TR- bert has a Spooktacular time with TPR in Japan!

Nagoya-Tokyo free day, part 3 (Gyoza cooking class!) posted
Users viewing this topic: marth555 and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: TR- bert has a Spooktacular time with TPR in Japan!

Postby bert425 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:13 am

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:I love everything about this. Pride, good eats, cool architecture--what's not to love?

and yeah, starting off the day with Himeji Castle? it really was a fantastic day (even with no Godzilla today.. that would be in 2 days from then).. .
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:53 am

Such great, accurate, story telling bert! That was such a fun improvised day. I definitely need to revisit San Antonio now. Osaka and Himeji made for a fantastic combo, but I will for sure reserve more time for Osaka proper next visit! Can't wait for your next update.
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Thee Pope » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:26 am

"No Names!"

HA! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Postby bert425 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:24 pm

^ hehehehe :)
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby bert425 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:42 pm

working on the next update - Nagashima Spaland.. it's a biggie and likely will take me most of the week to get up.

but I had filed a pic in that day, that's from the transfer day:

Elissa's message to the group showing us that the luggage had arrived from universal port.

enjoy the exciting bonus picture ! :devil:
73388517_410178593022574_3830932127327715328_n.jpg

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:14 pm

^ It still amazes me in Japan that luggage could arrive in a hotel lobby out in the open and remain perfectly safe.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- NASCAR SpeedPark & Carowinds- Fall

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:28 pm

^I know! The New Yorker in me hates this with every fiber of my being and it took me years to feel comfortable with it. Now I'm like "Sure send your laptop and passport and prescription meds by some random guy in a truck to be left unguarded in a hotel lobby!"

Postby bert425 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:31 pm

so Monday morning we got up pretty dang early - we had to: we were going to be spending the day at Nagashima Spaland, and checking out their brand new RMC, Hakugei !

The park opened at 9:30 am, but we were to meet in the lobby at 6:45 to catch a 7am train to Kuwana Station (and then a taxi ride to get to the park ~1 hour prior to open.
IMG_0948.JPG
This was advertised in the lobby of our Hotel, and I never inquired to find out if it was actually IN our Hotel, or close by . . . . because we weren't going to be back in time today (and were leaving tomorrow).

so tho I thought it might be a fun thing to do? I was happy with just a pic of the offerings to send to my Hello Kitty collecting friend.
IMG_0949.JPG
since we were leaving so early, I don't believe that I even attempted the buffet at the hotel (it opened at 6:30), and instead just went out and up the block to the 7-11 to grab a snack for the train.

here are some pics of the buildings near our Hotel in Nagoya that I found interesting.

Directly across the street from the Hotel entrance
IMG_0950.JPG
looking towards the Nagoya Station (those are all restaurants and shops in the "mall" levels stacked on top of the station)
IMG_0951.JPG
the grates in the street are so beautiful, and seemed unique based on what city we were in (or even what area of the city we were in).

wish I had taken more pics like this, but only got a handful during our trip
IMG_0952.JPG
Walking up the street to the 7-11.

more interesting buildings/scenery
IMG_0953.JPG
a Nagoya specific sewer cover
IMG_0954.JPG
Snacks in hand, back to our hotel to meet up with the group.
IMG_0955.JPG
and what did I get?

why:

"Whity Latte"

BWAAA-HAAAA-HAAAAA

(I remember thinking this wouldn't fly in the USA. . tho nowadays? who knows)
IMG_0956.JPG
also these Tiramisu snacks. . which tasted like powdered air.

the Whity Latte was good tho, and gave me some energy.
IMG_0957.JPG
and within ~30 minutes, we pulled into the Kuwana Station, and headed down to flag some taxis to get us to the park.

here's a pic from the station looking down an alley in Kuwana

if you're wondering why Nagashima Spaland is not located in Nagashima? the answer is - it IS.

Nagashima and it's sister city, Tado, were combined into the larger city of Kuwana back in 2004.
IMG_0958.JPG
in the taxi on the way to the park. . what's that I see thru the bridge struts?
the drop on Steel Dragon 2000
IMG_0961.JPG
IMG_0967.JPG
we're entering the park thru an entrance that is not the standard entrance (since we're going in before park open for a special treat to ride (and let Robb film) Hakugei).

So sharing some pics thru the taxi window as we approach, since they might be unique angles.
IMG_0968.JPG
Ltr: Ferris Wheel, Steel Dragon 2000, the drop tower (thru SD2K's lift hill), Acrobat's drop (between SD2K's 1st & 2nd hill)
IMG_0970.JPG
IMG_0972.JPG
Steel Dragon 2000 really is *massive*. . it just towers over the surrounding area
IMG_0974.JPG
Getting closer, and seeing more and more of the rides in this fantastic park.

in this pic, can see Arashi (S&S 4D freespin), the top of the Star Flyer, drop tower, SD2K lift hill, and Ultra Twister
IMG_0975.JPG
coming around to the hotel/resort area, here's Aurora (the giant Ferris Wheel), and the Chute the Shoots ride
IMG_0976.JPG
Wowza. . Hakugei is *beautiful*

it's getting a little overcast, and the day is supposed to have some off and on showers . . .so this might end up being a challenging day (since many things shut down if raining), but we're prepared for it.
IMG_0977.JPG
just look at those beautiful curves
IMG_0978.JPG
the Taxis dropped us all off near the "Garden Hotel Olive" and we met up with the park reps.. who started walking us back towards the park.

Here's the gate that hotel guests would go thru. . tho we're going to go around this, and enter thru a maintenance gate closer to Hakugei.
IMG_0979.JPG
the 1st drop, thru the trees, as we're walking around to the gate.

Holy crap, this is breathtaking.
IMG_0980.JPG
looking across the park, as we walk

LtR: Viking (Nagashima Spaland has THREE swinging ships called "Viking" - two giant ones on a raised platform, and a standard size one on the ground nearby), Space Shot (drop tower), Steel Dragon 2000, the top of the Star Flyer, and the top of the Giant Frisbee (you can make out "giant" in the lettering)
IMG_0981.JPG
Employee parking (exciting!!. . LOL), with the Aurora Giant Ferris wheel peeking out behind.
IMG_0982.JPG
and here we go, into the park.
IMG_0983.JPG
this really is a beautiful park. . I could tell from the moment we set foot inside.

tho it is very strangely layed out, without any "logical" paths - they seem to just plop rides down wherever they can fit them, and then route paths around (or under) them.

It could make it a challenge to find specific attractions, but if you're like me - who just enjoys wandering and riding things as you come across them? I love this.
IMG_0985.JPG
Entering right by the main entrance to Hakugei (that white "tower" structure). . this particular angle gives a great view of Aurora, Hakugei's track, Steel Dragon 2000, and straight ahead: Freefall - a 1st Generation Intamin Drop Tower.

this was supposed to be closed for Maintenance (Freefall & Shuttle Loop coaster). .but during our day here today, it was spotted testing, and they actually opened it up while we were there and we got a chance to ride it!

the only things that were closed during our visit: Shuttle Loop, Flying Carpet (which was a shame, as it's a suspended version, where yo hang under the chassis), and BobKarts. the last two were because of the rain, which came off and on thruout the day, so i fully suspect that's why they never opened.

gives me reason to want to come back (not that Arashi, Hakugei, and SD2K weren't enough reason to want to go back). but really, the park was pretty amazing in getting things back up after they would go down for sudden downpours.

and the truth is? the weather kept a LOT of folks away today. . we were expecting a packed day due to a holiday weekend, but the recent Typhoon, and the weather really seemed to impact crowds today.

the park ops were fantastic tho, and I really appreciated that they worked so hard to get everything up and running if it went down for weather (took us 2 tries for Free Fall, and three tries for Looping Star (which twice shut down the line as we were getting into it, due to drizzle). .but we eventually got on most everything).
IMG_0986.JPG
anyways, we're in the park, and standing in front of this beauty.
IMG_0987.JPG
stun-ning.
IMG_0988.JPG
this is the only pic I have of me on Hakugei, since the cubbies to store your belongings are the level below the station. So all our phones and cameras, were properly stored away prior to our time riding/Robb filming.

here's Luke and I in the front seat :)

I believe this pic is courtesy of Elissa.

the ride is amazing, and I love it. . I've gone on and on about how much I loved it before, so won't bore you here. . but I will say again, it's fantastic.

and the ride Robb filmed, where it started to POUR the moment the train pulled out of the station, and didn't stop until we got back into the station? one of my favorite experiences EVER on a roller coaster.

wholly crap did that rain hurt, but thank goodness on that particular ride, I had moved out of the front seat and was sitting more towards the back of the train - so I had lots of people blocking the stinging rain.
But we were all laughing, and screaming, and loving every moment of this ride (I'll link the video Robb filmed after this post so y'all can see just how wet it got).

after we got back into the station, we all got handed towels, and helped dry off the train, so we could get another lap or two before Robb's filming time was up.

overall, I think I got 5-6 rides on Hakugei before the park opened to the public, and it's way, WAY up there near the top of my favorite coasters list. My favorite element is the outwards wave turn, after the double-up following the 1st drop. But the extended stall about 1/2 way thru the ride is another favorite stand out moment.
IMG_0989.JPG
our ride time done ,we all headed over (with Park reps) to "Cafeteria Picnic" restaurant area, to get a brief presentation of the park, get park maps handed out, as well as give us some "skip the line" tickets - remember, this was expected to be a really busy day due to the holiday weekend.

we were asked that if we did *not* use the fast pass tickets, to please not toss them, but rather to return them at the end of day so the park could track how many got used.

we were also handed out lunch vouchers, and then we sat and visited with the park reps for about 15 minutes until the park officially opened to the public - at which time we would be welcome to make our way out into the park and we'd be on our own for the day.

A few of us inquired about restroom break, and as this particular restaurant didn't have attached restrooms, we had to go out across the walkway to the separate facilities.

it was during this break that i noticed Steel Dragon 2000 had started testing, so stopped on my way back to snap a few pics.

in this pic LtR: Looping Stars track (orange/white supports), Star Flyer tower , Freefall (which at this point we thought was down0, Arashi (4D spinner), and the Wild Mouse (which I did NOT ride, even tho it was operating, at least 1 side of it).
IMG_0990.JPG
IMG_0991.JPG
IMG_0992.JPG
IMG_0993.JPG
here's a pic of the park map.

numbers are attractions, letters are restaurants / shops.

so you can see what I mean about how much they crammed into the park.
IMG_0994.JPG
back inside the Cafeteria Picnic restaurant, with a few minutes still until the park opened, they started testing the Shoot-the-Chute.

which surprised me, since it was looking like it was going to be a pretty wet day off and on.

The amount of water this sucker kicked up would drench any rider - but I guess if you're coming to a park that's 1/3rd water park (or spa-land)? you'd expect to get wet.
IMG_0995.JPG
IMG_0996.JPG
IMG_0997.JPG
IMG_0998.JPG
IMG_0999.JPG
SKLOOSH !!!!
IMG_1001.JPG
IMG_1001a.JPG
Park was just about to open, and we were going to be released from our holding area. . but of course I had to take a pic of the Carousel horse that was inside the restaurant :)

and then, we were welcomed to the park, and told to enjoy our day.

tho it wasn't an "official" ERT, I think pretty much everyone in the group headed directly to:
IMG_1002.JPG
yup. . if it was possible that weather was going to force this to close, many of us wanted to make sure we got at least 1 ride on it :)
IMG_1005.JPG
I can't believe I'm here at this coaster, that I've seen online for well over a decade.

(and Alex can't believe I'm taking yet another picture). . LOL
IMG_1003.JPG
we still got to the entrance just a few moments before it was officially open, so Robb took the opportunity to get a "TPR at SD2K" photo.
IMG_1006.JPG
from the queue, looking up at the lift hill of SD2K

the front gates are now open, so a few other folks are headed this way to join us in line.
IMG_1007.JPG
this would be that wave turn (on the left) that is my favorite part of Hakugei.

pic from the Steel Dragon 2000 line.
IMG_1009.JPG
the gates opened, we headed thru the queue, and got on the coaster!

(tho not before a selfie taken).
IMG_1009a.JPG
Elissa wasn't riding, but was able to take these great shots of a mostly TPR train as it pulled out of the station.

(the front row went to some folks with skip the line passes, and the rest of the train filled in with the customers who had come in when park opened).
IMG_1009b.JPG
IMG_1009c.JPG
IMG_1150.JPG
it is a really great ride, tho without a lot of "air time" on the front half. . but once you hit the bunny hops on the way back after the giant helixes, you do get some . . the speed on it is incredible tho, and I really liked it.

enough that a handful of us went right back to get in line and ride it again (on the chance that bad weather might shut it down).

ride rules sign.

NOTED.
IMG_1151.JPG
the 2nd ride was more towards the back, and I found it rode a lot better in the back - with the train hauling butt, it really pulls the back seats thru those hills. Good stuff.
IMG_1010.JPG
since we were right next to it, and it was operating, some of us then headed over to Ultra Twister.

I haven't ridden one of these in almost 15 years - not since Astroworld closed (and some on the trip had never ridden one), so I was looking forwards to it.

the seat was a little more snug than I recalled it being (heh), and tho i absolutely recalled the "Ker-CHUNK" at the back portion of the ride - and was prepared for it?

I wasn't prepared for how rough the rest of the ride was gonna be. It was really shaky. . .shaky to the point of being pretty uncomfortable.

for something I had been looking forwards to, I really didn't care for it. Glad I rode it, but 1 and done for me.
IMG_1011.JPG
it DOES photograph well tho, doesn't it?
IMG_1012.JPG
IMG_1013.JPG
after Ultra Twister, we went over to Arashi - since we were still in the area.

I'm not a huge fan of the S&S freespins, tho I like them well enough. Arashi is kind of infamous for how MUCH it spins.

and man, those warnings were accurate.. i lost count after the 8th spin. This was an absolutely FANTASTIC ride.

i loved this so much? I bought an Arashi T-shirt (which barely fits me). . but I really, really liked it. The magnet I got from Nagashima Spaland? also Arashi.

tho I liked Hakugei better? this is my solid #2 in the park.

(with my #3 - Steel Dragon 2000 - going up the lift hill behind Arashi in this pic)
IMG_1014.JPG
SD2K thru Arashi's track.
IMG_1015.JPG
Arashi has a unique loading station in that there are separate queues on either side, for loading of the trains.

but oddly, the station facing towards Steel Dragon 2000 was closed. and I don't mean it was closed, so they were loading both sides from only one station. . I mean it was closed.

They were only loading 1 side of the trains.

now this could really hurt capacity - especially on a busy day, tho this didn't really impact us since it was a quiet day.

but how can this be good for the trains? wouldn't it mess up the balance on the ride and add up to maintenance issues?

it was weird to only see them loading one side of the trains.
IMG_1016.JPG
tho I do really like the different colors on the trains, and think they make the ride look a bit more unique.
IMG_1017.JPG
the "warning" sign at Arashi.

i don't read Japanese. . but I assume this says: "This ride will spin the s#!t outta you, you *better* have empty pockets"
IMG_1019.JPG
yup. . I LOVED this.
IMG_1020.JPG
and tho Steel Dragon 2000 was only running one train, they were pumping them out, so I could see even if it had been a super busy day, this line would have been moving pretty steady. Tho it's a fairly long coaster.
IMG_1021.JPG
the park still was pretty empty, so I believe we headed back across the park to take another lap on Hakugei - and to grab these pics as the train flies by.
IMG_1022.JPG
IMG_1024.JPG
it was starting to drizzle again, and Robb had mentioned to us that the park had recently gotten a new shooting ride (that was an upcharge).

looking at the park brochure, the park had gotten a new "digital experience" area, that also included fishing, shooting gallery, and this new ride - that had just opened in April.

it's called "FARM de BANG BANG!". . . and it's a variation on Toy Story Mania type shooting ride.

it was ~$5 upcharge, but man was it worth it. it was SO crazy/nuts and so much fun.
IMG_1025.JPG
because it was raining and because it was a slow day, we were really the only ones in line.
IMG_1027.JPG
the "guns" are carrots!

how awesome is this?
IMG_1028.JPG
our 3D glasses are on. . and we have our carrots armed and ready. . . let's go blow some stuff up!

me, David, and Jon (the ringer. . LOL)
IMG_1028a.jpg
William took a pic of our carrot car too :)
IMG_1029.JPG
this is what amounted to "Halloween Decoration' on this side of the park. . tho closer to the spa section - which was closed today - is where all the zombie stuff would be happening later today, so I was fine with just a pumpkin here.
IMG_1030.JPG
shocking. . look who's score broke 6 figures. . .LOL
IMG_1031.JPG
by the time we were done with our ride, the rain had pretty much stopped, and we saw Looping Star cycling.

so we headed over that way to try and get a ride on this Schwarzkopf
IMG_1032.JPG
unfortunately, as we got to the entrance gate, the staff had just hung the chain across, saying more rain was coming
(which was a bit frustrating, as you can see in this pic, Steel Dragon 2K is going up the lift hill), but oh well, we had the whole day there still, so plenty of time to try and get a ride on this coaster.
IMG_1034.JPG
so we headed next door to it for Nagashima Spaland's Haunted House
IMG_1036.JPG
they aren't kidding around here. . . I mean, yes, the figures are a bit "traveling Carnival" and the animatronic portions are a bit "iffy".. but damn if they aren't effective.

and most of the scares involved heads - decapitated heads, floating decapitated heads, stretching decapitated heads.

I absolutely adored this attraction. .and it was a pretty long walk thru too.
IMG_1037.JPG
IMG_1038.JPG
IMG_1039.JPG
IMG_1040.JPG
possibly my favorite gag in the whole thing. . . the crucified person's head detached and flew across the room to a cross on the other side of the room.

it was so great!
IMG_1041.JPG
IMG_1042.JPG
this house was so good, that after we finished our walk thru, I went back thru again (and this time we convinced Allison & Alex to go thru with us), to take pictures.

many came out too dark to share, but these that I have shared came out pretty good I thought.
IMG_1043.JPG
the drizzle had stopped, tho things were all still a bit moist.. so we decided that we should probably go eat something, as it was getting close to 11:30am.

as we passed FreeFall, we noticed there was some activity on the platform, tho it looked like they were just clearing water and wiping down the cars. Stopped and took a picture of it tho, and we talked about how we wished it would open and maybe they would finish the maintenance early and it would open for us anyways, even tho it was supposed to be down.

and we continued on our way over towards the restaurant we'd decided to go eat at: "Park Restaurant"

(such a clever name).
IMG_1044.JPG
on our way to the place for lunch we walked right underneath the Giant Frisbee. . which although I didn't ride, still thought it was worthy to take a pic of.

reminds me of Joker at SFFT, tho this one was actually a frisbee and spun quite a bit as it swung back and forth.
IMG_1045.JPG
ah there ya go. . my memory is pretty good . . the clock on the Aurora ferris wheel appears to be showing 11:27am.

to be continued in Part II
Last edited by bert425 on Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:42 am.

Postby bert425 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:33 pm

and here's the video Robb filmed (I'm way in the back row on the right in my red shirt)

BWAAA-HAAAA-HAAAA. .this makes me smile so big every time!

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:56 pm

Great report! Congratulations for now ruining every single free spin in the United States. :lol:

I remember Ultra Twister having a brutal brake at the far end, but found it smooth otherwise.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- NASCAR SpeedPark & Carowinds- Fall

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!