TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

p. 61: Jewels of the Sea Jellyfish Experience coming in 2024!

• 2 weeks later...
Why is the hammerhead not considered as an inversion on this ride when the cutback on Hangtime is?? That looks more inverted than Hangtime’s element.

Because there's no rhyme or reason to this at all and people just make it up as they go. Example: Dorney says that this is an inversion.

25443010_10213754236844524_5148670321675340770_n.thumb.jpg.c58de7fdbefc4a7049ca01625a01de08.jpg

I wouldn't try to make sense of what is and isn't an inversion since everyone has a different opinion including the parks and I'm not even convinced that THEY believe what they come up with.

Edited by coasterbill

• 2 weeks later...

I’m surprised this hasn’t been posted already, but Emperor hit two major milestones on Tuesday. Track work was completed AND the first train was put on the tracks.

I’m stoked to finally have a B&M dive machine here on the west coast - and only 2-3 hours away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great. I don't mind the vest restraints too much either. They also make much more sense on these dive coasters with inversion-heavy layouts that include wing coaster-esque elements, like slow zero-g rolls and corkscrews. If the ride's drop was the only feature, it would be more irritating.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the B&Ms with vest restraints have a slightly lower height requirement, so maybe that was favorable to SeaWorld.

Is this the first dive machine with the vest restraints? That third row airtime is gonna be wicked.

Nope. Cedar Point's dive opened in 2017 with vests. Seems like if there's a slow inversion on the ride they'll get the vests. Yukon Striker has em too.

I think April is a realistic expectation. Orion’s track work was finished only a week before Emperor’s, and its opening day is 4/11. Emperor will probably open around the same time.

For what it's worth, Electric Eel didn't open until mid-May and had a very similar construction timeline as Emperor.

I am anticipating a mid-May opening. If it's earlier, then great!

Electric Eel probably took longer to get up and running than Emperor will, simply because it has an LSM launch system as opposed to a simple chain lift.

My construction mgmt firm actually bid on this project. We didn't get it unfortunately as I've always wanted to build a coaster but during the interview process they mentioned Memorial Day weekend was the targeted opening date. Seems like they may be ahead of schedule.

Honestly, other than training and "breaking in" the ride for the summer season, there's not much reason to open it at that park, in particular, before Memorial Day weekend. as they are generally dead during the week. Outside of enthusiasts and locals, they aren't get that much of a spike from vacationers until summer anyway. It's a bit different with Orlando/Tampa with other parks that bring people to the area. With that said, they could easily have it open by or before Easter if they really wanted to with the track completed already.