TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I'm seeing reports (from KD Fan sites) that Kings Dominion is in process of removing "the Crypt" prior to the start of the 2020 season.

I'm kind of shocked that the removal wasn't pre-announced, or that anything wasn't announced for that space - as with Volcano closed, that's a nice corner of the park that now only have Avalanche there, right?

hmmm. . wonder if a new flat is going in there, or if they need the space for whatever is going in to replace Volcano?

I'm seeing reports (from KD Fan sites) that Kings Dominion is in process of removing "the Crypt" prior to the start of the 2020 season.

I'm kind of shocked that the removal wasn't pre-announced, or that anything wasn't announced for that space - as with Volcano closed, that's a nice corner of the park that now only have Avalanche there, right?

hmmm. . wonder if a new flat is going in there, or if they need the space for whatever is going in to replace Volcano?

When Valleyfair removed theirs a couple years ago, they didn't announce it. I don't think the last couple parks to remove theirs announced it either. And this was the last Huss one in the chain (good riddance); Canada's Wonderland has a Mondial version.

I doubt it was removed for whatever takes Volcano's place. Avalanche is still in the way. Although the entrance could be rerouted/Avalanche could be removed. Both options are doubtful. I think Crypt is leaving just because it's an old piece of sh!t.

Thinking about visiting on Sunday April 26th. Park is open 10:30-8 PM. Anyone speak to the crowd level this time of year? Reckon it shouldn't be too bad, but can get two tickets, parking, and two meal deals for $90, which seems unbeatable. We won't be purchasing fast lane. Possible to hit the coasters up in one day? Ate at Country Kitchen last time, would like to try something different for our meals. Thanks!

Thinking about visiting on Sunday April 26th. Park is open 10:30-8 PM. Anyone speak to the crowd level this time of year? Reckon it shouldn't be too bad, but can get two tickets, parking, and two meal deals for $90, which seems unbeatable. We won't be purchasing fast lane. Possible to hit the coasters up in one day? Ate at Country Kitchen last time, would like to try something different for our meals. Thanks!

the mac & cheese place over near Bad Apple (in Candy Apple Grove) was really good last time I was there (in 2018).

but I'd trust any suggestion from Chuck

https://www.kingsdominion.com/blog/2020/our-crypts-are-sealed

Nope – no special Haunt announcements…yet.

Today we have some news to share regarding one of our thrill ride attractions, the Crypt, in Safari Village.

Originally donned Tomb Raider, the Crypt debuted in 2005 and has given nearly four million riders a wicked spin through the years. And now, it’s time to seal the crypt for good.

Why? Like many decisions, removing the Crypt is about improving guest experience and in this case, even future adventures for our guests. While we aren’t ready to say what that means…get ready.

Things are lurking in the jungle.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

I don't particularly care that that they're removing this thing but I'm also not buying into this teaser campaign at all and it seems like they're just trying to put a positive spin on something. When they started this teaser campaign last year I doubt that THEY even knew exactly what they were teasing. By now, who knows. They're probably going to put a coaster in Volcano's spot eventually and they can just sort of re-develop the whole area into something new that costs them much less to operate than it did when they had a Top Spin and a prototype multi-launched Intamin there but this is totally a budget move because it's a notoriously expensive, maintenance-intensive ride and parks all over the country are systematically removing them. It's not like they couldn't work around it.

Wow... sorry for being such a Madmax right there. I feel better now.

Edited by coasterbill

I'm glad I was able to ride it back in June. I was surprised to see it operating when I was there, so I made sure to jump on it. It made me miss Riptide at Knott's a little. The ride and theming is fun, but I think my favorite part of the whole experience was watching a random guy's pockets get emptied during the ride. The fire at the bottom burning everything, including a credit card and $100 bill! That was entertaining.

As much as I like these rides, I understand their removal. I will still gladly take HangTime over Boomerang and Riptide. Volcano's replacement (and that whole area) will be great in a few years. Since BGW is currently losing their minds with their new additions, hopefully Kings Dominion can be a *little* competitive in the future.

But seriously how can you compete with two kicka$$ Intamins in back-to-back years at the world's most beautiful theme park

Honestly I won't miss Crypt at all (I've never been a fan of flippy rides), but this does raise a concern that if their future plans involve both Crypt's spot and Volcano's, that Avalanche's days are numbered. Which would be a damned shame, regardless of what replaces it.

it was the first (and only) Top Spin I've ever been on.

made a point to ride it on the USA tour in 2018.

wouldn't say I LOVED it, but I liked it a lot.

sad it's being removed, as even just for the theming, it was great - and it looked amazing at night.

IMG_4787.thumb.JPG.c2a90c7831f7981cc01304be9ca29f5f.JPG

IMG_4788.thumb.JPG.87ebba98cd3b13dd4db68572d474585d.JPG

IMG_4895.thumb.JPG.b5221d08a5f256bfe1b6d55e16d3ac30.JPG

I think top spins are super fun to both ride and watch. Especially ones like this with such great theming. I’m sad to see KD has removed two of their most unique and well-themed rides in 2 seasons without replacement. (And if the replacement is a B&M wing coaster... )

I personally love top spins. I don’t see the reasoning at this point. All the US parks are pulling them meanwhile parks overseas that have them have refurbished them and they’re running like new. Cedar Fair Parks are literally becoming coaster parks with a kids section lol. Wait Voodoo at SixFlags Discovery Kingdom is still SBNO after almost 7 or 8 years now with overgrown weeds and vines all over it.

I personally love top spins. I don’t see the reasoning at this point. All the US parks are pulling them meanwhile parks overseas that have them have refurbished them and they’re running like new. Cedar Fair Parks are literally becoming coaster parks with a kids section lol. Wait Voodoo at SixFlags Discovery Kingdom is still SBNO after almost 7 or 8 years now with overgrown weeds and vines all over it.

Alton Towers and Chessington have also removed theirs.

Edited by Garet

Moser's model seems to just do a lot less. You can never get that model to do 6+ whiplash-speed spins like you can with the HUSS models. From what I've experienced the original HUSS Top Spin with the floored carriage is the most intense - once momentum gets going there you really feel like you're out of control. The floorless model like Crypt could have some intense moments but it never got the crushing-G's intensity that the floored models produce.

The floorless model built into the wall at Phantasialand is on my bucket list.

Maybe it's coincidence, but I always saw a lot of nearly empty cycles on top spins.

Voodoo must be the new Hanibarrels, which probably set a world record for SBNO at SFStl. Likely, it's only a matter of time before Voodoo becomes an all-new attraction at La Ronde.

Kings Dominion has quietly announced that The Crypt has closed permanently with only a tease that "things are lurking in the jungle." This is likely tied to the larger project taking place in the plot of the former Volcano coaster next door.

Edit: I missed that this was already posted... Sorry about that!

Edited by jedimaster1227