TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

• 3 weeks later...

Did I miss something? People on Twitter seem to be celebrating F&F being closed as a permanent thing. I get that the majority who have ridden it think it's garbage but it seems a big leap to think it's going away.

Unless they're celebrating the temporary closure which also seems weird to me, I'd have thought you'd want the rides you think are garbage to be open to draw crowds away from the lines of the rides you do want to ride.

Unless they're celebrating the temporary closure which also seems weird to me, I'd have thought you'd want the rides you think are garbage to be open to draw crowds away from the lines of the rides you do want to ride.

I pretty much feel the same way but I'm also incredibly entertained that they closed it for budget despite the fact that it's a brand new ride with a huge IP behind it because it's just hilarious. I'm glad they realize it's terrible.

I pretty much feel the same way but I'm also incredibly entertained that they closed it for budget despite the fact that it's a brand new ride with a huge IP behind it because it's just hilarious. I'm glad they realize it's terrible.

They likely closed it partially due to its reliance on live performances to actually make sense. With the Hollywood version, they can tack it onto the end of the Studio Tour, whatever. But to make that "whatever" work as a standalone experience, they have to either A) create an extended ride film or B) have a great big old exposition dump before you board. They took option B and designed the ride's pre-show experience based on a gaggle of people surrounding a live performance actor. The pre-show is LONG and necessary to "get" the ride, so it probably isn't the safest place for people to be right now, even with COVID safety procedures. The Orlando parks in general have been cutting live performances / shows all over the place.

At least with the Hollywood version, the tour driver can be at least somewhat isolated from other guests, but here, they can't be unless they decide to put the pre-show actor in a snow globe.

There are people I know who are insanely proud of the work they did on that ride, on both coasts.

It’s illogical to think they might scrap it and start over after 2 years of operation.

...but I sure hope they do.

Agreed. I can't believe how awful it is. Embarrassing almost. I will admit the gift shop is neat, I know how that sounds but it has a lot of stuff you dont see much of in a theme park, and my youngest son really likes toy cars and such.

I just feel like the ride started with a stupid premise that would make it suck no matter what they did (everyone getting on a Fast and the Furious ride probably expects to be going on a thrilling ride in a fast car, not riding in a party bus watching other people drive fast cars) but even aside from that, nothing was executed well. The only compliments that I ever hear about the ride are that the queue and gift shop are nice or that it does a great job keeping people out of the lines for rides that are actually good.

If they cloned a cheap Cedar Fair Backlot Stunt Coaster and didn't even bother to plus the effects at all it would arguably be a better Fast and the Furious ride than the piece of shit that they have now.

Edited by coasterbill

I took a bunch of 5th graders on it opening week and they were ALL disappointed. It was always a disaster (even worse than the Disaster ride it replaced). If you like the franchise, you're mad that they didn't give it a better ride and if you don't like the franchise you hate it because it's a crap ride. I'm really happy about Velocicoaster because after Fallon and Fast and Furious I can't take more crap!

These are some nice perks if you're a local or are still going during this time period to make up for missing out on a free ticket to Halloween horror nights and valet parking(something I personally just never use)

I'm sure some will still complain about it not being enough though. I was planning on renewing my passes before this covid mess but unfortunately I just don't see myself renewing them because I'm not interested in getting on a plane or traveling right now so it's hard to justify renewing when I have no idea when I'll be going back. Its not like six flags where I can justify paying the money and not going.

When it comes time to renew I've read they give you like 20% for paying in full. Mine is up in October not including the months tacked on for being closed but I think they should offer a future activation date. Like for me I don't plan on going any time the rest of the year and definitely not before the spring of 2021 but if you gave me the incentive of 20% off for paying in full but I can choose lets say September 2021 as the first month I would be able to use my passes I would sign up for that. At least it would keep some cash coming in for them.

Here's the email...

Dear Premier Passholder,

As we continue to focus on operating the theme parks with enhanced health and safety protocols, we recognize some of your Premier Pass benefits, including valet parking and one night of Halloween Horror Nights admission have been impacted.

In lieu of these unavailable benefits, we are offering the following to all Premier Passholders:

• Earlier Universal Express access* starting at 2:00 p.m. from Aug. 10 – Sept. 30, 2020

• Dedicated parking toll booth lane** from Aug. 10 – Sept. 30, 2020

• One (1) free theme park admission ticket*** for a guest

Guest admission is available for use for any one (1) day from August 17 – December 24, 2020 at Universal Studios Florida and Universal’s Islands of Adventure. Premier Passholder must accompany guest to the front gate ticket windows of either park to receive the guest ticket.

Guest admission is available for use for any one (1) day from August 17 – December 24, 2020 at Universal Studios Florida and Universal’s Islands of Adventure. Premier Passholder must accompany guest to the front gate ticket windows of either park to receive the guest ticket.

^That's good of them to offer that. I kind of also feel like even the normal pass holders should get something though. Especially since I bought a pass about four weeks before they offered the 'buy a day get the year free and add on Volcano bay for $30' pass!!!! Still kind of bitter about that.

^That's good of them to offer that. I kind of also feel like even the normal pass holders should get something though. Especially since I bought a pass about four weeks before they offered the 'buy a day get the year free and add on Volcano bay for $30' pass!!!! Still kind of bitter about that.

I'm thinking really hard about ditching my SWO / BGT pass and getting a Universal one instead... At least for me, a full annual pass makes more financial sense than the "until December 24th" ticket. The ticket still requires you to pay for parking for each visit. Meanwhile, the Preferred and Premier passes get you free parking after the first visit, and three months for free. So it's 15 months with included parking, or 4 months without.

What they should of done with fast and furious supercharged is make it like radiator springs racers. Have you slowly drive through some garages with cars being hopped up on lifts, then have it slowly change into the other movies until bam its racing with another car around a slot car type track.

Have you tried giving them a call to see if they will match it since it was only a month before? I've had good experiences with their customer service before and worst case scenario they will just say no.

Quick trip report

Went today, Saturday August 15, 2020, and the place was MOBBED. I realize there is limited capacity, but I have not seen the park this crowded since the holidays. Lines for everything averaged 60+ minutes, and both Hagrids and Gringotts were down. Add onto that the temporary closures of Fast and Furious, Poseidon, and some other rides, and you got limited options.

I did a quick loop and left without riding anything.

61920166011__1F8E9743-4AC6-481C-A35B-AABDD5FF8810.thumb.JPG.668c7879d183cb31da3f07da6792de96.JPG

Yeah. And this was at about 1pm.

IMG_7303.thumb.JPEG.fa1f6e81c50c874adee5357156211f1c.JPEG

Representing CP at UO!

IMG_7304.thumb.JPEG.0410c0f1870d093be002ac1323ca5aa7.JPEG

See?

IMG_7305.thumb.JPEG.e47e52f098c694e307416ff3d56ac757.JPEG

Check out those wait times

IMG_7306.thumb.JPEG.2ddd20907f6242f1f554fb5b6349886e.JPEG

Yikes

IMG_7307.thumb.JPEG.1485fd3023af4cade0d5cc522cb6b09c.JPEG

HARD pass

IMG_7308.thumb.PNG.f6e86f93a3f5cf5f5c594f93cba7b987.PNG

When have you seen an 80 minute wait for the train?

I'm shocked at how busy Universal and Disney have been the past few weekends. The reason is that the majority of other parks across the US that are open can't even get close to capacity. Where are all these people coming from? They definitely aren't resort guests as they have closed or delayed opening resorts.

^Most of the resorts are open at Disney and Universal, though may be limiting capacity. The only ones closed or partially closed to the public that I'm aware of are the ones the NBA are staying in. There are also more people seemingly more comfortable traveling to theme parks before schools start soon (for those who hadn't already started, even if virtually).