Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

P. 680 - Pandemonium Announced for 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby martinb » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:26 am

See, these are the reasons that I'm happy to live in the UK, the worst we get is drive by shouting.

-Martyn

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby noyzz » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:13 am

Did they catch the guy yet?
Rollercoaster Nutt 4 LiFe!
www.djvictoramato.com

Postby map2 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:07 pm

BeemerBoy wrote:Hmmm, I guess this is final proof for me that Six Flags will always be "ghetto." Although many (yours truly included) noticed early on in the season (before school got out) that Six Flags had made some notable improvements, I now see that they will never escape true "ghettoness." Try as they will, Shapiro and company have the challenge of a lifetime if they truly believe they can transform all of their remaining properties to more of a "Disney-like" atmosphere.

I applaud their efforts in cleaning the parks up, and trying to eliminate smoking as much as possible. Unfortunately, all of that will ultimately be for naught. The simple truth is that eliminating Mr. Six, throwing in a parade, and creating smoking areas will never rid the parks of the typical clientele that visit from mid June through late August. Does that comment seem harsh? Sure, but admit it........it's true.

Six Flags will remain "ghetto" for many simple reasons. Location, price, and carnival atmosphere. It's no secret that most of the visitors to many of the Six Flags parks aren't about to pack up the family station wagon for a trip to Orlando. Why is that? Well, most of it's obvious, but a lot of it still has to do with the admission being cheap. Internet purchasing and/or a mulititude of local coupon options keeps the price reasonable. Finally, as long as you can pay $5 to spray a stream of water into a clown's mouth to win your trailer trash girlfriend a five foot tall stuffed animal (or a basketball to annoy every other guest in the park with), Six Flags will never truly eliminate the guests Shapiro wishes he could.

Sorry, Mark. Valiant effort, but I've officially given up on your hope to transform a chain into "family friendly." In fact, I feel stupid for believing it may actually have been possible. Oh well. :mickey:

The park itself is not ghetto, its the people who are ghetto who do not care and just trash the place like its their house. I do agree with you on how Six Flags will never be a Disney, but I do not think Sharpio is trying to make it a Disney. He's just trying to clean up the park and make it more "friendlier" so families can go there and spend money, which helps Six Flags' debt problems. If teens spent money as much as families do, then there would not be as much of a problem.

It's sad, however, about this. Everyday on the news here, you always hear about violence. Channel 2, the #1 news station here reports only the negative things, and sometimes something positive (not often though). The news is either about a killing, a rape, a robbery, or some sort of arrest of a person, and then they'll get to the weather.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby swami2302 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:06 pm

I've only been to SFOG and no other SF parks. My thinking was that most SF parks were in or near larger cities with high urban crime. Disney or Universal Orlando attract tourist from all over the world. These people go to Disney for a vacation. Urban teens go to a Six Flags to hang out. Dollywood, Holiday World and other smaller parks are in smaller rural areas but agaain are visited mostly by tourist and not the urban street thugs. I'm not sure about the Paramount parks. I've been to Carowinds and PKI and didn't notice a thug problem like SFOG. At my home park, Lake Winnie, anyone under 21 isn't allowed in the park without an adult. I think that is a little extreme, but a few years ago a huge fight broke out in the park. I haven't heard of any major problems since the new policy has been put in place. Maybe Six Flags should consider doing something similar at the troubled parks. It might turn away potential patrons, but it could also increase attendance by families who might no longer be afraid they will be shot.

That Conceited Jerk

Postby Calaway Park » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:02 am

I've never heard of something like this happening at a Canadian park... infact... the Canadian parks that I've been too were very peaceful with great employees. Then again, I've never been too PCW (been told it sucks) or La Ronde. I adore fairs here, and I don't see the "carnie" atmosphere that I've been told by many, that US fairs have, so I don't see "carnival atmosphere" as a very fitting statement. Infact... most of our carnies are funny ::) .

Ok, I highly doubt the Mindbender accident was even remotely peaceful but thats like a once in a lifetime happening, and quite a bit different than a drive-by shooting.

Has a Canadian park ever had a shooting or voilent activity worthy of recognition happen?

I feel very bad for what happened though. I find it strange that people use the fact that human life is perishable to their advantage. Death is inevitable. It will happen no matter what is done to prevent it. Why shorten the experience?

Sorry, Not Feeling Very Creative Today!

Man dies after being unconcious on SFOG Goliath

Postby FlyingScooter » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:47 am

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/9591267/detail.html

My sympathies to those involved.

I saw, went and conquered Steel Dragon 2000. It's still crap!

Postby wrebbit » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:53 am

Oh please change the topic-title, the word 'ides' isn't really correct.
That news is sad, it seems that all we hear is news of people dying on coasters. Really sad
:evil: Incurring the wraith of the title fairy :evil:

Postby coasterman7 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:53 am

That's horrible! I saw it on 11 Alive news eariler today. Can't believe it happened!

Sorry, Not Feeling Very Creative Today!

Postby FlyingScooter » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:55 am

wrebbit: corrected it. :)

someone i work with was saying: beware the ides of march, and i whoooooopsed.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Screamomatic » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:57 am

Why does it seem like every other day someone is dieing on a coaster? :(

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!