Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

P. 147: New concept art released! Coaster, log flume & more!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Coney Island (Luna Park) Development Discussion Thread

Postby coasterbill » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:46 am

Very nice move for them. It's nice to see Coney Island continue to improve.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:20 pm

Deno's Wonder Wheel has always been one of the best and brightest features of NYC's Coney Island.  And the Vourderis family who purchased it in 1983 has kept up its worthy reputation of 'highlight of the Ferris Wheel World.'  (It's worth the trip to Coney Island even you only have time to take a whirl on one of its 'swinging cars!'  The sensation is hard to describe....let's just say, it takes your stomach places where it has rarely been before! (Admittedly, I no doubt looked a LOT LESS GREEN when I rode it back in university years!!) :lmao:
I'm really excited to see what Deno can do with that spooky dilapidated little plot.  Wishing them soooo much luck at finding developers with imagination!  Hope we see some progress (legit plans at least) for the 100th anniversary of the Wonder Wheel!
As for the ZAMPERLA situation (rent increases), let's just say that NYC has the craziest, most confusing rent history.  Local political offices have to fight for their neighborhoods to sustain the places that make each living area historically unique (and keep our Mom&Pop shops).  Living prices go from Rent Controlled (those apts could be crazily low rent homes..ie, as Elissa said, "the 600/mo units."  Then comes Rent Stabilized which allows prices to be raised at a "sorta reasonable amt" every one or two years.  (If you've lived in that bldg much of your life tho, your rent can rise slowly but surely close to Market Price (not cheap!). And then there are rental buildings that rent ALL UNITS at Market Price (HIGH!). Commercial rent prices are fast dooming what makes the city "NY-ish!"
Anyway, would like to hear some Theme Park fans' thoughts on the choice of ZAMPERLA to rebuild Coney Island, and if you think they did a good job.....OR are there other companies that you suspect might have taken an even bolder direction.  (Seeing some of the inspired, visionary rides offered at many theme parks around the U.S. & world, I sometimes wonder if Zamperla took its innovations far enough (in terms of exciting, imaginative rides - as opposed to The Thunderbolt dud :roll: .)  I AM taking into account the limited space they had to work with...but am still left yearning for just a bit more 'magic and ingenuity.').   Thanks for any thoughts you'd like to share!

Alice  P.S.  Anyone new to NY's Coney Island may be fascinated to see videos of this park over its many many many transitions!  Some of the old rides looked amazing.  And, of course, there was Steeplechase, the Funny Place (in a class all by itself!) =)

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:15 pm

ObeyTheShihTzu! wrote:Alice  P.S.  Anyone new to NY's Coney Island may be fascinated to see videos of this park over its many many many transitions!  Some of the old rides looked amazing.  And, of course, there was Steeplechase, the Funny Place (in a class all by itself!) =)

I first heard of Steeplechase Park and Funny Place when I was high school in the 1980s. I was instantly fasicnated with the place, to the point that whenever I made new friends in high school I questioned their parents and would ask them to share whatever memories they had of the place. The thought of llittle people dressed as clowns walking around with "shock sticks" is just fascinating to me.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:59 am

larrygator wrote:
ObeyTheShihTzu! wrote:Alice  P.S.  Anyone new to NY's Coney Island may be fascinated to see videos of this park over its many many many transitions!  Some of the old rides looked amazing.  And, of course, there was Steeplechase, the Funny Place (in a class all by itself!) =)

I first heard of Steeplechase Park and Funny Place when I was high school in the 1980s. I was instantly fasicnated with the place, to the point that whenever I made new friends in high school I questioned their parents and would ask them to share whatever memories they had of the place. The thought of llittle people dressed as clowns walking around with "shock sticks" is just fascinating to me.

LARRY, great to hear from another Steeplechase, the Funny Place, fan.  This amazing 'hall of attractions' closed in 1964, so I had only a coupla visits as a small child.  But I will never forget it!  You entered this HUGE hall - a palace of wood and glass - filled with rides we'll probably never see again. I remember my heart beating out of my chest with excitement!  And, yes, they DID have little people dressed as clowns (the "Cast" :lol: ) with sticks that blew air up women's skirts...and shockers for men! There was a slightly scary aura to Coney Island, then.  NOTHING like the 'cutely' themed parks of today.  (For sure, a lot of Steeplechase's rides would probably have been banned by today's "Safety-First" park management.  ;)  )
There are so many clips of the old Steeplechase on YouTube, but I think you'd enjoy this one, below, because you'll see those "evil" little clowns.  It was filmed in 1932! -  but most of those one-of-a-kind rides were still around into the '60s!  Boy do I wish that TPR could go back in time and spend a day at Steeplechase.  That little ride ticket you got with that wonderfully weird grinning face pretty much said it all about the fun (and, yes, a bit of fear) that awaited the "guests." Here is the clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYAGwhKV04c titled "Let's Go Coney! Island" (1932)

Alice (P.S.  Am happy to answer any more questions about Steeplechase, as I recall it thru the eyes of a small, but very observant child...and a forever fan!)

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby njcoasterguy34 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:20 am

Luna Park NYC is looking for artists to enter a contest to determine the artwork on the front of Cyclone's train. See their Facebook post below.

https://www.facebook.com/375624901061/posts/10158772388166062/
Only one word describes Green Lantern: "OW!"

Postby prozach626 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:32 pm

It should be no surprise that the first comment on the FB post is someone being negative.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:55 pm

In advance of its 10th season, Luna Park has released new concept art of their upcoming enhancements at the park including their new ropes course, log flume and roller coaster!

LP_Expansion2020-09.jpg

https://lunaparknyc.com/luna-park-2020-more-fun-more-smiles-more-thrills/

LUNA PARK IS CELEBRATING ITS 10TH BIRTHDAY.

This year there will be more thrills, more experiences, more entertainment and more rides than ever before! Our full season calendar is available now, so you can plan your perfect visit.

Start your day at Luna Park on Stillwell Avenue. Our new beautiful entrance and public space will welcome you with entertainment, food options, and shaded seating areas.

Next, you can enjoy all of our thrilling rides. Test your daredevil skills on our brand new Ropes Course.

Experience thrills and chills beachside on our new Super Flume and Coaster. You can cool down and take a plunge on our new water attraction-Big WaveZ! Of course, you can ride our classics like Thunderbolt and Steeplechase.

After a day of heart-pounding thrills, you can eat at one of our delicious spots Flywheel Eats or Al Cavallino. If you want a quick snack stop by Half Moon Café, Zweetie, or Coney’s Cones for a sweet or savory treat.

This season we will have special birthday celebrations, entertainment, promotions and more, so stay tuned for specific dates and information!

OPENING DAY IS APRIL 4TH.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS AND JOIN US AS WE KICK OFF OUR 10TH BIRTHDAY SEASON.
LP_Expansion2020-01.jpg
LP_Expansion2020-03.jpg
LP_Expansion2020-02.jpg
LP_Expansion2020-04.jpg
LP_Expansion2020-05.jpg
LP_Expansion2020-06.jpg
LP_Expansion2020-07.jpg
LP_Expansion2020-08.jpg
LP_Expansion2020-10.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:49 pm

Bravo for this little bit of "the OLD Coney Island" coming to my home park! Keep bringing on the fun & magic that so many of us remember. =)

Alice

Postby coasterbill » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:57 am

I'm loving all of this.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby RCjunkie » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:13 am

^ They had you at...'Super Flume'.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!