TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Shanghai Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 45: New Zootopia details!

New aerial photo has been posted, showing a bit of 'action' in the new spot where ZOOTOPIA-land is going.

Thanks to DONGDONG for the photo!

You don't have to post EVERY SINGLE PHOTO of the Zootopia construction you find online. There has been almost ZERO progress since the last one you posted.

That procedure for the temperature screening was very interesting to see. I was wondering how a park like this with so many guests (even when at limited capacity) would manage something like that without massive lines at the gate. Thanks for sharing.

I think this version of sitting with your own party makes way more sense than that picture of that other park that had people seated by themselves in every row in alternating sides on that coaster.

I don't see myself going to any parks this year at this point though, I'd rather just wait until we move past all this.

Tickets for the early days of Shanghai Disneyland's reopening are selling out in minutes. Whoo boy, it's going to be very interesting once the U.S. parks reopen.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-disney-shanghai/shanghai-disneyland-tickets-sell-out-as-park-prepares-to-re-open-idUSKBN22K0N6?fbclid=IwAR3LKqhe4hgGLwnLJGHHMckg4myuN19GKewkLpX9xpyCMSG162whL6h6O6M

Tickets for the early days of Shanghai Disneyland's reopening are selling out in minutes. Whoo boy, it's going to be very interesting once the U.S. parks reopen.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-disney-shanghai/shanghai-disneyland-tickets-sell-out-as-park-prepares-to-re-open-idUSKBN22K0N6?fbclid=IwAR3LKqhe4hgGLwnLJGHHMckg4myuN19GKewkLpX9xpyCMSG162whL6h6O6M

Yeah it's going to be very interesting. I'm interested to see how Disney (and others) handle passholders, I mean even if passholders have unlimited access but have to have a reservation, and the reservation are all gone in minutes after they're released however far in advance they're available it's realistic that you can have an annual pass and not really be able to use it. Especially if the only time you can go is on weekends.

I know a lot of the seasonal parks have already validated passes through 2021 so it's not as big of an issue, but for the operators that haven't, lets say they re-open in June and extend everyone's passes 3 or 4 months but if you can't hardly get a reservation for the next 5 months because of the capacity restrictions the extension doesn't really help much. Going to be very interesting.

3 1/2 month shutdown, 30% government attendance limit, and a temporary self-imposed further limit. Immediate sellout for reopening day Monday & first open Saturday, but availability remained for first Friday and second week, it appears. Will be interesting to compare with WDW and others.

agreed. . gonna be interesting!

"Variety" is covering this too:

https://variety.com/2020/biz/asia/shanghai-disneyland-tickets-reopening-1234601649/

I was wondering how a park like this with so many guests (even when at limited capacity) would manage something like that without massive lines at the gate.

You've never been to an Asian Disney park, have you? There are mile-long lines at the gate every single morning well before the park opens. The parks will probably just have the temperature monitor stations set up as far from the gate as possible and have them up and running at 5am daily.

I was wondering how a park like this with so many guests (even when at limited capacity) would manage something like that without massive lines at the gate.

You've never been to an Asian Disney park, have you? There are mile-long lines at the gate every single morning well before the park opens. The parks will probably just have the temperature monitor stations set up as far from the gate as possible and have them up and running at 5am daily.

No, I haven’t unfortunately. However, I was concerned because I knew they get long lines already as-is (I remember the news articles from SHDL’s opening) and was thinking that adding a temperature station where each guest needs to be stopped would create lines from hell.

Edit: I know what the system that will be used is and that's it's automated. I am talking about what my initial reactions when the rumor of temperature checks to enter the park first popped up - before we knew it would be automated.

Edited by RollerManic

If the temperature checks are anything like at the Shanghai airport, it takes literally one second per person to scan. It’s all automated and quite efficient. I imagine it’ll be similar, but the real factor will be how many lanes they employ.

i've wasted about two hours of my life watching this girl enjoy her day around the park. she actually got lucky and got her reservations for 10:30 yesterday. she assumed someone must have cancelled. she also said you had to use the first one before getting another.

there was basically no lines. she walked in to qr code check, security, and main gate. waked on Tron. mask stayed on fine. watched the short two float character parade.

anyway, i'd have no issue going to the park the way it's being shown on her video. but, i assume the guest are not going to behave anywhere near like they are in Shanghai.

100% agreed with both of y'all in that I'd TOTALLY go under these conditions! (I too watched a bunch of stuff people have posted, mainly a twitter feed that Robb recommended).

also agreed that USA guests "are not going to behave anywhere near like they are in Shanghai". . . but at least I would HOPE that those that make an effort to pre-arrange things on their trips might be slightly better behaved / more willing to follow rules - than I think the attendees will be at some other park chains that are going to try these measures.

fingers crossed that Americans prove me wrong and we can all get back to enjoying things, even tho the way we enjoy will be slightly different!

These "restrictions" actually sound incredible to me.

I can't wait for this to come to America. Imagine being able to watch Happily ever After with tons of personal space or waiting in lines without having to be packed in with tons of people on those Florida summer days with 700% humidity.

Remind me again why people feel like any of this is an inconvenience. I'd pay a premium for a lot of these "inconveniences".

Edited by coasterbill

One of the issues with our public over here is that people have trouble with rules. "The rules don't apply to me or my family", or, "It doesn't affect me so why should I care", they say. They see rules for the greater good as a restriction of freedoms and "liberties" and therefore choose to ignore them. I do think these people are in the minority though, even though they tend to scream the loudest.

I anticipate that once the "Reservation only" system goes into place over here, we're going to have a whole lot of people who are going to attempt to "barge in" or "sneak in" without a reservation. And when they don't get in, they'll cry and whine and pull the "are you going to say no to my children" card.

Despite the Chinese Disney-going public being just as hungry for a day at the park as we are, they appear to be a lot more disciplined.

I really hope there is a 3 strike policy or some sort of consequence for taking masks off/not following instructions. Stupid people need to know they're not special and don't have to follow rules because they want mask free selfies and other bullshit.

so i ended up watching 6 plus hours of a girl's live stream from her day at the park. i only wish the parks in America are going to be the same. incredibly low attendance because of the cap, crazy friendly cast members, and totally respectful guests.

Was there any signage about kids? Kids are the ultimate wildcard. You can't tell parents to keep them in strollers or on a leash But how 3-8 year olds are going to be kept in check not spreading germs everywhere has to be thought through..

Was there any signage about kids? Kids are the ultimate wildcard. You can't tell parents to keep them in strollers or on a leash But how 3-8 year olds are going to be kept in check not spreading germs everywhere has to be thought through..

while watching the video what stood out most, very few strollers. she kept commenting how the kids wore masks. the ones i remember seeing in the video were all calm, not running around wild or anything. but of course, it was just her perspective.

while watching the video what stood out most, very few strollers. she kept commenting how the kids wore masks.

These are just Asian culture staples already, though. You're hard pressed to find strollers or ECVs in any Chinese or Japanese Disney park and they don't stigmatize face masks like us "muh freedumbs" idiots in America.

Time to get over to Shanghai Disneyland, Elissa!

New Chip n Dale Merchandise at Shanghai Disneyland

Chip n Dale are the most popular characters at Shanghai Disneyland. So much so that they now have their own store full of exclusive merchandise called “Chip & Dale’s Trading Post”. My acorn loving heart is singing! This cute store (is) a chipmunk lovers paradise.

Paradise, I say!

And this link https://tdrexplorer.com/chip-n-dale-merchandise-shanghai-disneyland-2020/

(Thanks!) goes to more information, photos, and a great little video on Chip & Dale's new shop!

chip-n-dale-trading-post.jpg.f0774bc71fc90bcac802ee13b274ae2a.jpg

Where can I get those awesome over-hanging ACORNS?!!

I've had a lot of messages about this store. I'm just glad the rodents are finally getting the love and attention they deserve. Heck, if we keep having to stay at home at least I can save up some extra money for souvenirs when we can finally go!!