TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT Discussion Thread)

p. 375: Phoenix Rising family inverted coaster announced for 2024!

It depends when in November.

I've been to central Florida in early November when it was quite pleasant and other times where it was hot and humid and the "feels like" temperature was almost 100 at 2am.

Late November should be nicer but if it's Thanksgiving weekend it will also be more crowded.

I think Iron Gwazi's opening will be delayed now. Safety of park staff, RMC crew, customers / guests, everyone is more important than the construction schedule.

Yeah, we should just shut down all of Tampa for a few months. None of the 1.7 million people living in those two counties should show go to work.

Yeah really. Kind of tired of the panic over Covid-19 when there are waaaay more serious things to be concerned about, like this year's flu that the vaccine isn't really helping with, or climate change, or a thousand other concerns that are far more pressing.

Seattle is shutting down schools, events, sports, etc., they are the epicenter of the disease in the US, today. Their state virologist said a few days ago there might be 600 cases simmering undetected, which means a few thousand today. Since the incubation time is long and most people don't get a bad case, counting precisely is impossible.

Lots and lots of concerts, festivals, movie shooting, conferences being canceled or postponed, too many to count and growing exponentially (just like the virus).

It's been estimated that Italy may have between 50,000 and 100,000 cases today. Not the numbers officially reported but the ones in latency yet to surface. Their hospitals are getting overloaded with sick people. For those who get a bad case - maybe 5 to 10 percent - it's two to three weeks in the hospital to prevent your lungs from being ruined. That is worse than flu.

A friend works for the local hospital and he says they are totally unprepared for a huge surge of sick people. The first few will get good care but the rest won't.

There are drugs that seem to eradicate the virus - remdesivir (experimental) and chloroquine (used against malaria, but has side effects). However they are not ready to be loaded on pallets to be sent to hot spots like Seattle, Europe, Iran, South Korea, Japan, Thailand ... so the spread has to be slowed to buy time.

This is NOT a political post, merely an observation that theme parks are going to be economic casualties in this. But it is stoppable with behavior changes, even more than technology. There are two ways to catch the carnivorous coronavirus: you breathe someone's cough or droplets when you are close, or you touch some of their emissions and then your fingers inadvertantly transport it into your mouth.

I'm trying to be respectful and helpful here, don't want to be banned, but this is more important than worrying about that.

Waiting in lines would be a great way to spread it. Sorry.

A time-out is needed to stop / slow the spread.

it won't be the parks making the decision later this month, it's going to be forced. Sorry.

The coasters will still be after the pandemic ends and we can then celebrate the opening of RMC's masterpiece. I like the photo of the last rail.

A few health tips (beyond washing your hands).

Hot tea inactivates the virus and keeps you hydrated. If you ingest virus by mistake, sending it to the stomach (acids) is better than to your lungs.

Elderberry and cordyceps mushroom are thought to prevent its replication, according to Chinese scientists who are very busy right now. Good nutrition, sleep, having a well functioning immune system, staying away from junk food, no preexisting problems, youth are all good factors for having minimal to moderate symptoms.

I'm curious how BGT plans to care for their animal during the hiatus. Probably like a hurricane except a longer duration.

I'm more concerned about how poorer countries will handle this. India today shut down export of pharmaceuticals that the US health system is totally dependent upon.

We could be in for a bumpier ride than an old Arrow corkscrew. OK, dumb joke ...

Karen on Facebook told me to use Lavender Oils I can get from her totally not MLM business she has going.

So I plan on doing that whilst also putting raw potato slices in my socks to pull out any toxins from my body while I visit parks.

I am also knitting surgical masks for anyone interested.

I think we'll see testing pretty soon. When they had the media event last month someone (maybe Robb?) posted footage inside the station and trains were on track, electric was hooked up, etc. Hopefully that means they'll roll trains soon.

I think we'll see testing pretty soon. When they had the media event last month someone (maybe Robb?) posted footage inside the station and trains were on track, electric was hooked up, etc. Hopefully that means they'll roll trains soon.
I agree but will say it seems that wooden and hybrid coasters are not just finished when the last piece of track goes in like with most steel coasters. I've seen a lot of pics lately of workers up in the different structures of the ride adding support bracing, tightening bolts, etc. that takes some extra time. Hopefully testing gets going in a week or so. Can't wait to see what this thing looks like in action!

^^While I would have also said that there's no way they started testing today so clearly... what do I know?, I feel like there's still no way they open a ride after 5 days of testing.

Iron Gwazi just completed a test run, less than a day after the last piece of track was placed.

I just watched that guy's Instagram story and saw the video and I just wanted to pause and offer my condolences to the victims of the magnitude 11 earthquake that evidently hit the Tampa metro area at the time of filming.

Edited by coasterbill

^^While I would have also said that there's no way they started testing today so clearly... what do I know?, I feel like there's still no way they open a ride after 5 days of testing.

Iron Gwazi just completed a test run, less than a day after the last piece of track was placed.

I just watched that guy's Instagram story and saw the video and I just wanted to pause and offer my condolences to the victims of the magnitude 11 earthquake that evidently hit the Tampa metro area at the time of filming.

LMAO seriously.

The back seat through that barrel roll thingy wtf yo.

Dear lord I think I had a seizure trying to watch that.

Can't wait for some good footage. Unbelievable it's running already.