Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT BGA Discussion Thread)

P. 807: Tigris track installation now complete!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkey eat mullet pump.

NEWS:Man dies after riding a roller coaster at Busch Gardens

Postby Johnny Upsidedown » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:16 pm

http://www.tampabays10.com/news/local/a ... ryid=36085
Tampa, Florida - Investigators are looking into the death of a 52-year-old man who died yesterday after riding a roller coaster at Busch Gardens.

Thomas Welch apparently said he didn't feel well after riding Gwazi yesterday.

Emergency crews at the park gave him CPR but we awere told he later died at University Community Hospital.

We are following this developing story and we will have the latest tonight at 11 PM.

Here's some information we found on the RCDB.

Roller Coaster: Gwazi

Amusement Park: Busch Gardens Africa (Tampa, Florida 33612 USA)

Type: Wood

Builder: Great Coasters International

Cost: $10,000,000 USD

Capacity: 2880 riders per hour Track: Lion / YellowTiger / Blue

Length: 3400'3400'
Johnny Roller Coaster Website with Roller coaster related: events, trip reports and construction photos. http://www.Johnnyupsidedown.com
Manta Construction http://www.johnnyupsidedown.com/manta.html

Desperate Housewife Who Wants to Live in THIS Castle!

Postby disneygurlz2s » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:23 pm

Interestingly enough, there is nothing on the national media (CNN, MSNBC) headlines yet about this.... I guess because it didn't happen at a Disney park! :devil:

Shari "refer to my earlier post about the boy at the fair" Shoufler

Postby Wes » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:31 pm

I guarantee you it shook some vital organ out of his body. I'm surprised I made it off that ride with all my organs intact.

Donkey eat mullet pump.

Postby Johnny Upsidedown » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:41 pm

Looks like the above news link also added the statement below to the news story. I will have to watch the news tonight and see if they have anything in the news.

Busch gardens released a "Media Statement" stateing:
Busch Gardens is saddened that park guest Thomas Welch of Palm Harbor died after suffering an apparent heart attack while visiting the park on Monday, July 24. We extend our deepest sympathy to the Welch family.

Mr. Welch asked park attendants for assistance after exiting the Gwazi roller coaster. He was responsive when First Aid arrived two minutes later, but subsequently required CPR, which was initiated immediately. First Aid also applied an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) to monitor Mr. Welch's heart activity

THE BOY

Postby Ed » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:45 pm

Well I think Busch did all they could here.

I reckon it's either an unknown condition, or he just had a bad heart and it was coming to him. As sad as that sounds..

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Cerberus » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:48 pm

Quick, call the press! They will seek and publish the truth! :roll:

"Yesterday a young, healthy man was left battling for his life only to loose it moment later after riding the Gwazi coaster at Busch Gardens water park. There are no details as of yet but if you ask us, we believe the problem was due to park management and the ride. A problem that could easily be solved with a lawsuit and removal of the attraction.
Eye witness Kate Harret had this to say: "I was driving past the park on a nearby road with no intention of visiting when I heard the man die. That could have been me or one of my young children!"
Gwazi is the world's longest wooden rollercoaster which races around a flimsy track at speeds of over 107.93mph through seven hair raising inversions whilst skimming past ancient Egyptian ruins.
Just the other day a nearby park in England had a very similar accident where a mine train rollercoaster killed eight riders. We remind readers that roller coasters eat children"

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby jmccalip » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:57 pm

Dang, not another accident. :shockr:

Ruler of all Intamin rides

Postby MSLSM » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:09 pm

Cerberus wrote:Quick, call the press! They will seek and publish the truth! :roll:

"Yesterday a young, healthy man was left battling for his life only to loose it moment later after riding the Gwazi coaster at Busch Gardens water park. There are no details as of yet but if you ask us, we believe the problem was due to park management and the ride. A problem that could easily be solved with a lawsuit and removal of the attraction.
Eye witness Kate Harret had this to say: "I was driving past the park on a nearby road with no intention of visiting when I heard the man die. That could have been me or one of my young children!"
Gwazi is the world's longest wooden rollercoaster which races around a flimsy track at speeds of over 107.93mph through seven hair raising inversions whilst skimming past ancient Egyptian ruins.
Just the other day a nearby park in England had a very similar accident where a mine train rollercoaster killed eight riders. We remind readers that roller coasters eat children"

hmmm...let's see the flaws:

Gwazi is the worlds longest wooden coaster-no
Gwazi is the fastest wooden coaster-no
Gwazi is egyptian themed-no
Wooden coaster track is flimsy-no
Gwazi has 7 inversions-no

...but you got to love the media and the lawyers that will back them up. :lmao:

Once again, the man probably had a medical condition(which the family will dispute), and the family will blame the park.
2006 Season:
7 Parks/11 Visits
24 Coasters/102 Rides

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby Corkscrewed » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:17 pm

I think you totally missed the fact that he was satirizing the typical news media articles about these things.

Anyway, sucks for this man, but if he had a heart attack, then it's possible he knew about a pre-existing condition. If not, even more tragic. But it happens.

Either that or Wes is right, and the coaster rattled his heart out of its arteries...

I'm the gyro!

Postby DerekRx » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:48 pm

Usually people die from boredom while waiting for that coaster to dispatch after its 17 safety checks...

Since it was a heart attack, it was probably an unknown condition (or the weak beer at the hospitality house sent him into arrest). Sucks that he died, but he could have had the attack anywhere, just as my dad did while driving 21 years ago.
All clear....

Dispatch, enjoy your ride.

Derek

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!