walkthrough, the kick-ass go carts (both the drive-around-without-a-guide one and the amazing guided ones [ 2!!! 2 of them!!! ] which features an ELEVATED path), the 'drop version' of the S&S freefall right next to a 'launch' version, and one of the most innocently perverted mini railroads I've ever been on. Oh yeah, and they were running Raptor backwards (which was seriously more fun then riding in the 'forwards' train they also had running, despite there only being around 12 people in the park). And yes, I have video ride-thru of Raptor backwards I promise to Robb it will be a TPR exclusive!

Also, in advance of my true TR, I cannot stress how beautiful, painted, sparkling and maintained SpaLand was. They must’ve SERIOUSLY just dumped some major cash in freshening up the place, because EVERYTHING seemed newly painted, cleaned, and polished. The woodie was absolutely awesome, I FINALLY got to ride a pipeline (KICKASS!), the two (TWO) schwartzcoff coasters ruled, the corkscrew expectedly painful, the Bobcarts unbelievably kick-ass, original, and fun, and Steel Dragon 2000 was an outrageous surprise. It’s absolutely not like any Morgan hyper I’ve ever ridden. It has exceptional, outstanding airtime, no trim brakes, rides a smooth as silk, yet still manages to be incredibly fun. Huge drop and height aside, it would absolutely make it to my top 5 in just how insanely fun this coaster is to ride. I don’t want to overhype it, but I could not believe it was that much fun. I don’t think (since Tatsu opening week) I’ve gotten off a coaster and said “Man that was cool…” and wanted to go again right away. Steel Dragon 2000, at least how they’re running it now, is by far, the best non-4D coaster I’ve ever been on.

Steel Dragon 2000 was an outrageous surprise. It’s absolutely not like any Morgan hyper I’ve ever ridden. It has exceptional, outstanding airtime, no trim brakes, rides a smooth as silk, yet still manages to be incredibly fun. Huge drop and height aside, it would absolutely make it to my top 5 in just how insanely fun this coaster is to ride. I don’t want to overhype it, but I could not believe it was that much fun. I don’t think (since Tatsu opening week) I’ve gotten off a coaster and said “Man that was cool…” and wanted to go again right away. Steel Dragon 2000, at least how they’re running it now, is by far, the best non-4D coaster I’ve ever been on.

Lol you're instantely my new friend

Anybody who was upset at Eisner for letting another non-Disney company have most of the control of a park need to rethink thier opinion. If it wasn't for them a park like DisneySeas would have never come around. It's just very pleasing to me to see the pinnacle of Disney Imagineering actually become a reality. I hope Bob Eiger will allow Disney to build more attractions and themed land as well as any future park with the level of detail that DisneySeas had. While, grant it, I don't think they can do that with every park (like I think going cheap on Hong Kong Disney was a good idea, although they could have put in a little bit more then what they originally did) But for parks like DCA which sits next to an already proven park, they shouldn't skimp out and try and make the lowest budget park you can possibly find.

Your photos are really awsome, like an orgy of beauty.

Oh yeah, and they were running Raptor backwards (which was seriously more fun then riding in the 'forwards' train they also had running, despite there only being around 12 people in the park). And yes, I have video ride-thru of Raptor backwards I promise to Robb it will be a TPR exclusive!

I think you mean BANDIT and not RAPTOR. We were there the day before they started running the backwards train. They had posters announcing it everywhere, and the extra train was already backwards on the transfer track. I can imagine the helix being reeeally nausiating going backwards!

Oh yeah, and they were running Raptor backwards (which was seriously more fun then riding in the 'forwards' train they also had running, despite there only being around 12 people in the park). And yes, I have video ride-thru of Raptor backwards I promise to Robb it will be a TPR exclusive!

I think you mean BANDIT and not RAPTOR. We were there the day before they started running the backwards train. They had posters announcing it everywhere, and the extra train was already backwards on the transfer track. I can imagine the helix being reeeally nausiating going backwards!

Yeah, ooops.... I meant Bandit. Why did I think it was Raptor? Too many coasters this trip Bandit was actually much much better backwards actually. This is a coaster that really benefits being backwards, actually making it a way better coaster. I couldn't believe the difference between the forwards and backwards trains... it was really something!

It hurts me that Hawaii's internet time's-out when I try and upload photos, but I'm going to put 'em up as soon as I get home (Wednesday).

Oh, and in another rant: I waited 2 1/2 hours in line (even though it was posted 90 minutes) to ride Dodonpa at Fuji-Q... only to (and I'm serious) get LITERALLY to the loading station when the ride went down. They gave us front of the line passes IF the ride re-opened. (Which, sadly, it never did.) Worse still, I crossed the park to find that Eejanaika had a 3 1/2 hour line and had been CUT OFF for the day (it was around 1PM). Totally devastated, I (very sadly) begged the ride ops and park manager if I could in any way ride Eejanaika since I had come so far solely to ride Dodonpa and Eejanaika. They apologized, but said it was not possible. So I spent the next 4 hours in the park hoping Dodonpa would open and I could use that front-of-the-line pass I had waited 2 1/2 hours for. Although Fugi-Q IS packed with some seriously weird and entertaining dark rides and what I can only describe as "bizarre in-the-dark-automated-theater-type" attractions, it was seriously depressing walking past the silent Dodanpa and the closed-off-line of Eejanaika for the rest of the day. So... left to an hour before closing (and seeing that the line, which had been cut off, was actually almost finished.... as in TOTALLY not more people then 15 more minutes worth of people in operation) I again... EXTREAMLY kindly and not at all demanding... asked the manager of the park if, because Dodonpa did not open, and because I had waited so long in line for that ride thereby not being able to even GET into the line of Eejanaika, could possibly use those front-of-the-line tickets for Eejanaika... if not to ride with my partner... simply to fill one of the NUMEROUS empty seats that painfully zoomed by train after train after train. Again, a flat no... a hallow apology... and we were shrugged off. I was actually kind of astonished at this. It wasn't as if it wasn't clear what I was asking (between my limited Japanese, and further translation from a smart student who happened to be standing nearby) it's just that they didn't really care at all. It's been my experience as a traveler in Japan, in general, that the folks who run Japan's parks simply bend over BACKWARDS to make sure you have a great time. Earlier, in Tokyo Disneyland, for instance.. the park had actually just closed as I tried to run across three lands to ride Pooh's Hunny Hunt for the 4rd or 5th time that day. The entrance was shut... and I wasn't even expecting anything... but the CM at the entrance said "Oh... would you like to ride again? One moment...." She radioed someone inside the ride, and they OPENED THE RIDE back UP for us! Beyond my excitement to get to ride Pooh's Hunny Hunt COMPLETELY deserted of anyone else... it was something I didn't even ask for, or expect in any way. But it COMPLETELY made the trip... and is by far my fondest memory of Tokyo Disney Resort. They saw that we were obviously visitors who had traveled far and made tiny accommodations to make sure our trip was great… by staying an extra three minutes so we could have one last ride….it was just wonderful. And those little things mean SO MUCH. In fact, as I said before, every single park (with the exception of Universal Studios Japan… which was a CROWDED MESS NIGHTMARE and I’ll get to in another rant….) bent over backwards to make sure we were having a good time. Never once did I feel like I was ‘just some visitor’, but rather a true ‘guest’, and it really made all the parks that much more enjoyable. After being rejected for the second time at Fugi-Q, we sadly went out of the office and back outside to watch about 7 trains dispatch, painfully watching how train after train went by with around 5-6 empty seats per train, all the while in full view of the manager who had rejected our ‘single rider’ request. My partner, who normally doesn’t even have a temper, frustratingly ran off and left me there, heading for the train back to Tokyo. I followed his path, walking slowly.. head turned as I watched another tons-of-empty-seats Eejanaika train zoom by… and as I walked out was greeted by a smile wave and goodbye from the very manager who had denied our little request. This was the first time in Japan I actually felt as if a cruel joke had been played on us. I silently, sadly left the park, ignoring the manager’s little ‘gesture’. This time a smile and wave was simply not cool.. but felt truly insulting. I suppose if Fuji-Q hadn’t been the HIGHEST PRICED park on the trip, hadn’t been an EXTREAMLY long trip, hadn’t had CLOUDS that COVERED the view of Mount Fuji … it probably would’ve been no big deal. But how we were treated, with the inexplicable (for Japan) attitude we got seriously ruined our day. I don’t think I’ll ever return to Fuji-Q again… no matter what they add. It’s not worth it. As I found this trip, there’s much better places to spend your time… where they do actually care that you’re spending it there.

Sorry to hear your story, but I am not shocked at all!

We had a pretty miserable day at Fuji Q as well, and you're right, it just sticks out so much compared to the other Japanese Parks. In fact I believe it was the only park I was 'yelled' at, as once Dodonpa was closed for the day (I had actually gotten on it) I went up the exit to see if the Gift Shop was still open and was yelled at! All I wanted to do was buy something! Oh well, good, I didn't want to give them my money anyways!

Seriously, I think the park looks rundown, and has too many roving gangs of teenagers and careless employees. We'll go back next year, but I'm not expecting much.