TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Resort Non-Park Discussion Thread

• 4 weeks later...

Jaleo has sent us a press release announcing the start of the restaurant's Truffle Festival, marked by the introduction of a special menu of truffle-laced options! They have also sent us details about their one-night-only Truffle & Wine Dinner, a multi-course dinner with Spanish truffles shaved tableside by Jaleo chefs and Spanish wine pairings!

811623318_Trufflebread(1).thumb.jpg.9949e96e91b66c4022c69a44c39c5737.jpg

We are happy to share that Jaleo's famous Truffle Festival is headed to Disney Springs, starting TODAY January 30th! Join Jaleo as we celebrate the exquisite Spanish black truffle with special dishes and sommelier-selected wine pairings, available for a limited time at Jaleo at Disney Springs. Flown straight from the Spanish city of Teruel the day they’re discovered by truffle-hunting dogs, these black truffles are as fresh as it gets. Make your reservation today to explore our unique collections of delicious, decadent dishes.

Jaleo Disney Springs Truffle Festival Menu:

• “Cristal Bread” acorn pork pancetta, black truffle - Pan de cristal, panceta Ibérica curada, Trufa negra
  • Setas Salteadas, cremoso de patata, Huevo , trufa negra - Sauteed muhrooms , potato puree, slow cooked with black truffle
  • Arroz de Pato Jean Louis Palladin con Trufa Negra - Duck rice in Honor of “Jean Louis Palladin” Black truffles
  • Tarta de queso con trufa - Vasc cheesecake with truffles

https___cdn.evbuc.com_images_88006285_220991789200_1_original.jpg.e4dac9fc896b659670aa70841b42a920.jpg

We are thrilled to share that Jaleo at Disney Springs is hosting a special one-night-only event. On Wed, Feb 12, 2020, 6:30 PM, guests can experience interactive class on truffles followed by an exclusive multi-course dinner with Spanish truffles shaved tableside by Jaleo chefs and Spanish wine pairings.

Each winter, Nacho Ramirez and his specially trained truffle-hunting dog Pepe search the Spanish countryside in pursuit of the best black truffles – about six months old, mouthwateringly fragrant, buried in the rich soil. Nacho will be flying these truffles to Jaleo at Disney Springs the day they're discovered, where they will be the star ingredient in nine dishes created by Jaleo Culinary Director Ramon Martinez and Head Chef Rodolfo Guzman. Expertly paired wines have been hand-selected by Jaleo Sommelier Rafael Delgado and ThinkFoodGroup Sommelier Jordi Paronella to accent the flavors and textures of each dish.

This event is one-night-only and we are currently not hosting media for this event.

To purchase tickets to this exclusive one-night-only event, visit:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/truffle-wine-dinner-tickets-90172928657?aff=press

MENU:

• Tartaleta de colifor con trufas, Coca de cristal con panceta iberica y truffles Croqueta partida con trufa
    Paired with cuvee jose raventos i blanc

• Tartar de Carabineros con trufa - Southern Spain cardenal prawns tartar with truffles
    Paired with manzanilla pasada pastrana

• Tortilla 2.0 con trufas - Spanish potato omelette NEW WAY with truffles
    Paired with maximin grünhäus, riesling abtsberg spätlese

• Canelón de setas silvestres con trufas - Wild mushroom canelón with porccini and truffles
    Paired with as sortes 2016 bodegas palacios

• Arroz de carrillera iberica de bellota , con alcachofas , y trufas - Iberico de bellota paella with artichokes morels and truffles
    Paired with valbuena vega sicilia 2014

• Pan con chocolate, aceite y trufas
    Paired with lustau east india solera

• Helado de leche de cabra con trufas

1723588988_truffles-7(1).thumb.jpg.629df52bb5dd1a0eb2eb290e1d64e1ec.jpg

Whoever the first person to see one of those and say "You know what, I'm going to put that in my mouth" is a braver person than I'll ever be

Wait until you think about how we discovered cow's milk.

lTIKwvU.gif

^ So that's what truffles actually look like! I've seen them as shavings on food

like that first photo. But never as they looked when first dug up. Cool. And ugly looking.

Agreed. Most truffles appear in our food as shavings or 'flecks.' Over the past year, so many varieties of cheese have popped up with truffle bits. They are indeed tiny, but truffles are so strong that they can really infuse the cheese with flavor! My next project is to get my Shih Tzu into a truffle-hunting class. The heck with Agility & Obedience; I wanna give her a REAL challenge ( & reap the epicurean delights!).

Alice

Can truffles be found, in the U.S.A? Or North America, for that matter? Just curious about it.

And I could just look it up, but I much prefer the more interesting answers from TPR members.

Can truffles be found, in the U.S.A? Or North America, for that matter? Just curious about it.

And I could just look it up, but I much prefer the more interesting answers from TPR members.

You got me curious, too! There are quite a few states surprisingly......including Tennessee, Ca, N.C., Oregon... & B.C! I came across a very interesting article in a past Wall Street Journal issue: https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-elusive-american-black-truffle-1518264060. For a little adventure, you can even join a truffle hunt in some areas! The Truffle Dog Company sponsors guided truffle hunting experiences in truffle season. They take you to an actual truffle patch where guides and their dogs will show you how it's done! (Unfortunately no truffles in NYC, so my dog will just have to enjoy sharing my store-bought truffle cheese with me. No hunting classes, dang! )

Alice

^ omg.... in BC...? Now I must look that up, LOL!

And.... I just did!

Truffles are cultivated on three farms across B.C., where Mediterranean truffles (including Perigord) are grown by cultivating them at the roots of orchard trees, typically hazelnuts trees. While the Italian pure breed dog Lagotto Romagnolo is the most famous for hunting truffles, Berch said any breed has potential. Feb 26, 2019

Apparently grown in the southern part of the province, and on Vancouver Island! I did not know that.

the_more_you_know.gif.e5bcd47bbe927be01f61a368cd6c4fa9.gif

(Pardon this truffle sidebar.)

• 4 weeks later...

So at what point should I be worried my trip in April is in jeopardy due to the coronavirus? With each passing day it's looking more and more likely we will have a larger scale outbreak which worries me that it will peak in a month or so about the time we are scheduled to go.

Nobody knows.

More than 80,000 Americans died of the flu in the winter of 2017-2018. Disney didn't close, it wasn't on the news 24-7 and there was no mass panic. Most Americans didn't even care enough to get a flu shot. No sane individual would have considered canceling their trip. Now? We have 9 deaths, all seniors or people with compromised immune systems and it's the absolute end of the world. We have no idea what the "death rate" is but logic would tell you that it's well below half a percent since it's 0.65% in South Korea just with the cases that they know about but they know that most cases are so mild that people don't even realize that they have it so the rate is almost definitely much lower. As an aside, I always look at their numbers since they have a great healthcare system and it's a larger sample size than most other countries.

For me, the actual concern isn't with the virus itself but the incredible likelihood that Americans will do what they always do and panic for no reason, forcing the parks to close for PR purposes. Unfortunately there's no way to predict what will happen there, but I can tell you that I have zero faith in our ability as a society to be objective or rational at all so I wouldn't be feeling overly optimistic either.

One thing I will say is that if the hysteria continues but the parks stay open (and I hope that they do) I would spend a lot of time leading up to the trip checking that app constantly for great Fastpasses dropping from people canceling their trips in a panic.

Edited by coasterbill

Nobody knows.

More than 80,000 Americans died of the flu in the winter of 2017-2018. Disney didn't close, it wasn't on the news 24-7 and there was no mass panic. Most Americans didn't even care enough to get a flu shot. No sane individual would have considered canceling their trip. Now? We have 9 deaths, all seniors or people with compromised immune systems and it's the absolute end of the world. We have no idea what the "death rate" is but logic would tell you that it's well below half a percent since it's 0.65% in South Korea just with the cases that they know about but they know that most cases are so mild that people don't even realize that they have it so the rate is almost definitely much lower. As an aside, I always look at their numbers since they have a great healthcare system and it's a larger sample size than most other countries.

For me, the actual concern isn't with the virus itself but the incredible likelihood that Americans will do what they always do and panic for no reason, forcing the parks to close for PR purposes. Unfortunately there's no way to predict what will happen there, but I can tell you that I have zero faith in our ability as a society to be objective or rational at all so I wouldn't be feeling overly optimistic either.

One thing I will say is that if the hysteria continues but the parks stay open (and I hope that they do) I would spend a lot of time leading up to the trip checking that app constantly for great Fastpasses dropping from people canceling their trips in a panic.

Post of the year.

Coronavirus is the greatest example of lack of common sense and hysteria created by the media. Hopefully, people will learn that sanitizing their hands and using a mask is not a matter of coronavirus, but a matter of everyday health.

I would also enjoy parks at this time, as they will probably be less crowded, and thus much more enjoyable.

I agree with you about the hysteria. I’m not worried about it myself other than it affecting my trip. Hopefully they stay open and the crowds stay away!

Really? You're not worried about it? Then why do you talk about in every single post you make?

Because he’s worried about the hysteria surround it impacting his trip, which is a legitimate concern. We’re holding off on booking anything non-refundable for our honeymoon in a few months because we’re waiting to see if the world comes to it’s senses by then. I can sympathize.

Edited by coasterbill

So as someone who is in Korea, I can tell you that although there is fear as far as parks are concerned it comes down to money and the economy just as much or maybe even more than fear. Fear just sells more headlines.

We have friends unpaid in the factories of big companies because of a shortage of parts or because one worker came into contact with someone who had the virus and is quarantined and the government wants it closed for decontamination and a precaution. YOu hear of people who were sent to China despite the outbreak on a business trip which couldn't be delayed only to land and find Korea had jumped 600 cases and the China side of the business locking them in the hotel since they've mostly contained theirs to Hubei area (I think they had 11 cases outside the area and 7 of those were actually Chinese tourists who caught it in Italy. The kicker is Korea will also quarantine when they come back for 2 weeks so people will miss almost a month of work.

For example, and I don't say this out of pity but to show why we don't go to the parks in Korea right now, I teach young kids in a private school so one place that is most heavily affected since that is where fear can come into it.

Our school closed the last week of February so parents had to get a refund for that and of course no one paid for March. We were supposed to be closed for 2 weeks but the government 'strongly advised' that schools reopen March 23. But literally, as I typed this the cases here jumped by 500 so I really don't know when I'll be back at work. Nearly 90% of all those cases are in a different area and there's only 100 in the whole of Seoul total throughout this crisis so far but it's enough to shut us down.

I know it was brought up how Tokyo was busy before the shutdown but as far as I'm aware their jobs and economy were business as usual. For a lot of people, not just the education sector, it comes down to: How long will this last? How much unpaid time off will I have to take? Will I have a job to go back to? (Some places have seen a 90% sales drop but still have rent to pay.) Will we end up having to take 2 weeks more unpaid if a student/parent/customer comes into contact with a patient and government shuts the business/shop/school?

I'm not saying this to get pity just giving you an example as someone in an outbreak. For people like me, we cut every unnecessary spending to see our families through (I don't know how many students I'll even have left when I do return to work for this reason) and that includes going to the parks. If you're not getting paid, you're not going to be spending on park tickets. People are going to be looking at their travel plans and seeing if they can still afford it.

On the park's side, all it takes is one infected visitor and they'll be national headlines, a PR crisis, and fear all over their name driving down numbers even more than they are. If the government tells them to close there's a risk of all that, they're going to take it.

I'm starting to think we need a coronavirus thread listing closures and where people can discuss their thoughts and fears.

I agree with you about the hysteria. I’m not worried about it myself other than it affecting my trip. Hopefully they stay open and the crowds stay away!

Really? You're not worried about it? Then why do you talk about in every single post you make?

First of all thank you for your extremely substantive post and second of all I have posted all off twice in this thread.

Thank you Coasterbill for expressing what I was trying to say, yes I’m worried about the hysteria and the possibility of parks closing, not catching the virus myself.

I hope Disney and all parks for that matter are not affected by this but as we have seen in Asia it’s a very real possibility unfortunately. Fingers crossed it doesn’t explode and rampantly spread but only time will tell I guess.

^^ Garet, I don’t even know how to respond to that post other than to express tons of sympathy. I’m so sorry to hear that you’re all going through that. Thanks for taking the time to write up that post though. It’s an interesting glimpse of what’s going on in South Korea.

Edited by coasterbill

^^ Garet, I don’t even know how to respond to that post other than to express tons of sympathy. I’m so sorry to hear that you’re all going through that. Thanks for taking the time to write up that post though. It’s an interesting glimpse of what’s going on in South Korea.

Garet,

I'm feeling the same way Bill is, in that I'm not sure what to say.

I mean, I'm aware of the status in that part of the world because of my daily meetings with co-workers in Singapore, Japan, and Suzhou . . . .but talking to them via skype (as they are adjusting to working from home) is not the same as experiencing it.

I hope all resolves sooner, rather than later, and that all will be able to get back to normal soon.

I echo what Bill says about thanking you for taking the time to write all that up. It really is truly a learning opportunity, and I appreciate you sharing with us.

sending good vibes and thoughts your way (don't worry, they are free of Coronavirus) !

Thanks for the kind words and I appreciate it but we are doing pretty ok here. I typed that more to make a point there's a factor as big as fear in play that you won't see in the news. We could afford to go to Everland or Lotte World but I'm a hope for the best, prepare for the worse kind of guy. I just don't want to have unnecessary spending and find my job gets delayed even more and not have enough to cover it.

As it stands, I should be back at work. I had money put away for a USJ trip and to finally try Nagashima Spa Land (I seem to be cursed on getting there I always delay with a new roller coaster announcement and now this). That trip is lost because I'll have to work that time I was going to be off and because Japan has blocked entry to people from Korea. Considering where I live it's not exactly a once in a life-time trip so it's not a big deal. If my biggest fallout from this crisis is a vacation I can't even take, and my family is well provided for I consider myself one of the luckiest ones.

The fact I can be a month unpaid and survive mostly on money put away for a birthday trip to just USJ, it's express pass 7, and a hypothetical Nintendo Land pass either says something about the cost of living here... or how ridiculous USJ prices have become.