Photo TR: shesaidboom and 307 do a bunch of parks

Now up: Idlewild, Lakemont, Del Grosso's; page five.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Photo TR: shesaidboom and 307 do a bunch of parks

Postby shesaidboom » Sat Jun 17, 2006 5:33 pm

shesaidboom and 307 do the parks that are kinda the mid-west but some are more easterly but I guess a few can be considered mid-west but maybe "central" is a better term for them - PART ONE of EIGHTY SIX

Here's the itinerary! Click any underlined text to head to that trip report!

Tue May 30: Driving from Vaughan, ON to Gurnee, IL
Wed May 31: Six Flags Great America
Thu Jun 01: Six Flags Great America
Fri Jun 02: Mt. Olympus + Riverview Hole in the Ground
Sat Jun 03: Timber Falls Adventure Park
Sun Jun 04: Driving from Wisconsin Dells to Monticello, IN
Mon Jun 05: Indiana Beach
Tue Jun 06: 666 @ Holiday World!
[url=http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=203194#203194]Wed Jun 07: Six Six Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom
Thu Jun 08: Paramount King's Island[/url]
Fri Jun 09: Kennywood
Sat Jun 10: Idlewild + Lakemont + DelGrosso's
Sun Jun 11: Driving from Altoona, PA to Vaughan, ON

Be prepared for:
a] hilarity
b] annoyance
c] more hilarity
d] the best trip report you've ever read
e] possibly also the longest
f] it's totally worth it though so bare with us
g] string

[Oh, and for those wondering (which I know is all of you), 307 is doing the trip report part and shesaidboom is doing most of the pictures/captions.]

Okay so on May 30 we embarked on a nearly two-week long EPIC coaster riding tour. I say epic because it's a cool word. Despite the fact that we had nothing planned but driving on the first day, we were still up and atom by 5'30"AM.

Unfortunately, we were being hunted. Not by a sniper, stalker, wild boar, or a velociraptor disguised as Ted Nugent, no. We were being hunted by Mother Nature. That vile wench had sent clouds full of the evil Jesus Rain(tm) to intercept us, the unsuspecting Canadians only looking to have a good time and possibly cause some sort of ruckus.

So about half-way there, it began. Rainclouds to the left of me, rainclouds to the right of me. The pelting beads of wet death hammering the windshield and causing us both to throw our hands in the air, screaming into the heavens "WHYYYYYY".

But anyway, there really was a lot of rain and it was really annoying. MapQuest predicted the trip would take about nine hours. Eleven and a half hours later, we FINALLY checked in to the Red Carpet Inn in North Chicago. Nikki [aka the loverly shesaidboom] pipes in with a hearty "CHICAGO SUCKS" and I can only nod my head in agreement.

This is getting a bit too long winded, so uh let's just say that the first day basically made us question whether or not we should even continue with the trip because obviously Higher Powers had it in for us and would stop at nothing to destroy our hopes and dreams and possibly Nikki's automobile.

But alas all the worrying 'twas for naught.

On May 31st, we woke up feeling rejuvenated and, more importantly, ready to CREDIT WHORE. I know most of y'all want to see some pictures already, so I'll be quick and painless.

SFGAm was pretty empty. There were almost no cars in the lot [as you will see shortly]. It looked as though the Jesus Rain(tm) had followed us to the park, however it held up and we managed to have a splendid day. Rather than write a big long review of everything before I post pictures with captions that basically say the same thing, I'll just skip all of this foreplay and give you what you all came to see...

HARDCORE NUDITY.

Or pictures. Whatev.
006jesusrain.jpg
THE JESUS RAIN(tm)
017shirtlessbikersaretehawesome.jpg
Big Ben?
020cleantoiletseat.jpg
This toilet cleaned for your protection!
027notverybusytoday.jpg
SO MANY CARS?!
029supermanhasalonglinealready.jpg
We were told to head to Superman first and we were glad we did, when we came off the second ride of the day the line had already filled the queue.
053supermanfromskytower.jpg
The pretzel loop is the lone redeeming factor of this ride.
037whizzer.jpg
Whizzer allowed Jer ample time to get Nikki credits.
040viper.jpg
Viper THROUGH THE TREES!!! Since you guys seem to like those.
043Imakegrossfaces.jpg
Viper makes shesaidboom make gross faces.
044ragingbull.jpg
Raging Bull is fun even if it is braked to high hell.
047demon.jpg
Here's the Demon sign. BACKWARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
048demon.jpg
Prepare for a flaming Arrow death.
052coasterssss.jpg
Though there was no rain, the sky still remained dark. This is the only picture with Iron Wolf in it, so enjoy it.
057dejavu.jpg
Dejavu never opened, but did you really expect it to? :( :( :(
059jerfilming.jpg
We were going to make a video, but got bored after 10 minutes of filming.
061whizzer.jpg
More Whizzer.
064weeeee.jpg
Jer named his pony Princess.
066ilikeponiestoo.jpg
Despite the twin levels this carousel was certainly no Caro-Seuss-el.
073more.jpg
This was our first Batman and it kicked ass. It was definately our favourite ride in the park.
076derangedalligator.jpg
The alligator wants to get off the ride. Somebody call Peta!
074rock.jpg
ROCK
077lobster.jpg
LOBSTER
078batmanverticalloop.jpg
More love for Batman.
080v2.jpg
Vertical Velocity was running even though everyone told us it would be closed.
088canoe.jpg
We have no caption for this picture.
094.jpg
Prepare for multiple counts of Raging Bull love.
096.jpg
The people in row four suck at coasters.
097.jpg
Raging Bull is teh fun. lolz.
101.jpg
It's Raging Bull's turn around. Seriously, how witty can you be with pictures like this?
107.jpg
Our favourite picture of Raging Bull.
100.jpg
Raging Bull was one of the few rides we actually had to wait in line for. Luckily, it was only a 1/2 hour wait with a full queue.
098icee.jpg
Mmmm, icee.
109batman.jpg
This picture is brought to you by the letters A-W-E-S-O-M-E.
111hime5cents.jpg
Hi, me five cents! Products are funny.

Postby shesaidboom » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:42 am

shesaidboom and 307 do the parks that are kinda the mid-west but some are more easterly but I guess a few can be considered mid-west but maybe "central" is a better term for them - PART TWO of EIGHTY SIX

We've already covered Six Flags Great America - and now we're heading north to hook up the Wisconsin Dells for some Hades and Avalanche rides.

The drive was pretty generic - oh, except for that tanker truck that exploded in the opposite lanes, causing a traffic back up that lasted ten [yes, 10! more than 9, less than 11] miles. Ten miles! You'll obviously see these pictures a bit later on in the report, when the babbling stops and the visuals begin.

Wisconsin Dells is, to be blunt, a tourist trap. But there's something about it that I just found incredibly odd. I guess it was just because it was a tourist trap in the middle of a forest that made it weird. It was basically "WATER PARK WATER PARK COASTER MINI-GOLF WATERPARK MINI-GOLF RIPLEY'S MUSEUM INDOOR WATER PARK HAUNTED HOUSE RIDE THE DUCKS WATER PARK". Lots of water parks. Fortunately for us, we were doing a whole zero of them and were just here to pick up 11 credits.

Mt. Olympus' main gate - holy crap, that thing just killed me. It was way too high and steeply banked for any "average" American to make it up without suffering some sort of heart attack or stroke. And the entrances to Hades and Zeus were no better. What a work out I got from this place. The Parthenon "giant indoor theme park" was a joke. You walk in to basically a warehouse, in one corner there's Opa! [with basically no entrance - you just stand in the middle of the floor], and a couple of other randomly placed flats/kiddie rides. I mean, what the hell? There's nothing to do here. If this qualifies as "giant indoor theme park", then the dive known as Riverview would certainly be the equivalent to Cedar Point. Also, the addition of a Disc-O to an otherwise nicely themed park is a really dumb idea. When everything else has something to do with Greek mythology at least in some fashion - why would you plop a Disc-O in the middle of it? It just looks stupid. Otherwise, Mt. Olympus was a very nice park full of western European transfer students attempting to pay for college and expecting tips for everything they do.

Timber Falls I found to be incredibly neat, in that you basically pay for your tickets, and then take the appropriate wooden staircase to your destination - rather than having to walk down pathways. Of course, having only three attractions made it possible, but still, I liked.

Onto pictures!
125burntuptruck.jpg
When Trucks Explode, tonight on Fox.
127severalminuteslater.jpg
Ten miles later...
132more.jpg
What we saw on our way to the hotel. We had to drive by this whenever we went anywhere. It taunted us, teasing us, saying "RIDE ME" until we finally caved in.
134welikeblackhawkevenifthesheetsareugly.jpg
The Black Hawk motel was surprisingly nice. It looks like a crap hole from the outside, but the rooms were excellent for the rates. Fridges and microwaves are always a plus.
148.jpg
Nikki doesn't want me to post this picture, but I'm going to anyways.
153.jpg
Just beyond these gates is the first Mt.Olympus death trap, the 60 foot drop that you must make on foot at an impossible angle. We're really not that lazy [Jer is].
154hades.jpg
Hades and this picture have something in common: they're both awesome.
155brokenhades.jpg
Of course every coaster we were looking forward to on this trip had to break down at least once. Hades was our first encounter with this.
156hadesline.jpg
Some woman in line asked us if we went to one of the local high schools. We didn't think we looked that young =\
160hadesdroppingoutofstation.jpg
Fixed! Hades is full of air and it wastes no time in launching you out of your seat.
164hadesflyingbystation.jpg
Hades goes weee and so do I.
165theresagoodreasonforthis.jpg
There's a very good reason they have this sign here.
166crazyhill.jpg
And in this exclusive picture we bring it to you.
167comingoutofcrazyhill.jpg
Most people scream for fun, however Nikki screamed for her life [this is the only coaster to do that, I'm really not a wuss].
172pegasus.jpg
Pegasus has a neat layout but the coaster leaves something to be desired.
177.jpg
Ducks like to kill Nikki.
181opa.jpg
Our car didn't catch properly after our first ride on Opa! so we got a 'bonus' ride, spinning the entire time. I wish all spinning mice did this.
187littletitans.jpg
They made us go around the course five times so we took this exclusive picture to celebrate.
188.jpg
There are three coasters in this photo. Oooooooooh.
189cyclopslift.jpg
Nikki is a lift hill fanatic.
190hades.jpg
Another Mt.Olympus death trap lies behind the Hades entrance.
171divetoatlantis.jpg
Despite our credit whoring, neither of us found it necessary to get the Dive to Atlantis credit. Making it the only credit we skipped on the entire trip.
198nowaitforhades.jpg
The enormous line we had to wait in for Hades. Even though Hades only has one train, the line was non-existant after noon.
199cyclops.jpg
Cyclops guy is awesome.
203iwinatcrookedhillpictures.jpg
Nikki is win at crooked pictures.
204hades.jpg
Despite the exclusivity of this shot, it still brings the cool.
206.jpg
Jer is blowing his nose.
207zeusgoingthroughhades.jpg
Zeus going under Hades, even though you can't really see it. It's neat.
208trojanhorsegokarts.jpg
Mt.Olympus is full of exclusive shots, as you can see here. Mt.Olympus' Go Karts were highly touted by others but we didn't find them to be particularily great.
210.jpg
Hades going up the turn-around on the other side of the parking lot.

Postby shesaidboom » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:03 am

Timber Falls time!
216galaxy.jpg
First we stopped at Riverview Park. This place is an absolute crap hole. Riverview brings the trailer trash quotient of Wisconsin Dells.
213galaxyatriverviewpark.jpg
This ride op was nice and offered us free rides on Galaxi because we were just here to go on that.
218.jpg
We got three crappy credits at this park, which made up for skipping Dive to Atlantis.
221haveaswigwithnig.jpg
When visiting Wisconsin Dells, one must not forget to have a swig with Nig. What's that all about?
225crappypartoftown.jpg
The slums of Wisconsin Dells?
227jereatingcereal.jpg
We didn't have any bowls so Jer ate his cereal in a bucket. Mmmmm, bucket cereal.
239avalanche.jpg
Avalanche may be little, but the thrills are BIG. LOLOLOLOLOLZ.
230.jpg
Avalanche is only about 45 seconds long once you get up the lift, but those 45 seconds are what can be best described as pure insanity.
231.jpg
Sideways airtime is cool even though nobody is getting it in this picture.
232troll.jpg
There's also a log flume and mini-golf here. We didn't ride the log flume, but it looked amusing.
233crooked.jpg
I don't think it's possible for Nikki to take straight pictures of hills.
234.jpg
Timber Falls was completely empty. There were four kids who rode Avalanche all day. In fact, we left and came back a few hours later and they were still riding.
240.jpg
Apparently when the locals have errands to run they drop their kids off at Timber Falls. The ride op told us this happens all the time. I wish my mom did that to me.
244.jpg
The scenery/themeing was actually very nice.
245jerinatree.jpg
We enjoyed playing mini-golf in a tree.
248jerinmyglasses.jpg
Jer wins at mini-golf so I let him wear my glasses.
249.jpg
Those kids in the back are getting some sideways airtime.
251.jpg
While this guy screamed for help, we sat there laughing and taking pictures.
252.jpg
Avalanche and the airplane have a lot in common since you spend a lot of time flying on both.
254.jpg
Nikki found Mexicans and many, many spiders up this guys nose.
259avalancheatnightomgbugs.jpg
Riding Avalanche at night is a horrible idea, unless you like dropping into a giant swarm of bugs and being pelted in the face with them the entire ride.

Full Fledged Bi Enthusiast

Postby okinawaboy11 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:24 am

Wow! Great pictures!

I love how ya'll made Raging Bull's drop look verticle, A very nice shot indeed. Loved the pics of Avalanche, but S&S woodie out there.

Bubbles!

Postby ParkTrips » Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:25 am

This TR kicks ass!! I simply cant wait for more, and yea, for a ride that people complain about being down a lot, I didnt see V2 down at all last month ::roll::

- Joe, who's anxiously awaiting more 8)

308, 309, 310 .....

Postby 307 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:39 pm

Glad to see two of the 190 people who've viewed the topic have liked it. :P

Bubbles!

Postby ParkTrips » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:14 pm

^ Dont worry, a lot of good ones go by without sparking conversation, yet some of the most "WTF?" crap get tons or replies. Its a phenomenon that is hard to track ::|

I taste better with A1

Postby TheStig » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:30 pm

Wow nice Photo TR! I liked the Dells when I went up there, it was like one giant theme park with crappy hotels and expencive nothings all over the place! Oh, and has that second turn on Avalanche gotten any better? When I rode it beat the crap out of me, but I still rode it 57 times!

Colin C

I'm from SoCal, feel bad for me!

Postby What Now » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:31 pm

You rendered us all speechless! ;)

Postby shesaidboom » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:49 pm

ParkTrips wrote:^ Dont worry, a lot of good ones go by without sparking conversation, yet some of the most "WTF?" crap get tons or replies. Its a phenomenon that is hard to track ::|

Yeah, I've noticed this a lot. I guess part of it is that we really don't know many people on here. Oh well, will still post more TRs :P

colincoon wrote:Wow nice Photo TR! I liked the Dells when I went up there, it was like one giant theme park with crappy hotels and expencive nothings all over the place! Oh, and has that second turn on Avalanche gotten any better? When I rode it beat the crap out of me, but I still rode it 57 times!

Thanks :) Avalanche beat the crap out of us too, but it was still worth riding many, many times anyway. The second turn was pretty painful when we rode, I think that and the last or second to last were the worst. Usually pain makes me not want to ride something over and over, but for some reason I loved every second of it. The sideways airtime was insane.

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive