TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 119: Test Track closure announced, new concept art released!

I heard some girl's Kimmunicator thing go off in France last week and immediately thought of Guy.

They had some cool golf ball "JJ Credit" of sorts in the UK, especially for the game. I stood there for a half-hour and someone finally came by and made the thing run

Oh, and socal, Soren mentioned you last week

• 4 months later...

No question this was a very sad and tragic thing to happen, but I don't understand why Disney settles on these. Opens themselves up to even more lawsuits now that blood sucking lawyers know Disney will just payoff to avoid bad publicity regardless whether they are actually at fault or not:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-bk-disneydeath012907,0,5872106.story?coll=orl-home-headlines

^^ Ummmmm, no! It is because people simply can not read the huge warning sign in front of the ride. Several million people have ridden Mission: Space with no problems. It probably cost Disney less money to settle than to drag it through the courts for years.

^^ Ummmmm, no! It is because people simply can not read the huge warning sign in front of the ride. Several million people have ridden Mission: Space with no problems. It probably cost Disney less money to settle than to drag it through the courts for years.

And therein lies the problem with the legal system. Settling, is cheaper than defending. It sucks.

Without settlement numbers, it's hard to tell if this was a good economical decision or not. When we take cases to trial, it usually costs around $120-150,000 in defense costs. Nothing to sneeze at. You have to weigh those costs, total damages, defenses, publicity (in Disney's case), and the jury pool for where it was filed. If it's conservative, you may be OK. Liberal, you're likely to get screwed.

CK Media no offense but your statement sounds ridiculous.

The child had an undiagnosed medical condition, and because the parents are pissed off the look at a company like Disney and say "Ca CHING!"

I think its a load of crap. Ride at your own risk. Mission: Space was tested and re-tested after each accident and there was NOTHING wrong with the ride.

If people can't read the signs of risks involved riding that particular ride, then don't ride it.

Katie, happy suing people piss me off, O.

True. I hope the family finally gets closure from this.

Your freaking kidding me... right? Closure? What the hell are you talking about? People die from unknown health conditions all the time. This isn't even Disney's fault. Closure... WTF?!

Whoa, calm down. I had agreed it wasn't Disney's fault but the family obviously didn't think so. It's a tragic situation but one which they have sought some kind of closure (and money). I'm on Disney's side though.

You misunderstand me... I agree! People are more lawsuit-happy these days and there's nothing that will bring that kid back.

I think it's not so much getting the money that brings closure but they might feel Disney accepted some responsibility - still won't bring back the kid but KNOWING THAT might help.

That's what I'm saying.