Funtown Spashtown Discussion Thread

Funtown Splashtown closed for 2020
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Full Fledged Donkey Enthusiast!

Re: Funtown Spashtown Discussion Thread

Postby mary.pesik » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:41 am

Astrosphere: the original Cyborg Hyper Drive, except with ELO instead of "I can't let you do that, Victor"
Batman: The Ride is therapy to me.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:17 pm

Funtown USA will not be opening for the 2020 season and if the pandemic extends into 2021, they fear they'll have to close for good.

No splashdown at Funtown this summer due to the coronavirus pandemic

Owners of Funtown Splashtown USA in Saco say the coronavirus, COVID-19 pandemic has forced closure, which will break its six decades-long opening string

SACO, Maine — One of the largest amusement parks, and employer of teenage workers in Maine is not planning on opening its gates this summer, due to the coronavirus, COVID-19 pandemic.

After 60 consecutive years, the Funtown Splashtown USA will not operate this summer, according to the park's owner, Kevin Cormier.

The decision to remain closed was made earlier Wednesday due to evolving state COVID-19 protocols, which include the limitation on large gatherings through June - and at the national level – the impacts on hiring temporary workers through the J-1 Visa program.

For those reasons, the Funtown Splashtown would not be ready to open in time.

The park has been a mainstay attraction in Maine since the 1960s.

The history, according to the Funtown Splashtown website, "In 1960, on a then remote stretch of U.S. Route 1 in Saco, Maine, Ken and Violet Cormier opened Marvel Drive In, a drive in restaurant. Ken’s brother-in-law, Andre Dallaire opened a mini-golf course next to Marvel Drive-In in 1959. In 1963, Andre opened a Go-kart track behind his mini golf course, and in 1964 Ken added batting cages and an archery range behind Marvel Drive In. Over the course of the next few years, Cormier and Dallaire added several kiddie and carnival-style rides including SkySlides and Swinging Gyms. A gift shop was also opened. In 1967, Cormier and Dallaire form a partnership and Funtown USA is born, adding a “Zipper”, outdoor bumper cars, Merry-Go-Round, and the “Luv Machine” (Bayun Kurve). The Zipper was located where the Cash Cube is now. The outdoor bumper cars where replaced by the bumper car building. If you look at the area around the bumper cars, you can still see the original concrete pad for the outdoor bumper cars. The “Luv Machine” was only at the park a short time, and was located where the Red Baron Planes are now."

Current owner Kevin Cormier told NEWS CENTER Maine, if the pandemic lasts into 2021, Funtown Splashtown may be forced to close for good.

https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/no-splashdown-at-funtown-this-summer-due-to-the-coronavirus-pandemic/97-a745e832-3c09-4785-a2d5-0d996e301181
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Pavilion Park/Broadway at the Beach & Free Fall Thrill Park, Myrtle SkyWheel, & Mini Golf

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby cparkes92 » Sun May 03, 2020 4:55 pm

I wonder if RCDB will eventually get around to updating Excalibur and Wild Mouse to be SBNO. However, it took over a full year after it last operated for Green Lantern @ SFMM to be listed as SBNO
Top 10 steel: Steel Vengeance, Millennium Force, Maverick, Mako, Incredible Hulk, Banshee, Diamondback, Raptor, SheiKra, Montu
Top 10 wood: Mystic Timbers, Shivering Timbers, Beast, Racer (KI), Viper, American Eagle, Woodstock Express, Blue Streak (CP), Mean Streak (RIP), Wolverine Wildcat

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun May 03, 2020 6:46 pm

I figure they will.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Pavilion Park/Broadway at the Beach & Free Fall Thrill Park, Myrtle SkyWheel, & Mini Golf

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!