TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Cedar Point is totally getting a big giant badass roller freaking coaster next year. It's their 150th anniversary of operations!

What park would have a 150th birthday and not buy a frikkin colossal rollin coastin behemoth?

Lake Compounce, that's who. And that place is a steamin craphole.

Cedar Point is gonna outdo them all. Biggest birthday ever, its gonna be unbelievable. Believe me. They're gonna make the worlds biggest cake and have the most amount of smelly enthusiasts jump out of it and there's gonna be fireworks and lazers and synchronized dancing by sharks they're puttin in the lake. Don't forget your masks.

(^ I hope you picked up on the sarcastic Easter egg in my post. I don't believe in anniversary addition rumors.)

MF had a slight rattle in the last seat, but it wasn't bad. The lower seats seem smoother. The second to the last seat is our favorite. It's very smooth and it doesn't have the line that the very last seat has.

Edited by prozach626

They're gonna finally build the Euthanasia coaster.

It's for the best. Not everyone has a lean cuisine aisle and Toto's Africa blasting at their local supermarket to commit suicide in a state of euphoria. It'll be a service.

Why have people gotten so quick to throw out how rough a coaster is these days? People say brand new B&M'S like Banshee have a rattle and honestly everyone's entitled to their opinion but if you find rides like that to be rough then what the hell do you ride? Millenium Force can have a vibration sometimes in some seats but anyone who would call the ride rough probably likes to complain.

The second to the last seat is our favorite. It's very smooth and it doesn't have the line that the very last seat has.

That's my go-to "money seat" on MF as well! Front season is awesome, for sure, but a near-constant 30 minute extra wait for it isn't worth it to me. First seat of that last car is where it's at for me!

Why have people gotten so quick to throw out how rough a coaster is these days? People say brand new B&M'S like Banshee have a rattle and honestly everyone's entitled to their opinion but if you find rides like that to be rough then what the hell do you ride?

I feel like the existence of Banshee's rattle (especially near the back) is an objective thing. It does exist. Now whether you consider that feeling to be "rough" compared to your other coaster experiences, that's where opinions come into play.

It's definitely weird that some B&M's have an uncomfortable rattle and others, even older ones, don't. I don't have the answer for why.

Not every rattling sound makes a coaster rough.. I don't mind hearing a coaster.

I haven't been on Millennium Force since three years. But I rode it over and over on four consecutive days from heavy sunshine to a light drizzle, in every train in almost every row. We had almost 50 rides. And after we came home we heard trip reports from the same days stating it would be unbearably rough. I have no clue if these people aren't riding other coasters or where this comes from.

Same with Blue Fire. Peolple expect it to be glass smooth. One little bang here or there - rough!

Zach - I love your sarcasm

Thanks for making my morning better!

I wouldn't rule out a new coaster, since next year Cedar Point will be celebrating its 150th operating year.

Cedar Point is totally getting a big giant badass roller freaking coaster next year. It's their 150th anniversary of operations!

What park would have a 150th birthday and not buy a frikkin colossal rollin coastin behemoth?

Cedar Point is gonna outdo them all. Biggest birthday ever, its gonna be unbelievable. Believe me. They're gonna make the worlds biggest cake and have the most amount of smelly enthusiasts jump out of it and there's gonna be fireworks and lazers and synchronized dancing by sharks they're puttin in the lake. Don't forget your masks.

I hate both of you.

Lake Compounce celebrated by shortening their name from Lake Compounce Festival Park to Lake Compounce.

But don't worry, the big coaster came a year later with the Kiddie Coaster that adults aren't allowed to ride.

(^ I hope you picked up on the sarcastic Easter egg in my post. I don't believe in anniversary addition rumors.)

110%. Just having some fun piling it on.

I wouldn't rule out a new coaster, since next year Cedar Point will be celebrating its 150th operating year.

I hate both of you.

I roll my eyes when I see this argument come up again in an email notification. Then I notice the usernames of who posted it and all is well again.

I have no idea where this idea that park anniversaries are a big deal even started. Has there ever been an amusement park that made a huge deal out of one with a giant roller-coaster? I feel like even Disney is mostly just decoration and merchandise. I was at DisneySea for its 10th anniversary and it was just decorations and logos around the park and merchandise with 10 on it. For all I know it was the same merchandise they always sell just with 10's on the packaging.

^I was at Disneyland during their 60th anniversary season and I'm pretty sure they opened a 400ft RMC T-rex themed to Frozen.. it has since been removed because it was for the anniversary season only.

In all seriousness enthusiasts for the last two decades have tied anniversaries to their rumors and wet dreams and I can't recall of a single instance that a park celebrated a major milestone anniversary with a major new coaster. Yet the cycle renews every year.

^To be fair, it has happened a few times. Notably Six Flags Magic Mountain in 2011 (their 40th) when they opened backwards Superman, Green Lantern, and Road Runner Express. But then again, if any park in the world were to celebrate anniversaries with a new coaster, it would be SFMM. And barring any delays, I can totally see them celebrating their 50th next year with that new Jersey Devil clone.

But in general, yeah, anniversaries definitely do not correlate to new coasters that year.

^I was at Disneyland during their 60th anniversary season and I'm pretty sure they opened a 400ft RMC T-rex themed to Frozen.. it has since been removed because it was for the anniversary season only.

In all seriousness enthusiasts for the last two decades have tied anniversaries to their rumors and wet dreams and I can't recall of a single instance that a park celebrated a major milestone anniversary with a major new coaster. Yet the cycle renews every year.

Magic Kingdom and Epcot have Tron and Guardians of the Galaxy coming for MK's 50th and Epcot's 40th... kind of

Magnum seems to be testing. I would Guess They have been told that they can start prepping to open. Then the State will make the announcement in the next few days. Then Cedar Point/ Kings island will make an announcement after the state with dates

I mean, almost EVERY amusement park makes a pretty big deal out of major Anniversaries. Just because they "make a big deal" out of it, doesn't mean that a new coaster is coming though. My perspective on this issue, is that the people saying parks care about Anniversaries are right, because objectively, provably, they are. But the people saying parks aren't in the habit of celebrating said Anniversaries with big new coasters or additions are also right, because, again, objectively, provably, they are. The truth is in the nuance, as it often is.

As far as CP in concerned though, I believed, and still believe, a new coaster is coming in 2021 (or pushed back to 2022), because other than that brief period after Maverick, their investment strategy my entire life (over 40 years of evidential proof) has been regular, large, capital investments. What constitutes large varies, but from my coaster "Spidey Sense" (and that sense was pretty damn right about SGGAdv this year!), as well as various things I've seen and heard, I do see another coaster at CP before too long, and I do think initially the plan was to sync it up with the second year of their 150th celebration, though that may have been more circumstantial than anything.

I mean, almost EVERY amusement park makes a pretty big deal out of major Anniversaries. Just because they "make a big deal" out of it, doesn't mean that a new coaster is coming though....

Oh come on!!!!! You know they owe us this 150mph coaster. They have been promising it, and teasing it for years, or so people wanted to believe. Their 150 anniversary is totally the year they will make it happen!! It just makes sense!!

I guess I should be clear, I didn't mean parks do not care or celebrate anniversaries. They obviously do. I meant there is no substantial evidence to show that major anniversaries equate to major investments such as a giant new roller coaster to celebrate it.

CP has regularly been in the habit of hanging banners on rides for their 45th or 35th anniversary, etc. But has rarely invested in a large ride for the sole purpose to celebrate their anniversary. To me the point of an anniversary is to celebrate the history of the item, park or event. Not to take away from that by constantly adding something new and large and unique.

It's normally a false economy to build a big new ride to celebrate an anniversary as the marketing efforts for one will come at the expense of other. It makes sense to just do generic decorations/celebrations on an anniversary year because it makes something out of nothing - Disney are experts out of this having also celebrated 35th and 45th anniversaries, neither of which are particularly notable.

Disney are obviously opening a ton of new things for their 50th, but in this case I think these rides were always part of their masterplan as they step up their response to Universal, and in their case it makes sense to package it up as part of the 50th anniversary celebrations.