Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 269 - Epcot is getting a makeover!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Bubbles!

Postby ParkTrips » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:56 pm

^^ Thanks Matt, and the only reason I think money may have to do with it is because I'd imagine government buildings and schoels etc probably either 1. don't actually pay for them, or 2. get them at a subsidized price

^ If teachers, office assistants and athletic coaches can be certified, no reason ride ops, food service etc couldn't be trained. Also, I think these things are automated (hence the A!) so the manufacturer of the device would be more to blame. I think they also have laws covering this as well, as the operator cannot be held responsible.

Also, the training is something that can be tacked onto basic first response training.. not much unlike CPR.

However, the CM not being allowed to touch guests policy makes sense, if its actually in place. (well, makes sense in being a prohibitive regulation, only)

edit - d'oh, I got beat on the one point... the rest still stands

Beer Man

Postby mcjaco » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:56 pm

^ That's precisely my argument. The good samaritan defense is a total crock. They'd be protected under Disney's Liability policy (which I believe they're self insured) but, plaintiff counsel would argue that they were a cause in the death, AED or not. It's a trickbag as we call it, in the insurance biz.

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby methylene » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:04 pm

ParkTrips wrote:Also, the training is something that can be tacked onto basic first response training.. not much unlike CPR.

Actually, the American Heart Association Basic Life Support is exactly that: CPR+AED usage. It's required for teachers here in Texas (my wife's a teacher).

mcjaco wrote:^ That's precisely my argument. The good samaritan defense is a total crock. They'd be protected under Disney's Liability policy (which I believe they're self insured) but, plaintiff counsel would argue that they were a cause in the death, AED or not. It's a trickbag as we call it, in the insurance biz.

And any competent judge would throw out the case: Doing something possibly beneficial ALWAYS outweighs doing nothing but calling 911 and standing there waiting.

Some states actually have laws compelling you to take action if you think you're reasonable able (Seinfield finale, anyone?).

Disney would be in far better of a legal situation if it was shown they did as much as possible to help the patient. The statistics for early defibrillation speak for themselves.
There is a statistically significant inverse relationship between pirates and global temperature.

Beer Man

Postby mcjaco » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:09 pm

And any competent judge would throw out the case:

And there's your first hurdle.....

Sorry, I'm cynical. I handle liability claims for major airports (we handle 56% of the US market). I see and handle way too many frivilous lawsuits and claims on a daily basis. It's really quite sickening what the US population thinks they're entitled too. :cry:

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby methylene » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:11 pm

mcjaco wrote:
And any competent judge would throw out the case:

And there's your first hurdle.....

Sorry, I'm cynical. I handle liability claims for major airports (we handle 56% of the US market). I see and handle way too many frivilous lawsuits and claims on a daily basis. It's really quite sickening what the US population thinks they're entitled too. :cry:

You don't even want to speak to me about entitlement. I work in an ER. :p

Matt
There is a statistically significant inverse relationship between pirates and global temperature.

Frutilicious!

Lady Collapses after riding Mission Space

Postby KrakenKing » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:32 pm

Woman Collapsed After Mission: Space Ride

POSTED: 10:51 pm EDT July 10, 2006
UPDATED: 11:03 pm EDT July 10, 2006

WALT DISNEY WORLD, Fla. -- Monday night, Channel 9 Eyewitness News learned a 35-year-old woman collapsed at the Mission: Space ride at Epcot Center.

A spokesperson with the Reedy Creek Fire Department said the woman was talking to another person in the post-show area of the ride, when she suddenly fell over and hit her head.

Rescue personnel said she was bleeding and complained of numbness in parts of her body. A medical helicopter took her to Orlando Regional Medical Center as a precaution.

A Walt Disney World spokeswoman said the patient was conscious when she was loaded onto the helicopter.

It’s not the first time a guest became sick on the powerful ride, which simulates the launch of a space shuttle and subjects riders to strong G-Forces.

In April 2006, Hiltrud Blemel, a tourist from Germany, died after the ride. 4-year-old Daudi Bamuwamyae died in June 2005. Medical examiners determined they died of natural causes, involving pre-existing conditions.

In May 2006, Walt Disney World unveiled a newer, tamer version of the ride, for people with heart conditions, inner ear problems, or other health issues.

A Walt Disney spokeswoman did not have the 35-year-old woman’s name and could not confirm which version of the ride the patient experienced. As of Monday night, there was also no official word on whether the woman’s collapse was a direct result of the Mission: Space ride.

Wow, what a slow news day... I think people should all go to their doctors and get checkups before going to theme parks.

I can see it now... another lawsuit
Signature.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby obeygiant » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:36 pm

I didn't hear anything on the news...How many people have been hurt from Mission: Space now? ... Hope she's okay though...

Live from The Boondocks

Postby rjholla2003 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:57 pm

First things first: KrakenKing, that is the best signature ever. I never laughed so hard before.

Well, at least she didn't die. Last thing Disney needs is another death.
Everybody sound the same, commercialize the game
Reminiscin' when it wasn't all business
It forgot where it started
So we all gather here for the dearly departed
-Nas

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Xtreeme79 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:08 pm

Ok I have to second what RJ said. Kraken King...you have the most awesome signature EVER! I see it and I can't help but feel bad that I can't stop laughing. Poor guy.

And about what happened; all I can say is that I hope nobody else gets a "possible Mission: Space related injury" before August. I have been waiting to ride that ride forever. Grrrr.

Nick C

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby JT3000 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:45 am

obeygiant wrote:I didn't hear anything on the news...How many people have been hurt from Mission: Space now? ... Hope she's okay though...

It's impossible to know the number of ride related incidents because most of them aren't reported. Only the deaths. As already mentioned, it must have been a slow news day for them to report this.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!