Chuck's TPR Shameless Nostalgia Trip Thread

Update: Japan 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Chuck's TPR Shameless Nostalgia Trip Thread

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:05 pm

Great reports of the California parks! I know how you feel about the original Haunted Mansion. I either hit it for Haunted Mansion Holiday or when it's under rehab to be converted back to the original.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Nickelodeon Universe (MN) & Family Kingdom

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Blue Turbo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:47 pm

Was not expecting to see a WCB TR in this, but am glad nonetheless! One of the things I miss about living in Arizona was how easy it was to fly to California for the weekend and do a WCB (one year I went just for the Knott's day because they are full of so much fun). WCB 2013 was my first TPR event and a few of the people I met that weekend are the reason I ended up doing the Mini New Hotness/East Coast trip the next year, so I will consider it as my gateway drug!

Eh, at least I'm not a Jew!

Postby Dan » Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:45 pm

cfc wrote:Image
But the rain can't stop Pizza Port . . .
. . . and beer! That's all for now.

:lover: :lover: :lover:
-Dan
"Life is an astounding journey"

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:41 pm

I think this may have been my last trip to SoCal?!!? I honestly don't remember. I know KT and I are past due though for a big triumphant return!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:12 am

^General Patton has some advice for your "triumphant return."
45fb27.jpg
Last edited by cfc on Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:56 pm.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:55 pm

Europe 2016

Most of the group started in Paris Disneyland (or just in Paris), but I couldn't meet them until they hit Amsterdam.

000.jpg

And that's where they found me--at the hotel, struggling against jet lag until the TPR bus arrived. I'm not sure how many times I dropped off, but I think the book I was reading hit the floor a few times that morning. But it was all worth it. Elissa arranged a great tour of some art museums, as well as the city, that day. Yes, there was a fair amount of culture among the Van Goghs and Rembrandts, with a touch of the Red Light District (well, it does have historical value, being in the oldest part of the city and all). That night, Derek took Dan, John, and I on a cultural tour of another sort, in which a number of fermented hoppy beverages were swigged down.

Yes, it was a great first day and night in Amsterdam, followed by plenty of parks from the Netherlands to Sweden.
001.jpg
Yes, Amsterdam is a beautiful city teeming with culture . . .
002.jpg
. . . and floating in beer. (This joint under the windmill was particularly good.)
003 Walibi.jpg
Off to Walibi Holland for what has to be the most underrated coaster in Europe: Lost Gravity. Local enthusiasts have been downplaying this coaster, even though it's a great ride. I think the folks in this car share my opinion.
004 Walibi.jpg
Goliath is anything but underrated, however.
005 Potts.jpg
Hmm--KT seems to be having some issues with the Nautic Jets at Potts Park.
006 Potts.jpg
I think I'll just ride the bunnies.
007 Heide.jpg
Heide Park has changed a lot since I last visited with TPR in '08. Krake was a nicely themed Dive Coaster in which you're swallowed then expelled rather rudely from a kraken.
008 Heide.jpg
Flug der Damonen was a nicely themed Wingrider. I like the demonic trains.
009 Hansa.jpg
Back to Hansa Park, which boasts a great, truly scary coaster called Karnan.
010 Hansa.jpg
Derek was so frightened by Karnan that he had to be tied up for his own protection.
011 Hansa.jpg
Just get a load of how insane that ride looks! There's crazy airtime everywhere, too.
012 Movie Park.jpg
Van Helsing was the best ride at Movie Park.
013 Movie Park.jpg
Unfortunately, they still have Bandit--one of the worst things ever built.
014 Phan.jpg
This is probably the only decent picture I've ever taken of Phantasialand's best coaster--Winjas. But the dang thing is just so speedy and spinny!
015 Phan.jpg
Chiapas is my favorite flume ride behind Timber Mountain at Knott's and Disney's Splash Mountains.
016 Phan.jpg
Hmm--I don't recall Glinda the Good being a creepy hipster dude the last time I rode Hollywood Tour.
017 HP.jpg
Premiere launched rides contiued to be all the rage! Seriously, how many of these rides have been built? Sky Scream has the added bonus of making the queue into a "haunt" maze.
018 HP.jpg
I'm pleased to report that Expedition GeForce is an amazing as ever--especially when you get extra, extra ERT!
019 Europa.jpg
The Bell Rock is yet another great resort at Europa Park.
020 Europa.jpg
Blue Fire's loop is fun, but this Mack coaster saves its big thrill for the end. Watch out for that last inversion!
021 Europa.jpg
On the plus side, Wodan is a beautiful looking structure with a very nice "Valhalla" theme--and fire. On the other hand, it's not one of GCI's better coasters.
022 Europa.jpg
Arthur was a very cool dark ride. The ride system is essentially an inverted powered coaster. I think Disney or Universal could do some cool stuff with it, too.
023 Europa.jpg
"Ye set me heart aflame, ye brazen wench!" (What--too soon? I'm looking forward to riding the rebuilt Pirates of Batavia someday.)
024 Europa.jpg
I'd forgotten about this odd version of the "Jungle Cruise."
025 Europa.jpg
This is the first time I've ever see Europa after dark.
026 Europa.jpg
Yes, this park has been afforded more photos than the others. But, hey, it's Europa!
027 GL.jpg
Welcome to Grona Lund in Stockholm! I like to say we flew in on this balloon, but that would be a lie.
028 GL.jpg
Jetline continues to kick butt, as you can tell by these happy riders.
029 GL.jpg
Insane still lives up to its name.
030 GL.jpg
This woman really likes Grona Lund.
031 GL.jpg
The walk-through tour of Bla Taget was very interesting.
032 GL.jpg
Aw, who wants to adopt this poor kitty?
033 GL.jpg
Yep--Grona Lund is a classic park that just keeps getting better.
034 Kolmarden.jpg
Zoos in the U.S. will feature a kiddie coaster, if you're lucky. Kolmarden has Wildfire!
035 Kolmarden.jpg
I think the hair of the girl in the sixth row sums up this ride pretty well.
036 Kolmarden.jpg
The Sky Safari is great, too.
037 Kolmarden.jpg
How often do you get to look down on giraffes?
038 Kolmarden.jpg
Hurry up! You don't what to be late for the bus!
039 Kolmarden.jpg
Looks like the tiger ordered in today.
040 Kolmarden.jpg
Let's end with a bear playing ball. Be more like the bear, folks. That's all for now.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:16 pm

This hurts a little more than normal as we were supposed to be at Europa right now.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Blue Turbo » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:26 pm

Amazing looking trip! I really need to make it over to Europe to check out these parks

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:36 am

SharkTums wrote:This hurts a little more than normal as we were supposed to be at Europa right now.

Aw, I'm sorry. I understand your feelings, as I wish I was at Europa, too. :(

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Taylor Finn » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:02 am

Love the pics as always. A good many parks on here that I would love to visit at some point!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!