Chuck's TPR Shameless Nostalgia Trip Thread

Update: Australia 2011!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Chuck's TPR Shameless Nostalgia Trip Thread

Postby cfc » Mon May 11, 2020 5:31 pm

Mid-America 2010

So far, I'd visited the UK, Europe, and Japan with TPR. Good times, but I hadn't seen too many parks in the USA, outside of California, Virginia, and Florida (along with some time at Kings Island, Holiday World, and the Mall of America's Camp Snoopy). So why not tour the nation's heartland a bit and see some the country's more "eccentric" parks, such as Silver Dollar City and Indiana Beach? Yes, you can see some interesting sights . . .

00.jpg

. . . and meet some interesting people amid the wheat and cornfields of the Midwest.

Here are a few things I learned on this trip.

1. Holiday World's Voyage can be a very good ride early in the season (say, April). But ride it late in the summer, and it's quite bad indeed. Talk about Jekyll and Hyde!

2. Indiana Beach's tacos are surprisingly good for tacos made in Indiana. Fascination is great, too.

3. S&S needs to build more rides like Silver Dollar City's Powder Keg. Seriously, this should be their "flagship" product.

4. Six Flags St. Louis has the best version of the Scooby Doo shooting dark ride ever.

5. Every city needs its own City Museum--and Lambert's.

Well, time to fly to the Twin Cities and see what Spongebob and friends are up at the Mall of America.
01 Nick.jpg
Welcome to Nickelodeon Universe--or Spongebob's favorite place next to the Crabby Patty.
02 Nick.jpg
Spongebob's Rock Bottom Plunge coaster is all well and good, but my favorite ride there is still the Log Flume.
04 Adventureland.jpg
Iowa's Adventureland was full of friendly people and a particularly painful ride in the Dragon.
05 Adventureland.jpg
But CCI's Outlaw was pretty good.
07 WOF.jpg
Worlds of Fun is a generic Cedar Fair park, but I am a sucker for Morgan Hypercoasters, like Mamba.
08 WOF.jpg
We all worshipped at the Altar of Prowler, as well. (Seriously, it's a good ride, but I'm not sure why so many fanboys were so passionate about it.)
09 SDC.jpg
Yep--Powder Keg was my favorite coaster at Silver Dollar City, but Outlaw Run might change my mind someday.
10 SDC.jpg
Wildfire was a good, solid B&M coaster in a beautiful setting.
11 SDC.jpg
Silver Dollar City also boasts an actual cave tour.
12 SL.jpg
We rode to the top of the Gateway Arch in St. Louis . . .
13 CM.jpg
. . . and went nuts at the City Museum.
14 CM.jpg
Yes, this place is fascinating to explore and offers many opportunities for serious personal injury.
15 CM.jpg
Elissa, I think the "green ear" virus you caught at Liseberg is flaring up again. Might want to have that checked.
16 CM.jpg
Look--it's SpongeRobb!
18 SFSL.jpg
Mr. Freeze at Six Flags St. Louis is proof that Premier Rides builds a damn good launched shuttle (nice job on the theming, too, Six Flags).
19 SFSL.jpg
Yep--"swamp boat Scooby Doo" is the best Scooby Doo.
21 HW.jpg
Raven was my favorite coaster at Holiday World.
22 HW.jpg
I even thought Legend was OK, although I'd heard bad things about it.
23 HW.jpg
As for Voyage, well, the backstage tour was nice.
24 IB.jpg
Come to Indiana Beach for the bizarre rides . . .
24b IB.jpg
. . . but stay for the elephant ears . . .
26 IB.jpg
. . . and Fascination.
26 SFGA.jpg
I remember visiting Marriott's Great America in Santa Clara when it opened in 1976. This was my first visit to the Six Flags version in Illinois.
27 SFGA.jpg
Raging Bull was OK (especially at night), but it looks cooler than it is.
28 SFGA.jpg
But Illinois still has the Whizzer. Overall, we had a very good time SF Great America that day and evening (even Viper was running great).
29 SFGA.jpg
Dan finally embraces the wetness.
30 Dells.jpg
Their facial expressions perfectly sum up my feelings about Mt. Olympus in the Wisconsin Dells. I've no deisre to go there again.
31 Dells.jpg
Sigh! Avalanche was great, though. Pity it's gone now.
32 VF.jpg
Valleyfair is also a bit generic, but it has the greatest mascot ever: Baron Oom Pah Pah! He's great because he probably drinks a lot of beer.
33 VF.jpg
Renegade was fun, too--another solid GCI. That's all for the Midwest. Next week, we'll be going Down Under.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon May 11, 2020 6:07 pm

SpongeRobb!! HA!!! Another great trip down memory lane.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Blue Turbo » Mon May 11, 2020 7:37 pm

I was recently thinking about Indiana Beach's elephant ears! So good!

Eh, at least I'm not a Jew!

Postby Dan » Tue May 12, 2020 6:45 pm

Chuck, you're a national treasure!
-Dan
"Life is an astounding journey"

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby cparkes92 » Tue May 12, 2020 7:19 pm

Dan wrote:Chuck, you're a national treasure!

I love your avatar!
Top 10 steel: Steel Vengeance, Millennium Force, Maverick, Mako, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, SheiKra, Montu
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Blue Streak (CP), Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed May 13, 2020 4:39 am

Dan wrote:Chuck, you're a national treasure!

No wonder Nicholas Cage has been following me around.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Thu May 14, 2020 2:14 pm

I'm just now coming across this. More Chuck pictures and reports are always a good thing, in my book.

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Mon May 18, 2020 1:11 am

Fun seeing your experiences at some American parks!

Powder Keg is criminally underrated. I can’t believe no other parks jumped on that product. It’s wildly thrilling but suitable for the whole family—hard to beat that!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon May 18, 2020 8:16 am

Was Voyage running one of Raven's train in that photo? The train looks red in the photo and I thought it always had purple trains.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Belmont Park & Six Flags Discovery Kingdom

Postby Philrad71 » Mon May 18, 2020 9:40 am

I was pleasantly surprised by Mamba after moving to KC last year. By far the best coaster at WoF.

While I had a great first ride on Prowler, the next three were very jarring and rough. I agree with you in that while it's a decent ride, it's not really worth high praises. Maybe in it's inaugural season when most woodies tend to run their best?

I'd still like to get back to HW to see if I could sneak one of those good rides on Voyage that I see/hear people talk about. ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!