Chuck's TPR Shameless Nostalgia Trip Thread

Update: China 2012!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Chuck's TPR Shameless Nostalgia Trip Thread

Postby cal1br3tto » Mon May 18, 2020 10:10 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:Was Voyage running one of Raven's train in that photo? The train looks red in the photo and I thought it always had purple trains.

Yes. The borrowed train was informally known as "Ravage."
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Mon May 18, 2020 1:07 pm

^Unfortunately, this effort combined with the Timberliner fiasco resulted in Voyage running 6 car trains indefinitely (opposed to the original 7).

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon May 18, 2020 5:07 pm

Australia 2011
Ah, yes! The Land Down Under! They mysterious continent that gave us some one-hit wonders like Men at Work and Paul Hogan, cuddly koala bears that look down on you with disdain, kangaroos and giant birds that will KILL YOU over an ice-cream cone filled with alfalfa pellets, and Vegemite, an industrial lubricant masquerading as a condiment. There's also this very high bridge you can climb.

000.jpg

I've always wanted to visit Australia, and I enjoyed TPR's tour of part of this vast country, which was full of friendly folks, along with all sorts of bugs, reptiles, and other creatures dedicated to your untimely death. Yes, we saw plenty of animals on this trip, along with gorgeous scenery. I enjoyed the parks, too.

Aussie enthusiasts tend to be a bit sheepish about their parks, but I don't know why. They had plenty of good stuff to offer.

1. Warner Bros. Movie World has one of the best launched Intamin coasters anywhere: Superman Escape (which should not be confused with SF Magic Mountain's Superman: Escape from Krypton, which you won't find at the Australian Magic Mountain).

2. How many wooden Wild Mouse coasters are still running? The Luna Park and Aussie World ones were fun, but I think the latter's coaster was removed.

3. Luna Park Melbourne's Scenic Railway is one of the oldest operating wooden coasters in the world (it's been thrilling riders since 1912).

G'day! Welcome to Sydney! Hope you Bruces and Sheilas aren't feeling too jetlagged.
001.jpg
"Welcome to the Featherdale Wildlife Park. You folks might want to stand clear as I live on very high fiber eucalyptus leaves."
002.jpg
"Oh, god, I feel like I just crapped out half an ice-cream cone."
002a.jpg
A bona fide Tasmanian devil! He did not spin around like a tornado, which was a bit disappointing.
003.jpg
What would you call a park with such scenic vistas? Why Scenic World, of course!
004.jpg
This is the home of the infamous Orphan Rocker, a coaster that never opened the the public. I guess this is why you don't build janky coasters along 700-foot cliffs.
005.jpg
I was somewhat less jetlagged when this photo was taken, . . .
006.jpg
. . . but then I encountered this!
007.jpg
The wooden Wild Mouse was wild, indeed. I loved the views of Sydney Harbor from this coaster.
008.jpg
Luna Park's Fun House also had great attractions for the entire family, such as wooden super slides . . .
009.jpg
. . . and 1940s movie hookers? Old school, indeed!
010.jpg
Australian zombies eat at McDonald's. I guess they don't like emu and kangaroo. Is Australia the only country where they eat their National Animal (the kangaroo) and National Bird (the emu)? Seriously, you can get kangaroo and emu as pizza toppings.
011.jpg
Warner Bros. Movie World boasted (at the time) the best coaster in Australia--Superman Escape! There's a cool dark-ride bit, an intense launch, plenty of airtime, and, of course, Superman pushing your train.
012.jpg
Unfortunately, the park also had one of the worst rides in Lethal Weapon.
013.jpg
Jimmy is from Arizona. He's not used to this liquid that falls from the sky!
014.jpg
Even jaded Hollywood moguls are impressed with the park's stunt-car show.
015.jpg
Sea World (not to be confused with SeaWorld) was a very nice aquatic park with another fun launched Intamin: Jet Rescue. It's a very good family coaster.
016.jpg
It's not a visit to Australia unless you see one Great White Shark--preferably behind glass.
017.jpg
"SHARK? WHERE?'
018.jpg
Wet 'n' Wild was a nice waterpark, but I'm a bit concerned about this raft.
019.jpg
We had ERT on a Flowrider. This happened to me a few times, too.
020.jpg
Can you name the inspiration behind Australia's Dreamworld? Give it some thought. It will come to you.
021.jpg
Dreamworld's Tower of Terror was like SF Magic Mountain's Superman, right down to having a drop ride on the same tower. We had a great behind-the-scenes tour of this ride.
022.jpg
Er, are you sure this is a good idea? Nice kitty!
023.jpg
Yep--I'm so mean I once shot a man for snorin'! More to come, you mangy polecats!
Last edited by cfc on Mon May 18, 2020 5:08 pm.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon May 18, 2020 5:31 pm

More from TPR's Australia Trip. Take care not to chunder.
024.jpg
Do not say bad things about Aussie World's Wild Mouse, . . .
025.jpg
. . . or they will come back to bite you in the butt.
026.jpg
We ended up on Australian TV when we rode Redback.
027.jpg
Rock 'n' Roll Rebel was a fun indoor Himalaya.
028.jpg
Welcome to the Australia Zoo, which was founded by the late Steve Irwin. Yes, this cassowary wanted to kill me and everyone else! If anyone doubts the link between dinosaurs and birds, throw them in a cassowary pit. Then they'll believe!
029.jpg
"Yes, yes. I'm adorable. Please move along."
030.jpg
This was Steve Irwin's favorite croc. He's about the size of a Buick.
031.jpg
Killed and stuffed this one myself!
032.jpg
"G'day! I'm your Australia Zoo hospitality host. Can I get you a nice beverage? Perhaps some Vegemite?"
032a.jpg
Wonderland Fun Park, whhre we ate some nice cake . . .
033.jpg
. . . and shamelessly credit whored this ride.
034.jpg
Luna Park Melbourne also likes to swallow guests whole.
035.jpg
The Scenic Railway may have been a bit bumpy . . .
036.jpg
. . . but it looked great after dark.
037.jpg
They gave us a walking tour of their ghost train.
038.jpg
Sure, she's dead. Don't judge!
039.jpg
"Woohoo! I'll swallow your soul!"
040.jpg
Luna Park also had a beautiful old carousel.
041.jpg
Welcome to not Six Flags Magic Mountain.
042.jpg
Yes, they had a coaster . . .
043.jpg
. . . but the real attraction was this great alpine slide . . .
044.jpg
. . . in which you're swallowed by a shark!
045.jpg
We checked out a a bit of Canberra before returning to Sydney--and home. That's all until we head to China.
Last edited by cfc on Tue May 19, 2020 6:47 am.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon May 18, 2020 6:21 pm

I would really like to do another TPR Australia trip, it was a lot of fun and such a fun country.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon May 18, 2020 6:59 pm

Great report! I'm looking forward to making it to Australia at some point. Looks like a beautiful country with some good rides.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Belmont Park & Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby The Great Zo » Mon May 18, 2020 11:06 pm

Scenic World looks appropriately scenic. I'd only heard about the place before because of the whole thing with Orphan Rocker, but if I can live through visiting four parks with inoperable RMCs, I can probably handle that one.

Also, calling an SLC "Lethal Weapon" is a little too on-the-nose.
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR -- 2015 CP -- 2017 FL
Trip Reports: 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA -- 2019 CP -- 2019 Euro -- 2019 GC

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Tue May 19, 2020 4:53 am

SharkTums wrote:I would really like to do another TPR Australia trip, it was a lot of fun and such a fun country.

Yes, please!

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Tue May 19, 2020 4:59 am

The Great Zo wrote:Scenic World looks appropriately scenic. I'd only heard about the place before because of the whole thing with Orphan Rocker, but if I can live through visiting four parks with inoperable RMCs, I can probably handle that one.

Also, calling an SLC "Lethal Weapon" is a little too on-the-nose.

Scenic World is a beautiful place and worth a visit. I think the SLC has since been rethemed to Batman.

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Tue May 19, 2020 7:04 pm

cfc wrote: Ah, yes! The Land Down Under! They mysterious continent that gave us some one-hit wonders like Men at Work and Paul Hogan,

Perhaps you are referring here to Men at Work's chart-topping hit song, "Who Can It Be Now?"

Or maybe you mean their SECOND number-one hit, "Down Under"?

Well, Chuck, which is it?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!