TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Disneyland closing Saturday, March 14th for Corona Virus until at least the end of March.

"Update on Disneyland Resort Operations

While there have been no reported cases of COVID-19 at Disneyland Resort, after carefully reviewing the guidelines of the Governor of California’s executive order and in the best interest of our guests and employees, we are proceeding with the closure of Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park, beginning the morning of March 14 through the end of the month.

The Hotels of Disneyland Resort will remain open until Monday, March 16 to give guests the ability to make necessary travel arrangements; Downtown Disney will remain open. We will monitor the ongoing situation and follow the advice and guidance of federal and state officials and health agencies. Disney will continue to pay cast members during this time.

Disneyland Resort will work with guests who wish to change or cancel their visits, and will provide refunds to those who have hotel bookings during this closure period. We anticipate heavy call volume over the next several days and appreciate guests’ patience as we work hard to respond to all inquiries.

Please contact The Walt Disney Travel Company for questions and cancellations at (714) 520-5050."

• 3 weeks later...

Disneyland's new Magic Happens parade debuted on February 28. I was there on Leap Day and compiled a short highlights video for each float. I really liked how the walkaround characters interacted with the audience and I liked the float design.

I am such a longtime, huge fan of Disney's parades that I can actually recognize specific performers; a lot of the cast members in this parade are familiar faces from Soundsational. They're all really great and I definitely expect them to keep the performances consistent.

Also, I am in LOVE with this parade. It looks best at dusk; some of the effects pop out better in the dark.

I think the only thing about this parade that disappointed me is that Tiana didn't get a new outfit... Fairy Godmother, Blue Fairy, even Merlin got updated costumes, and Cinderella and Aurora got amazing new dresses (Aurora's is SO AMAZING OMFG).... but poor Tiana is still stuck in that giant green thing. I mean, I get that the theme of the parade is Transformation, so her being in the green dress makes sense, but... couldn't they couture it up? Like they did with Cinderella and Aurora?

• 2 months later...

Here is their full statement:

Disneyland Resort Proposes Plans to Begin Phased Reopening July 9, with Proposed Reopening of Theme Parks July 17

Michael Ramirez

by Michael Ramirez, Public Relations Director, Disneyland Resort

Sixty-five years to the date after the historic opening of Disneyland park, we are planning to open our theme park gates once again on July 17, 2020, welcoming guests back to the Disneyland Resort.

Disney Parks, Experiences and Products today announced proposed plans for a phased reopening of the Disneyland Resort. Pending state and local government approvals, Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa and Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel plan to reopen on July 23, and Disneyland park and Disney California Adventure park will plan to reopen on July 17. Additionally, Downtown Disney District will begin reopening on July 9.

Because theme park capacity will be significantly limited to comply with governmental requirements and promote physical distancing, the Disneyland Resort will manage attendance through a new theme park reservation system that will require all guests, including Annual Passholders, to obtain a reservation for park entry in advance. Theme park reservations will be subject to availability. More details about this new reservation system will be available soon. At this time, there will also be a temporary pause on new ticket sales and Annual Passport sales and renewals. Additional details will be available soon. Please check Disneyland.com for the most current information.

Once approved, the Disneyland Resort will reopen with enhanced health and safety measures. In addition, a Guest Experience Team will be available throughout the parks and Downtown Disney District to assist guests with questions regarding these new policies.

Certain experiences that draw large group gatherings – such as parades and nighttime spectaculars – will return at a later date. While character meet and greets will be temporarily unavailable, characters will be in the parks in new ways to entertain and delight guests.

Pending governmental approval, Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel and Disney Vacation Club Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa are planned to reopen to guests and members starting on July 23. Plans to support physical distancing as well as increased cleaning measures, along with a number of other health and safety protocols, will be implemented as part of the phased reopening of the hotels and the Vacation Club.

Downtown Disney District will begin reopening on July 9 in line with the state’s reopening guidelines, with its unique variety of shopping and dining experiences, including the flagship World of Disney store. With the health of guests and Disney cast members at the forefront of planning, several operational changes will be implemented based on guidance from health authorities to promote physical distancing and cleanliness throughout the Downtown Disney District.

Additional information on enhanced health and safety measures and operational changes for reopening locations will be shared soon. These policies are under continuous review and are subject to change as the Disneyland Resort monitors conditions and receives guidance from health and government authorities.

Disneyland holds a special place in the hearts of people around the world. It was created as a place where family members of all ages could have fun together – a place to “leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy.” Sixty-five years later it still is.

It’s time for magic – and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Disney Parks Blog

I'm surprised how little information was included in this press release considering Shanghai has been reopened with the new systems for a bit now. I know it won't be exactly the same but it sure as hell will be close. I'm curious what capacity they'll be reopening with and if the lack of shows, parades, and fireworks will mean a limited-time ticket price decrease.

Hahahahahaha who the hell am I kidding? If anything it's gonna jump an extra $30 per day.

lkvxa5xl51t21.thumb.jpg.070653a61ebffa0223961d986a594f61.jpg

I couldn't find a video which had an animation of this, but I found this image on Reddit which hopefully answers your question. I believe the doors you might walk past in the corridor close in such a way they're disguised with the panelling on the wall. Then all the ride vehicles are on turntables (apart from the ones for disabled riders) which slowly turn during the ride and in between loading/unloading of other ride vehicles.

It's quite fascinating... The only turntable movement that you can deliberately feel is at the very beginning and the end, when turntable movement actually happens in the story. For the entire ride, you're basically clueless to the movements of the turntable because there's just so much else going on.

I'm surprised how little information was included in this press release...

The Press Release says they have submitted their plans and are waiting on state and local government approvals. So, I would guess they didn't say anything about those plans, because they haven't been approved yet.

^Is this the kind of animation you are looking for?

Ah I think so! Thanks for that.

It's quite fascinating... The only turntable movement that you can deliberately feel is at the very beginning and the end, when turntable movement actually happens in the story. For the entire ride, you're basically clueless to the movements of the turntable because there's just so much else going on.

My understanding is that the times you feel it are the only times it moves (it's stationary for the actual ride I think, in the same way Carousel of Progress stops to allow people to board), but nevertheless it's such a great solution and really seamlessly integrated. What I love about things like this (and the carousel screens on Forbidden Journey) is that it's this amazing tech that is basically invisible and the average rider wouldn't even know it exists. It reminds me of that Arthur C Clarke quote that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

The table rotates to each of the positions throughout your ride. Your comparison to Carousel of Progress is correct; but the reason you don't feel the lateral movement most of the time is because your pod is moving around on it's motion base. You only feel the movement in the beginning and end of the ride because your pod is not moving shaking you around, so you feel the rotation.

The animation that you referenced is 100% correct in showing how the ride works.

^ Exactly. It's half-baked which is very odd for official news out of Disney.

But this is how it's been for every park so far. Disney, Universal, SeaWorld, even the smaller parks that have submitted for approvals. If there is any take-away from this is that the "submission for approval" is basically a technicality and it would seem like their plan has already been pretty much approved before the official submission has even happened.

Edited by robbalvey

WARNING--Some spoilers for Smuggler's Run and how it works ahead

Alright, so using this video of a solo ride on the Florida version, which is by all practical measures completely identical, we can see that the initial and final rotations are at times 1:20 and 5:10 in the video. According to the diagram on the last page, we can see that six rotations are necessary to move the capsule from the loading station to the unloading station during the 230 seconds of active ride time. Since the ride must rotate 4 times during that time, the time between rotations is roughly 46 seconds. Thus, the rotations are disguised roughly at timestamps 2:06, 2:52, 3:38, and 4:24.

2:06 is the first jump to hyperspace, most likely disguising that lateral motion by rolling the pod slightly in the direction of the turn so it is observed as positive Gs during the kick into hyperspace. At 2:52, the Falcon comes around a tight corner just before running into the train, so the laterals felt during that turn are actually partially caused by the pod rotating into the next position. 3:38 I can't seem to figure out, there is a small kink in the Falcon's motion as it crests a hill, so maybe that could be disguised with some creative roll work behind the scenes. 4:24 is probably my favorite of the bunch. In this case, it is synced perfectly with destroying the rest of the coaxium train as a distraction. The rotation and resulting laterals is shown as the blast you feel from the exploding train.

We all know Disney is capable of some wizardry behind the scenes, but this exceeds my expectations greatly. I had some ideas about where they could be coming into this research (I was most certain about one being timed with the crash) but all of them were wrong. This ride, as relatively tame and screen-based as it is, has some absolutely insane technical wizardry with all the rotations, pitch, and roll of the motion simulator platform and then sticking that already complicated system on a gigantic rotating wheel. As much as it is distinctly not my favorite ride experience-wise at the parks, it is probably my favorite on a technical standpoint.

DLR reopening postponed

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/06/24/media/disneyland-reopening-postponed/index.html

New York(CNN Business)Disney is delaying the phased reopening of Disneyland and Disney California Adventure, the company's flagship theme parks in California, the company said on Wednesday.

The resort, located in Anaheim, California, was set to welcome back guests on July 17 after being closed for months because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Disney (DIS) did not give a new reopening date for the Disneyland resort.

The company said that the State of California had indicated it would not issue theme park reopening guidelines "until sometime after July 4," according to a statement. "Given the time required for us to bring thousands of cast members back to work and restart our business, we have no choice but to delay the reopening of our theme parks and resort hotels until we receive approval from government officials."

200625070815-splash-mountain-reimagine-exlarge-169.jpg.6dbac9faf029f73128d76d506482ed05.jpg

Disney just announced big changes to Splash Mountain at both USA parks:

The log flume ride — which is based on the controversial 1946 film "Song of the South" — isn't going anywhere. Instead, it will be rethemed to star the characters from the 2009 animated film, "The Princess and the Frog," which features Disney's first Black princess.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/25/media/splash-mountain-disney/index.html

Edited by SharkTums

^ Well, if this causes them to extend the borders of New Orleans Square...

...won't be very much of a "square" anymore. And good old Critter Country

will be "downsized" a bit. (I do realize that Haunted Mansion already changed that.)

Or, they'll leave it all as is, and this will be a 'bridge' of sorts, between the two lands.

oh I'm excited ! I love the "look" of the movie, I'm hoping the creative team gets the budget to really capture the animation and mannerisms of all the characters. I wonder if they will use some of the "2d" ideas from Mickey and Minnie's railway.

I can’t say I’m not disappointed that they’re completely retheming it. I like The Princess and the Frog, but I absolutely love the atmosphere and music for Splash Mountain.

That being said, the new theme will fit perfectly in both New Orleans Square AND Critter Country.