Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 269 - Epcot is getting a makeover!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby abatefish » Thu May 04, 2006 12:21 am

I think it is a good idea that Disney has now given people the option, but the problem is what if you do not know you have a pre exsisting condition it will not prevent those people from getting sick or dying! It only helps those people who no they have a problem and want to enjoy the ride. I myself have never been on it but I assume I would ride it. What Gs does rides such as Golith at MM and DE JAVU at MM pull, Compared to Mission Space? :mickey:

Banned

Postby maliboomer » Thu May 04, 2006 1:06 am

^ While Mission: SPACE and Goliath etc. all have G-Forces, the roller coasters' last sometimes split-seconds while M:S's are sustained for up to a minute. They are lower, but longer.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Kumba9 » Thu May 04, 2006 10:14 pm

Here comes another media blitz again. Those of you that posted comments on another thread that Rob started regarding the media will surely agree.
I have read a posting (I will research the source and post a link) that the family of the victim is suing Disney for roughly $2 million. Seems like another lawyers dream to get into the action of **#)@)@))@ lawsuits which will, in turn, raise insurance costs for the park (again) and oh "how are we going to increase our bottom line (fiscal reports P&L)?"

Ahhh lets just charge our guests more entry fees.

Coasters, Sex, and Rock & Roll

Postby shepp » Thu May 04, 2006 10:27 pm

abatefish wrote: What Gs does rides such as Golith at MM and DE JAVU at MM pull, Compared to Mission Space? :mickey:

I, for one, found the Gs on M:S to be at least as intense than Goliath's infamous helix, and in a way more grueling. For one thing, the Gs on Goliath are kind of aimed downwardish toward your seat and feet, whereas the M:S forces hit you square in your torso. Goliath's helix Gs force blood from your brain (hello, gray-out!) while M:S knocks the wind out of you. It's like Gary Sinise is sitting on your chest. (Hmmm, on second thought, that might feel kinda nice...)

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby Astat » Fri May 05, 2006 8:13 pm

"New for 2006! Mission Space: Choose Your Own Death...err...Experience!"

^I'm sure some media outlet that blows everything out of proportion will come up with some nifty slogan like that in the next couple days.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Disney gets sued over Mission: Space death

Postby verticalzero » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:14 am

Walt Disney World has been sued for wrongful death by the family of a four-year-old boy who died a year ago after riding the theme park's Mission:SPACE thrill ride.

The family's lawyer, Robert Samartin, said on Wednesday."The forces employed on the ride are dangerous. We think inviting four-year-olds on the ride is dangerous in itself," Samartin said. Daudi Bamuwamye of Pennsylvania was visiting the Walt Disney Co.-owned (DIS.N: Quote, Profile, Research) park near Orlando, Florida, with his family in June of 2005 when he fell unconscious while riding the rocket simulator ride with his mother.

An autopsy by the Orange County medical examiner found that Bamuwamye suffered a cardiac arrhythmia due to an undiagnosed heart defect that placed him at risk for sudden death under stress. Samartin said the lawsuit also accuses Disney of negligence in the child's death.

He said Disney advertises itself as a leader in deployment of portable defibrillators to save people from heart arrhythmia, but failed to keep a defibrillator near Mission:SPACE, arguably the theme park's most intense ride.

Disney denied the allegations in the lawsuit, which was filed on Monday in Florida state court in Orange County."Daudi's death was a terrible loss to his loved ones and we sympathize with them.

However, we disagree with the assertions in the lawsuit," said Kim Prunty, a Disney spokeswoman. Prior to Bamuwamye's death, according to Samartin, the local Reedy Creek Fire Department paramedics had responded to 135 to 140 calls to assist Mission:SPACE riders and sent eight riders to the emergency room.

Beer Man

Postby mcjaco » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:35 am

Ah, the legal system at it's finest. Look to the deep pockets, money will solve all your heartache....

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Re: Disney gets sued over Mission: Space death

Postby BeemerBoy » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:42 am

verticalzero wrote:Prior to Bamuwamye's death, according to Samartin, the local Reedy Creek Fire Department paramedics had responded to 135 to 140 calls to assist Mission:SPACE riders and sent eight riders to the emergency room.

Say what you will about the ride, as many of us did in an older thread on this subject, but without knowing the validity of those numbers, I'd guess that's still INCREDIBLY high for any ride. Ride ops of the world, help me out on this one. In a regular operating season, how many times are the paramedics called to your ride? If those numbers are even somewhat legit, I'd say a lawsuit is justified. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. :?r
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

All your coasters are belong to us

Postby IwantRevenge » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:10 am

This is rediculos. Why is disney getting blamed for these peoples stupidity.

First. Who would bring a 4 year old on mission space! this really pisses me off, It was being advertised as there most intense ride ever, so WHY bring a 4 year old on it!

Second. The person wtih heart problems. How many times do they warn you not to ride if you have heart problems, have cloaustrophobia, don't like spinning, have heart problems.

It's just stupidity to ignore the warnings.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby BorisTF » Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:21 am

IwantRevenge wrote:Second. The person wtih heart problems. How many times do they warn you not to ride if you have heart problems, have cloaustrophobia, don't like spinning, have heart problems.
You go on about stupidity, yet miss the fact he had an undiagnosed heart problem...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!