TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Can I just say how awful the Monster Jam themed wing coaster going around looks? That can't be real. (The theming that is. I believe the coaster is real.)

Wait... What? I must have missed something here. . .

A potential concept revealed at 2018 IAAPA.

[attachment=0]IAAPA_Grave-Digger-Monster-Jam-Coaster-620x349.jpg[/attachment]

Please let this happen. The meltdown over this being Volcano's replacement would be hilarious.

^ I don't know what you guys are complaining about. That's hilarious and over the top and I love it. I sincerely hope it happens.

Same lol Gravedigger is an extremely popular monster truck and monster jam packs out NFL stadiums and smaller arenas all over the country. Monster trucks go pretty fast and have a ton of horse power and can jump things, do flips and wheelies so it's not like the theme is really that far fetched. Kids will love it too.

• 2 weeks later...

I do have a concern: With both Volcano and the Crypt being removed and some big, awesome attraction will be taking its place, what about the Avalanche? Last time I was there, the Avalanche was placed between the Volcano and The Crypt and I would hate to see the Avalanche go so a big massive coaster can take it's place in all that void. Then again, this coaster could take Volcano and Crypt's spot and wrap itself around Avalanche (it's been done before in the amusement park world; such as The Great Bear at Hersheypark and Goliath at Six Flags over Georgia), or this coaster will just take Volcano's spot and we'll have another attraction take Crypt's spot.

If the former happens and they do take out Avalanche, then it will be the second time Kings Dominion removed three rides and replaced it with an exciting coaster (I'm talking about The Lost World being replaced with Volcano). However, I don't think Avalanche is on the chopping block and it is safe from elimination.

Anaconda, on the other hand . . .

They removed two maintenance nightmares. I don't think they're doing it because they have some grand expansion plan or that the Crypt removal is tied to the Volcano removal. I'm not even sure they know what they're planning for that space yet.

I don't really think they'll remove Avalanche but I also wouldn't be entirely shocked.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe the rumored wing coaster for KD has been moved to Kings Island as a replacement for Vortex. I know KD removed Volcano and a new coaster would be a likely candidate for them to get a new coaster as KI is getting Orion, but KI is now without a conventional sitdown looper and a wing coaster could fill that need (even though it is a little bit different from a sitdown looper). Another reason I think this is that the footprint of that rumored wing coaster would fit very well where Vortex was. I rode a version of this design at Colorful Yunnan Paradise and the station area, if this ride was built for KI, would be very close to the midway where the station for Vortex was. Also, the cost is another thing. After spending $30-35 million or so for Orion, KI's next coaster may be on a smaller scale. Also, 2022 is KI's 50th anniversary, so a new coaster could be possible. This is pure speculation on my part. I have no insider information, but I do think this could be possible.

Also, 2022 is KI's 50th anniversary, so a new coaster could be possible. This is pure speculation on my part...

No. Will enthusiasts ever learn? Anniversaries sell themselves.

Also, I know it's early but after Orion I do not see a coaster as early as 2022.

As far as KD is concerned, I'm gonna put the positive energy out there that CF changed their mind's from this rumored B&M to something new from Vekoma. Their new designs make me tingle.

At the same time, I always find rumors being debunked by the sites that start them to be fishy from the beginning. Maybe a little clickbaity.

I am aware that anniversaries sell themselves and CF has done it this way in the past, but look at CP this year. A new ride is being added and other things are being done. They are not just using the 150th anniversary of the park for marketing If the leaked drawings of the KD coaster were real, CF has probably already purchased one due to the amount of time it would take to plan and build a coaster. If this is the case and it is now not going to KD, then where will it go?

If the leaked drawings of the KD coaster were real, CF has probably already purchased one due to the amount of time it would take to plan and build a coaster. If this is the case and it is now not going to KD, then where will it go?

A plan drawing like what was leaked could be made during any phase of a project, including early concept. I don't think it's confirmation that the coaster was actually purchased at all.

I would agree to this, that drawing IF made by or for the park could've just been concept art from a B&M proposal. Or from a marketing guys proposal and nothing more. Someone had an idea, made some art and it got leaked.

It also could've been made by a random internet troll to make people lose their minds.

Every leak should always be taken with a grain of salt until the park officially announces. I mean, it was what? 10 years between I305 and Twisted Timbers? Just because the park removed a coaster doesn't mean they have plans to immediately replace it, especially if the removal was a last minute decision due to (hypothetically) unforeseen, too expensive to repair maintenance issues.

While part of me is relieved it likely won't be a Wing Coaster, I still hope we see a coaster soon. Volcano was a huge loss and I'm sure the park is well aware of that. And with BGW significantly upping their coaster game (as well as being a gorgeous park in general), I hope Kings Dominion does something great in the next few years. I think the chances of them going another 8 years without a new coaster is pretty low.

The next few years will be interesting for Cedar Fair. Given how much love and attention Kings Island gets, I'm willing to bet the Vortex plot won't stay empty for too many years. Cedar Point will probably get a new coaster in the next 2-3 years. You know Carowinds will too. I wonder if another 2018 will happen where we see several coasters in a year, or perhaps they will play it more conservatively like they usually do with 1-2 coasters per year. You never know. What a fun time to be an enthusiast!

There is another point to speculate on the old Volcano site as to what to put into its place - it doesn't have to be a coaster, but how about the return of the new "Haunted River"? Before you all decide to tar and feather me for even suggesting such a thing (like I stated before - it's just something else to speculate upon), just think about Knotts Berry Farm "Knott's Bear-y Tales", a newfangled attraction based on a defunct attraction - could Kings Dominion do the same thing to bring back the Haunted River? I checked out a ride concept from Mack Rides - mack-rides.com/products/water-rides/supersplash - and I would like to see Cedar Fair put something like that in the Volcano old spot and call it "The Haunted River's Revenge". I think that would be too cool.

While part of me is relieved it likely won't be a Wing Coaster

I think it's too early to count out a wing coaster as the replacement, with a different layout and theme. I wish the Grave Digger coaster would have come to fruition, because of the cheesy hilarity of it. I wonder if that meant that they would have started to offer Nadi' light on tap.

Also, 2022 is KI's 50th anniversary, so a new coaster could be possible. This is pure speculation on my part...

No. Will enthusiasts ever learn? Anniversaries sell themselves.

You guys already got singing mushrooms yet you just want more more more...

Rumors are pointing to an S&S 4D free spin now. The hits keep coming.

I was curious if CF would jump on one of these for a smaller park, I assumed Valleyfair or *cough cough* MIA. It'll be interesting to see if this happens. Even though I just commented how much I hate these things in another thread.

If I start a rumor about a Vekoma Bermuda Blitz model coming to KD, think it can gain enough steam and good juju to convince CF to make it happen?

I actually really enjoy the Free Spins. I don’t know why people suddenly started disliking them once they got cloned. They’re fun rides and make good additions at any park without a 4D/wing coaster.

With that being said, I do think Volcano deserves a much better replacement, but if the Free Spin simply replaces the Crypt and something larger/custom comes down the line to replace Volcano, count me in.

I don't dislike them cause they're clones. I dislike flipping uncontrollably lol, which is the whole point of the ride. Just a personal preference. I think they're are great, probably economical coasters for parks. I am honestly surprised we haven't seen any smaller parks install any. Is the one in Japan the only install outside of the SF chain to date?

^Yup. I looked that up a while back. I was kind of thinking it would be a good coaster for Carowinds. Of course I would prefer an RMC Raptor or RMC treatment of Hurler. I noticed that there weren't any in the US other than SF parks.

I think they are fun and don't flip excessively, IME. And there aren't any of these in the Southeast US.