WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

P. 177: Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge officially opens on 8/29/19
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I taste better with A1

Postby TheStig » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:57 am

Yeah just saw this one Fox News. How sad, but hey its a Vekoma! Heres a better link www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/orl-bk-disney06292006,1,7580469.story?coll=chi-news-hed

Colin C

All your coasters are belong to us

Postby IwantRevenge » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:00 pm

^ that one says the exact same thing.

What a shame. On such a great ride too. it said this is the seventh person to die on a disney ride since December of 2004, doesnt seem like there doing to good.

But what i want to know is HOW he died, thats the nonly thing it didnt say.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby dadofgage » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:10 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/29/coaste ... index.html

Boy, 12, dies after Disney coaster ride
Thursday, June 29, 2006; Posted: 5:07 p.m. EDT (21:07 GMT)
A boy was pronounced dead Thursday after a roller coaster ride at Disney-MGM in Orlando, Florida.
Image:

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- A 12-year-old boy was pronounced dead after he rode a roller coaster at Disney-MGM Studios in Orlando, Florida, on Thursday, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

Michael Russell, of Fort Campbell, Kentucky, was riding the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster ride with his mom, dad and 7-year-old brother, Sgt. Carlos Torres said. After the ride stopped, Russell and his family were stepping out of the roller coaster car when he collapsed, Torres said.

Russell's father began administering CPR and was later aided by a Disney assistant, but the boy was not responsive. Russell was then transported by ambulance to Celebration Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Officials will perform an autopsy, and results could be released as early as Friday. (Watch the details of what happened after the roller coaster stopped -- 2:39)

The incident happened at about 11:30 a.m.

A Disney representative was with the family Thursday afternoon and Disney officials were offering the boy's family their "deepest sympathies," according to a statement.

Disney shut down the ride and a state inspector arrived to observe the Disney investigation. The Orange County Sheriff's Office is conducting an investigation as well.

Disney boasts of the ride on its Web site, "Zoom from 0 to 60 mph with the force of a supersonic F-14, take in high-speed loops and turns synchronized to a specially recorded Aerosmith soundtrack and zip through Tinseltown in the biggest, loudest limo you've ever seen."

It adds: "The 3,400-foot-long track is more than a half mile of sudden accelerations, dips, loops and twists and turns."

Children shorter than 4 feet are not permitted on the ride, according to the Web site.

The last death at a Disney resort was April 12, when 49-year-old Hiltrud Bluemel of Germany suffered a stroke linked to her high blood pressure after riding "Mission: Space" at the Epcot Center in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.

Five months before that, a 4-year-old boy died from an unknown heart condition on the same ride.
Last edited by larrygator on Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:41 pm.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby peteb » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:10 pm

Between 4 and 5 g's on this ride? Is this right? Seems a bit high for a Disney ride. I've never been on RnR, can anyone confirm the G forces.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby ktglads » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:11 pm

If there was a ride accident with the trains or restraints, that would have been published as well like it was with Big Thunder in Disneyland. I think it is safe to say it was most likely a health-related issue like a heart attack or the likes

Also, is it definite that he was 12? I have seen 7 as an age in a few locations as well. That's a pretty big difference in age and rider size there

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby martinb » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:14 pm

News article wrote:The ride climbs to 85 feet and goes by Hollywood landmarks on its way through five inversions

Five inversions?

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:16 pm

peteb wrote:Between 4 and 5 g's on this ride? Is this right? Seems a bit high for a Disney ride. I've never been on RnR, can anyone confirm the G forces.

That could be right. But along with every other launched coaster in existence, it's only a brief period of force...not sustained.
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby imdrunk » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:17 pm

WTF is up with Disney and their streak of horrible luck (for lack of a better word)? I'm sure the safety alarmists will climb out of the woodworks and the government will want to limit future coasters and other rides.

No one knows yet if this kid had some type of pre-existing condition like heart problems? Isn't that what a few of the others had when they were on Mission: Space?

What are they going to do now? Is there going to be a RnR-lite version now? This is ridiculous. Perhaps a physician at each queue line is needed.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby martinb » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:18 pm

The G's are quite high when you go up into the half loop at the end of the launch track.

-Martyn

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby methylene » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:19 pm

martinb wrote:
News article wrote:The ride climbs to 85 feet and goes by Hollywood landmarks on its way through five inversions

Five inversions?

It's a vekoma. When it valleys, and it will, you have the chance to pick up to two more inversions going backwards. :D

Otherwise, a sad incident and no doubt will not bode well for Disney.

Matt
There is a statistically significant inverse relationship between pirates and global temperature.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!