TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread

^ Oh there are definitely going to be mechanical or magnetic brakes, that's not even a question. That wedge won't take much force to create an impressive wave.

Edit - looking at it again and knowing the system is called Big WaveZ (as in plural) I'm gonna say this is a Frog Hopper system, only bigger, with the water element added. Imagine the car bobbing in the water creating a few smaller waves, then jumping high and making a huge wave, e.t.c.

per the Luna Park site announcing it was coming soon (from Jan)..there's a video screen up there at the top, that will "interact with the riders, making each ride different"

so yeah.. I suspect multiple drops.

At 1:47 in this video, they are testing the prototype for the Big WaveZ. This looks like a real hoot! I really hope that Six Flags starts putting these at some of their parks, especially since so many of them are starting to remove their Shoot the Chutes rides.

Edited by larrygator

Oh wow, that'll definitely soak you through.

AY AY AY! (Or as local Coney Islanders might put it: OY OY OY!) IF Big WaveZ totally drenches you - as it looks like it very likely will - I think I'd stuff ALL my clothes in a fluffy fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo and ride nekked. Hopefully, there will be a hot-air blowing sauna as waterlogged guests exit/egress the ride!!!

Alice ("Team Coney")

Considering there will be a lot of people coming from the beach, I think the complete soaking will work well.

As for me, I'd probably try it once and regret my life decision.

bring a poncho!

IMG_0179.thumb.JPG.fbf890f80074eca14d0536880e89baa5.JPG

• 9 months later...

Before the new coaster at Luna Park opens, it seems as if Deno's Wonder Wheel Park is getting a brand new custom Vekoma suspended family coaster for the 2021 season! From the article on USA Today;

Denos.thumb.jpg.382366e4b6c2b76e3d5a5cc34d236036.jpg
Phoenix at Deno’s Wonder Wheel Amusement Park, Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York

Deno’s was never able to open in 2020 and celebrate the 100th anniversary of its famed Wonder Wheel. Nevertheless, the park’s owners are making their biggest investment ever with Phoenix, a suspended family thrill coaster. Why are they taking the risk?

“It’s an important time to rebuild,” says Deno “DJ” Vourderis, a third-generation member of the family that owns and operates the park. “We’re betting on the future of New York City and Coney Island.”

The historic amusement area, which played a critical role in the development of roller coasters, had about 30 thrill machines at its height. Nearly all of them closed as Coney Island suffered setbacks. The resilient seaside haven has been on the upswing lately, and coasters once again line the boardwalk. Phoenix will take its place alongside newer rides such as Thunderbolt as well as the classic Cyclone.

At 68 feet tall and a top speed of about 34 mph, the custom-designed coaster will occupy a sweet spot. It will deliver thrills, but it will be accessible to younger children and those who might be intimidated by bigger, faster rides. One element will be an extremely banked turn. “It’ll be about as upside down as you can go for a family coaster,” Vourderis says.

The name, Phoenix, represents the sensation of flight that the suspended coaster will deliver. Its trains will hang beneath the tracks, and passengers will soar through the course on floorless, ski lift-like cars with their feet dangling. But, according to Vourderis, the name also signifies rebirth.

“When this (pandemic) is all over, I think we will have another Roaring '20s,” he says. “We will most certainly rise from the ashes and give birth to the best of times at Coney Island.”

According to the artist rendering, it looks like this will go in the spots formerly occupied by the old 12th Street Amusements such as the Ghost Hole, Saturn 6, and Polar Express. If this is anything like the Dragon Flier at Dollywood, it should be a perfect fit for the park, a low height requirement, and tons of fun for all ages!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, njcoasterguy34 said:

I thought Vekoma's new coasters were supposed to be quite smooth compared to their older hang-and-bang ones.

They are. Dragon Flier at Dollywood is butter smooth. No OTSRs, just a lapbar in a comfortable bucket seat. He's saying the Zamperlas are janky (not going to disagree there) and the Cyclone (which has actually been running pretty great the past few years I've gotten rides on it).

• Like 1

Wow, SOMETHING new at the Wonder Wheel park. That's a surprise.

Also, I hope they refine the system of how you can ride everything at at least one of the parks . Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall, just like Luna Park, it costs $1 per ticket at Deno's- and multiple tickets to go on rides. The last time I went to Coney Island & rode Thunderbolt it technically cost me $10 for one ride. I hate hate HATE that system of how smaller parks do it. I know that Luna Park has that thing where you can ride everything for 6 hours for one lump sum or whatever, but it still feels unnecessary, I don't know.

1 hour ago, Zack44 said:

I know that Luna Park has that thing where you can ride everything for 6 hours for one lump sum or whatever, but it still feels unnecessary, I don't know.

For the past several years Luna Park has had a pay-one-price plan that lasts all day, not just a set block of time like it was when they first introduced the wristbands. Not sure yet what Deno's is going to do but I would guess that they'll stick with the individual tickets per ride as they just don't have that many non-kiddie rides to make it worth it.

• A.J. changed the title to Coney Island (Luna Park / Deno's) Development Discussion Thread
19 hours ago, coneyislandchris said:

For the past several years Luna Park has had a pay-one-price plan that lasts all day, not just a set block of time like it was when they first introduced the wristbands. Not sure yet what Deno's is going to do but I would guess that they'll stick with the individual tickets per ride as they just don't have that many non-kiddie rides to make it worth it.

And if you're willing to brave possibly horrific crowds, they usually do a $5-10 unlimited wristband special opening weekend.  But having done that once, I'd prefer to pay extra for a regular summer day when everything is a walk-on.