TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

8/29/06 Mini-Update

Ok folks, I'm back again, and with another update. The pictures were all taken yesterday (8/28), but I'm sure that you'll still get the just of it.

Well, yesterday was yet another day when I had witness the very routine burning of land adjacent to the Santa Clarita Valley. Unfortunately for you guys, the blaze was a good 5 miles away from SFMM.

*sigh*...this is really getting old.

Anyway, while I was out and about grabbing some shots of the fire, I found out that TJ and our friend Julian was at the Mountain, so I thought I'd go hang out for an hour or two. As my camera was already on me, it came quite natural for me to make an update out of it.

Yay! A pretty cool display was set up for Fright Fest. I'm just glad to know that we actually get one! ::)

Ok, so I got in and TJ was up by Tatsu, so I figured I'd take my time...go check out the Orient Express, see how its doing.

Pretty much the whole lower station has almost been completely-painted. This process has only taken about 4 months now. *sigh*

Yea...still not done. And of what is done, it looks like a rather "quick" job. I wonder why its taking so long!

A look into the unit itself. The floor is now missing.

Your going to like this shot, because I looked like a stupid-ass balancing on Revolutions support trying to get it!

I thought I'd never see the day when graffitti would find its way into SFMM.

Ohhhh, yeessss....Whose a dirty little train! You are, BABY!

Then I headed on towards X and Viper. As I expected, I got this...

Yes, X is STILL down. I'm no maintenece worker or mechanical engineer, but problems like this dont just "happen" with proper maintence. Your lift doesn't just blow up like this! You really got to ignore a small problem for quite some time to do this sort of damage! Just like how Goliath's lift blew up earlier this summer!

Well...Shapiro is trying to match Disneyland...perhaps in maintenece too.

Oh dang! For a second there I thought X was on fire!

Onward to Tatsu!

*sigh* C'mon guys! This is getting to be too easy! I mean, at first I was looking out for it, but now...they seem to come to me! At least he was nice enough to semi-look up as a guest asked for a water.

They finally have begun to re-construct the games-awning that faces the Tatsu crew.

Recently I had been getting lots of people ask me about the status of Freefall, a ride mere weeks from reopening. Well, as for the status...

its still weeks from reopening!

The car has slowly made its way further and further up...when it drops, the ride reopens! Its like a long and boring New Years celebration!

The second car has been sitting here for quite some time now. Its even hooked up to be transfered on....but it hasn't been.

There is also a third car, now sitting in pieces behind Batman.

Yay! They put BACK the "Exit Here" sign! You cant deny progress when you see it.

Whats funny, is shouldn't the "Exit Here" sign be facing the other way, facing where people get off the ride and wonder where to exit? For all we know, some stupid guests exiting Riddler's will think to exit INTO Freefall.

And lastly...

Yup folks. Now not only have the local area high schools returned in session, so has College of the Canyons (the local community college)....which means that exect every ride to pretty much be closed now! Good thing the internationals dont leave until the park goes to weekend-only operation, or else they would have three rides open...and one of them isn't X.

Well...there's another quick update. Hope you liked it!

-Jahan

Yes, X is STILL down. I'm no maintenece worker or mechanical engineer, but problems like this dont just "happen" with proper maintence. Your lift doesn't just blow up like this! You really got to ignore a small problem for quite some time to do this sort of damage! Just like how Goliath's lift blew up earlier this summer!

Well even if you have the best maintenance program in place and it is followed by the letter you can still have odd, unexplained, or major mechanical failures. Mechanical things wear out-that's a fact. But proper maintenance and inspection can reduce major breakdowns from happening by repairing a small problem BEFORE it turns into a MAJOR one. I work in maintenance (not in the coaster industry but the maintenance idea is the same) and I see this kind of thing all the time. If you let little things go which at the time may not seem like much or cause the ride to close, they will only get worse until finally something fails and the ride does not work at all. If the time and effort is taken to follow this procedure the likelyhood of a major breakdown is greatly reduced.

I'm not sticking up for anybody just stating the obvious.

I don't think it is a coincidence that two major coasters in the same park that are not really that old both have had their lifts 'blow up' within the same season. When was the last time you've heard of this kind of thing happening.

Coincidence? I think not.

Bad luck? Maybe.

So the update from Sunday:

-X was closed (which sucked)

-Tatsu sucked up all of the guests (as usual)

- Scrambler, Circus Wheel, and Flashback was pretty much all that was closed

- I got denied my Goliath Jr. credit, AGAIN

- We got on 14 out of the 17 coasters (the ones we didn't go on were either not open or we couldn't go on them)

- The left side of Superman is SO much better than the right

- Pennies hurt when you throw them off the top of Superman

- Riddler's Revenge broke while we were on it and they let us ride twice (which absolutly MURDERED my legs)

- There were some people in the station of Flashback, but I couldn't tell what they were doing

That pretty much sums up the day. Oh yeah, Mike, I wondered if you noticed me walking by in Bugs Bunny World.

---Brent

As for the Flashback thing.... who knows what they were doing. Taking more random parts, probably. I won't believe anything's happening until someone actually sees it testing or something. Although I still would like to see it up and running; it's the last credit in the park that I need.

I am not sure where the people were seen in the Flashback queue, but be aware that we are starting themeing in the park for fright fest, and Jokster's Hideout is right there. We are refurbishing many of our mazes now.

I don't think the left side is any better, in fact it launches a lot weaker than the right side!

I think the case is more that it's been nearly impossible to get the left side credit! Over the last 6 years, I've seen the left side open for two, 2 month periods, and that's it.

I am not sure where the people were seen in the Flashback queue, but be aware that we are starting themeing in the park for fright fest, and Jokster's Hideout is right there. We are refurbishing many of our mazes now.

Oh. Yeah, that would explain it.

-Amanda "I'm not in Halloween mode yet, but I need to stop obsessing over Flashback" V.

Flashback was not that great. Honestly, I've ridden it twice and will never ride it again if it is open and has any sort of line. It is pointless. The argument about it being historical is stupid because if Magic Mountain is paved, it will be 2x as sad to see Revvy go (first successful looper vs. only space diver). I doubt very many people would complain if all the SLCs were torn down, and Flashback hurts just as much as any of those I've been on. It looks like fun, but it is violent and mildly painful. It really is not worth it to the park at all to reopen it. Would it be sad to see it torn down? No. It isn't operating, so what's the difference...

So the Chinese Acrobats have let SFMM and are off to...Texas, not SF related. Now in it's place is "Kidz Bop". SFMM is the last stop for the Kidz Bop tour. And frankly, they end on a rather sour note...literaly.

1082072579_IMG_1318copy.jpg.2cbd8366cb4ea0aa1756ad9ff533379b.jpg

Same decorations as always, but better execution.

1130505884_IMG_1317copy.jpg.17f497bb665f47c9b67f9c0a4ccc7966.jpg

Very cool looking display, but night does it justice. Very cool lighting!

1571607074_IMG_1306copy.jpg.16be9d2e0464723b2f7091a0594b81d3.jpg

The Colosus spider will be spinning its web soon, so be sure to watch for the Fright Fest 2006 thread for theming, and mazes pictures soon.

1572203629_IMG_1305copy.jpg.4b2387beeac9bfd3e78d4390d02b2507.jpg

They have a grave digger passing out flyers, promoting fright fest 2006.

IMG_1315.JPG.09347ab7ee4b195b65d0420937927287.JPG

This Hearst can be found at the front of the park by Valencia Falls.

Hearst in need of some TLC.

PIMP MY HEARST...hey, you never know!

318244143_IMG_1314copy.jpg.8b6a8f95a833b288611a10511e217799.jpg

In other news, the park is doing a great job giving park guest an early taste of Fright Fest.

913911886_IMG_1267copy.jpg.493b22ad9dea4a68a49e072cc87a00ce.jpg

before the show, the kids go around and ask the audience which songs they want to hear, even as far as "having them vote". They do the same songs each time.

1417586939_IMG_1263copy.jpg.b15a1abc04521d100ee4d0a529b95dae.jpg

Complete w/ merchandise

482221951_IMG_1264copy.jpg.37eaa0b72bbae7bd0b7b578de86fce50.jpg

Hello to this

1837319647_IMG_0481copy.thumb.jpg.f71d1fbe04ded8f6f8c90532a0367406.jpg

Bye to this

I have a nice rumor for you guys...yes it's one of those 'he said she said" things..but I'm praying to god that it's true. One of my friends went to the park the other day and informed that they were told that Busch Gardens had/will purchase Magic Mountain. Of course he probly heard it from a normal employee but hey, wouldn't it be great if Busch Gardens bought them? I mean...they'd for sure clean up the place and make it a lot nice..let alone better food. haha. Well what do y'all think of this? Think there's any truth behind it?

-IntaminXtreme

Some of those pictures appear to have come from either in, or very near the Golden Bear Sound booth... Not that anybody really cares, just an observation that I made.

Considering that Golden Bear Sound Booth is outdoors, and in High Sierra Territory, you are very mistaken.

If you meant Magic Moment's sound booth, you are also mistaken. There are two landings in that theater, and the booth as i recall is all the way in the back few rows in the center of the theater.

(No heckles and twitch will not be returning.)

I overheard one of my supervisors talking to the Animal Farm supervisor in my office the other day, something about cockroaches. So the story is semi-consistant.

The Full-Time Supervisors usually have a "State of the Park" meeting at the end of the calendar year, but another meeting was also called for this past Wednesday. Not from a full-timer, but i too caught wind of the fact that "big things will be happening in about two-weeks, and an announcement will be made. Take it for what you like.