TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

One of the regular Universal vloggers reported that it was now running 10 trains which is near capacity (apparently it can run 11?) If that is accurate and they can keep it up, should help with wait times. I'm assuming they won't add fastpass until the Jurassic Park coaster opens.

One of the ride ops indicated to us that rain was an issue not heat (of course there is much more rain in Florida in the summer) They claimed rain sometimes interfered with the sensors. Now this was a ride op not a maintenance person so ......

Can someone remind me how the "holding pens" at Horror Nights work specifically if we want to do Islands during the day, and Studios/HHN during the night. If we have a day ticket at the opposite park (NOT a Hopper ticket) do they still let us into a special area at a certain time, or am I out of luck since it's the opposite park? My guess is there isn't anything for us, but I vaguely remember back in the day where was some way to do this (though it may have only been only with the 3pm stay and scream ticket which they no longer offer).

Thanks! Trying to get my plan of attack done 9 months early... lol...

If you have a day ticket for IOA then you will not be able to enter the studios for HHN until it opens for the night. I think they did offer the scream early ticket last year. I would wait to see what they come out with. Personally, I would opt for the one day 2 park ticket. Some attractions are not available at the studios during HHN and honestly, the crowds are nonexistent at the parks (during the day) when HHN happens. So, what I would do is get the 2 park ticket, do IOA at rope drop then head over to the studios around 2-3 and do the attractions they won't be open for HHN THEN haed to the stay and scream areas.

Thanks for the info! I think the only two new rides for me at Universal Studios is Jimmy Fallon and Fast and Furious. Both of which I don't care if I were to miss them. Also that new Bourne thing may be open by then. But. *shrug*. Other than Mummy (which I can ride at night), I can't think of anything that really stands out to me. (I think rip rocket is easily skipable as well).

I don't think I can justify the price difference for the Hopper, as there just isn't enough worthwhile to do at Studios, for me, especially if I have the option to ride some during HHN. Just my opinion. Islands has a LOT that I really enjoy, plus the Potter Coaster and Kong which would be new to me.

Planning on Thursday Sept 17th at this moment, or possibly that Sunday instead, so HHN crowds shouldn't be TOO TOO bad, but who really knows with that park; I've seen crazy wait times on social media before.

Honestly we may just skip HHN and just do Islands. We will definitely be going to BGT daytime + Howl-o-Scream and that may be enough to get our fill.

It's still a long ways away to decide our master plan, but thanks for that info.

When thinking about the price difference think of this, the stay and screamers get access to at least 2 haunts before the park opens for HHN and they are usually the most popular of the night. With the growing number of houses and with each being unique, I wouldn't want to miss any and possibly hit up a repeat. Stay and scream helps with that. But again, I think they did the scream early thing last year so they may have that option again.

https://www.wesh.com/article/super-nintendo-world-will-be-at-new-universal-park-epic-universe/30642731

ORLANDO, Fla. —

Comcast executives confirmed Thursday that Super Nintendo World will be coming to Universal Orlando's new theme park, Epic Universe.

Though it won't open until 2023, there will be lots of construction activity next year at the future Epic Universe location. It's being built just north of the Orange County Convention Center and the initial concept art depicted four immersive themed lands.

Super Nintendo World had long been rumored to be a land coming to Epic Universe. The confirmation came during a Comcast Q4 earnings call Thursday.

When answering a question during the call, a Comcast executive said Super Nintendo Land will be part of the "fourth-gate" in Florida.

Universal is slated to open the first Super Nintendo Land this year in Japan.

During the call Thursday, Comcast executives talked about its potential to draw big crowds.

"I think the next big thing on the horizon is Nintendo. Nintendo, based on our research is one of the biggest potential drivers of attendance that you could have of any kind of I. P. It's up there with Harry Potter," an executive said.

Thanks for the info! I think the only two new rides for me at Universal Studios is Jimmy Fallon and Fast and Furious. Both of which I don't care if I were to miss them. Also that new Bourne thing may be open by then. But. *shrug*. Other than Mummy (which I can ride at night), I can't think of anything that really stands out to me. (I think rip rocket is easily skipable as well).

I don't think I can justify the price difference for the Hopper, as there just isn't enough worthwhile to do at Studios, for me, especially if I have the option to ride some during HHN. Just my opinion. Islands has a LOT that I really enjoy, plus the Potter Coaster and Kong which would be new to me.

Planning on Thursday Sept 17th at this moment, or possibly that Sunday instead, so HHN crowds shouldn't be TOO TOO bad, but who really knows with that park; I've seen crazy wait times on social media before.

Honestly we may just skip HHN and just do Islands. We will definitely be going to BGT daytime + Howl-o-Scream and that may be enough to get our fill.

It's still a long ways away to decide our master plan, but thanks for that info.

Just to help you with planning/decision making......we attended HHN last year, first weekend in Oct. Now we did have fastpasses for the haunts because I think Halloween events are stupid in the daylight (my thing, no judgement) This allowed us to wait and go around 8 or 8:30. In 3 1/2 to 4 hours we were easily able to get in half the houses, one show, half the scare zones and ride all the available rides, each night. And we were with teens who could never go to the bathroom at the same time, stopped every other booth for a snack, looked at every t-shirt stand, etc....so we weren't exactly fast (worse than having little kids actually) I think if we started right at opening and didn't have fastpasses we could have done them all in one night, the stay and scream would have helped in that regard. I only saw one really long standby line, Stranger Things which was 75 min, most of the others were under an hour.

If you are trying to decide between Howl-o-scream and HHN, keep this in mind: HHN is more of a party atmosphere in my opinion and a little light on the "spooky" atmosphere. I thought the scare zones were a little disappointing, other than Zombieland and some of that was more the humor from the movie. Most of the houses are back on the sound stages and there in NO theming while you are waiting in line, just lots of flood light and lots of concrete. Also, the crowds are so big you have to go through the houses conga line style. Not bad, but different from most other Halloween events I have been too. Now the props and actors were absolutely top notch, best I've seen. In fact I wanted to go through the Nightingales house again not because it was so scary but to look more closely at the Ancient Rome theming. Yes, it was that good and yes I am that much of a history nerd. I have not been to BGT Halloween event but having seen it on youtube it looks more like most other parks. So, consider what kind of event your group will enjoy more plus factoring in the cost, etc.

Oh and we were there on a Sat and Sun night and I notice no difference in crowds whatsoever at the event. City walk was definitely more crowded on Sat night but inside HHN the wait times and crowds were indistinguishable between the two nights.

The Universal Orlando Resort has sent us some great information about this year's Mardi Gras Celebration! The event will run for eight weeks (starting this weekend) with a variety of concert performers, entertainment and food!

1850658015_03_MardiGrasatUniversalOrlandoResort.thumb.jpg.78209e4e23cbb844820555ec7884777b.jpg

Starting this weekend, Universal Orlando’s 2020 Mardi Gras Celebration kicks off with new and returning Cajun-style cuisine that is sure to excite foodies everywhere. From fan-favorite classics like Gumbo and Jambalaya to delectable new dishes inspired by carnivals worldwide – there are so many unique flavors to explore. See below for all the food and beverage options coming to this year’s Mardi Gras Celebration:

New Mardi Gras Dishes at Universal Studios Florida and Universal CityWalk

From February 1 through April 2, guests can enjoy new menu items at The French Quarter Courtyard at Universal Studios Florida and several locations in Universal CityWalk, including Voodoo Doughnut, The Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen and more.

NEW Carnival Around The Universe Tasting Tent: This all-new tasting tent in the French Quarter Courtyard will feature dishes inspired by carnivals worldwide with new menu items debuting bi-weekly throughout the event, including a variety of plant-based options:

Week 1 and 2 (Feb. 1 – Feb. 15) will feature cuisine from Trinidad & Tobago:

• Grilled Pineapple Trini Chow: Topped with kimchi seasoning and micro cilantro (Plant-based)
  • Pholourie: Fried spicy split pea dough with turmeric, curry powder and a tamarind chutney (Plant-based)
  • Chickpea Double: Chickpeas served on a spicy bara flatbread with micro cilantro and mango chutney (Plant-based)

Week 3 and 4 (Feb. 16 – Feb. 29) will take guests back to where the Bayou Bash first began and explore Louisiana Creole cuisine even further:

• Softshell Crab Slider: Crispy softshell crab topped with organic vegetable slaw and served on a soft brioche roll with bayou aioli
  • Cauliflower Dirty Rice: Riced cauliflower with Gardein crumbles, Black eyed peas and Cajun spices (Plant-based)
  • Pecan Street: A specialty cocktail with pecan vodka, caramel and apple cider

Week 5 and 6 (March 1 – March 14) will celebrate Brazilian Carnival with delicious treats:

• Pão de Quiejo: Traditional warm cheese bread with a guava dipping sauce
  • Sugared Sweet Plantains: Covered in cinnamon and sugar and served with banana poppy seed dipping sauce (Plant-based)
  • The Girl from Ipanema: A specialty cocktail featuring gin, lime, orgeat syrup, coconut water and pineapple simple syrup

Week 7 and 8 (March 15 – April 2) will place you in the heart of Germany:

• Sauerbraten: Slow braised beef, buttered Spaetzle, and pickled red cabbage topped with a savory red wine sauce
  • Grilled Bratwurst: Served on a potato pancake with whole grain mustard and sour cream and chives
  • And a warm pretzel!

NEW ‘Float Floats’ at Schwab’s Pharmacy: Inspired by the all-new Mardi Gras parade float theme, Treasures of the Deep, Schwab’s Pharmacy will serve over-the-top ice cream floats to celebrate Florida’s biggest party, including:

• Mardi Gras Float: Pineapple and lime soft serve with grape soda, blueberry Boba and a waffle cone flag
  • Shipwreck Float: Pineapple and chocolate soft serve with pineapple soda, cotton candy and a waffle cone flag
  • Sunken City of Atlantis Float: Vanilla soft serve with wild berry soda, mango Boba and a gummy shark

New Specialty Cocktails and Non-Alcoholic Beverages: Also inspired by this year’s Mardi Gras theme, are new specialty cocktails served in exclusive souvenir cups including High Seas Twister with rum, blood orange liqueur, and watermelon juice, and the Bourbon Street Punch with bourbon, orgeat, coconut puree and orange juice to name a few. Plus, also new to this year’s event, are recommended food and drink pairings which can be found on the tasting tent menu boards. For the little jesters in the family, there are a variety of non-alcoholic beverages including the all-new coconut water that is served out of an actual coconut, which is available at The Carnival Around the Universe Tasting Tent during the first two weeks, and the fan-favorite Bayou Bog Water.

New Orleans Flair at Universal CityWalk: New Mardi Gras themed food items will debut at Universal CityWalk at several locations, including Voodoo Doughnut, The Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen and more:

• For the doughnut lovers out there – head over to Voodoo Doughnut and pick up a yeast doughnut filled with cinnamon sugar Bavarian cream and topped with vanilla glaze and sprinkles inspired by the iconic Mardi Gras colors
  • Ever wanted to drink an iconic Mardi Gras king cake? The Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen will be serving up The French Quarter artisan milkshake that includes king cake, cream cheese crema and pastry cream topped with king cake and a beignet
  • Seasonal cocktails throughout Universal CityWalk, including The Jester found at the food and beverage carts, Voodoo Doctor at Bob Marley – A Tribute to Freedom and Masquerade Martini at The Cowfish
  • Additional Mardi Gras inspired menu items can be found at venues across Universal CityWalk

Add-on New Orleans Inspired Experiences

As part of the family-friendly version of the renowned Big Easy bash, guests can also purchase festive Mardi Gras add-on experiences for guests craving more.

• Due to popular demand, The Mardi Gras Tasting Lanyard will return, allowing guests to sample multiple dishes and beverages for one price throughout the event. Whether guests are looking to enjoy all of this year’s food and beverage items, or sample just a few of the bold new additions, there are a variety of Mardi Gras Tasting Lanyard options to choose from starting at $30 plus tax. Among these options is an exclusive Passholder Tasting Lanyard, which includes 15 sample dishes for $60 plus tax.
  • On select nights, The Bayou Boil – An Exclusive Mardi Gras Experience, will allow guests to enjoy a Louisiana-style boil featuring crawfish, shrimp, potatoes and corn-on-the-cob, as well as an exclusive viewing area for the Mardi Gras parade with king cake, beignets, sparkling wine and assorted non-alcoholic beverages. Tickets for adults are $59.99 plus tax, and tickets for children (ages 3-9) are $39.99 plus tax. Separate theme park admission is required.
  • For guests with a sweet tooth, the Mardi Gras Feast & Floats Dessert Party is available on select nights from March 9 through April 2, giving them the best view of the Mardi Gras parade while enjoying specialty desserts, savory bites, hot chocolate, assorted non-alcoholic beverages, and sparkling wine and cider. But the party doesn’t stop there – guests will also have an exclusive viewing area for Universal Orlando’s Cinematic Celebration. Tickets for adults are $49.99 plus tax, and tickets for children (ages 3-9) are $29.99 plus tax. Separate theme park admission is required.

Returning Cajun Cuisine Favorites

Fans of the traditional and authentic New Orleans cuisine – don’t fret! Your favorite classic Cajun dishes will return to The French Quarter Courtyard at Universal Studios Florida including jambalaya, shrimp gumbo, crab etouffee, gator bites, a variety of po’boys, Cajun twisted tators, king cake, beignets and more.

Plus, as part of the Mardi Gras Celebration, guests enjoy a nightly Mardi Gras parade throughout the streets of Universal Studios Florida inspired by the all-new Treasures of the Deep parade theme, as well as performances by some of the biggest names in music, including world-renowned, chart-topping DJ and producer, Marshmello, the multi-platinum international star behind global smash-hits “Despacito” and “Échame La Culpa,” Luis Fonsi, and best-selling American girl group of all time, TLC, known for mega hits such as “Waterfalls,” “No Scrubs,” “Creep” and “Unpretty.” For the complete line-up and performance schedule, see below.

mg2020.JPG.2ccbb82f109d09a5a4d4652a0beabc3e.JPG

mg2020b.thumb.JPG.8270b2a51bf6c82db48a2a121305f17b.JPG

All of the excitement of Universal Orlando’s Mardi Gras celebration is included with admission to Universal Studios Florida. To learn about all of Universal Orlando’s ticket and vacation package options and for more information on Mardi Gras, visit http://www.UniversalOrlando.com.

1481293848_01_MardiGrasatUniversalOrlandoResort.thumb.jpg.0ee0b2004d18dee2d9dbb122aa639e9b.jpg

394803360_04_MardiGrasatUniversalOrlandoResort.thumb.jpg.b5ed4c4e5a1702a1905147dc47c19feb.jpg

1959794994_05_MardiGrasatUniversalOrlandoResort.thumb.jpg.13c4c6e13b2cb0ed687172b1ac3ba5a2.jpg

1669133803_01_ChickpeaDouble_CarnivalAroundTheUniverse.thumb.jpg.d0129904bd04b9c3442f3c4ea8444ffe.jpg

2076493623_02_GrilledPineappleTriniChow_CarnivalAroundTheUniverse.thumb.jpg.aa176515e1c1753533bfd52f4e80a996.jpg

562704041_03_CoconutWaterinaCoconut_CarnivalAroundTheUniverse.thumb.jpg.06b1a799175762be381e741d312a3e7b.jpg

395699895_04_SoftshellCrabSlider_CarnivalAroundTheUniverse.thumb.jpg.af4b794e96c7ef67e920ee07867b693b.jpg

138168990_05_CauliflowerDirtyRice_CarnivalAroundTheUniverse.thumb.jpg.872c427595ec478857a40b18daa967d0.jpg

207967852_06_Sauerbraten_CarnivalAroundTheUniverse.thumb.jpg.bc08677e02a6c92fa3cb58316dcb585b.jpg

1297647972_07_PaodeQuiejo_CarnivalAroundTheUniverse.thumb.jpg.7e8619c76deefd307e8fd986dc6f66a2.jpg

177021789_08_SunkenCityofAtlantisFloat.thumb.jpg.1622616a5c8be8e2cb4db6488765e46c.jpg

129287196_09_MardiGrasFloat.thumb.jpg.ece869d6ef3660aecd62512a101aa773.jpg

767061403_10_ShipwreckFloat.thumb.jpg.3a9da8e5cd2d5fd5cffdee75939e0876.jpg

695533451_11_HighSeasTwisterSpecialtyCocktail.thumb.jpg.bd9e36ce98de70b81933dd841d5ba4bb.jpg

1272288224_12_BeignetsandHoodooColdBrew.thumb.jpg.905aeb57b9e8c6df4805e41fb062c998.jpg

200247336_13_TheBayouBoil.thumb.jpg.b66040ecc8876efe5c07afc0fd7434a0.jpg

999321821_14_TheFrenchQuarterMilkshake_TheToothsomeChocolateEmporium.thumb.jpg.4ebf98e8b48c73d6037a127e89e07894.jpg

909801795_15_VoodooDoughnut_MardiGras.thumb.jpg.f9c5a532ddbcc17daef009199af7d16f.jpg

Those are some pretty great musicians on that list! I'd be so taken back if I walked into Universal and saw Kool and the Gang playing

They played Busch Gardens Williamsburg a few years back, when they were still doing the free summer concert series. Was definitely a nice bonus even though we were mainly focused on the rides!

Let me break down this concert calendar as a showbiz professional who's worked for 7 of the acts on that list -

The Roots - Super talented and really nice, I'd recommend them. Not a surprise since they're Fallon's house act these days, but still a huge name to play a theme park.

Karol G - Pass. Pass by a country mile.

Bell Biv DeVoe - Holy crap, they're still playing shows together?! 90s hip hop. If you like the sound, you'll like the show. Recommended.

+Live+ - Honestly I had to double check this was Live and not some other band because I've never seen them listed with the plus signs. It isn't some other band, it's friggin Live, and they're incredible. Not only do they have a bunch of huge rock hits, they're all great people who love their craft. This is easily (one of) the highest recommendations for this year's Mardis Gras.

Kool & The Gang - You know the music. Highly recommended.

TLC - Well, just TC these days since Left Eye passed away years ago. They're better than Salt-N-Pepa, so there's that.

REO Speedwagon - Undoubtedly THE show to see this year. REO Speedwagon blew me through the goddamned roof a few years ago. Yeah, they're old, but DAMN these guys command the stage! Do not miss this one if you're a passholder. Also, they're legitimately great, friendly people who know they're famous because of their fans. Just wait until they begin Roll With The Changes. That song is when your brain clicks and you realize you're watching rock gods doing their thing. I mean look at this, just look at it -

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Good sweet lawd baby jesus that's a show!!!

Dustin Lynch - Who's this guy? :::quick google::: Country artist? Pass.

Luis Fonsi - Imagine, if you will, Despacito on repeat for 90 minutes.

The All-American Rejects - I'm not a fan of their sound, but they put on a solid show and they're super-nice guys.

Diana Ross - She's a living legend. Go!

Chris Young - Country. Pass.

Earth, Wind, And Fire - I mean, all of the original members are long dead. This is like going to see The Temptations these days. They're really a cover band.

Marshmello - Ugh. It's just a DJ doing boring DJ crap. He's also a giant twat-waffle. He's on my blacklist here in town, meaning if I get a call to work his gig I refuse it on principle.

Why Don't We - Had to google these guys, too. Apparently they still make boy bands these days? Pass.

Gavin DeGraw - I'm a simple man. When your breakthrough hit single (I Don't Wanna Be) is a barely-concealed copy of Stone Temple Pilots' "Vasoline" and you won't admit to it, you go to the bottom of the barrel in my book. Screw this guy.

I actually appreciate that Universal and Disney book acts across all different genres for their concert series. I certainly don'y have interest in seeing a lot of the names on that list, but I do recognize almost all of them as being big within their genre (I only had no idea who Why Don't We is).

Earth, Wind, And Fire - I mean, all of the original members are long dead. This is like going to see The Temptations these days. They're really a cover band.

Incorrect. The only major person that passed was Maurice White. Three of the main original members are still alive and perform in the band, including Philip Bailey, Verdine White and Ralph Johnson. They have an excellent selection of supporting band members to continue the legacy once they can no longer continue, including Philip Bailey, Jr. and B. David Whitworth. So no, it's not a cover band, period. They are awesome live. I've seen them twice in the last 5 years and they had a varying playlist for each one.

I actually appreciate that Universal and Disney book acts across all different genres for their concert series. I certainly don'y have interest in seeing a lot of the names on that list, but I do recognize almost all of them as being big within their genre (I only had no idea who Why Don't We is).

Yeah, it's definitely a nice change of pace compared to the acts we get at Six Flags Great Adventure, where it's pretty much, uh... reggaeton, Christian, reggaeton again, some teen Instagram influencer that's trying to kickstart a recording career, and a random wrestling show. Maybe a country act if we're "lucky". :/

Also, Luis Fonsi is most well known for "Despacito" thanks to it being a crossover radio hit throughout the states (gee, thanks Bieber), but the man is legitimately talented with a 20+ year career and ten full-length albums. If Latin pop isn't your thing then yeah, steer clear, but it's definitely going to draw the folks who love and appreciate the music.

I'm a pretty big fan of EDM, not a big fan of Marshmello, but there's no denying he's a huge name that's going to draw an absolute ton of kids out when he plays. But yeah. From everything I've heard he's an utter jerk IRL.

So I have a bit of a long trip report that I don't know if anyone's actually interested in but I was down there to run Running Universal's first 5k and 10k epic character races over this past weekend. Overall the races were a great success even if they have some things to work out which I expected since it was their first time in Orlando doing it at this scale. They have had 2 race weekends in Hollywood so I'm sure they learned some things from that.

The 5k was on Saturday and had more people than the 10k. The weather was rough for this day since it rained a good portion of the early morning while everyone was waiting for the races to start at 6:15am. Which is obviously not something Universal controls but it made the course tough to get through since people were trying to avoid some of the puddles that formed and it made some of the areas very slippery. The nice thing was the rain stopped before our corral got let out so we didn't have to run much in the rain itself at least.

Since this was only a 5k I wasn't running for time and we stopped at a bunch of character stops and they had so many characters out, we didn't do them all but we got a handful. The character lines moved slowly for the more popular characters but I'm not really sure what you could do about that to move it faster.

At the end of the 5k after you received your medal they had two lines with the running universal backdrop that you could take pictures with a minion and Alex the lion from Madagascar.

On Sunday the 10k had no rain but I wasn't expecting it to be so cold while waiting for the race to start lol there was some really strong winds but once the race got going the weather was my ideal weather to run in. We decided to stop for only the short lines for characters for this one because I wanted to get a good run in for this one.

I preferred the 10k course to the 5k because the first mile for both were mainly outside the parks so that made up almost 1/3rd of the 5k but it was only a small portion of the 10k which was almost entirely inside the parks. It was so much fun running through basically empty sections of the parks and seeing the sun rise while running through them. At the end of the finish line for this race after getting your medal they had setup Blue and his trainer to take a picture with which was an unexpected surprise to me and also two minions with the running universal backdrop.

Another awesome aspect that I really enjoyed is that they had some of the rides working while we were running through which is something they absolutely didn't need to do but it was such a cool idea. The hulk, dudley do rights and rip ride rockit were some of the rides that they were cycling for us.

Overall we had either taken a picture with or ran by the... Simpsons, puss and boots, transformers, Shrek & donkey, Betty boop, Popeye and olive oil, hashtag the panda, Scooby-Doo and his gang, the whos from whoville, Mardi gras characters, Woody and Winnie woodpecker, the blues Brothers, earl and the night bus conducter and they even had the talking fountain for the 10k. Some people actually complained that there weren't enough characters but we saw so many out that I don't know how anyone could complain about lack of characters.

Also at the end of the finish lines for both days they had huge amounts of bottled water and bananas for everyone plus snack boxes that had a granola bar, trail mix, pretzels and some sort of apple sauce packet thing. It was all great.

I can't say nice enough things about the Universal staff. We ran behind some of the backstage areas where the staff were and their offices were and so many of them came out to cheer everyone on. All the staff that were working the event were doing the same thing and it was really nice to see. They also had music going throughout the parks and several areas with some djs playing some music and cheering people on and pointing out the cool costumes that some people created to run in.

Parking was also a breeze, you just pulled in and parked and then followed everyone to the volcano bay garage section where they had a security checkpoint all setup and that took seconds to get through as well.

My only major complaint was the start and the corrals. The way they had it setup was the start of the race was basically directly after a set of the parking booths so it was a bit of a squeeze to get through that. For the 5k there were 3 larger corrals and all were quite full, the elites(a small group), A, B and C. Apparently A was the only corral assigned and B and C were based on when you showed up so we were in B. They really just needed to sort the corrals out better by your estimated time or proof of time because they released each corral completely at once instead of waves so it was hard to get around the people who were just walking or slower.

I'm hoping they learn from that and release the corrals in waves next time to give people more separation but it really ended up separating everyone after the first mile anyway. The 10k had a lot less people so it was a lot easier to separate from everyone after that.

Based on the results there were 3,235 people for the 5k and 1,976 for the 10k. I think turnouts were pretty great since I don't think they really promoted these events as much as they could and it also helps them learn how to improve them going forward. Since Hollywood has another race day in April with a Trolls theme I definitely see Orlando doing this again and I would absolutely run in them again. I haven't had a chance to run in a Disney race yet and I saw a lot of people comparing the two but I really throught Universal did a fantastic job for their first go at this on this scale.

Time for some pictures...

Screenshot_20200205-090337.thumb.jpg.f5183ea7dafa1aa69cc940e4a5253f1a.jpg

Map of the 5k course

Screenshot_20200205-090413.thumb.jpg.511500a7b5170ba1ae5b0b4ca69cf62c.jpg

Map of the 10k course

20200131_124221.thumb.jpg.5d6b24da96898117411e71e391330aed.jpg

They made the signs very easy to follow to pick up the race packets which included the race bibs, drawstring bag and an event t-shirt

20200131_123910.thumb.jpg.88a3b0f6ba0928ef02fc1c8a12ad708c.jpg

20200202_061814.thumb.jpg.a7c8f04e8169a8bc6023277f858d21ad.jpg

Hard to get a great picture since it was dark lol

20200202_063313.thumb.jpg.e2e922d167fbcfac4dbc2e1846dc8150.jpg

1st mile marker

20200202_064658.thumb.jpg.c89254dfa28e8c9d94aff6bd491964e7.jpg

2nd mile marker

20200202_065140.thumb.jpg.d99a8b3af1329dd70094c8ec48e1808a.jpg

Not the best quality but was cool to see Hogsmeade so empty

20200202_065300.thumb.jpg.8993e3e40dba609b08cef42eaee63257.jpg

I probably should have stopped and taken a better picture but I was trying to multi-task and run and take it at the same time lol

20200202_070253.thumb.jpg.6c23780f70bb03e644e6f8b567c5aca7.jpg

3rd mile marker

20200202_071727.thumb.jpg.be3aa4d7af1d3b512dead38e6fd9de9a.jpg

4th mile marker and the sun was really starting to come up now

Screenshot_20200205-090925.thumb.jpg.e586e27826bc251eea55edb9a37fc350.jpg

I did stop to take a shot of the dragon, it was cool to run through doors of diagon alley that are normally closed and to see it basically empty.

Resized_20200202_073624_5310.thumb.jpg.eb8f273f2cf12bbab69acdbfb3d85a74.jpg

5th mile marker, the clock starts when the first runner crosses the starting line so this isn't my time.

Resized_20200202_075158_9507.thumb.jpg.d7b79971cc62955ff68110836ac6a178.jpg

Was awesome seeing that final 6th mile marker knowing the finish line was coming up quick now

20200205_092704.thumb.jpg.766734b035b40da3736dd18ecfd3a1d9.jpg

The 5k shirt

20200205_092727.thumb.jpg.bb34408a49d6cb2484c9d2e48e8ad13a.jpg

The 10k shirt

20200205_092912.thumb.jpg.78d3f87c20d500764f05c4ed69d57252.jpg

They had staff handing out the medals just a little bit past the finish line and I thought they did a great job on them, the back portion of them spin too. The drawstring bag behind them was very nice as well.

I really can't recommend the races enough if anyone is interested in trying them. There were people running them of all ages. I can't compare them to Disney but I know the large crowds they get so if you are interested in starting to run or just want to run the parks in general these are some great races to try out first since the crowds are much smaller. I do plan on eventually running some Disney races it's just hard to do so because I normally don't plan my trips out that far in advance and some of the Disney races sell out rather quick.

On Sunday we tried to get to Hagrids after the race but the line was insane and down to the lost continent and ranged from 2.5-3 hours so we skipped that and decided to take pictures with the characters we missed and some that we hadn't seen during the race and it was really fun interacting with them since they all saw the medals we were wearing and were acknowledging it. Also caught the Mardi Gras parade which I had never been there during before and it was really cool, the floats and characters looked incredible. I'd love to know how much and many beads Universal buys every year because I ended up catching 29 beads since the people on the floats were just chucking them everywhere lol we sat on the curb and they just basically end up in your lap/face with how many are being thrown lol

I don't know if Universal has had different training lately or what but I know I mentioned this in my last report down there but the staff has been absolutely awesome lately. So very friendly and everyone was wishing us congratulations and asking how the races went and wanted to look at the medals. I really just don't remember the staff being this great in the past.

I had commented on my last report in December that I thought it was silly that the butterbeer stands and individual stands wouldn't honor the annual pass discount but apparently it's a new addition for this year and they are now honoring it so that was very nice to see that universal listens because I had mentioned it in a few surveys I received from them. Just need them to give the discount on booze next! Lol

Regular park wise we finally got on Hagrids on Monday afternoon when we decided that we were just gonna wait no matter at this point. The wait time said 90 mins but we were on in 60 with a 10 min stoppage for whatever issue they had. I always loved Dueling Dragons and was very sad to see it go but at the same time as a casual Potter fan I still very much enjoyed this ride. It's just plain fun. Could aspects have been better? Absolutely, I don't think anyone could deny that but we still very much enjoyed it. I did expect more of it to be inside but I had been avoiding reading any reviews about it.

Tried the hot butterbeer for the first time as well, it was very good but the frozen butterbeer is still the best to me. If I had to rank them I like frozen / ice cream / hot / regular. I just find that the regular is just too sweet for me.

Also finally got on the Hulk for the first time since they re-did it and that ride is just as awesome as I remember it being. I asked very nicely if there was any chance we could wait for the front row and they had a seperate small line past the grouper that she directed me to and then directed us to the front row a cycle after that which was awesome. The updated themeing to the whole ride was awesome. Tried the Fallon ride for the first time as well and I actually enjoyed it more than I ever expected to but maybe that's because my expectations were so low since I really don't care much for Fallon, it's definitely better than fast and the furious which isn't saying much lol

All in all another awesome visit to universal and I really hope I can make it down there for their next race weekend.

Another awesome aspect that I really enjoyed is that they had some of the rides working while we were running through which is something they absolutely didn't need to do but it was such a cool idea. The hulk, dudley do rights and rip ride rockit were some of the rides that they were cycling for us.

So when you say they were cycling the rides for the race do you just mean that empty cars were cycling while you were running the course or were you actually able to ride? I'm just assuming it was empty cars but the idea of being able to hop of the course and take a quick ride on Hulk is pretty awesome, I'd 100% run one of these races in the future if that was the case.

So when you say they were cycling the rides for the race do you just mean that empty cars were cycling while you were running the course or were you actually able to ride? I'm just assuming it was empty cars but the idea of being able to hop of the course and take a quick ride on Hulk is pretty awesome, I'd 100% run one of these races in the future if that was the case.

Just empty cars while everyone was running, just was cool to hear and see them go by especially when they didn't have to do it but it would have been awesome taking a quick ride on anything during the race, I would have totally done that lol I know a lot of people for the Disney full marathon make it a challenge to get to animal kingdom quick enough so they can go on expedition everest during the race lol

Just empty cars while everyone was running, just was cool to hear and see them go by especially when they didn't have to do it but it would have been awesome taking a quick ride on anything during the race, I would have totally done that lol I know a lot of people for the Disney full marathon make it a challenge to get to animal kingdom quick enough so they can go on expedition everest during the race lol

Thanks for the clarification, still cool to have the rides cycling. When I worked a few race events at Everest I remember the ride being open after the race during the post race party but don't really remember people riding it during the race but it may be different for the marathon. Then again now that I think about it I guess there was no reason someone couldn't have gotten in line and just hung out instead of finishing the race haha.

To any park running event operators reading this thread, if open a few rides and I promise to do your race in the future .