TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Tokyo Disney Resort Discussion Thread

p. 78 - TONS of new Fantasy Springs info!

Due to be in Japan 3/26-4/6 so watching this very closely. Hoping the next few weeks goes well, no huge spread, and the parks are able to reopen. Interestingly enough, while TDR and USJ are closed, it looks like Nagashima is still open.

Of course, with United scaling back flights, if Delta follows suit my decision might be made for me. For now, it's wait and see what happens around March 15th! I still intend on going if possible

Looks like most of the Japanese cases are linked to people who came from China, no real community spread yet. I agree I think this is Japan just being extra cautious for a few weeks before the busy season and Olympics start, which is why I have some hope things will reopen!

How much "community transmission" Japan has may become clear in the next week or two. Diamond Princess cruise ship probably increased this (some people were allowed to leave the ship without going into quarantine). Their government shutting down schools suggests deep concern.

Lots of articles at JapanToday.com - English language Japanese press

https://japantoday.com/category/sports/sports-events-held-in-empty-stadiums-in-japan-amid-virus-outbreak

Sports events held in empty stadiums due to virus outbreak

also

Japan schools may be shut longer depending on coronavirus outbreak: health minister

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-health-japan-education/japan-schools-may-be-shut-longer-depending-on-coronavirus-outbreak-health-minister-idUSKCN20M02U

Community spread here in USA includes cases this week in California and Oregon seemingly unconnected to travel. The Oregon case today is someone who works for an elementary school in a Portland suburb. The school is now closed until Wednesday (at least).

• 2 weeks later...

I didn’t see an announcement on the official English site to quote but bbc is reporting this and here is the olc announcement in Japanese http://www.olc.co.jp/ja/news/news_olc/20200311_1/main/0/link/20200311.pdf

1C9F2FBB-DFFF-440D-857A-C38B9DAF03B5.thumb.png.044a74465571bba03c31a42431e43dda.png

Edit: The site has now updated with the news and confirmation that Beauty and the Beast's opening will be delayed as well. I've also quoted the part that includes closures:

As a precautionary measure in line with prevention efforts taking place across Japan and in response to the recommendations of appropriate authorities, Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea will remain closed through early April out of consideration for the health and safety of our guests and cast members. We remain in close contact with related government agencies about the situation and will provide updates as the situation changes.

Please note that the Grand Opening of the new area in Tokyo Disneyland scheduled for April 15, 2020 is postponed to mid-May 2020 or beyond.

1. Special events, programs, shows and facilities that are scheduled to end or permanently close during the temporary closure period.

The following special events, programs, shows and facilities will end or close as planned:

Ending on March 19,2020

Very Very Minnie! (Tokyo Disneyland)

Pixar Playtime (Tokyo DisneySea)

Duffy and Friends’ Heartwarming Days (Tokyo DisneySea)

- Special event merchandise and menu items with souvenirs will be made available after the special event period has ended. Information on sales period, location and method will be posted on the Tokyo Disney Resort Official Website as soon as it becomes available.

Closing on March 25,2020

Fantasmic! (Tokyo DisneySea)

Closing on March 31,2020

Lilo’s Luau & Fun (Tokyo Disneyland)

Jungle Rhythms (Tokyo Disneyland)

Robo Astro (Tokyo Disneyland)

Ariel’s Greeting Grotto (Tokyo DisneySea)

2. Special events and programs that were scheduled to begin during the temporary closure period.

To be determined

Disney Easter (Tokyo DisneySea)

CookieAnn’s Greeting Drive (Tokyo DisneySea)

- Details will be announced after the Park reopens

Source

Ugh. The Japanese are going to lose their shit over not being able to properly say goodbye to some of the events/shows ending!!! I feel it was probably the right decision to extend a bit (like USJ is also doing) but I'm bummed about pushing all of the new stuff back as well. It would be silly to close for two weeks and reopen when stuff is still messed up and then end up having to close back down again. China has shown us that this can be brought under control and get better, it just takes time.

• 5 weeks later...

Probably not a surprise to anyone considering Tokyo is one of the areas declared a state of emergency but Tokyo Disney have extended their closure and will access again in mid-May with the Beauty and the Beast area not getting an opening date announcement until after the parks reopen:

The temporary closures of Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea have been extended in light of the increasing spread of the new coronavirus (COVID-19) and in response to the requests from the Japanese government and local authorities.

The reopening of the Parks, which had been planned for April 20 or beyond, has been extended further. The reopening date will be determined in mid-May, after which a new announcement will be sent out. Additionally, the opening of the Tokyo Disneyland Expansion new area will be determined and announced once the Parks have reopened

Source

Here's the official OLC announcement: http://www.olc.co.jp/ja/news/news_olc/20200409_2_01/main/0/link/20200409.pdf

I put this in the Cirque du Soleil thread, but I felt it deserves to be seen here, too.

Cirque is going to stream, in under 15 minutes, a one hour special based on the sadly departed (and awesome ~ I saw it in 2011 before it closed) production of ZED! Starts at 8-EST...5-PST.

Here's the link to it: https://youtu.be/3zuBpFgxDCI

(Over 22,000 people are waiting for it to start! And me, lol. And counting...)

M12_ZED_Souvenirs.jpg.5beca66ed76eca6288f85de991a9507e.jpg

My souvenirs from ZED, when I saw it in 2011 at TDLR.

ZedTDLcirquedesoleil.jpg.0d2827f9098355dd1df782430cebe782.jpg

...and I have the wonderful ZED soundtrack, too.

98650469_ResizeofIMG_2888.JPG.19cba102e080edf4d826e1db9e52fbff.JPG

The home that Cirque/TDLR built, for ZED. TPR 2011 Japan Tour.

^ omg - wow - omg - wow - it brought back so many memories

of the 90 minute production I saw, back in 2011.

And over 44,00 people watched it! Cool. When I saw the performance space , it all came

rushing back to me, how awesome just the theatre looked. So arena-like, and cavernous.

I loved it. Hope all of you who saw it, did too.

^^ That's pretty cool. The Trapeze act from Zed is the best I've ever seen, and funny story about it, that act was sent to Mystere in Vegas after Zed shut down. It replaced the High Bar act that used to be in the show. Same music, but the routine has, of course, changed over time. The acrobats are a great group of people, as well. For those that don't know, I used to work at Mystere as an automation tech. That trapeze setup was the second-most complicated scenic element in the theatre, but it broke down the least, funnily enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing I remember about this production, is how it has, for lack of a better word, de-volved

into this one hour online special we watched. The production of it I saw back in June of 2011, was a 90 minute,

one act version of the original show. And that...

...That has been for me, the best legendary trivia about Cirque I could ever dream up, lol!

For it seems that when ZED first premiered in that theatre, it was a two act production.

But eventually, it got around to the producers of it, that most of the entire audience (mainly local) was

leaving the building during Intermission! It seems a lot of them had never been to a show that had two acts,

and an intermission...... Who knew?!

So they trimmed it down to what I saw in 2011. 90 min. I had the program along to follow this

online version of it, and know of two acts that didn't appear in this version. And that was okay.

It certainly didn't take away, any of the intensity that I saw there, the other day. Good for them!

Bonus ZED Trivia! I forgot to mention. The day I saw it, I was in queue to get my tickets. I had an online copy

with the right # on it, in my hand. One of who looked like Security, came up to me, and asked me

if she could see my ticket. One second of a look, and she asked me if I could follow her... please?

What she did, was VIP me to the front of the queue to get into the building, AND get a discount coupon

on merch I bought in their Gift Shop! No drink or snack perks, but that was okay. And then...

....Then, I find out. Not only does a rather large part of the section I am in, devoid of an audience,

(to my right) I am sharing part of my row with seven+ people...all from the 2011 TPR Japan Tour!

Apparently, we have all bought tickets for the same night and section, from around the world,

and they put us all together... in the same row.

That was something to enjoy in how random the world works, at times.

(Blissing out on FANTASMIC! soundtrack from DisneySea. We saw it in 2013.)

E06_EmmaMeEars_TDL.jpg.0d6788af4853ff813c47238b06c6bf4d.jpg

Emma and me. She was heading over to see the next ZED show. And I had just returned from seeing it!

And note, TDLR wasn't selling any EARS at that time. Only headbands, like I have on. Now they do, tho.

http://www.tdrexplorer.com just posted a few photos of the

ongoing construction of the new-to-be Toy Story Hotel at TDLR.

There’s a lot coming to Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea that it’s easy to overlook the new Toy Story Hotel being built. Set to open in fiscal 2021, this new value hotel is next-door to the popular Hilton Tokyo Bay.

There’s not much to see at the moment, but it’s still exciting to know there are more new things coming to Resort. Of course, we need the Parks to reopen first and open the new Beauty and the Beast attraction. Until then we can enjoy these construction photos.

Thanks for the update and photos, TDR Explorer!

By the way, from the views I'm seeing, from all the new Fantasy Springs/Hotel construction, to this new hotel going up, I feel that the next time we (hopefully) check into the Tokyo Bay Hilton....we're going to get the ocean/water view side room. Any "park views" that are possible from such rooms, are going to have a lot of attractions' show buildings in those views...and the castle fireworks when they happen.

Just a thought on that.

ToyStoryHotel01.jpg.f06c0cca9592c40060facc5c152f0f4d.jpg

Photo taken from the Bayside Monorail Stn.

ToyStoryHotel01a.jpg.e23b08d159e6d5a350cd67ffa63940a3.jpg

Closer shot.

ToyStoryHotel02.jpg.302808636aa2eb111de6e9894af64ed6.jpg

From the back. And the Bay-viewing side we'll hope to get for our future Tokyo Bay Hilton room. (o;

The temporary closures of Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea have been extended in response to the state of infections of the new coronavirus (COVID-19) as well as requests from the government and local municipalities.

The reopening of the Parks was to be decided in mid-May; however, based on the extension of the state of emergency declaration, hereafter, the decision on the reopening date will be made and announced once the requests from Government and local municipalities have been lifted.

Additionally, the opening date for the Tokyo Disneyland major expansion area will be determined once the situation can be gauged after reopening both parks.

Source

• 1 month later...

Construction continues on the new Fantasy Springs in TDS...

Tangled01.png.44d72af21295ed4119838501f7693b4a.png

The Tangled attraction show building rises. I am hoping that this tall section of the building,

will be for the big lanterns-in-the-sky scene, from the movie.

Expansion23.png.991537ae3bb19ea9a6473e8786220ba9.png

In perspective...Tangled is in back-left, and to the right is Peter Pan's GI-normous show building.

Thanks to whoever took these shots, from the wonderful Tokyo Disneyland Monorail! (o:

• 2 weeks later...

^ Then, they can blow 2nd-hand smoke into each others' faces..... more safely.

You gotta give Tokyo Disney credit, for thinking of the smokers in the world.

And for the record, I used to be a smoker (up to 2015)*, so the spot was appreciated.

* Now, I am more of a drinker. Ha ha.

• 2 weeks later...

Night shot of lighting (test?) on The Beast's Castle.

fantasyland-expansion42.jpg.f970b8ca67c36271afe7e8c5f4d9e874.jpg

Thanks to tdrexplorer.com for the photo. And....aren't CRANES Good Luck in Japan? (o; (It's to the left of the castle.)

• 3 weeks later...
Tokyo, July 30 (Jiji Press)--Oriental Land Co. <4661>, the operator of Tokyo Disney Resort theme parks, on Thursday posted a record quarterly net loss for April-June, as sales plunged due to their closures amid the coronavirus outbreak.

The company swung to a consolidated net loss of 24,871 million yen in the fiscal first quarter from a profit of 22,923 million yen a year before.

The previous record loss was 3.8 billion yen marked in April-June in 2011 in the aftermath of a massive earthquake and tsunami in March that year.

Oriental Land closed the Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea parks in Urayasu, Chiba Prefecture, east of Tokyo, for four months from late February due to the outbreak.

The company saw its sales tumble 94.9 pct from a year earlier to 6,164 million yen. It booked 21.1 billion in extraordinary loss related to costs from the closures, including leave allowances.

Source

• 4 weeks later...

And construction continues on Fantasy Springs in TDS...

disneysea-expansion-parkingLot5o.png.93056cd6fb84e70d2354f804f75f9ffb.png

Overview with Peter Pan show building in the middle. Photos from the net, thanks whoever took them.

disneysea-expansion-parkingLot5p.jpg.5958c95a50422e112ff9c8c780fbdfc4.jpg

Fantasy Springs Hotel in front; Frozen-Land in back (with the Beauty/Beast blue "mountains" above the Frozen show bldg).

• 4 weeks later...

NEW UPDATE: The opening of the new Beauty and the Beast ride at Tokyo Disneyland and its expansion is confirmed to open September 28, 2020! This includes (hopefully) the new Minnie Meet & Greet; The Happy Ride w/Baymax; and most importantly...the new POPCORN shop, called The Big Pop! The new live stage show (and theatre) is not part of this opening, and will open later on.

More on this from tdrexplorer.com ~ https://tdrexplorer.com/beauty-and-the-beast-tokyo-disneyland/

Expansion19.png.de4e03c45030c9dfba12969cdad11539.png

...and I just found two photos released by Disney, on the Beauty/Beast Attraction!

Expansion20.png.4a464f39dbbe511ca25807fa391739ae.png

This is the unload area of the attraction.

Expansion21.png.1850ccacbf25c1dc9703341a5a8a6f57.png

The "Be Our Guest" part of the attraction. And you can see Belle at the end of the table!

Edited by Nrthwnd
  • Like 1