Photo TR: shesaidboom and 307 do a bunch of parks

Now up: Idlewild, Lakemont, Del Grosso's; page five.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby shesaidboom » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:43 pm

^You giving your Misery Signals shirt to me is excellent.

Postby shesaidboom » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:13 pm

shesaidboom and 307 do the parks that are kinda the mid-west but some are more easterly but I guess a few can be considered mid-west but maybe "central" is a better term for them - PART SEVEN OF THIS IS THE LAST ONE

So this turned out to be our final day of riding coasters, even though it wasn't supposed to be. We had originally planned on going to Idlewild for the first half of the day, and hauling A$$ to Lakemont Park for the second half. Little did we know the trailer trash horrors that would await us in Altoona. We were able to fit in DelGrosso's with time to spare and concentrate solely on heading home the next day.

Idlewild was weird, in that the front half of the park was jampacked full, but the back half was almost completely empty. Fortunately, Rollo Coaster and Wild Mouse were in that back half, and even though Wild Mouse had big lines [I mean a serious wait here, people, due mainly to - well, you'll find out in a bit], we still managed to ride it three times.

Lakemont Park - oh boy. That place was, wow. We have nothing against restoring old rides or keeping old coasters up and running, but to be quite blunt, this place needs to go away. The operations were terrible, there was almost no attention to safety, and there were NO PEOPLE. You'll find out more about this shoddy park later. One thing I did find amusing was the location of it - right past the outfield wall of the Altoona Curve AA baseball stadium. GO CURVE!

DelGrosso's park was kind of like a carnival grounds. No theming or anything. It was nice enough, and there were a lot of people there, though no one seemed to be going on any rides. We managed to get both credits plus a few flats done in under an hour, so it fit nicely into the 6PM -> 7PM block, aka: The Hour Before the Stanley Cup Finals Game Three came on.

Now, for the final installment of PICTUREZZZZZZZZZZ
483rollocoaster.jpg
This was the extent of the pictures you could take of Rollo Coaster.
492alifthillidonthavetomakecrooked.jpg
Nikki doesn't have turn her camera sideways to get a crooked picture of this lift hill.
491.jpg
Two mice for the price of one.
495legs.jpg
Idlewild doesn't have to hire employees, their shops give birth to them.
497.jpg
Caterpillar, aka the molest your friends ride.
496.jpg
We enjoyed very much ;) [PS we're gross]
502.jpg
Wild Mouse was an amusing ride with two crazy spots of air.
520.jpg
It wasn't the greatest ride ever, but we enjoyed.
521.jpg
We took like 300 pictures of this coaster. This was one of them.
525.jpg
Large mess of track. Lots of head-choppy goodness.
528.jpg
We thought it was more 'through the trees' than it actually was.
524.jpg
Here Wild Mouse undergoes one of its scheduled hourly maintenance checks. This caused a lot of pissed off park goers.
509.jpg
Howler was one of the best flat rides on the trip. You sit in these funny circles and make yourself spin. A shout out to the kids who thought the cars spun automatically.
510choochoo.jpg
CHOO-CHOO! "Watching this fat broad attempt to get out of the train was a lot more fun than riding," says Jer.
515.jpg
Nikki enjoyed the hand-pedal cars, Jer was too scared to ride.
530fudgery.jpg
This kid enjoys Fanny's Fudgery.
482idlewildsign.jpg
It took us until the second last day of the trip, but we finally found 'y'all' written in a public setting.
555.jpg
Leap the Dips is apparently the oldest running coaster in the United States. It's too bad it's stuck at such a dump.
554.jpg
The park was empty and if the lack of people wasn't a tell tale sign, the fact that it took us half an hour to find someone to ride Leap the Dips with us proved it.
553.jpg
Are these cars ever used?
551.jpg
I had been dreading riding the Toboggan since we had planned the trip. At least I didn't smash my head like Jer.
545.jpg
Skyliner was surprisingly smooth considering the age of it. Outside of the pop of air coming off the lift, it wasn't really a great ride.
534.jpg
The strategic location outside of a baseball stadium made cross promotion inevitable as you can see here.
535.jpg
GO CURVE!
538.jpg
Nikki's back to the crooked lift hill pictures.
541.jpg
If there were ever a long enough home run it could conceivably ping a coaster rider in the head.
537.jpg
They wouldn't run the train without at least four people riding, despite Jer's best efforts.
552.jpg
We couldn't get any pictures with the car in them since nobody was riding.
557.jpg
We finally coerced people into riding with us so in celebration we took this "exclusive" onride photo.
558.jpg
You can really feel the train leaving the tracks, and let me tell you, it's not the greatest feeling in the world.
564delgrossos.jpg
We are at Del Grosso's, home of yummy pasta sauce.
570.jpg
Oh yeah, it also has credits.
562wackyworm.jpg
This worm seems happy enough...
563pissedoffelephant.jpg
...but you better watch out for the elephant!
572Lenoresauce.jpg
Rodents + pasta = happy ending. Thanks for reading y'all!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

I love pickles. No more comments neccesary.

Postby USRoadTripper » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:43 am

What??? No Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood Trolley ride??? TELL ME you rode that!!!
Great TR otherwise! ;-)

-Julie
Current coaster count : 223
waterviper [1:08am]: jahan i know you 17 and all but I think your one great piece of A$$
arrowfanman [1:36am]: Good...now we have the trifecta of ass-wanting!

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby MollyG » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:56 pm

Great TR Nikki and Jer! Very enjoyable. :lmao:

MollyG

Non-German Tom

Postby Shockwave » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:09 pm

Great report N&J! ::D

I'll be sure to ask your opinion and everyone else who knows the parks well for tips for next year.

Postby shesaidboom » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:15 pm

Thanks for all the comments and feedback, we're glad our TR was enjoyed by some :)

UsRoadTripper wrote:What??? No Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood Trolley ride??? TELL ME you rode that!!!

Too scary!

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:28 pm

I only have one thing to say....

OMG CHOLESTEROL!

:lmao: :lolr: :br

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby imbordisux » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:04 pm

Hey guys,

Didn't want to seem rude by not responding to your post - we've been having a ton of net-related problems, so we really weren't able to respond.

Anyway, really nice meeting you two - I had no idea we had been waiting for TWO HOURS for The Raven to reopen, time flies when you're having fun.

Great TR, and great photos - I myself am a pretty bad photographer, I try to make everything look nice and artsy, but when we get our photos back, they're always kinda bland. I'm jealous.

Take care,
- Stu

Previous

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive