TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

I’m making plans to go to Carowinds for the first time in July 15-17. Right now I’m planning to stay at the new SpringHill Suites by Marriott at Carowinds for two nights. Has anyone stayed at the new hotel yet? I’m curious I book the room through Orbitz was $389 for two nights and I was wondering is it worth it? Also is the hotel within walking distance to the park? When I’m done with Carowinds on Friday night I’m driving straight ten hours north to Cedar Point staying then staying at Breakers for 3 nights.

I’m making plans to go to Carowinds for the first time in July 15-17. Right now I’m planning to stay at the new SpringHill Suites by Marriott at Carowinds for two nights. Has anyone stayed at the new hotel yet? I’m curious I book the room through Orbitz was $389 for two nights and I was wondering is it worth it? Also is the hotel within walking distance to the park? When I’m done with Carowinds on Friday night I’m driving straight ten hours north to Cedar Point staying then staying at Breakers for 3 nights.
The new hotel is definitely within walking distance as it's directly beside the entrance booths.

I’m curious I book the room through Orbitz was $389 for two nights and I was wondering is it worth it?

It's the most expensive hotel in a 5 mile radius for those dates aside from an Embassy Suites. It looks very nice but I think they're smoking the good sh*t. There are tons of super, super nice hotels that are $100 less and you're booking through Orbitz so you're obviously not interested in working towards Bonvoy status. There's a Hyatt place for $150 less, another Springhill suites 2 miles further for $100 less. Crown Plaza...

They need to put the crackpipe down. That's my opinion. Even if a hotel is 2 miles away, Uber to a better hotel and still pocket an extra $100.

Edit: It's a few dollars cheaper to book right through Marriot and earn rewards points than to book through Orbitz but they still need to put the crackpipe down.

Edited by coasterbill

It's worth noting Carowinds is off a highway with no crosswalk. If you're across the street, you should take an Uber even though the distance isn't far...unless you like playing Frogger.

I've used Uber to Carowinds a few times, it's really easy they let the driver bring you all the way up to the entrance. Same with pick up. I wouldn't pay that much for that hotel.

I'll recco Comfort Inn At The Park. I plugged in your dates and it only costs $185.

That hotel price is crazy. The Comfort Inn may be closer to the gates. If not, it's very close. Save yourself some money. You're going to be at the park all day. You just need a bed and bathroom for a few hours each day. Comfort Inn has some food and an waffle maker in the morning, too. The Comfort Inn is also closest and easiest to the interstate as well.

Monster Jam: Thunder Alley is coming to Carowinds from March 21 through April 19. This pretty much confirms March 21 as Opening Day.

The passholder preview page was found earlier this week. It's 3/20 and grand opening is 3/21. Open for Spring Break week of April 6.

It's worth noting Carowinds is off a highway with no crosswalk. If you're across the street, you should take an Uber even though the distance isn't far...unless you like playing Frogger.

The new hotel is on property. They have a safe pedestrian walkway to the entrance of the park from the hotel. However, anything across Carowinds BLVD would apply to your statement.

That hotel price is crazy. The Comfort Inn may be closer to the gates. If not, it's very close. Save yourself some money. You're going to be at the park all day. You just need a bed and bathroom for a few hours each day. Comfort Inn has some food and an waffle maker in the morning, too. The Comfort Inn is also closest and easiest to the interstate as well.

The new hotel (Springhill Suites) is closer to the park entrance (North Gate/Main entrance), it's right across from it in fact. It is more expensive though.

• 2 weeks later...

ok. . so. . . depending what happens with planned trips, on our radar possibly is a trip that would include Carowinds.

I've done the basic, basic research, and plan would most likely include 2 1/2 full days at the park, with a 2 night stay at tho Springheel Suites on site.

likely, would be purchasing the Silver Carowinds Season pass - only good until Labor Day, but we'd only do this one visit, and this would be cheaper than buying individual day tickets, and allow us to pop into the park a bit for a 1/2 day if we decide. being a pass holder, would also give a discount on the Hotel.

so that's the main focus. . . . BUT. . what I'm wondering is what else is in that area to do?

are there any decent parks fairly close to Carowinds, that we could fold into this trip (and by fairly close, I mean less than a 3 hour drive).

what touristy, or Cultural sites are nearby? I know there are a few things, and we love History/cultural and touristy stuff.

i will do the research, but a good start is always to ask on TPR messageboards for advice before starting.

it's all gonna depend on what the year ends up looking like what kind of Trip my Spouse and I do together. . as noted, this is an option (as is Manhattan for a few days to do Broadway shows/Coney Island), or California to do Universal & maybe Disney. . . .or, if no other offer uses up my vacation, a nice Cruise).

but I've only been to Carowinds once, and I enjoyed it immensely. This was before Copperhead Strike too, so am really interested in checking that out.

what say you, fellow TPR folks? what's in the area that could make this our trip for 2020?

^Parks within 3 hours would be Dollywood and SFOG (both are on the outer edge of that).

A cool place to visit is the Whitewater Center. There's tons of stuff to do there and if you're not into it yourself you can always hang out and watch. They have events with live music and craft beer there a lot during the summer.

There's the Nascar hall of fame if you're into that.

Charlotte Knights baseball uptown.

Those are just a few off the top of my head.

ok. . so. . . depending what happens with planned trips, on our radar possibly is a trip that would include Carowinds.

I've done the basic, basic research, and plan would most likely include 2 1/2 full days at the park, with a 2 night stay at tho Springheel Suites on site.

likely, would be purchasing the Silver Carowinds Season pass - only good until Labor Day, but we'd only do this one visit, and this would be cheaper than buying individual day tickets, and allow us to pop into the park a bit for a 1/2 day if we decide. being a pass holder, would also give a discount on the Hotel.

so that's the main focus. . . . BUT. . what I'm wondering is what else is in that area to do?

are there any decent parks fairly close to Carowinds, that we could fold into this trip (and by fairly close, I mean less than a 3 hour drive).

what touristy, or Cultural sites are nearby? I know there are a few things, and we love History/cultural and touristy stuff.

i will do the research, but a good start is always to ask on TPR messageboards for advice before starting.

it's all gonna depend on what the year ends up looking like what kind of Trip my Spouse and I do together. . as noted, this is an option (as is Manhattan for a few days to do Broadway shows/Coney Island), or California to do Universal & maybe Disney. . . .or, if no other offer uses up my vacation, a nice Cruise).

but I've only been to Carowinds once, and I enjoyed it immensely. This was before Copperhead Strike too, so am really interested in checking that out.

what say you, fellow TPR folks? what's in the area that could make this our trip for 2020?

I would say 1.5 days at Carowinds is plenty. I think 2.5 days there would be overkill at this point. With the way CF is taking Carowinds that will change but as of now 1.5 days will be plenty of time to do everything especially if you go on weekdays.

With that said, Dollywood is going to be the closest park at about 3.5 hours away. I would definitely shorten your time at Carowinds and spend more time at Dollywood. If you have already been to Dollywood a lot, SFOG is about 4 hours away and is a great park too.

Charlotte isn't really a mecca for great things to do tbh. I have been there many many times and it lacks for me. If I were you I would go to Carowinds for a day or day and a half, drive towards Dollywood or the other half of the second day and stay in a cabin in the woods for a few days and do Dollywood/mountain excursions. Pigeon Forge is the definition of touristy. Its as flashy and cheesy as it comes. It's basically Myrtle Beach in the Mountains. I like to get out of that area for a bit and actually see the beautiful nature around the area and go for hikes/waterfall watching etc.

Quick google searches will find you plenty of things to do near Dollywood that will be way more worth your time than spending to much time in Charlotte.

^ one thing to keep in mind: I'm with someone who 1) can't ride most of the big coasters/rides & 2) isn't super mobile, even tho he'll have his cane.

2 1/2 (if we're staying on property) gives enough time to slowly make our way around the park, and get plenty of rerides on things I want to ride. On at least 1 day, fast lane likely would happen too.

he's a big NASCAR fan, hence staying by Charlotte for at least a couple of days. Thought there was more "cultural" stuff there.

but if not, can possibly do something like fly into Charlotte, and do NASCAR museum, then head to Carowinds Hotel (check in spend some time in park at night), then full day at Carowinds, and then the next morning after checking out, and then driving to Dollywood for a 2 day stay there. Cabin woudln't happen. . much more likely to stay onsite at the DreamMore hotel for 3 days.

thanks for the input (you too Coasternut). . it' s on the "plan" as an option depending on what happens with the schedule for the year.

It is a lot of things to do in Charlotte that isn't park related. I wouldn't expect anyone but a local to be able to give you some examples. You really can't listen to a coaster person when it comes to local things to do lol, I would google things to do or look at events going on in the area via FB.

The Whitewater Center can be enjoyable if only for the people and activity (rafting, kayaking, ziplines) watching. It's $6 a car to park and you can wander around and check out the sights and people watch without any additional fees. If there is a music event, it can be really cool. There is a decent restaurant on site with a nice draft selection. https://usnwc.org/

There is plenty to do around Charlotte and on the way to Dollywood. I recommend a driving tour of Cades Cove since you will be right there and can get some great scenery with little effort. The Great Smoky Mountain Railroad https://www.gsmr.com/ is also a good choice on the way to Dollywood. It makes a stop at the Nantahala Outdoor Center where you can enjoy a riverside lunch before heading back. I recommend the open car for better sights and sounds.

If your SO is a big NASCAR fan, you can also tour Charlotte Motor Speedway and many of the race shops in the area as well.

I've stayed at all 4 Choice Hotels properties at that exit. I'd personally opt for something across the street. The SpringHill Suites is close, but it is not as convenient as Breakers for taking a break, IMO. Unless those rates come down, I'd stay elsewhere. The Comfort Inn is also a fine choice on that side of the road.

2 1/2 days at Carowinds seems about 1 1/2 days too many, even if walking with a cane. Your rides will be nearly, and sometimes literally, walk-on with Fastlane Plus. Hilton Head, SC is a pretty short drive from Carowinds. I'd choose (I did) to spend the extra 1 1/2 days there.

As far as Manhattan goes; we walked more in our two days in NYC than we did our whole ten day trip last summer. If you're concerned about mobility issues you should probably have your uber/lift app on lock. But, it's going to take a while to travel that way considering NYC traffic.

We made it a personal point to book out cabin far away from Pigeon Forge when we were in that area. It didn't seem like anything other than a massive ugly tourist trap to us. We went to downtown Gaitlinburg a couple times for dinner. It's 'less' of a tourist trap.

We didn't enjoy Dollywood much, since we couldn't relax with a couple beers in the evenings. As a result, when we went back to close the park out for the last few hours we pregamed with too much moonshine. I still remember the quote from a super nice cheerful middle aged woman checking our Wild Eagle restraints. "Ya'll been havin fun. I can smell it." Fun indeed.

• 4 weeks later...

ok. . . booked!

we are going to be at Carowinds mid June.

we're going to be staying onsite, as with the Marriott Bonvoy perks I get, + the discount for booking with a pass? the room was only ~$135 / night, so not bad at all. And it has the added benefit of being literally across the parking lot from the park, so the Spouse can either go back to the room - or hang on the patio which faces the park, if he gets worn out and needs to rest. We also get the benefit of free onsite parking, so won't have to worry about parking in the lot, as we'll be walking to the park from the hotel.

I'm waiting for feedback from the park on a question I sent them before purchasing actual admission, but as it stands now, likely I'll be purchasing a Silver Season Pass (good thru Labor Day), and we'll get Nick a 2day admission thru Club TPR benefits

That way when we arrive on Weekend, we can check into hotel and I can go to park for a few hours to process my pass (while he rests from the full travel day). The next day we'll head to NASCAR Museum and then out to the racetrack. . . hitting anything else interesting while were out and about in Charlotte area. . and then when we get back in the evening he'll likely nap and I'll head to the park for a few evening rides via my pass, since it's open till 10pm.

then we have a full day in the park with both of us - as it's a weekday, hoping won't need Fastlane, but willing to buy it if it looks even slightly crowded, so he wont' have to wait for me much.

final day, we'll head back to the park from 10am until ~2pm. . and then it's time to head to the airport to return the rental car for our flight back home.

so just a fairly quick trip, but we're cramming a lot in.

the reason I'm looking at getting him 2 day admission is because he WON'T want to go all 4 days (which I'll want to do), and this way he can choose what day he wants to go with me besides the full day. But again, might just make more sense to buy him a pass too.

but yay. . I get to go back to Carowinds, and fingers crossed, get some good rides on Copperhead Strike, and many rides on Fury 325.

if anyone is gonna be around and wants to meet up in Early/Mid June. . reach out. Could always use a riding buddy, since Nick will ride *very* few of the coasters with me. (likely he's only game for Caroline Goldrusher, Hurler, the Wild Mouse, and Woodstock).

• 3 weeks later...

Tomorrow was supposed to be Carowinds Season Pass Member Preview Day. Obviously that's been cancelled, but you can still virtually ride Fury 325 (and all of their other coasters!) on our YouTube channel! I'll be sharing videos for the next few weeks based on what should have been park opening days, season pass days, etc.

Who was planning to go?

Edited by SharkTums

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if carowinds will add a dry water ride like this? I know that many of you think that dry water rides are really not needed in theme parks anymore but I have to disagree. I still think their are many people out their that still would love to go on dry water rides. Like why are we seeing Mystic River Falls being built at Silver Dollar City even though it won’t be opening anytime soon due to the virus. But many people still like these rides especially in southern states where it gets extremely hot. I personally think the coaster/water ride hybrid is a good idea and they should start cloning in other parks in the USA. We are seeing dry water rides excel in other international parks overseas not so much in the USA.